or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Acer PH530 Tweakers and Calibration thread..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Acer PH530 Tweakers and Calibration thread..

post #1 of 312
Thread Starter 
Alright with the user base of this projector growing in this site I would like to start the official tweakers and calibration thread just like the other popular projectors... I'm currently using factory RGB settings and i'm pretty satisfied with the picture quality but would like to maximize the image on this projector.. I dont have any calibration discs but if people would like to post their settings that would be great... Thanks
post #2 of 312
This is a great idea Jay. Since I still haven't finished my Boc screen yet, the settings I have for my yellowish wall aren't really worth sharing. I have the frame finished. Hopefully by this weekend, I will have the Boc attached and the screen mounted for some serious movie watching.
post #3 of 312
Cool! I just mounted my screen for this PJ last night so I will start tweaking it immediately. It will be good to have some others' input.
post #4 of 312
Thanks for this thread. I also need help with settings. I understand how to tweak contrast, tint, and brightness with DVE, but have no idea about saturation, degamma, color temperature, white segment, and R/G/B.

What was the default saturation?
post #5 of 312
It might be worth noting that out of the box, using analog component video, the color temperature seems to be preset to "warm." I thought my picture was too yellowish until I reset the color temp on the middle of the three preset options.

I haven't tried the computer options yet.
post #6 of 312
I had this projector shipped to my parents house since shipping boxes tend to "disappear" when left in front of my house. With that said, I don't have my full range of equipment to tweak this guy with. Right out of the box projecting on a white wall gave me an awesome picture. I should be able to tweak with AVIA tomorrow night. Also, I'll probably whip this guy out to watch the Michigan-Notre Dame game in a bright room so I can see how it does with a lot of light.
post #7 of 312
After a couple hours of watching video files via HTPC, here are my settings for HDMI:


USER
Brightness: 21
Contrast: 77
Color Temp: 1
White Segment: 3
Degamma: 5
Red: 88
Green: 82
Blue: 87
Saturation: 67
Tint: 49
1:1
Signal Type: YCbCr

I look forward to feedback from you guys....
post #8 of 312
Trying your settings now.

Why are you using 1:1 instead of 16:9?

Does the Signal Type change based on the channel you're on? It is changing for me.

For some reason, for the channels higher than 200, it's YCbCr and the picture shows up. For channels below 200, the picture won't show up and it changes to RGB.

This is via HDMI on my Motorola DCT-6412 III. Component doesn't have any problems.
post #9 of 312
1:1 is pixel mapped. As long as your sending a native 720p signal, your gonna want the Projector to be in the 1:1 setting.


The issue your having with the cable box could be due to the color space changing as you go from Analog/SD channels to Digital/HD channels. 200 being the start of the HD channels with anything below 200 being SD or analog.
post #10 of 312
Is there a fix? Would getting the Motorola 3412 fix the problem or is it a problem with the projector?

Also, what would your suggestions be for using the PH530 with ambient light? Change white segment to 10 and contrast to 100?
post #11 of 312
Everyone will have different settings because of the changing eviroments and room lighting and screens , also the distance the Pj throws an image like me for example I have an 80 inch screen at around 11 feet away and my setting differ from the post befor this one in post #-7.
I tried that setup and in my system and the image was a bit dull.
But with the THX setup disc I have the images jump off the screen.
LL
LL
LL
post #12 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz View Post

Everyone will have different settings because of the changing eviroments and room lighting and screens , also the distance the Pj throws an image like me for example I have an 80 inch screen at around 11 feet away and my setting differ from the post befor this one in post #-7.
I tried that setup and in my system and the image was a bit dull.
But with the THX setup disc I have the images jump off the screen.

Plus the fact that every bulb is different too. You can calibrete 10 different PJs in the same room, with hte same lighting, on the same screen and they will all have different numbers. Similar, but not the same.

