or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Samsung BDP1400 Disussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung BDP1400 Disussion Thread - Page 222

post #6631 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_DaPurple1 View Post

40? virgin, wedding singer, or the walk hard guy?

Maybe SS will have a heart and follow the rest of CE stores HD DVD apologists and gives us credit for trading our 1400 to get a 1500? maybe not... Mahhahahaha!

Tho, once had a dream when all the movie studios were offering to buy back all HD DVD's for an even exchange of the BD version.... Delusional, big time!

So, was the dream in 1080p?
post #6632 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

- Sent unit via UPS Friday April 24.
- UPS said the unit was delivered on Monday 28 around 1:38 PM.
- Samsung website says they received it on Tuesday 29 around 4:00 PM
- Check Samsung website today and it now indicates the unit was repaired on Wednesday 30 One day turnaround time, impressive but I'm little worry now. Are they just going to send me the unit back because maybe they couldn't replicate the problem? Perhaps they know exactly what the problem is and thus know exactly what to repair? or was the problem obvious when they removed the cover? Are they just going to ship me a refurbished or brand new unit ? A lot of question unanswered at this point. Hopefully they will let me know.
- Now waiting for them to send me the shipping information via email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Shipping today!!! Tracking information no yet available on UPS website. I hope they actually fixed the problem either by actually repair it or replacement. I'm being a little bit skeptical because of the fast turn around time. I will be really pissed if they did just a firmware upgrade


Scheduled delivery date of 05/02/2008 Yes.
post #6633 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephmckinney View Post

Hey Rveras, good news on the turnaround. I would assume that you will be receiving a refurbished unit. I wouldn't worry to much about the quick turnaround time. They probably have a bunch of refurbs sitting around waiting to go so that the turnaround time doesn't tick off the warranty customers any more then they already are. That way they can fix the broken ones at their leisure. At least this is how Microsoft handled my 360 RROD.

Now, hopefully I'll see mine back as fast as you'll be seeing yours!

You are must likely right about this since Samsung didn't provide any comments on their repair tracking website describing what they did. I just hope I don't get a lemon. I know too many negative thoughts. Think positive rveras, think positve........
post #6634 of 12884
Had no audio or video problem playing 27 Dresses with the 1400. What a rush. It was really nice hearing "Bennie and the Jets" again. The movie DTS Master Audio is very accurate and on the musical soundtrack scenes, the surrounds were "wholesome", especially the bar scene with Bennie and the Jets playing. Makes you want to karaoke-along ! Definitely a must have a get out of the dog house with the wife pass. I think I just scored some "in the mood points" with The Wife with this boomoo! Maybe ol' Barney will get lucky and doing a little "scoring" with her tonight .

On FW 1.7 @ 1080p/24 fps off - bitstream audio.

Loading Time Info:
41 seconds to the red INTERPOL screen
16 seconds to the first preview screen (immediately hit Main Menu)
12 seconds to the Main Menu screen
---
1:09 total load time (I've double checked the math )

BTW, never knew what the lyrics mean?

Ooh, in the wind the waterfall
Oh, baby, she's a "revocaine"
She's got electric boobs
And mohair shoes ???
Bennie and the Jets!


Elton was on some serious stuff when he wrote this song!

Waaay too deep for Barney.
post #6635 of 12884
First order of businness, no DTS Master Audio Bitstream Bomb @ and around the 19:00 mark. This is the scene where Billy's demon is being choked by Mrs. Coulter's (Nicole Kidman, prrr ) demon and transitioning to the three guy (popes) scheming something ("Lord Dukoo from SW?"). Possibly mistaken for the loud abrupt scene of the monkey choking Billy's demon? I remembered it being very loud at the theaters as they, the directors, were trying to scare you.

Concurring with Larry earlier, if you pause and start the playback again during the movie, a noticable "pop" (not the DTS bomb) is heard consistently each and everytime.

Playback from 47:00 to 49:00 does not produce audio or video skips/stutter. Problem can not be repeated. This is the scene when Lyra is talking to the witch, Serafina Pekkala (don't know why but it makes me chuckle everytime you say her name )

oh btw, also concurring with someone earlier mentioning after the 5-10 minute pause instance, and 1400 goes to the samsung blue screen, hit play and the movie resumed playback @ the exact last location of the movie. Which is a good thing!

Other than that, good movie!

