I have a weirder question that I have tried to talk to the normal Charter CSRs but it is a question that none of them so far has been able to help me with.
I currently have 2 cable card devices and there are a handful of channels that on occasion (about 10% of the time) will only output in Spanish. I have double checked to make sure that my tv isn't set for SAP. (which neither of them are)
When the channel is having that issue I will go to my DVR and there is a setting on my DVR to choose the audio settings and it gives me two options: English and English. But regardless on which one I choose it gives me Spanish. I have checked with other channels and shows that have SAP available and I can switch it back and forth without issues
This seems to happen sporadically but it seems to happen every afternoon on FX HD when two and a half men are on. It also seems to happen on Max HD occasionally.
Talking to my DVR provider it seems that I get this issue when the non-English audio stream gets sent first to the DVR from Charter. They said in order to fix this Charter needs "must send an English audio stream with an English label in their PID so it is detected properly."
I have talked to another person on the Moxi HD DVR
forum and they have had this issue with both of their cable card devices. (Each device is different)