or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › OPPO Digital Presents: DV-983H w/ ABT chips (1080p, SACD DSD, 7.1 Surround, USB 2.0)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OPPO Digital Presents: DV-983H w/ ABT chips (1080p, SACD DSD, 7.1 Surround, USB 2.0) - Page 2  

post #31 of 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I would have to disagree. I just did a comparison between the 980H and the 79avi. After several days with the 980H I prefer the 79avi over the 980H. When you factor in cost the 980H is the clear winner of course but I will stay with the 79avi for now. I will definitely order a 983H when they become available for sure.

Pioneer has not been using their Elite branding that well the past couple of years. As an example, the DV-48AVI is nothing more than a DV-980H in a different package. The chasis is small, and they added a 1.5lb bottom plate to increase the weight, and feel, of the player, all so they can charge you $300 MSRP.

If the new Elite is anything like the DV-48AVI, then you are being fleesed by the marketability of the name, and not the actual quality of the product.
post #32 of 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Pioneer has not been using their Elite branding that well the past couple of years. As an example, the DV-48AVI is nothing more than a DV-980H in a different package. The chasis is small, and they added a 1.5lb bottom plate to increase the weight, and feel, of the player, all so they can charge you $300 MSRP.

If the new Elite is anything like the DV-48AVI, then you are being fleesed by the marketability of the name, and not the actual quality of the product.

All I am going on is actual viewing in my system comparing the 79avi to the 980H. It seems that some are taking exception to the fact that I prefer the 79avi to the 980H. So much in fact to dig up little known facts about DV-48avi and slamming Pioneer products.

Elite products in your opinion could be crap which is fine but I have had my 79avi for close to two years without one issue. I paid quite a bit more than $169.00 for the 79avi but I do not think I was fleeced at all.

I thought I did a pretty impartial personal review of both players and feel no need to slam Oppo and their excellent products. Again this is just my opinion and I could be the minority here but my eyes and ears judged for themselves.

Bill
post #33 of 2145
Don't get me wrong, Bill, I have been a long time fan of Pioneer and their Elite line (all of my receivers and plasmas had been Elites). But that love affair is not the blind faith it used to be. The more I play with all of these toys, the less and less I am impressed with the design decisions Pioneer has made with the Elite line (mainly, I am paying for the name alone).

My statements are completely based off of my experience with the DV-983H and previous generation players, including the current Elite. I defended my statements not with blind ire, but a direct reference to a product which is earily similar to the DV-980H at a premium price for minor differences. The main quip, again, is that the current Elite does not feel or look like an Elite. It is just a branded name that serves no purpose other than increasing the cost of the player.

I can't directly compare to the new Elite, but if Pioneer is pulling the same punches they have been for the past couple of years, I am looking in their direction with a slight squint in my eye.

EDIT: Note how I have not "corrected" or "reprimanded" you for your statements in the DV-980H forums. Your opinion is your opinion.
post #34 of 2145
Neuro is right. I think the 79AVi is a very poorly implemented video player. It's not even as good as the 59AVi it supposedly replaced. I have had the 980H in my system for about a month. I do prefer the picture (and lack of a layer change ) of the Oppo vs the 59AVi that I had. The Pio has a better analog output stage, but with HDMI 1.2 and a suitable pre/pro or receiver, that becomes moot.

I also believe that Pioneer knows that the 79AVi was a mistake. That's why the new Pio Elite player is a 58AV, and not a 78AV, for example.

Bill- With all those settings available in the Pio's menu system that the 980H doesn't have, can you fix all the problems that Kris found in his review? No.

The Oppo is a "cheaper" player than the Pioneers. No question. But don't let the weight fool you. Oppos are outstanding performers no matter what the cost of the competition is.
post #35 of 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown View Post

Bill- With all those settings available in the Pio's menu system that the 980H doesn't have, can you fix all the problems that Kris found in his review? No.

The Oppo is a "cheaper" player than the Pioneers. No question. But don't let the weight fool you. Oppos are outstanding performers no matter what the cost of the competition is.

Kevin,

I know we debated the 79avi vs. 59avi quite awhile ago. But as I have said many times I judge PQ on what I see in my system not on results of a calibration disc. And I am sure that the settings in the 79avi's menu will not fix what Kris found as I sure he would have done that on his own!