I have an updated DSPs Onkyo 805.
post #6636 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney View Post

Had No Problem Playing 27 Dresses with the 1400


No way. Couldn't do it. The wife rented it 2 days ago and I got through about 10 minutes and had to go downstairs and do my own thing. I can handle a "date movie" here and there, but I can't watch those "fleu-fleu 12-goin-on-16 let's-hold-hands type movies". If that's what it took to get a piece, then I'd always be two halfs short of a moon pie . Hopefully you get lucky though, and hopefully your wife doesn't ever read this .
Glad you enjoyed the movie though. I actually like Elton John's music a lot. Though I'll probably go more the route of a concert dvd. Is there one on BR or HD yet?
Anyway, you have to remember, he doesn't know waht it's like to "daydream" about women , so he was just kind-of winging it there maybe... maybe some experimental drugs too.
post #6637 of 12884
Set the 1400 to PCM (internally decode codecs) and choose 5.1 TrueHD track from each of the below boomoo .
  • Enchanted - (woah, the Disney's fireworks intro just scared the beegeezes out me! ) All 6 channels lit up. Onkyo 805 says "Multich". PASSED!
  • Spidey 3- All 6 channels lit up. Onkyo 805 says "Multich". PASSED!
  • TMNT - All 6 channels lit up. cowabunga, dude! Onkyo 805 says "Multich". PASSED!
  • In the Valley of Elah - Brand new, just broke the seal. All 6 channels lit up. Onkyo 805 says "Multich". PASSED!
  • Resident Evil: Extinction - All 6 channels lit up. Onkyo 805 says "Multich". PASSED!
Just for tickling my fancy , set the 1400 back to "Bitstream" and the Onkyo 805 displays "Dolby TrueHD" for RE: E.

Conclusion: FW 1.7 did not messed up the 1400 ability to decode 5.1 TrueHD for HDMI 1.1 MPCM streams output. However, the 5.1 analog audio connection and output issues are still being explored and "entertained". I'll leave that to the CDMan to report. Maybe your particular DAC is bad? aawno? Barney's out!
post #6638 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Glad you enjoyed the movie though. I actually like Elton John's music a lot. Though I'll probably go more the route of a concert dvd. Is there one on BR or HD yet?
Anyway, you have to remember, he doesn't know waht it's like to "daydream" about women , so he was just kind-of winging it there maybe... maybe some experimental drugs too.

Hey Smarty-pants,

Your Elton John Fix awaits you:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=626

Larry
post #6639 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_DaPurple1 View Post

Concurring with Larry earlier, if you pause and start the playback again during the movie, a noticable "pop" (not the DTS bomb) is heard consistently each and everytime.

Playback from 47:00 to 49:00 does not produce audio or video skips/stutter. Problem can not be repeated.

Hi Barney,

Thank you! The "Pop" is on The Orphanage, too.

Larry
post #6640 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_DaPurple1 View Post

BTW, never knew what the lyrics mean?

Ooh, in the wind the waterfall
Oh, baby, she's a "revocaine"
She's got electric boobs
And mohair shoes ???
Bennie and the Jets!


Elton was on some serious stuff when he wrote this song!

Waaay too deep for Barney.

This was written by Bernie Taupin. Elton doesn't write lyrics. Just the music. And it is:

Oh, but they're weird and they're wonderful
Oh Bennie, she's really keen.
She's got electric boots, a mohair suit,
You know I read it in a magazine.

You must not be old enough to been around when it was first popular. I believe it had to do more with making fun of the music at the time.
post #6641 of 12884
JonB., love your songs. Especially the old but good remix of the one you did with 2Pac, R U Still Down .

Barney's ancient as triassic , but not as old as the ever young Elton John . Thanks for the lyrics. It is still waaay too deep for Barney.
post #6642 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Hi Barney,

Thank you! The "Pop" is on The Orphanage, too.

Larry

Larry, buddy, I will try to pick this one up at the local Block Buster tonite. I trust your recommendation as we both have similar taste in fine film, and components, and LFE sub preference . Will report later.
post #6643 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

No way. Couldn't do it. The wife rented it 2 days ago and I got through about 10 minutes and had to go downstairs and do my own thing. I can handle a "date movie" here and there, but I can't watch those "fleu-fleu 12-goin-on-16 let's-hold-hands type movies". If that's what it took to get a piece, then I'd always be two halfs short of a moon pie . Hopefully you get lucky though, and hopefully your wife doesn't ever read this .
Glad you enjoyed the movie though. I actually like Elton John's music a lot. Though I'll probably go more the route of a concert dvd. Is there one on BR or HD yet?
Anyway, you have to remember, he doesn't know waht it's like to "daydream" about women , so he was just kind-of winging it there maybe... maybe some experimental drugs too.

i'll get through it because it's a high Tier title and because i've love Kat Heigl for years and years.

or maybe i'll do the same as you. but it'll look great on my new Kuro
post #6644 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansemerick View Post

i'll get through it because it's a high Tier title and because i've love Kat Heigl for years and years.

or maybe i'll do the same as you. but it'll look great on my new Kuro

Ya I may have been able to choke it down if we were in the theater watching it in HD, but the wife isn't too slick with this tech stuff. She got it from the local rental place down the road that doesn't even have HD, so I can't even get her to rent them since they don't offer it... just SD. She also wanted to watch it in the living room on the 37" tv with no surround, just tv speakers.
post #6645 of 12884
bleh.
post #6646 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Shipping today!!! Tracking information no yet available on UPS website. I hope they actually fixed the problem either by actually repair it or replacement. I'm being a little bit skeptical because of the fast turn around time. I will be really pissed if they did just a firmware upgrade



Received my unit today gess what, "INSTALLED FIRMWARE UPGRADE"

I paid $85 for a f#$%g firmware upgrade that I know won't fix the issue. I immediately called Samsung to complaint and they say that if the problem happens again they will cover the cost %100 including shipping. Don't know what to do now, am so pissed
post #6647 of 12884
Did you check to make sure the problem is still there???
post #6648 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Did you check to make sure the problem is still there???

