or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Charter HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Charter HDTV - Page 4

post #91 of 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by forumreader View Post

so Popweaver - you really don't have USA HD or SciFi HD yet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post

We really don't.

Yep, what Adam Tyner said. I'd be a very happy camper if we got both of them via Charter.
post #92 of 3557
So QVC-HD is turned on today -- and it's 480i????? What the *****? What's the purpose of that? And we don't have USA or Sci-Fi in HD either. What a joke!
post #93 of 3557
QVC pays for distribution. It costs Charter nothing to carry QVC unlike Sci Fi and USA.
post #94 of 3557
Hello everyone! My name is George and I'm a member of the Charter Communications Umatter2Charter Social Media team. Even though we haven't been responding we have been tracking AVS Forum for some time. We want to maintain consistency on this site, so we are offering a single point of contact.

WE ARE NOT GOING TO LEAVE YOU HANGING. We’re here to listen, we’re ready to help when needed, and we’re here to support the Charter Bundle! (Charter’s video, Internet and Phone services). I will be on here nearly every day, and if I can't fix it myself I will get you whatever help you need. Feel free to contact me through a PM or email me at Umatter2Charter_AVS@chartercom.com if you are experiencing service issues or have questions.

It's nice to meet everyone!
post #95 of 3557
Glad you're here! how about some more HD programming for Reno, NV ?
post #96 of 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

Hello everyone! My name is George and I'm a member of the Charter Communications Umatter2Charter Social Media team. Even though we haven't been responding we have been tracking AVS Forum for some time. We want to maintain consistency on this site, so we are offering a single point of contact.

WE ARE NOT GOING TO LEAVE YOU HANGING. We're here to listen, we're ready to help when needed, and we're here to support the Charter Bundle! (Charter's video, Internet and Phone services). I will be on here nearly every day, and if I can't fix it myself I will get you whatever help you need. Feel free to contact me through a PM or email me at UmatterCharter_AVS@chartercom.com if you are experiencing service issues or have questions.

It's nice to meet everyone!

Email address does not work.
post #97 of 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Email address does not work.

Umatter2Charter_AVS@chartercom.com
post #98 of 3557
Jweek,

I'll check our future HD launch dates first thing in the morning.
post #99 of 3557
Being a Cablevision customer who had a contact on Yahoo Group, I can tell you having a direct contact for you comm wows is invaluable!

I had an issue with switch video for weeks after they rolled it out.
My contact fixed it in two days.

Welcome to AVS Charter dude!
post #100 of 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

Umatter2Charter_AVS@chartercom.com

Sent a PM, instead.
post #101 of 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweek View Post

Glad you're here! how about some more HD programming for Reno, NV ?

You have a PM!
post #102 of 3557
So since Comcast has signed up the NFL Network and NBA TV to new deals at reduced prices is Charter working on any deals with these two channels ?
post #103 of 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

Jweek,

I'll check our future HD launch dates first thing in the morning.

George, what have ye for the Southeast- namely Greenville, SC market in the pipe?
post #104 of 3557
Topics merged.
post #105 of 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

Hello everyone! My name is George and I'm a member of the Charter Communications Umatter2Charter Social Media team. Even though we haven't been responding we have been tracking AVS Forum for some time. We want to maintain consistency on this site, so we are offering a single point of contact.

WE ARE NOT GOING TO LEAVE YOU HANGING. We're here to listen, we're ready to help when needed, and we're here to support the Charter Bundle! (Charter's video, Internet and Phone services). I will be on here nearly every day, and if I can't fix it myself I will get you whatever help you need. Feel free to contact me through a PM or email me at Umatter2Charter_AVS@chartercom.com if you are experiencing service issues or have questions.

It's nice to meet everyone!

Welcome to AVS.

I've merged your new topic into the main Charter topic. We look forward to your participation.
post #106 of 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by forumreader View Post

So since Comcast has signed up the NFL Network and NBA TV to new deals at reduced prices is Charter working on any deals with these two channels ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator View Post

George, what have ye for the Southeast- namely Greenville, SC market in the pipe?

Working on both of your requests now...


George
post #107 of 3557
LilGator,

You have a PM.
post #108 of 3557
Woohoo! Umatter2Charter has taken over another domain (besides Twitter)! Welcome to AVSForum.com!
post #109 of 3557
Umatter2Charter

IMHO, if Charter has the desire to rise above their competitors, it should stop cramming 3 or more HD channels onto 1 carrier. This markedly reduces the picture quality. Regardless of what snake oil the equipment manufacturers are passing around, compressing more than 2 HD channels onto one 6Mhz carrier is NOT transparent to the viewer.

Adding more HD channels without addressing the lack of carriers available on the system only makes things worse. Charter analog systems need to resolve the current problem by either dropping analog channels or expanding their system to provide the capacity for 1 carrier per 2 HD channels. And then only add HD channels if and when additional carriers are available.

Granted, many viewers, with inferior displays and/or a lack of knowledge don't realize their HD PQ as been compromised. Here at AVSForum, this is NOT the case, most of us can see it.

