or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Samsung BDP1400 Disussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung BDP1400 Disussion Thread - Page 420

post #12571 of 12884
I miss Barney too! I never had any BD loading problems until I went from 1.9 to 2.1. I did not try 2.2 yet b/c I just got a PS3 slim and waiting to swap them out. I thought my Samsung was not bad until the FW 2.# series.
post #12572 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekeiser View Post

Thanks dsok I just downgraded and it works fine, menu popups gone. I'll spread the word.

Have you tried to play a Universal title because i can get one past the load screen? BTW i downgraded yesterday to the 2.1 FW just to play Avatar and the movie played flawless. No audio drop out or menu timeline pop ups.
post #12573 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by cky View Post

Have you tried to play a Universal title because i can get one past the load screen? BTW i downgraded yesterday to the 2.1 FW just to play Avatar and the movie played flawless. No audio drop out or menu timeline pop ups.

Only two Universal films I have are The Incredible Hulk and Serenity, just tested both and they played no problems. Actually historically I haven't had problems with movie compatibility on this player. Underworld Rise of the Lycans was the only one that straight up did not play (it was Netflix so I didn't care much, just sent it back), and then Avatar's popup/audio cutout.

My main issues have always been load speed, failure to load SOMETIMES (then eject disc and try again, then it works). I've actually been pretty happy as far as its playability of movies I've wanted to watch, but overall I feel it's a fairly unpolished product. Not bad as I took a risk as an early adopter.
post #12574 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

I miss Barney too!

as do i. the board is not the same without him
post #12575 of 12884
I updated to FW 2.2 just to watch Avatar... before reading this forum. Is there a historical copy of FW 2.1 for the BD-P1400. It was so frustrating trying to watch Avatar last night. Completely stopped right before the big battle.

Update: Found FW2.1 online and created a CD, updated my BD-P1400 (it took a while.) and now it works very well. great sound. Remember to reset your Audio to Bitstream and Video to 1080p. Load time is still about 5 minutes but now I have great sound, picture and NO MORE random POPUPS or Popping sounds.
post #12576 of 12884
I gave up the battle and picked up a BDP-1600 at Sam's yesterday. The 1600 blows the 1400 away. The Samsung appears within 5 seconds, and the Blu Ray movie loads much faster, I could not believe it. What a difference! The 1600 is about 2/3 the size of the 1600 and has all connections except 5.1 analog connecters on rear. However you pick up two USB ports, one in front and one in rear for f/w upgrades and a feature called "BD Live". Manual also claims you can download movies from Netflix, youtube, etc.
post #12577 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon04 View Post

I gave up the battle and picked up a BDP-1600 at Sam's yesterday. The 1600 blows the 1400 away. The Samsung appears within 5 seconds, and the Blu Ray movie loads much faster, I could not believe it. What a difference! The 1600 is about 2/3 the size of the 1600 and has all connections except 5.1 analog connecters on rear. However you pick up two USB ports, one in front and one in rear for f/w upgrades and a feature called "BD Live". Manual also claims you can download movies from Netflix, youtube, etc.

imo, you may be lucky. i've read probably as many complaints re the 1600 as the 1400, iirc.
however, i'd try a 1600 myself if it had the 5.1 outs. altho a 1600 seems a bit out of date these days.

as it stands now, since i've purchased a $60 sylvania bdp as a backup, if the 1400 won't play something, hopefully the sylvania will (alas, also no 5.1 outs; but couldn't resist the price.)
post #12578 of 12884
Played Avartar with no problems with 2.1 firmware. Only weird thing was when I paused the movie longer than the stupidass Samsung 5 minute timeout, the movie itself asked me if I wanted to resume from where I paused it. Coooool, I thought...Until I picked resume and it took me to the end of the disc with the THX demo
post #12579 of 12884
tonite i finally got around to watching the '2012' bd. loaded and played flawlessly on this ol' 1400 (fw1.9).
fun movie, great effects. didn't get bored. which is good.
post #12580 of 12884
One difference I noticed with the BDP-1600 vs the BDP-1400 is resuming play from same position on Blu Ray movie after STOP. It may only with this particular movie ("Traffic") but it was great not having to go back from the beginning to find the same location. I have read earlier threads on the 1400 that some movies have no problems.

I was comparing the BDP-1600 to the Song BDP-360. I did not like the fact the whole front panel of the Sony has to be flipped down to access the disk drawer. Also I have read the Sony does not have an open/close button on the remote. Both units were about the same price at Sam's, less than $110.
post #12581 of 12884
So no one can get Avatar to play with 2.2? or is this isolated to some people? How about the regular dvd of Avatar, any problem playing that with the 1400? Thanks for info.
post #12582 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 View Post

So no one can get Avatar to play with 2.2? or is this isolated to some people? How about the regular dvd of Avatar, any problem playing that with the 1400? Thanks for info.

AFAIK no one has reported being able to play it without the previously mentioned problems with 2.2
post #12583 of 12884
It can be played and load without problems but there are menu pop ups and audio drop out on FW 2.2.
post #12584 of 12884
How about the regular Avatar dvd on the 1400, any luck getting that to run?
post #12585 of 12884
No problems with the standard DVD and my Eight Track copy plays just fine also.
post #12586 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerowarp View Post

No problems with the standard DVD and my Eight Track copy plays just fine also.

