or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sharp Aquos D64U Calibrations and Settings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sharp Aquos D64U Calibrations and Settings - Page 3

post #61 of 863
My TV finally arrived!! Ordered 9/09 and arrived half an hour ago. I can't wait to get home from work to set it up.

DELIVERED 10/02/2007 19:00
OUT FOR DELIVERY 10/02/2007 10:33
RECOVERED AT DESTINATION 10/01/2007 16:37
RECOVERED AT DESTINATION 09/27/2007 11:13
TENDERED TO CARRIER 09/25/2007 23:19
PILOT DESTINATION ALERTED 09/24/2007 21:19
SHIPMENT DETAILS TENDERED TO PILOT 09/20/2007 22:06

I will post pictures up as soon as I arrive!!
post #62 of 863
I found yesterday that I had to adjust the brightness from -12 to 0, as well. Much too dark. Although, it seems the difference is much more noticeable on HD channels than SD channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdave View Post

I had to adjust my brightness back to "0" last night. The "-12" is just far too dark and I have Fine Motion OFF which when ON (like you use) makes the picture even darker.

A good example is X-Men 3 at 50:45 into the movie. It's a shot of Professor Xavier's wheelchair sitting in a lowly-lit room. I was watching/testing last night in a room lit by two lamps on each side of me and each with 100-watt bulbs. At "0" brightness I could make out all the details. At "-12" it was far too dark.

I wonder if the sets vary from unit to unit in the manufacturing process so that "-12" on one looks different than "-12" on another. Furthermore, we really aren't comparing apples to apples because I have a 52" screen and yours is 46". I believe smaller screens have better brightness or contrast.
post #63 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdave View Post


I wonder if the sets vary from unit to unit in the manufacturing process so that "-12" on one looks different than "-12" on another. Furthermore, we really aren't comparing apples to apples because I have a 52" screen and yours is 46". I believe smaller screens have better brightness or contrast.

Although AVIA told me "-12" was right I find myself routinely playing with the brightness. The problem with using AVIA for brightness calibration is that it relies on the DVD player that you are using. I used my XBOX 360 through VGA at 1080p. The XBOX has a black level setting which I put at "standard". I have Comcast with a DVR3416 through HDMI at 1080i and I find that it is darker than if I connect the cable directly to the TV and use the internal tuner (with the same settings for both inputs). Not to mention the advanced image processing settings that alter the brightness. I think your brightness at "0" is probably a good choice.

The one constant that I have not had to play with are the color settings. They look really good on all inputs on my TV. This is even through I didn't have a way to measure the neutral axis. I am also amazed at the apparent uniformity of color (based on feedback) that these sets have across TVs.

I am going to play with it more this weekend to try to understand the relationships between all the image processing settings and black level.
post #64 of 863
i heard from the grapevine that there is a firmware update for the tv? has anyone else also heard of it? tried it? should i attempt to upgrade it?

edit:i know this is off the thread topic, but the other thread is up to 74 pages long(!), i was wondering if anything could recommend a good bang-for-your-(my)-buck hd-dvd player? oh, and a good regular dvd player overall? in case i find myself short on money :") preferably if the dvd can play diff formats would be nice.
post #65 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstokas View Post

Tiger: so you use the same setting as the other guy exempt for the black levels?

Currently, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrylin View Post

i heard from the grapevine that there is a firmware update for the tv? has anyone else also heard of it? tried it? should i attempt to upgrade it.

Care to elaborate on this "grapevine"?
post #66 of 863
Just to be clear: I used the basic and advanced aettings from TigerD on a new 46D64U yesterday:
SA box 8300HD, watched Willy Wonka and MHD-Live concert of a large band.

I HAD TO DO IT A FEW TIMES TO BE SURE IT SAVED MY SETTINGS UNDER "USER" SETTINGS.

Found flesh tones much improved.
post #67 of 863
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrylin View Post

... and a good regular dvd player overall? in case i find myself short on money :") preferably if the dvd can play diff formats would be nice.