BTW, I am a subscriber on the Hammond, LA. system.
post #110 of 3557
Anything coming soon for the Dexter/Whitmore Lake area (48130)?
post #111 of 3557
How about new HD for the Tri-Cities area of Tennessee? Kingsport, etc...
post #112 of 3557
Sorry for the lack of activity today everyone. We've been busy addressing DTV questions all day.

forumreader - The marketing director that can addrsss your questions is out of the office until Monday. I should have some up to date info then.

raouliii - The Hammond engineering supervisor is currently in the field and will be addressing your questions shortly.

redwings1914 and tommyp007 you have pm's
post #113 of 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

Umatter2Charter

IMHO, if Charter has the desire to rise above their competitors, it should stop cramming 3 or more HD channels onto 1 carrier. This markedly reduces the picture quality. Regardless of what snake oil the equipment manufacturers are passing around, compressing more than 2 HD channels onto one 6Mhz carrier is NOT transparent to the viewer.

Adding more HD channels without addressing the lack of carriers available on the system only makes things worse. Charter analog systems need to resolve the current problem by either dropping analog channels or expanding their system to provide the capacity for 1 carrier per 2 HD channels. And then only add HD channels if and when additional carriers are available.

Granted, many viewers, with inferior displays and/or a lack of knowledge don't realize their HD PQ as been compromised. Here at AVSForum, this is NOT the case, most of us can see it.

BTW, I am a subscriber on the Hammond, LA. system.

Per our Hammond Engineering supervisor we currently only have 2 HD channels per 6Mhz carrier. If you are seeing degraded picture quality please pm me your account information and we'll check it out.


George
post #114 of 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

Per our Hammond Engineering supervisor we currently only have 2 HD channels per 6Mhz carrier. If you are seeing degraded picture quality please pm me your account information and we'll check it out.

George

Thanks for the quick response. It is refreshing to say the least.

As for the HD channel per carrier issue, you can see from this post that I have been posting/updating the Hammond HD lineup for about two years now: Charter Hammond HD Lineup. I usually only bother to update it when new channels appear so I haven't updated it lately. If you look at the listing as of 9/08/08, there were three 6Mhz carriers with 3 HD channels or more.

759Mhz carrier had 3 HD channels of HD locals
807Mhz carrier had 2 HD channels plus 1 HD tier sd channel
831Mhz carrier had 4 HD channels

Of course, I have not even attempted to check if any SD digitals have been crammed onto any of these carriers. It's a slow process to step through all the channels using the diagnostics mode of the stb.

At the time, the 7 HD channels on 759 and 831 all had very noticable reduced picture quality. I will admit, however, that I have not made a dedicated attempt at analyzing the PQ in the recent past.

By the end of next week I will have the opportunity to run through the lineup, post what I find here and update my Charter Hammond HD lineup.

Thanks again.
post #115 of 3557
Hey Umatter2Charter - any news on NFL Network or NBA TV
post #116 of 3557
No news yet. I'm still waiting to hear from our national marketing director. You'll be the first to know.


George
post #117 of 3557
Good HD additions in Gwinnett this week (WATL, USA, etc.) - Big one still missing is TBS-HD - ever since TBS went from a local Atlanta station to national, we have been missing this from our lineup - especially horrible considering they have a national baseball package on Sunday's along with MLB playoff games that we have watched for the past 2 years in SD - any word on TBS-HD?
post #118 of 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

Per our Hammond Engineering supervisor we currently only have 2 HD channels per 6Mhz carrier. If you are seeing degraded picture quality please pm me your account information and we'll check it out.
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

..........By the end of next week I will have the opportunity to run through the lineup, post what I find here and update my Charter Hammond HD lineup.

Thanks again.

George It appears that you have been given faulty information on the Hammond, LA. system. Intentional or due to lack of technical knowledge is anyone's guess. It's even worse than it was nine months ago.

The current state is that 5 (five) 6mhz carriers have 3 HD channels assigned to them. The carriers are 579, 597, 783, 807 and 831. I have not yet checked to see if any digital/nonHD channels have been crammed onto any of these carriers yet. That will be take a lot of time.

579 has three locals, ABC, CBS and PBS. A BIG problem.

597 has three channels, HD Theater, HDNet and HDNet Movies. Given that these three channels have arguably THE BEST HD programming available ANYWHERE, combining/rate shaping/muxing all three to one carrier is a TRAVESTY of biblical proportions.

783 has three pay movie channels, TMC, SHO2 and SHOwest. A problem.

807 has three channels but only one has continuous programming, FSNHD, HDPPV and TNTHD. No problem there.

831 has three channels, WEHD, AMCHD, and IFCHD. A problem but most of the programming is upconverted SD anyway, but that will change in the future.

Hope to hear from you soon.
post #119 of 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by forumreader View Post

Hey Umatter2Charter - any news on NFL Network or NBA TV

You have a PM.
post #120 of 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

You have a PM.

I'd appreciate an answer for NFL-Network on the Worcester, MA Charter system.

-t
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Charter HDTV