or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › CONFIRMED! Mitsu HM-HS2000 can play PV-HD1000 tapes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CONFIRMED! Mitsu HM-HS2000 can play PV-HD1000 tapes.  

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
The Home Theater Store in Austin just got the Mitsubishi HM-HS2000U D-VHS deck and the WS-65869 RPTV. I popped in a tape I made on the Panasonic combo and it worked! The set correctly decoded video and audio. I also tried a Japanese BS recording; I got video but no audio. This makes sense as the RPTV is for the U.S. market and is not expected to decode AAC audio streams.

I was not allowed to mess with their setup so I couldn't test to see if the HS2000U could work with the TU-DST50/51.

But this is good news for all those D-VHS tape collectors. It appears that our libraries will be forward-compatible with the upcoming crop of D-VHS products.

-Dylan

P.S.: I tried my demo model PV-HD1000 on a Sony KD34XBR2 TV; the set detected a new i.Link device, but it would not recognize the device as a D-VHS deck. So no picture. :( Perhaps this TV needed a firmware update, or a consumer model of the PV-HD1000 is required. Definitely try before you buy.
post #2 of 8
If you get back to that store, try to see if you can get the Mitsubishi deck to record from the ATSC tuner in the Mitsubishi set. Take a look at the manuals for both and see what they have to say about it. I'm dying to know.

Though I really like what I can see of Mitsubishi's 2002 line, the company makes a big mistake by not offering PDFs of its manuals online like RCA and JVC do--it makes extremely effective sales literature.

-- Mike Scott
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by michaeltscott
If you get back to that store, try to see if you can get the Mitsubishi deck to record from the ATSC tuner in the Mitsubishi set. Take a look at the manuals for both and see what they have to say about it. I'm dying to know.

-- Mike Scott
Mike,
Don't panic. According to the Mitsubishi display marketing manager, this is the way it's supposed to work.
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H


Mike,
Don't panic. According to the Mitsubishi display marketing manager, this is the way it's supposed to work.
Ahhh, very cool! It's really the only thing that made any sense (but then, it made sense that the XBR2s should serve video from their 1394 connections, too), but none of their marketing literature spelled it out clearly. Thanks for asking!

-- Mike Scott
post #5 of 8
Mike,

were you thinking you could send the Dish 5000 with HDTV remodulated signal to the Mitsubishi ATSC tuner and record it with the Mitsubishi D-VHS vcr? If that would work it would be great, it would take the Panasonic (read: out of production) components out of the equasion and replace them with reliable Mitsubishi components. Now the question is, will the DTCP police allow this activity, they did allow the Panasonic D-VHS tape to be viewed.

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. all I'm asking for is "copy once", do you think this will be possible? (non PPV of course).
post #6 of 8
It sounds really good. BTW, what's the price tag on this baby?

Regards,
Barry
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by RDave
Mike,

were you thinking you could send the Dish 5000 with HDTV remodulated signal to the Mitsubishi ATSC tuner and record it with the Mitsubishi D-VHS vcr? If that would work it would be great, it would take the Panasonic (read: out of production) components out of the equasion and replace them with reliable Mitsubishi components. Now the question is, will the DTCP police allow this activity, they did allow the Panasonic D-VHS tape to be viewed.

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. all I'm asking for is "copy once", do you think this will be possible? (non PPV of course).
Dave, I think that the DISH 5000+Modulator+Mitsubishi TV+1394 recorder would work for recording DISH for a while--for as long as you can keep your DISH 5000+Modulator working, which DISH will not help you to do. They may have something else up their sleeve for disabling this combination--it could well be equiped to down-rez copy-protected MPEG-2 before passing it to the modulator, for all we know.

When you think about it, except for the non-secure connection between the modulator and the set, this is all that the copy protection people are asking for. If the MPEG-2 stream had copy-protection flags embedded in it, the recorder would honor them. However that non-secure connection is something that will bother them--it could easily be hooked up to a HiPix card or something similar, with which full HD quality captures of protected DISH programming could be stored on the disk of a PC connected to the Internet, their worse nightmare.

--- Mike Scott
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by barrycchang
It sounds really good. BTW, what's the price tag on this baby?
The price tag of what?

I got a little carried away as I explored the information that I could dig up on Mitsubishi's 2002 product line in a recent thread, starting around the middle of this post. I make several posts after that, revealing stuff that I'd found in researching it online, including some online prices for a couple of the Integrated sets that have become available so far, and some cool pictures illustrating how FireWire A/V interconnection can vastly simplify system hookup.

Among the things I found was this page at Mitsubishi's site, which gives a synopsis of the product line and the list prices thereof. The list of the HS-HD2000U is $1049. You should be able to find it discounted down to $750 or so, once it gets around, I should think. The prices of the televisions vary, topping out at $10.5k for the 73" RPTV (the Integrated models are all RPTVs)--you would need a television with a 1394/DTCP connection to view HD recordings made on Mitsubishi's deck.

-- Mike Scott
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › CONFIRMED! Mitsu HM-HS2000 can play PV-HD1000 tapes.