As far as the size or weight of a player to me has no bearing on quality as Oppo has clearly shown. In all honesty if Oppo was not coming out with the 983H I would unpack the 980H and spend some more time with it (I might anyhow). I will order a 983H when they become available for sure.

Bill
post #36 of 2145
Bill Mac prefers the 79avi over the 980H and Kevin Brown prefers the 980H over the 59avi... That's what this forum is all about. We share our experiences.

I'm scratching my head a little bit about the 980H. I have an Insignia which uses the same MTK chip as the 970 so I'm familiar with how sharp the picture can look. No experience w/the 970 but I'm sure it's better than my Insignia. It took a pretty fast HTPC with advanced ffdshow settings to improve over the 59avi in my environment.

We'll have to wait and see this new Oppo. It sounds exciting. I didn't jump on the Oppo bandwagon before because I have extensive experience with the Faroudja chip (Denon 2910, 3910, Zenith 318, LG 418...and one Samsung) and the picture never looked right to me. Finally Oppo has picked a top notch chip and this could be a giant killer.
post #37 of 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

As an example, the DV-48AVI is nothing more than a DV-980H in a different package.

So are you saying that Oppo is the OEM for Pioneer's DV-48AV? Because I was going to buy the DV-48 as a replacement for the 980, which I am not that impressed with. The 980 combs horribly on my Sony 34XBR960 with any type of video or animation at 480p and higher. So if the DV-48 is just a clone of the 980, I definely will be getting the DV-58 or the 983 (hopefully its ABT scaler will do the trick) instead.
post #38 of 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicey View Post

So are you saying that Oppo is the OEM for Pioneer's DV-48AV? Because I was going to buy the DV-48 as a replacement for the 980, which I am not that impressed with. The 980 combs horribly on my Sony 34XBR960 with any type of video or animation at 480p and higher. So if the DV-48 is just a clone of the 980, I definely will be getting the DV-58 or the 983 (hopefully its ABT scaler will do the trick) instead.

No, what I am saying is that the Pioneer likely uses the same MTK solution that the DV-980H does based off of the video specifications, USB functionality, file support, and so forth. The Pioneer uses higher quality OP/Amps, power supply, and so forth, but really, the design of the player is not worth $130, let alone be a part of the Elite family.
post #39 of 2145
a 983 sounds like what ive been waiting for so i can upgrade from my pan s77. the hddvd players seem to be too unreliable and troublesome for me so far but the g3 players might be better.
post #40 of 2145
The one thing I wish more upscalers would do is 768p. It would be a nice addition to this player.

Now, unfortunately, the only way I can input 768p to my Pioneer plasma is to use the VGA input (which is terrible, and actually only 1280x760 - not 768).

I hate double scaling, so I always end up letting my display upscale from a native resolution....

Sigh....
post #41 of 2145
How hard would it be for oppo to add video input and turn it into a video processor for all signals?
post #42 of 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

How hard would it be for oppo to add video input and turn it into a video processor for all signals?

Video reciever circuitry - whether analog or HDMI - is not trivial, especially for something designed as soley an output device. Add to that the fact that it adds "switching", and it's something that I can't ever see happening - on ANY disc player - ever.
post #43 of 2145
That and implementation is key. One of the reasons you buy any dedicated device is due to it doing a better job than an all-in-one-solution. If OPPO added inputs, then they would have to code their system to work will all signals (good and bad), which dilutes the overall quality of the product, as they are stretching their power across a wide-range of possible inputs.
post #44 of 2145
I've been considering the 981 because it is supposed to do better with PAL discs. Should I wait for the 983 instead? I'm not familiar with the V50, can someone provide a link?

Thanks
post #45 of 2145
The DV-983H is more akin to a DVD player version of the ABT VP30
post #46 of 2145
How well do the OPPO's do as CD players? If I was going to use it as a transport, through the analog outs, to my preamp, does it really matter? Do we have pricing, and ship dates yet?
post #47 of 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan51 View Post

How well do the OPPO's do as CD players? If I was going to use it as a transport, through the analog outs, to my preamp, does it really matter?

Ahem. If you use the analog outs, you are using it as a player. If you use only the digital outputs, then you are using it as a transport.
post #48 of 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

The DV-983H is more akin to a DVD player version of the ABT VP30

So will it have deinterlacing and cadence handling equal to or better than the Faroudja in the 981?
post #49 of 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder Young View Post

So will it have deinterlacing and cadence handling equal to or better than the Faroudja in the 981?

