or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The NAD T775/T785 AVRs w/ HDMI 1.3 Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NAD T775/T785 AVRs w/ HDMI 1.3 Thread! - Page 24

post #691 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

no lcd display or anything? When you say menus, I would assume a display interface? thanks

Well, I think it has an LCD at the top to well you what product it's controlling. I'm doing this from memory though. Fortunately, I've got 3 T785s on the way now and should have more T175s in a week or two, so I can play with the remote. At the other house, they already had the MX500, and it was a quick thing to drop the NAD codes over the NHT ones.
post #692 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 8 View Post

Sorry about the Rotel faux pas, I did look at the NAD site and found only one remote w/o a LCD screen which I understood the remote for the 785 had. Still interested in what difference that second transformer makes to the sound.

Well, it's hard to say exactly. Maybe nothing terribly audible. But it does insure that the front channels don't lose power because of anything happening in the rears. There is a bigger real power difference between the T785 and T775 than what is on paper, however, most people will do just fine with the T775. The T785 is for big rooms and/or inefficient and/or low impedance speakers.
post #693 of 4288
I finally had some time to spend listening to the 785 on Saturday afternoon. I absolutely love the sound that it makes. Its so natural and detailed and has really transformed my speakers (NHT M5's) into something special. With my previous receiver, they sounded too separate and distinct. Now they create one wall of sound. I now understand NAD's pledge to music first having heard it first hand. MP3's sound like CDs, CD's like SACD's and SACD's are off the charts.

I tried doing the Audyssey configuration which turned out to be a bit more challenging than I anticipated. After getting severly frustrated I reviewed the tips in the Audyssey thread, which was helpful. It didn't help too much however. After placing on a tripod, I still had "check type" for my mains and never had the same measured result twice. I turned off the lights, heater, TV (loud fan) and every other possible source of noise, but it still didn't make a difference. After going through 3 listening positions (couldn't do more because it said there was too much ambient noise) it did its calculations. The measurement of distance was very accurate, but the with the NAD curve applied, only one speaker actually had sound. I need to revisit when I have more time and a silent house to give it another go. It definitely is a frustrating process.

I'll try and take a picture of the remote when I get back home this week. I'll probably end up keeping my Universal MX500 as my wife and friends are well trained on it.

Overall I love the receiver and have no regrets because the quality of sound far outweighs the few challenges I’ve had.
post #694 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_N View Post

I tried doing the Audyssey configuration which turned out to be a bit more challenging than I anticipated. After getting severly frustrated I reviewed the tips in the Audyssey thread, which was helpful. It didn't help too much however. After placing on a tripod, I still had "check type" for my mains and never had the same measured result twice. I turned off the lights, heater, TV (loud fan) and every other possible source of noise, but it still didn't make a difference. After going through 3 listening positions (couldn't do more because it said there was too much ambient noise) it did its calculations. The measurement of distance was very accurate, but the with the NAD curve applied, only one speaker actually had sound. I need to revisit when I have more time and a silent house to give it another go. It definitely is a frustrating process.

The Audyssey is definitely very picky. I too kept getting the Check Type from my right surround when I set up my 775. It did the calculations and set my tiny surround speakers as full range, plus the distance measurements were way off. After I moved the microphone a couple of inches and redid it, Audyssey got it right. My main problem with Audyssey is it keeps telling me the main left speaker is out of phase. This is the first speaker it checks and it gives the message before it checks the second speaker. How could a single speaker be out of phase with itself? I just ignore it.
post #695 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_N View Post

I finally had some time to spend listening to the 785 on Saturday afternoon. I absolutely love the sound that it makes. Its so natural and detailed and has really transformed my speakers (NHT M5's) into something special. With my previous receiver, they sounded too separate and distinct. Now they create one wall of sound. I now understand NAD's pledge to music first having heard it first hand. MP3's sound like CDs, CD's like SACD's and SACD's are off the charts.

I tried doing the Audyssey configuration which turned out to be a bit more challenging than I anticipated. After getting severly frustrated I reviewed the tips in the Audyssey thread, which was helpful. It didn't help too much however. After placing on a tripod, I still had "check type" for my mains and never had the same measured result twice. I turned off the lights, heater, TV (loud fan) and every other possible source of noise, but it still didn't make a difference. After going through 3 listening positions (couldn't do more because it said there was too much ambient noise) it did its calculations. The measurement of distance was very accurate, but the with the NAD curve applied, only one speaker actually had sound. I need to revisit when I have more time and a silent house to give it another go. It definitely is a frustrating process.