No yet. I'm afraid of what am going to do to the unit if the problem still persists. I don't think now is the best time for me to do any testing. I need to cool off a little bit.
post #6649 of 12884
well, maybe they fixed it and on top of that put new firmware in.

my report didn't say at all what they did to it, but it plays DVD's now.
post #6650 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansemerick View Post

well, maybe they fixed it and on top of that put new firmware in.

my report didn't say at all what they did to it, but it plays DVD's now.

I hope you are right. How long was the turn around time for you?
post #6651 of 12884
Hey guys, bought one of these on Tuesday, but now I see the 1500s are coming out. Do you guys think I should try to return this one (Best Buy) and try to swap it out for a 1500 if they have one? Thanks!
post #6652 of 12884
although I'm happy with the 1400, you'll be foolish not to get the profile 1.1 1500 instead.
post #6653 of 12884
I'd wait to read up on reviews of the 1500. It could be glitchy as all heck. Samsung is inconsistent. Also, sometimes the first batch is more prone to breakdowns.
post #6654 of 12884
The 1500 does not have 5.1 analog outputs.

On another note, I had a quick turnaround on my Samsung 1400. They had it less than 24 hours. No notes as to what they did. It was not fixed. Same problems.

Shipped it back to them. They have it now. It said "repair in progress" for several days. Now, it has said "open" for status for a couple of days.

Hopefully, they fix it this time.

Scott
post #6655 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R. Scherr View Post

The 1500 does not have 5.1 analog outputs.

On another note, I had a quick turnaround on my Samsung 1400. They had it less than 24 hours. No notes as to what they did. It was not fixed. Same problems.

Shipped it back to them. They have it now. It said "repair in progress" for several days. Now, it has said "open" for status for a couple of days.

Hopefully, they fix it this time.

Scott


What problems were you having?
post #6656 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Received my unit today gess what, "INSTALLED FIRMWARE UPGRADE"

I paid $85 for a f#$%g firmware upgrade that I know won't fix the issue. I immediately called Samsung to complaint and they say that if the problem happens again they will cover the cost %100 including shipping. Don't know what to do now, am so pissed

Hey Rveras,

Just curious, did you check to see if the Serial # is different then the one you sent in? If it's different, then you got a refurb and you might be ok.

Either way, let us know what happens when you hook it up.
post #6657 of 12884
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephmckinney View Post

Hey Rveras,

Just curious, did you check to see if the Serial # is different then the one you sent in? If it's different, then you got a refurb and you might be ok.

Either way, let us know what happens when you hook it up.


That was the first thing I checked and yes same serial number.
post #6658 of 12884
rveras, buddy, sorry to hear bout the Samsung BS. This is one of those time Barney was really hoping he was wrong bout the whole situation. It would probably be a good idea to get everything in writing. Also most States would considered 3 fixes to the same product within the manufacturer warranty period a lemon.

On a side note, bout to watch Ophanage, but waiting for the little ones to go nite-nite first. Definitely not a kiddo movie base on the cover. Also reading the back cover, there is only one audio track, Spanish 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. The only language Barney understand is American . This is almost like the time someone recommended Pan's Labyrinth. Didn't know I have to read American to understand the whole movie. Imma going have a talk with Mr. Larry about this missing info?
post #6659 of 12884
I watched two movie back-to-back and here is what I have to report.

Gattaca: 3 drop-outs but the movie played all the way to end.
Juno: Movie played right trough with no problems (wonderfully movie BTW).

I'm still not convinced is fixed but need to do more testing. All I want from this POS is that it last until the new Sony's or Panasonic's units come out so I can trow it into the dumpster. That is all I'm asking, please let it be.

Barney I'm definitely holding to the paper work. $85 for a f#$ing firmware upgrade Unbelievable, I'm not sure if I'll ever recover from that one. I'm planing on changing my TV this summer and Samsung was second on my list. No anymore, I rather buy a Polaroid one.
post #6660 of 12884
Had no audio or video problem playing The Orphanage with 1400. This movie gave me the creeps. Had goosebumps everytime I think about certain scenes. Good rec, Larry. Enjoyed it. Even though just like Pan's Lab, the director had a morbid theme to his movie. Y'all gots to check this flick, El Orfanato , out!

oh btw, the "pop" happens everytime I pause and play the movie again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Samsung BDP1400 Disussion Thread