Anchor Bay's Precision Deinterlacing is considered one of the best, if not the best, deinterlacing solutions. It is a 10-bit Motion, Edge and Source Adaptive deinterlacer which is cadence agnostic. The scaling solution in the Oppo DV-983 is also from Anchor Bay, but it is not the ABT1010 it is the ABT1018 (http://www.anchorbaytech.com/product...rs/abt1018.php). The major difference between these two scaling chips is that the ABT1018 has frame-rate conversion and it supports more output resolutions.

The Oppo DV-983 has the potential to provide exactly the same performance as an SDI modified DVD player connected to a DVDO iScan VP30 (MSRP $1999 + SDI Input Module $399) with the ABT102 ($499) Precision Deinterlacing card installed.
post #50 of 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Ahem. If you use the analog outs, you are using it as a player. If you use only the digital outputs, then you are using it as a transport.

Doh!!!
Thanks Kal, I knew that. Long day at work. So would it be best to run from the opt/coax or HDMI. to the Processor. Soon to be Integra DTC 9.8, if it ever ships
post #51 of 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan51 View Post

Doh!!!
Thanks Kal, I knew that. Long day at work. So would it be best to run from the opt/coax or HDMI. to the Processor. Soon to be Integra DTC 9.8, if it ever ships

Bingo! HDMI/DSD into the 9.8 is the way to go.
post #52 of 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@dvdo View Post

Anchor Bay's Precision Deinterlacing is considered one of the best, if not the best, deinterlacing solutions. It is a 10-bit Motion, Edge and Source Adaptive deinterlacer which is cadence agnostic. The scaling solution in the Oppo DV-983 is also from Anchor Bay, but it is not the ABT1010 it is the ABT1018 (http://www.anchorbaytech.com/product...rs/abt1018.php). The major difference between these two scaling chips is that the ABT1018 has frame-rate conversion and it supports more output resolutions.

The Oppo DV-983 has the potential to provide exactly the same performance as an SDI modified DVD player connected to a DVDO iScan VP30 (MSRP $1999 + SDI Input Module $399) with the ABT102 ($499) Precision Deinterlacing card installed.

This sounds great! I'll be eagerly awaiting the DV-983. Thanks for the information.
post #53 of 2145
In the link for the ABT1018 that Josh@dvdo provided, it states that it supports the framerates of 50,60,72,75 and "others". I wonder if one of the "others" could be 24p? If Oppo can pull it off, I believe that would make the 983 the first DVD player to support 1080p24. How sweet would that be?!
post #54 of 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicey View Post

In the link for the ABT1018 that Josh@dvdo provided, it states that it supports the framerates of 50,60,72,75 and "others". I wonder if one of the "others" could be 24p? If Oppo can pull it off, I believe that would make the 983 the first DVD player to support 1080p24. How sweet would that be?!

Upscaling 480i SD DVD to 1080p/24 with the ABT solution would be worth the price of admission, regardless of anything else it may do - especially if you happen to have a display that supports display at 72fps or 96fps for 24fps content.

This alone would make me buy it.
post #55 of 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder Young View Post

So will it have deinterlacing and cadence handling equal to or better than the Faroudja in the 981?

By a WIDE margin. The ABT solution is very close to state-of-the-art.
post #56 of 2145
There will be some HD DVD players implementing ABT right?

Throws a wrench in there if Oppo needs to raise it's pricing again.
post #57 of 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdilM View Post

There will be some HD DVD players implementing ABT right?

The Toshiba HD-A30 and the rebagged Integra have the ABT solution.
post #58 of 2145
Quick question - So, the 983 will be on the same chassis as the 980, not the 981...does this mean it'll have the same "guts" for audio as the 980? I know it may not make a big difference, but those 970/980s seem to have too good of a reputation for audio to just ignore the question...

This unit does look like it could be a great final "hurrah" for the affordable, universal standard-def player...
post #59 of 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

How hard would it be for oppo to add video input and turn it into a video processor for all signals?

Probably about $1500 hard.

larry
post #60 of 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

The Toshiba HD-A30 and the rebagged Integra have the ABT solution.

I'm assuming your just referring to scaling (i.e. ABT1018) and not de-interlacing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Players (Standard Def)
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › OPPO Digital Presents: DV-983H w/ ABT chips (1080p, SACD DSD, 7.1 Surround, USB 2.0)