I'll try and take a picture of the remote when I get back home this week. I'll probably end up keeping my Universal MX500 as my wife and friends are well trained on it.

Overall I love the receiver and have no regrets because the quality of sound far outweighs the few challenges I’ve had.

Well I finally tried the Audyssey configuration as well tonight and had the same problem. The first listening position I tried to set gave me what I assume are errors. It stated the either the speakers were "out of phase" or "check type." I was able to then move to the second - fifth listening positions which seemed to be ok but after it ran the calculations only one speaker had sound coming out of it (my left front). Of course this made me very nervous that I may have just killed my speakers or the 785, so I decided to do a reset of the unit. After the reset I was back to the wonderful NAD sound I had before the Audyssey configuration. I have no idea why it would say my speakers are out of phase or check type. I was wondering if it has to do with the fact that I have Monitor Audio speakers and connecting them via Bi Wire? Does anyone know what can be done about this. For now I am going with my manual settings, but I wouldnt mind trying the Audyssey setup again.
post #696 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTaxMan View Post

The Audyssey is definitely very picky. I too kept getting the Check Type from my right surround when I set up my 775. It did the calculations and set my tiny surround speakers as full range, plus the distance measurements were way off. After I moved the microphone a couple of inches and redid it, Audyssey got it right. My main problem with Audyssey is it keeps telling me the main left speaker is out of phase. This is the first speaker it checks and it gives the message before it checks the second speaker. How could a single speaker be out of phase with itself? I just ignore it.

Agreed. The Audyssey process requires heroic patience. I restarted the process every time the "Check Type" error occurred, but persisted for "Check Phase". The final calibration sounded great, much better than uncalibrated. In a silent house it took about a dozen tries ....

Cheers!
post #697 of 4288
hello
post #698 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakar80124 View Post

Sounds like most of the newer BD players don't support SACD whereas the PS3 does over HDMI. Some like the Panic BD30 don't decode the HD audio formats either but just pass on over HDMI. For just good bd playback the Sony BDP-S300 is about the best deal right now at $299. The BDP-S500 has onboard HD audio decoding but not sure how that would work with the NAD?

The new PS3's (here in scandanavia/europe they are 40 gb versions)...the ones that are quieter, use less power and aren't backwards compatable with PS2 games also don't support SACD. Just something to be aware of for those about to purchase a PS3.

After doing a lot of searching and confirming this, I rushed out and bought one of the old 60 gb versions which are pretty much out of stock now and won't be back. I'm glad I did!


sstiles4,

Your pictures look great but I was wondering about ventilation. It looks like a pretty tight fit in your cabinet. Aren't you worried about it over heating?

I just found out that the 785 won't be here till February.
post #699 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob801 View Post

The new PS3's (here in scandanavia/europe they are 40 gb versions)...the ones that are quieter, use less power and aren't backwards compatable with PS2 games also don't support SACD. Just something to be aware of for those about to purchase a PS3.

After doing a lot of searching and confirming this, I rushed out and bought one of the old 60 gb versions which are pretty much out of stock now and won't be back. I'm glad I did!


sstiles4,

Your pictures look great but I was wondering about ventilation. It looks like a pretty tight fit in your cabinet. Aren't you worried about it over heating?

I just found out that the 785 won't be here till February.

I realized after I took the picture how close DVD player was to the 785. Since then I moved the shelf up approx. 4". The entertainment unit has ventilation holes below, behind and above the 785. Its funny how many people noticed that I had the dvd player so close to the AVR. Thank you.

Also in case anyone was wondering the unit does not run hot at all. It is amazing how little heat it gives off compared to my older Harman Kardon.

I also have added a picture of the 2 remotes that come with the T785 since people seem to be wondering what they look like.
post #700 of 4288
HTRC-1 and ZR4

Attachment 97380

Attachment 97381
LL
LL
post #701 of 4288
My wife gave me a T785 for Christmas. I haven't had a chance to fool with it, but I'm curious if anyone is aware if the Harmony database recognizes the T785 as it's such a new receiver?

