Currently on my SR4001, I have the following devices connected "directly":
1) One HDMI DVD player (Pioneer) on "DVD"
2) PS3 (HDMI) on "DSS"
3) One zone free PAL/NTSC DVD player (Component) on AUX1
4) One DVD burner (Component) on "VCR"
5) One Tivo (S-VHS) on "TV"
6) One VCR (RCA) on "AUX2" (used it once in the last 12 months
1) USB keys or external HDD (via PS3 or DVD recorder)
2) MP3 and other Media via PS3/Network or Tivo/Network
3) Atari 2600 game emulator (via either VCR fronts or DVD-R front)
4) Laptop computer, with direct video to Plasma and sound via DVD burner front input)
I have never spent the time figuring out if I could actually use the front of the receiver on top of all that.
The receiver then connects via HDMI and component out to the plasma.
Out of curiosity, what do you need to hook up that you need more assignable inputs?
I agree that there should be as many assignables as there are physical inputs. I can see why the manufacturer would decide against a bigger board in the back, but internal connections... that I have a bigger problem with.