Now be nice. Just askin'. I'd like to see the movie without redoing the firmware and without sound drops and other junk. So dvd would seem to fit the bill.
post #12587 of 12884
I feel your pain. I watched Avatar the day it came out. The disc loaded up and played without a hitch (FW2.1). I played it again the next night for some friends, no probs. Later, some friends wanted to demo Dark Knight and I couldn't get it to load up. I put Avatar back in and it wouldn't load up. I was freaking out. I ended up buying some crappy lense cleaning disc and eventually reloaded FW 2.1 and everything is running smooth again. These 1400's are great when they work but man, when they go south, they go SOUTH.
post #12588 of 12884
well, i just went over to wallyworld and blew $25 on the 'avatar' bd. got it home, cleaned it, test loaded and played it on my $60 sylvania bdp and the samsung bdp1400 (fw1.9) thru my flat panel hdtv (hdmi).

on the sylvania it only took about half as long to load and start playing than on the samsung.
roughly 2 mins vs ~3.5 mins on the samsung. figures, huh!

once it started playing on either, no problems arose. i ran it on both machines only for about 10 mins on each. will watch for real on projector/screen soon.
post #12589 of 12884
Does anyone know if there is a quality difference between BDs you buy at Walmart vs. other retailers? I bought Star Trek tonight at walmart and the Audio just doesn't seem as good as the rental I watched from Hollywood video. Maybe Avatar has just spoiled me.
post #12590 of 12884
I just took a look at Samsungs site & 2.3, dated 4-30 is available! I don't have Avatar yet but I'd guess this fixes the problems.
post #12591 of 12884
Thanks for the info. If anyone tries it, let us know how it works. I'm waiting for someone braver then me to try it to see if 1. it fixes Avatar and 2. it doesn't mess up everything else.
post #12592 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by innuss View Post

I just took a look at Samsungs site & 2.3, dated 4-30 is available! I don't have Avatar yet but I'd guess this fixes the problems.

i'm keeping this 1400 on 1.9 so i don't have to guess.

avatar takes a long time to load but it does work. (on my 1400 anyway).
post #12593 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by innuss View Post

I just took a look at Samsungs site & 2.3, dated 4-30 is available! I don't have Avatar yet but I'd guess this fixes the problems.

Lets just hope that it doesnt mess up playback for other movies like FW 2.1 and down.
Im downloading now and i let you guys know if theres issues with past blus.
post #12594 of 12884
SOMEBODY TRY 2.3 and post. Really didn't want to go back to 2.1
post #12595 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobminges View Post

SOMEBODY TRY 2.3 and post. Really didn't want to go back to 2.1

Go ahead Bob, try it. We'll wait at the car.
post #12596 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

well, i just went over to wallyworld and blew $25 on the 'avatar' bd. got it home, cleaned it, test loaded and played it on my $60 sylvania bdp and the samsung bdp1400 (fw1.9) thru my flat panel hdtv (hdmi).

on the sylvania it only took about half as long to load and start playing than on the samsung.
roughly 2 mins vs ~3.5 mins on the samsung. figures, huh!

once it started playing on either, no problems arose. i ran it on both machines only for about 10 mins on each. will watch for real on projector/screen soon.

i just 're-tested' the 'avatar' bd on my 1400 so as to be sure yesterdays test-load/play wasn't a fluke.

nope, it wasn't. loaded up and played just fine, this time for a half hour with no issues. then i shut if off.

still on fw1.9.
post #12597 of 12884
My Alvin 2 still has menu pop ups. All my movies that had problems with past updates load and play, but there is no knowing till i sit and watch the movies in full. As for Avatar i dont have the movie right now since my uncle used it. But he will be returning it today most likely. Im not holding my breath that it will play fine due to the fact that my Alvin 2 still has the menu pop ups.
post #12598 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by cky View Post

My Alvin 2 still has menu pop ups. All my movies that had problems with past updates load and play, but there is no knowing till i sit and watch the movies in full. As for Avatar i dont have the movie right now since my uncle used it. But he will be returning it today most likely. Im not holding my breath that it will play fine due to the fact that my Alvin 2 still has the menu pop ups.

If your on fw 2.2 you will have some issues. I'm going install 2.3 in a little while. I let you know if it solves anything.
post #12599 of 12884
I'm so sick of this crap. I've had it with this player. I tried to watch Avatar with the FW 2.2 update, and got the audio dropouts, and menu popups that many of you have reported.

I'm loading the FW 2.3 update right now ... will report back. I'm officially in the market for a new BD player. Any suggestions on make/model are appreciated. I'm looking for the following:

- faster load times
- firmware updates via WiFi or USB
- a player that works the 1st time I put a movie disc into it, not the 2nd or 3rd time like this piece of crap.
post #12600 of 12884
Fw 2.3 is loaded and working. Avatar, as far as i can tell plays great. No pop ups that I came across and the audio was great. I put in Star Trek and had no probs with it. I do believe that the pop up menus are running quit smooth and seem more responsive. I'm sure someone is going to find an issue with this fw...it can't be perfect, it came from Samsung.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Samsung BDP1400 Disussion Thread