Thanks, in advance.
post #702 of 4288
I finally was able to set up the Audyssey on the 785. Here is what I did to get it to work. I did not have a tripod so I used a cardboard box that was approximately the same height as me sitting on the couch. I then put the Audyssey mic on the box (directly in front of my couch), waited about 20 seconds in silence and then started running the program. I think the key step is when you first plug in your mic, make sure there is no surrounding noise, then place the mic on a box (or tripod) wait another 20-30 seconds in silence, then run the program. I also read if you put the mic on your couch that the back of the couch may negatively affect the calibration process. You will know it is working when all of your speaker settings say "yes".

After setting one, I then repeated the same steps for seating positions 2-6. I think you have up to 8 seating positions, but I only needed to set 6. Once the seating areas are set the Audyssey runs its calculations and the multi EQ curve defaults to "NAD". I thought the sound was great out of the box, but now I think it is amazing. I was really nervous after my last try at setting up the Audyssey, but I am glad I tried it again.

I hope this helps those of you that are having the same problems that I ran into ("out of phase" or "check type" errors). Good luck.

Scott
post #703 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstiles4 View Post

HTRC-1 and ZR4

Attachment 97380

Attachment 97381

thanks for the remote pics! So the LCD only indicates the currrent function? No menus or soft keys in it? Does it use the programmed name, for example if one changes input1 to hd-dvd?
post #704 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

Right on, in fact what he was calling "biamping" is commonly referred to as biwiring, i have done it on my front stage, benefit is there but many will argue it makes no difference at low amp loads.


no. what he calls bi-amping is called passive bi-amping. the other way is active bi-amping where you put the xover between the pre-emp and the power amp(s).

bi-wiring is when you have a single amp but you run to separate cables to each of the terminal in you bi-ampable speakers. both pairs of cables to the same speaker terminate at the same binding post on the amp side.

whether or not any of these three have an audible impact is an endless discussion that goes nowhere.
post #705 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephron View Post

I use a Harmony 1000 universal remote. I have the Extender with it. It can communicate by ZigBee wireless, so I can control my setup from anywhere in the house. Nice big colour screen. Controls all of the components. You can control the second zone on the T775 using it as well. You set it up by activity ("Watch a Movie", "Play XBox 360", etc). Easy enough for my kids to use. I would pick my receiver on its own merits, and buy a Harmony universal remote as it is likely to be better than anything that NAD or any other receiver manufacturer makes.

Cheers!

I couldn't agree with you more on this point! Controlling lights and equipment locked away from prying eyes/fingers via RF is big.

My only issue is that the T785 doesn't appear to be available in the Harmony database. I may have to use the T775 settings as they appear to be in the database.

Any idea on how to get NAD to provide the data to Logitech for the Harmony database?
post #706 of 4288
Quote:


I did not have a tripod so I used a cardboard box that was approximately the same height as me sitting on the couch.

Glad it worked for you but you don't really want anything reflective near the mic. Even leather furniture can be a problem. For best results, either move the furniture out of the way or cover it with thickly folded towels or blankets.
post #707 of 4288
Thanks to all who responded about the volume range. Hooked up to the paradigms the sound is excellent.

But.... Somehow my 785 has now stopped seeing any of my hdmi devices. Component (via cable box) can still be viewed over the hdmi line and I can see the set up screen, but the cable box, ps3, dvd player, etc using any of the hdmi ins 1-4 will not give audio or video. "hdmi" just flashes on the screen. (hooked directly to the tv, there is no prob with any of the sources) I've tried different cables, sources, and tvs with no luck.

I did a reset with the left source and front panel button and I then unplugged it for a half hour. Not sure what else to do. It's firmware 1.10 and the sources are setup for hdmi (especially source 1 which defaults that way)

If anybody has any ideas, I would be very appreciative. (I emailed NAD, but haven't heard back yet)
post #708 of 4288
Newbie here since I bought my T751 a few years ago I haven't paid too much attention to A/V receivers ... however I have a new house to outfit so I've just read this excellent thread from start to finish as kind of a crash catch-up course! Which leaves me with a couple of comments/questions:

1. Does the 775 support HDMI 1.3a (vs 1.3?) I've seen people on this thread assert it does but I can't find any reference on NAD's web site.