A thread like this will give people a good STARTING POINT for calibrating their PJs. Like you can find someone here who has the same "viewing environment" as you, then punch in their calibrated numbers. From that point you can tweak the numbers to better fit your situation.
post #13 of 312
Maybe we should post what type of screen we are using and lighting conditions also. may help.
post #14 of 312
I am using a Draper v screen , cheap , flexible and verybright with a screen gain of 1.5.
I hope this helps others , I got my from projector place for around $50.00 shipped..
post #15 of 312
ok im getting my ph530 soon , got it costcentral.com for $642.00 with shiping.. upgrading from BENQ PB6100.. had the ben for about 3 year and no problems with it at all .. but i had bad storm that blew out alot of stuff in my house and the ben wont power on now.. i need to know if any one has idea's about the best way to hook up my xbox360 with hd dvd add on .. i have read some post about the vga cable being the way to go to upscale sd dvds.. i plan on usign hdmi for my hd dvr from time warner cable , and will it be better to set my setting on my dvr and xbox at 720p or 180i or 1080p ..i will be using a 92" screen...
post #16 of 312
Used DVE to calibrate tonight. Surprisingly, I had to change degamma to 7 to be able to get red, blue, and greens calibrated.

Here are my settings in eco mode ON via HDMI, totally dark room (updated)

Brightness 15
Contrast 65
Color Temperature 1
White Segment 0
Degamma 7
Color R 88
Color G 82
Color B 87
Saturation 61
Tint 48

Sharpness 15.

Since I use component for my cable box, should I plug in component for my DVD player to Projector and re-calibrate for component?

It looks like HDMI and Component have their own 'user' settings. When I calibrated via HDMI and changed back to STB via component, I noticed that the values changed.
post #17 of 312
Grayson73

You calibrated proj when using HDMI, then when you switched to component you did Not have your calibration settings. So when you switch back to HDMI are the setting you customized there? Im just curious if the machine is resetting itself or if in fact it does have it own settings, one for hdmi and another for component.

I will have mine on wednesday and will test hdmi, component, and component to vga using adapter.

Sweet let the testing begin.
post #18 of 312
The unit seems to keep it's own White, Black, Color & Tint settings per input.

I've worked very hard today on the colors and I think I have done very well for myself. I seem to prefer the Degamma at 5 and White Segment at 3... Eitherway, this unit seems to be very calibrator friendly, even for a novice like myself. I also find that for HTPC use, in my specific application where an 8500GT (XP Pro) being fed via HDMI... the unit seems to take better to 48hz rather than 72hz. With 48hz, I have seen no tearing on DVDs and the PQ is stupendous.






P.S. Guys, so far the only person who has been kind enough to contact me regarding some assistance on the shipping to get the "Ace" to Art is smarty-pants. This review will benefit us all and any other potential buyers who frequent this forum.

Anyone who might be interested to in helping me foot the shipping charges, PM me and I will send u my Paypal address.
post #19 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz View Post

1:1 is pixel mapped. As long as your sending a native 720p signal, your gonna want the Projector to be in the 1:1 setting.


The issue your having with the cable box could be due to the color space changing as you go from Analog/SD channels to Digital/HD channels. 200 being the start of the HD channels with anything below 200 being SD or analog.

When I use 1:1 with the Motorola STB, sometimes I get a thin line of noise at the top, sometimes, on the side. No problems when set to 16:9.
post #20 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

Used DVE to calibrate tonight. Surprisingly, I had to change degamma to 7 to be able to get red, blue, and greens calibrated.

Here are my settings in eco mode OFF via HDMI, totally dark room:

Brightness 0
Contrast 90
Color Temperature 0
White Segment 0
Degamma 7
Color R 100
Color G 102
Color B 100
Saturation 52
Tint 49

I also turned Sharpness down to 0.

It looks like HDMI and Component have their own 'user' settings. When I calibrated via HDMI and changed back to STB via component, I noticed that the values changed.

I tried these settings with my Motorola STB via Component and noticed that something was wrong. When watching football players with white jerseys and names in green, I couldn't read the name. I tried with other modes and I could read the name.

Does that mean Contrast is too high or do I need to use a different degamma or color temp?

When trying to calibrate contrast with DVE and HDMI, I didn't see any 'blooming' nor 'color changes' until around 90, so I set it at 90. It's possible that 90 is good for the DVD player, but not for the Motorola STB.

It's so hard to calibrate when there are 3 color modes, 7 degamma modes, and 11 color segment modes. Also, the manual says that "Saturation and Tint functions are supported under Video mode only."

Some degamma modes seem to be more detailed than others. I'm very confused! Seems like we need a professional to look at this.
post #21 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

When I use 1:1 with the Motorola STB, sometimes I get a thin line of noise at the top, sometimes, on the side. No problems when set to 16:9.

You can eliminate the noise by setting the "ZOOM" on the Acer Remote to 2.