The upconverting 1080p Philips DVD5982/37 can be had for less than $60. It can be hacked easily to be region free.
post #68 of 863
How do you decide what backlight setting to choose? Not a factor on a CRT, but with my first LCD how do I determine it? Usually I go between black and white level to a happy medium, but where does backlight enter into the equation?

Thanks,

Henry

PS I am using Avia
post #69 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrylin View Post

i heard from the grapevine that there is a firmware update for the tv? has anyone else also heard of it? tried it? should i attempt to upgrade it?

\\

Just in case the grapevine is correct and since my D64U has not arrived yet, how is the firmware updated (where to get the firmware). Does it use a thumb drive for example?
post #70 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbehrman View Post

How do you decide what backlight setting to choose? Not a factor on a CRT, but with my first LCD how do I determine it? Usually I go between black and white level to a happy medium, but where does backlight enter into the equation?

Thanks,

Henry

PS I am using Avia


Play with it while viewing the "Black/Brightness adjustment" and the "White/Contrast" adjustment in AVIA and see what effect it has. All BackLight does is change the brigtness of the florecent light in the TV which therotically doesn't change your white/black levels from a calibration point of view.
post #71 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by petej88 View Post

Just in case the grapevine is correct and since my D64U has not arrived yet, how is the firmware updated (where to get the firmware). Does it use a thumb drive for example?

Exactly.

See the bottom connector where it says SERVICE? It's a USB port.

post #72 of 863
First off - thanks so much for the color and settings posts from TigerDave and Baloo! I changed these under Dynamic mode before I found the "AV Mode" button on the remote under the little window!) But then I thought - why not change the color settings for all modes? This way I have color-corrected hue/saturation, drastically improving skin tones, no matter what more I select. Then the other settings like Contrast, Brightness, FineMotion, Movie mode, etc. change based on the respective AV Mode.

Anyone else doing this?
post #73 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0pher View Post

First off - thanks so much for the color and settings posts from TigerDave and Baloo! I changed these under Dynamic mode before I found the "AV Mode" button on the remote under the little window!) But then I thought - why not change the color settings for all modes? This way I have color-corrected hue/saturation, drastically improving skin tones, no matter what more I select. Then the other settings like Contrast, Brightness, FineMotion, Movie mode, etc. change based on the respective AV Mode.

Anyone else doing this?

Hmmm. Not me. I like to just "set it and forget". I never change AV modes (not inputs for that matter -- only input 5 is used). But this is just a personal pref.
post #74 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdave View Post

Hmmm. Not me. I like to just "set it and forget". I never change AV modes (not inputs for that matter -- only input 5 is used). But this is just a personal pref.

Agreed - simple and elegant.

I do like having different settings I made and switch them for Sports, Action Movies, Detailed viewing (NatGeoHD, Science Channel) and Low-light viewing.

This way I can control when the features like OPC, Fine Motion, I/P Setting and Film Mode are active as well as Brightness and Contrast settings that suit the source. All with the CMS Hue and Satturation settings from Baloo so the skin tones are good.
post #75 of 863
Just got my 46d64 and hooked it up with Philips 5982 using an hdmi cable and upconverted to 1080p. The picture is nice but very grainy and its really bothering me. I know I am missing something. Fellow owners pls advise. BTW I am using Baloo75's settings.
post #76 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejkamat View Post

Just got my 46d64 and hooked it up with Philips 5982 using an hdmi cable and upconverted to 1080p. The picture is nice but very grainy and its really bothering me. I know I am missing something. Fellow owners pls advise. BTW I am using Baloo75's settings.

I'm really not trying to be a smarta$$ but speaking from personal experience. Don't expect "HD quality" from a $65 upconverting DVD player trying to make a 480i format look like HD-DVD or Blu-Ray 1080p. The information on the disk is only 480i and that's it. For example, you can have a professional artist paint your portrait or you can have me paint it and I can guarantee you won't like mine but I'll do it a lot cheaper and it will still be a portrait. If you want a better picture invest in one of the HD formats and get a player that has a good video processor to upconvert SD DVDs. They do a lot better job than the $65 players. You may even find that your TV may do just as good of a job if you send it 480i from the player.