2. I too value NAD's simplicity / good sound proposition. However like an earlier poster I have the impression NAD has struggled to keep up in the digital domain. Which makes me ask why on earth they put an RS-232 port (vs. USB or EN) on the 775? That hardly makes the firmware user upgradeable - you won't find too many RS-232 ports on PCs these days!!

3. Granted I've not been paying attention recently ... but don't the list prices on these receivers strike people as inflated? In the digital domain we're all used to getting more while paying less ... so why so expensive? Especially given NAD's design point of more-or-less being a pass-through device. How does NAD compare to similar quality level competitors? NAD used to be price competitively with Denon - now I get the impression Denon is actually better value.

4. My old 751 died after about 11 months echoing the quality concerns voiced elsewhere. However warranty repair was friendly and reasonably quick which made me think positive things about NAD the company.

All in all it sounds like waiting six months for NAD to work out the version 1.0 kinks isn't such a bad idea ....
post #709 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ings View Post

1. Does the 775 support HDMI 1.3a (vs 1.3?) I've seen people on this thread assert it does but I can't find any reference on NAD's web site.

Yes, though I couldn't even tell you what that means exactly.
Quote:



2. I too value NAD's simplicity / good sound proposition. However like an earlier poster I have the impression NAD has struggled to keep up in the digital domain. Which makes me ask why on earth they put an RS-232 port (vs. USB or EN) on the 775? That hardly makes the firmware user upgradeable - you won't find too many RS-232 ports on PCs these days!!

I agree, though you can easily get a USB to RS-232 adaptor. Many high-end control systems still use RS-232, that's why the NAD uses it.
Quote:



3. Granted I've not been paying attention recently ... but don't the list prices on these receivers strike people as inflated? In the digital domain we're all used to getting more while paying less ... so why so expensive? Especially given NAD's design point of more-or-less being a pass-through device. How does NAD compare to similar quality level competitors? NAD used to be price competitively with Denon - now I get the impression Denon is actually better value.

Denon has always had more features for the money, just a lot less real power and simplicity. The price increase has mainly to do with the modular platform, but that is also a big part of what makes the new units more desirable. And with the proprietary Audyssey curves, I think that it could be claimed without too much fear that the NAD is now the best sounding AV receiver on the market.
Quote:



4. My old 751 died after about 11 months echoing the quality concerns voiced elsewhere. However warranty repair was friendly and reasonably quick which made me think positive things about NAD the company.

Well, it's really how you handle this stuff. NAD has been above and beyond with us. I can't say that an internet dealer or gray box mover would get the same treatment we do though, which could be why some people grumble about it.
post #710 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstiles4 View Post

HTRC-1 and ZR4

Attachment 97380

Attachment 97381

That remote looks like the Nad HTRM from their Master Series (M15)

Ken
post #711 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

Denon has always had more features for the money, just a lot less real power and simplicity. The price increase has mainly to do with the modular platform, but that is also a big part of what makes the new units more desirable.

What is it about the modular platform you find attractive? What's a real world scenario where this might actually be useful? So far, the service incidents described in this thread have required trudging off to the dealer - which wouldn't seem to reflect well on the flexibility offered by this platform.

Call me a skeptic but I wonder if this platform amount to much. The personal computer is probably the most upgradeable device most consumers will buy, and yet somehow every 3-5 years the average consumer junks what they have and "upgrades" by buying a new box.

IMHO at the end of the day, if the modular platform doesn't provide a clear benefit to the consumer, all NAD will have done is give themselves a price disadvantage in the marketplace.
post #712 of 4288
I tend to agree with ings. While I am hopeful that this design will prove beneficial to the consumer, by and large upgradability has been a huge disappointment or a scam in some instances. Anthem has done a good job in the past but B&K has been slow to non-existent in updates the last few years. Theta has provided updates at exorbinant prices (IMO). I see no reason based on past history to believe that NAD will do more than one or two minor updates, if that. I suspect that if the price increase is attributable to the modular design, we are all buying a feature that does not benefit us. The service aspect also seems questionable to me since you will have to bring in your receiver no matter what is wrong. It will then depend on if your dealer can swap out the module for you and how long it will take to get it from NAD. However, these are still great products for the money based on features, performance and price so this may ultimately be a tempest in a teapot.
post #713 of 4288
Bought a 785 to simplify wiring with HDMI components but have a Pioneer Elite 720 rear projection TV with no HDMI. Have connected Apple TV, PS3 and TiVo HD recorder to 785 with HDMI. Only AppleTV would work and it quit after a while. Tried different cables and only Apple TV would work with HDMI. Everything works with component. I called NAD and an engineer told me that I must have an HDMI output to TV for this to work because industry does not allow downconverting to Component. It this true or is the NAD quirky? I am trying to decide whether there is a problem with this unit and do I need to return it. Any help would be appreciated.
post #714 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmooney View Post