This will act as an "overscan"
post #22 of 312
tattootearz
I think there is still a little too much green in those screen shots!?
It would be informative to see a screen shot of a grayscale.
post #23 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

Seems like we need a professional to look at this.

Exactly. That's why tattootearz is sending his off for just that reason, a professional review. If you have not done so already, please Paypal him some dough to help cover shipping costs for the review. We will ALL benefit from this.
post #24 of 312
After Playing around with Avia and some of the settings I posted earlier I came up with these settings for HDMI. I ran the test and played some movies with an HD-A1 over HDMI.

Eco Mode: ON
Brightness: 47
Contrast: 74
Color Temp: 1
White Segment: 5
Degamma: 7
Red: 88
Green: 82
Blue: 87
Saturation: 61
Tint: 48
post #25 of 312
Venk,

Are you finding that tint and saturation work in 'User' mode? How do you calibrate Saturation? Also, why did you choose Color Temp 1? Do you know if this is the closest to D6500? I chose Color Temp 0 because 'Theater' mode used Color Temp 0.
post #26 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

Venk,

Are you finding that tint and saturation work in 'User' mode? How do you calibrate Saturation? Also, why did you choose Color Temp 1? Do you know if this is the closest to D6500? I chose Color Temp 0 because 'Theater' mode used Color Temp 0.

I found the correct contrast screen in DVE (the white to black screen with 5% increments). After using that, these are my settings:

Eco Mode OFF
Brightness 9
Contrast 65
Color Temperature 0
White Segment 0
Degamma 7
Color R 100
Color G 100
Color B 100
Saturation 50
Tint 50

I left Sharpness at 16.

Red and Blue were spot on with Color Temp 0 and Degamma 7. Green was a little off, but changing it didn't seem to help that much.

I'm still tweaking this around. On my screen, Color Temp Zero just looked "off". I know, not very descriptive, but CT 1 just gave me a bit more natural of a look. Don't forget, I run with ECO mode ON, so that probably made the difference in color temp. I think I may need to play around with CT/Degamma/White Balance some more to get the best picture. Saturation and Tint had adjustable sliders in User mode. I didn't have any issues changing them. Sharpness is set at 0.

I'll try your settings tonight and tell you if I see a change either way.
post #27 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by venk View Post

After Playing around with Avia and some of the settings I posted earlier I came up with these settings for HDMI. I ran the test and played some movies with an HD-A1 over HDMI.

Eco Mode: ON
Brightness: 47
Contrast: 74
Color Temp: 1
White Segment: 5
Degamma: 7
Red: 88
Green: 82
Blue: 87
Saturation: 61
Tint: 48

I punched these numbers in and I have to say I like them WAY better than my setting beforehand. I did have to re-adjust W/B level for my 100% dark environment but other than that, I find the colors to be more enjoyable.

This is getting interesting.


**As a side, I am still $100 away from my target for the shipping of the Ace to Art. So far, I've only gotten a couple people onboard. I am prepared to cover the costs myself but I was kinda hoping you guys would step up to the plate on this.
post #28 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz View Post

I punched these numbers in and I have to say I like them WAY better than my setting beforehand. I did have to re-adjust W/B level for my 100% dark environment but other than that, I find the colors to be more enjoyable.

This is getting interesting.


**As a side, I am still $100 away from my target for the shipping of the Ace to Art. So far, I've only gotten a couple people onboard. I am prepared to cover the costs myself but I was kinda hoping you guys would step up to the plate on this.

PM me your paypal address and i'll toss a couple bucks your way. $100?!?!? Why so expensive? If it is gong to cost you that much, you might want to settle for 2 way 2 day shipping.
post #29 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by venk View Post

PM me your paypal address and i'll toss a couple bucks your way. $100?!?!? Why so expensive? If it is gong to cost you that much, you might want to settle for 2 way 2 day shipping.

FedEx 2nd Day shipping is roughly $90 both ways.

Tacking on insurance for both trips, the cost is roughly $120 in total.
post #30 of 312
With the way these guys have been selling out everywhere, I KNOW we have more than 5-6 people here playing around with it. Lets see those tweaks people!

Please also add the screen/surface you are projecting and size you are projecting. I'm projecting a 73" image onto an Infocus 76" 1.0 Gain 16x9 Screen. I can't push my projector further back so I'm stuck with a small pillerbox effect on the screen.

Screen Specs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Acer PH530 Tweakers and Calibration thread..