Good luck...
post #77 of 863
I received my 46" last week and used the calibration setting from this forum and it looks great. Thanks everyone. I also turned down the brightness to 0.

I do have one issue with the tv - OTA channels disappear after rescan.

When I first got my tv I wanted to see if I get any OTA HD channels so I ran the channel search and received several HD channels except for 2.1 (CBS) and 5.1 (CW).
So I just thought my antenna was not picking them up. Couple days later I picked up a different antenna thinking maybe I can pick up those missing channels. So I hooked it up and did a channel search again - now I get those missing channels but I lost couple others. I don not see them under channel memory. I switched out the antenna to the original one and I still have the issue. I tried going to the missing channel by putting in 7.1 and it just tells me "Failed to receive broadcast". This is the channel I was able to watch until I rescanned.

It seems like once a scan is done, you're locked into those channels
post #78 of 863
I received my 52D64U on Saturday, after ordering on 9/7. The 65D64U which was supposed to go in the family room is MIA and no one seems to know what happaned to it. Sharp opened a case, so I hope to find out this week. In the meantime, I took down my Vizio GV52 from the bedroom and put side by side with the new Sharp. Connected both via QAM tuner and receive broadcast HD channnels. So here's the bad news: despite using the settings listed on this Forum (one in Dynamic Mode and the other User Mode), the Vizio picture offers a more vivid, clearer picture. Now, I tweaked, raised backlight, raised contrast, went back and forth with Sharpness and Tint. The result is, while the Sharp has stronger, bolder colors, the picture is somewhat darker and not as clear as the Vizio. Skintone is much more natural on the Vizio. And this is after hours of tweaking the Sharp. The skintones on the Sharp have too much color or something. Has anybody else done a side-by-side? It kills me that my new Sharp isn't as clear, HD clear, as the Vizio. The shows I watched were The Today Show (NBC-HD), The View (ABC-HD), and PBS-HD (something regarding the moon). It just seems like there is a vail of color on the images that keeps it from looking as clear as the Vizio. I tried shutting down DNR (off), Image (off), Fast Motion (off)?

Any suggestions? Could it be that the D64U series is just a placeholder and Sharp's strong televisions are the D93U? Can the Vizio really be that good?
post #79 of 863
Don't know what model Visio you have...but my father (who was a professional photographer in his day) has a Visio LCD and cried when he saw my D52...cause it kicked the Visio's booty...and me...I just looked at him and grinned!
post #80 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtv View Post

I received my 52D64U on Saturday, after ordering on 9/7. The 65D64U which was supposed to go in the family room is MIA and no one seems to know what happaned to it. Sharp opened a case, so I hope to find out this week. In the meantime, I took down my Vizio GV52 from the bedroom and put side by side with the new Sharp. Connected both via QAM tuner and receive broadcast HD channnels. So here's the bad news: despite using the settings listed on this Forum (one in Dynamic Mode and the other User Mode), the Vizio picture offers a more vivid, clearer picture. Now, I tweaked, raised backlight, raised contrast, went back and forth with Sharpness and Tint. The result is, while the Sharp has stronger, bolder colors, the picture is somewhat darker and not as clear as the Vizio. Skintone is much more natural on the Vizio. And this is after hours of tweaking the Sharp. The skintones on the Sharp have too much color or something. Has anybody else done a side-by-side? It kills me that my new Sharp isn't as clear, HD clear, as the Vizio. The shows I watched were The Today Show (NBC-HD), The View (ABC-HD), and PBS-HD (something regarding the moon). It just seems like there is a vail of color on the images that keeps it from looking as clear as the Vizio. I tried shutting down DNR (off), Image (off), Fast Motion (off)?

Any suggestions? Could it be that the D64U series is just a placeholder and Sharp's strong televisions are the D93U? Can the Vizio really be that good?