Bought a 785 to simplify wiring with HDMI components but have a Pioneer Elite 720 rear projection TV with no HDMI. Have connected Apple TV, PS3 and TiVo HD recorder to 785 with HDMI. Only AppleTV would work and it quit after a while. Tried different cables and only Apple TV would work with HDMI. Everything works with component. I called NAD and an engineer told me that I must have an HDMI output to TV for this to work because industry does not allow downconverting to Component. It this true or is the NAD quirky? I am trying to decide whether there is a problem with this unit and do I need to return it. Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry to say but this is indeed true. HDMI copy protection prohibits the downconversion or transcoding of video for component video output.
post #715 of 4288
Quote:


HDMI copy protection prohibits the downconversion or transcoding of video for component video output.

Somebody had better inform Sherwood Newcastle about this then
post #716 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by nek View Post

That remote looks like the Nad HTRM from their Master Series (M15)

Ken

Yes, thanks. Almost identical other than the labels on the input buttons. The M15 manual has a section on programming the remote.

http://http://207.228.230.231/manual/NAD-M15_EN.pdf
post #717 of 4288
I know this has been asked before :-) but what made people pick 785 over 775 or vice versa? Large room? Play louder? My dealer says the 785 will run my B&W 703s better, but not sure if this is only in certain setups (perhaps. like I said if it's a larger room). Not sure how to quantify "better". Not sure if the remote is that better and people tend to use a universal anyways.

It would be $400 diff for me.

thanks
post #718 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

I know this has been asked before :-) but what made people pick 785 over 775 or vice versa?

Budget, mostly. I've already experienced quite a creep from the Denon 3808 I was considering. I'm not sure my smallish NYC apartment can justify such a powerful amp, or my neighbors would appreciate me testing its limits. Though I did appreciate WestcoastD's suggestion that a T785 would go nicely with the totems I want. But yeah, owning a universal remote also tips me towards the 775.

So anyway, I had a dalliance for a while with getting a Marantz instead, and spoke to many hifi salesmen in London who were permanently soured on NAD after the hassle of dealing with the last lot of receivers. But I sort of keep gravitating back to the NAD, for reasons I'm not sure I can explain. I'm hoping to stop by a dealer in PA who sells both NAD and Totem on the way to DC. If not there's always that nice dealer in Chicago who quotes good prices.
post #719 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rkus View Post

Sorry to say but this is indeed true. HDMI copy protection prohibits the downconversion or transcoding of video for component video output.

I may be wrong, but I think the correct statement is "HDMI copy protection *can*, at the studio's discretion, prevent..........."

At least, that's how I understood it. Plus, I don't see a big advantage in putting that kind of circuitry in every unit. The money for better amps has to come from somewhere and most people simply don't need HDMI converted to component, especially if all it does is avoid using a few cables you likely still have.

One wonders what's going to happen to all of the composite, S-video, component, analog audio and digital audio cables that are piling up. Most places I go to have at least one full box already and that's before we tear out all the cables that they were using.
post #720 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

I know this has been asked before :-) but what made people pick 785 over 775 or vice versa? Large room? Play louder? My dealer says the 785 will run my B&W 703s better, but not sure if this is only in certain setups (perhaps. like I said if it's a larger room). Not sure how to quantify "better". Not sure if the remote is that better and people tend to use a universal anyways.s

703s are extremely easy to drive. They can have a little bit of harsh sound because of the kevlar driver and that can make it seem like they are hard to drive, but they're not at all. This is a touchy subject, so I tread lightly. The T765 I have pretty easily drives my much more difficult NHTs. If I switch to the T785 vs the T775 (once all the customers have theirs), it's "just because".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The NAD T775/T785 AVRs w/ HDMI 1.3 Thread!