I had the same issues when I got my 42. It was replacing a 2 month old 42" Vizio VU model that I got from Costco. I was going to return my Sharp. I did reset all the settings to factory default and then set them first to Tiger Dave's original settings; and then to Baloo75's. I am now quite content and really like the pq. Someone had mentioned that they got better pq after they did a total reset also, so you might want to try it. The newer Vizio's do have a very nice picture; but I couldn't stand the black crush I was getting. The Sharp does have outstanding blacks and no crush.
post #81 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtv View Post

I received my 52D64U on Saturday, after ordering on 9/7. The 65D64U which was supposed to go in the family room is MIA and no one seems to know what happaned to it. Sharp opened a case, so I hope to find out this week. In the meantime, I took down my Vizio GV52 from the bedroom and put side by side with the new Sharp. Connected both via QAM tuner and receive broadcast HD channnels. So here's the bad news: despite using the settings listed on this Forum (one in Dynamic Mode and the other User Mode), the Vizio picture offers a more vivid, clearer picture. Now, I tweaked, raised backlight, raised contrast, went back and forth with Sharpness and Tint. The result is, while the Sharp has stronger, bolder colors, the picture is somewhat darker and not as clear as the Vizio. Skintone is much more natural on the Vizio. And this is after hours of tweaking the Sharp. The skintones on the Sharp have too much color or something. Has anybody else done a side-by-side? It kills me that my new Sharp isn't as clear, HD clear, as the Vizio. The shows I watched were The Today Show (NBC-HD), The View (ABC-HD), and PBS-HD (something regarding the moon). It just seems like there is a vail of color on the images that keeps it from looking as clear as the Vizio. I tried shutting down DNR (off), Image (off), Fast Motion (off)?

Any suggestions? Could it be that the D64U series is just a placeholder and Sharp's strong televisions are the D93U? Can the Vizio really be that good?


I have compared the GV52 Vizio side by side with the SHARP LC6052U and there was no comparision at all. The Vizio had a grainy picture and the blacks were horrible. I could never get the Vizio tweaked to come close to the picture provided by the SHARP with SD or HD. The clarity, blacks, skin tone - virtually everything was basically better on the SHARP. I doubt the 64 could have a worse picture than the LC60 since the LC60 is the lower priced model. I am very surprised by your comparison. I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has compared the D64U to the Vizio.
post #82 of 863
Hi,

I have a 4264U and a smaller Vizio on my kitchen table.

All I can say, and this is my opinion, is that the Sharp is a vast improvment, color-wise, over the Vizio. The Vizio just doesn't seem to have the same color range as the Sharp. And it certainly doesn not have the same black levels of the Sharp, either.

Just my opinion, of course.
post #83 of 863
I found these recently via Google.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Nice test patterns.... Especially the Contrast/Dark Level test. I couldn't see squares 1-5 until I bumped up the Brightness control a few. It's now at +2.

Can't get the Gamma test adjusted properly though.

My current settings:

Backlight +9
Contrast +31 (at "+32" or above I totally lose squares 251-253 on the White Saturation test)
Brightness +2 (at "+1" or below I totally lose square 1 on the Contrast/Dark Level test)
Color -1
Tint +11
Sharpness 0

CMS Hue
R +5
Y -5
G -1
C 0
B 0
M -10

CMS Saturation
R +6
Y 0
G +15
C 0
B +3
M +15

Color Temp: Middle
Active Contrast: Off
Fine Motion: Off
post #84 of 863
OK, I was able to easily adjust my Gamma using Entech PowerStrip which I've had installed on my HTPC for years for use with my previous TV.

I found that this gamma test screen was much more accurate than the one I posted above.

I slide the Gamma slider to "0.88" in order to get the suggested "Gamma 2.2" on the test chart.



The high-res wallpapers I have on my hard drive really pop-out now!

Of course every time I open up the ATI Catalyst Control Center, it screws up my new Gamma setting. So I had to set it in the Control Center (under "Color") as well.

And these Gamma adjustments only help me when viewing material on my HTPC. They are of no help whatsoever when viewing my other sources such as my PS3/Blu-ray/DVD or DirecTV.

Can Gamma be adjusted in the Sharp Service menu???
post #85 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfan27 View Post

I received my 46" last week and used the calibration setting from this forum and it looks great. Thanks everyone. I also turned down the brightness to 0.

I do have one issue with the tv - OTA channels disappear after rescan.

When I first got my tv I wanted to see if I get any OTA HD channels so I ran the channel search and received several HD channels except for 2.1 (CBS) and 5.1 (CW).
So I just thought my antenna was not picking them up. Couple days later I picked up a different antenna thinking maybe I can pick up those missing channels. So I hooked it up and did a channel search again - now I get those missing channels but I lost couple others. I don not see them under channel memory. I switched out the antenna to the original one and I still have the issue. I tried going to the missing channel by putting in 7.1 and it just tells me "Failed to receive broadcast". This is the channel I was able to watch until I rescanned.

It seems like once a scan is done, you're locked into those channels

Don't know if it will help but you may want to try and scan without the antenna, to clear out the channel list, then re-attach antenna and scan again.
post #86 of 863
Guys,
First off, thanks for posting your settings.
After I got my two 46D64U's safely in Canada on Sunday (after driving 8 hours, there and back to pick it up in the U.S) the first thing I did was obvioulsy start by plugging in my best source (Xbox 360 @ 1080p) to see what this puppy could do. I was actually, a little disappointed. The dashboard of the Xbox was pristine, also NHL 08 looked AMAZING. However, I downloaded some HD trailers in 1080p from the following sites to see what they would look like but disappointed with the results.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...tshowcase.aspx
http://www.drfoster.f2s.com/trailers_hd-dvd.shtml
I am using my Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender from my Media Center PC.
I found that most of these trailers showed some "noise" in the lighter areas on the screen. Can anyone else see what I am describing?
I am not the type to go searching for banding, or other known issues, but even my wife noticed it (I was trying to ignore it)

Please tell me it is the source and not my set.
post #87 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn23 View Post

Don't know if it will help but you may want to try and scan without the antenna, to clear out the channel list, then re-attach antenna and scan again.

I tried that and it didn't work. When I reattached the antenna, no channels came up. It looks like it's locked in, and you can't tune in if it fails to pick up the channels during the scan.

Update - I just got off the phone with Sharp's customer support and they confirmed you can't manually add a channel to memory nor tune to it directly. Don't rescan if you already are getting the channels you desire because you might lose them if the tv doesn't pick it up at that particular moment.
post #88 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx_78 View Post

I found that most of these trailers showed some "noise" in the lighter areas on the screen. Can anyone else see what I am describing?

The 1080p trailers I download onto my PS3 from the PlayStation store are flawless.
post #89 of 863
I have my 52D64U for almost a week now and for the past few days I am using baloo75's settings with contrast and brightness to suit my taste. I am very happy with my set when the source is my PS3 (Blue Planet, movie trailers) and my HTPC (DVI -> HDMI). As for TV source the picture varies so much between local HD stations (even different programs with same station). In the LA/OC area I think the best picture (and color) is CBS local news in HD. For anyone who still does not get the kind of picture they expect, you should give your set a try with BD/HD-DVD, HTPC, and if you live on the LA/OC area CBS local news and baloo75's setting.
post #90 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx_78 View Post

Guys,
First off, thanks for posting your settings.
After I got my two 46D64U's safely in Canada on Sunday (after driving 8 hours, there and back to pick it up in the U.S) the first thing I did was obvioulsy start by plugging in my best source (Xbox 360 @ 1080p) to see what this puppy could do. I was actually, a little disappointed. The dashboard of the Xbox was pristine, also NHL 08 looked AMAZING. However, I downloaded some HD trailers in 1080p from the following sites to see what they would look like but disappointed with the results.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...tshowcase.aspx
http://www.drfoster.f2s.com/trailers_hd-dvd.shtml
I am using my Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender from my Media Center PC.
I found that most of these trailers showed some "noise" in the lighter areas on the screen. Can anyone else see what I am describing?
I am not the type to go searching for banding, or other known issues, but even my wife noticed it (I was trying to ignore it)

Please tell me it is the source and not my set.

Sounds like a source issue. As another said...BD movies, and the Trailers I've downloaded off of the PS3 network display no "noise" of any kind.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sharp Aquos D64U Calibrations and Settings