or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Acer PH530 Tweakers and Calibration thread..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Acer PH530 Tweakers and Calibration thread.. - Page 2

post #31 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz View Post

P.S. Guys, so far the only person who has been kind enough to contact me regarding some assistance on the shipping to get the "Ace" to Art is smarty-pants. This review will benefit us all and any other potential buyers who frequent this forum.

Anyone who might be interested to in helping me foot the shipping charges, PM me and I will send u my Paypal address.

Sent. If everyone sends something, you should be well on your way
post #32 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by venk View Post

After Playing around with Avia and some of the settings I posted earlier I came up with these settings for HDMI. I ran the test and played some movies with an HD-A1 over HDMI.

Eco Mode: ON
Brightness: 47
Contrast: 74
Color Temp: 1
White Segment: 5
Degamma: 7
Red: 88
Green: 82
Blue: 87
Saturation: 61
Tint: 48

In the 'Image' tab, there are 3 signal types, RGB, YCbCr, and YPbPr. Which should be chosen? For my Motorola STB, RGB ends up being all green. Can't tell which is better between YCbCr and YPbPr.
post #33 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz View Post

I punched these numbers in and I have to say I like them WAY better than my setting beforehand. I did have to re-adjust W/B level for my 100% dark environment but other than that, I find the colors to be more enjoyable.

This is getting interesting.


**As a side, I am still $100 away from my target for the shipping of the Ace to Art. So far, I've only gotten a couple people onboard. I am prepared to cover the costs myself but I was kinda hoping you guys would step up to the plate on this.

I argee, that setting is a lot better... what I'm running too
post #34 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

In the 'Image' tab, there are 3 signal types, RGB, YCbCr, and YPbPr. Which should be chosen? For my Motorola STB, RGB ends up being all green. Can't tell which is better between YCbCr and YPbPr.

Use Signal Type: YCbCr for best results.
post #35 of 312
It's weird, my Signal Type setting gets reset every time I power the thing down.
post #36 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako PJ View Post

It's weird, my Signal Type setting gets reset every time I power the thing down.

Mines too, and it's very annoying. It even resets when you switch inputs or toggle refresh rates. *sigh*....
post #37 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako PJ View Post

It's weird, my Signal Type setting gets reset every time I power the thing down.

Are you unplugging the projector or have a switch to control the power going to the unit, If you do then that's the problem right there because mine keeps its setting for each input .
post #38 of 312
Lou, you also claimed that on page 22 of the Instruction Manual it was stated how to use H & V Sync on any input. I still have not found that and I have combed the manual.

Now on the subject of the Signal Type.... I can confirm that even when I toggle inputs or refresh rates and go back to the original point where I made the change, the setting always reverts back to YPbPr.
post #39 of 312
Yc and Yp look pretty much the same to me so I tend to leave that alone.

Right now with my settings, I'm fighting a black crush issue. Which settings can I tweak (and in which directions) to get rid of that?
post #40 of 312
I used Venk's settings and changed Brightness to 15 and Contrast to 65. Contrast beyond 65 was changing the white to pink/purple in the DVE 5% black-to-white color ramp.
post #41 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz View Post

Lou, you also claimed that on page 22 of the Instruction Manual it was stated how to use H & V Sync on any input. I still have not found that and I have combed the manual.

ok I did overlook that one so I was wrong,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz View Post

Now on the subject of the Signal Type.... I can confirm that even when I toggle inputs or refresh rates and go back to the original point where I made the change, the setting always reverts back to YPbPr.

Now when I power the PJ on and off mine keeps it's settings, so maybe there is something that you have overlooked.
But I'm not going to fire it up until friday so I will look it over and let you know.
post #42 of 312
Anyone know why on my 360 via VGA out @ 1280 x 720 my images comes in way off to the left? Even after adjusting the horizontal position all the way to 25, I am still off by 3 inches. Any other resolution or input is fine. The other VGA inputs center up nicely. Any ideas? I only want that resolution from the 360 due to it giving the best results for PQ for games and HD DVD's. It even beats out my Toshiba HD-A1 coming in via HDMI @ any resolution (just slightly)
post #43 of 312
I found some additional info on the lamp's specs from the Acer website:

Replacement Lamp for Acer Projector Models PH530 - expected lamp life 2,000 hours (standard) ; 3,000 hours (economy)

MODEL- .EC.J2101.001VENDOR- ACER AMERICA CORPORATION

FEATURES- 200W SHP Replacement Lamp
for Acer Projector PH530
expected lamp life 2,000 hours (standard); 3,000 hours (economy)
www.acer.com/us
post #44 of 312
PH530 will be here tomorrow. Then I can spend time on settings and throw some money for review.
I really think this one is a great bang for buck and better than some that cost more. Im sure its better than my BenQ pb6100 that it will be replacing.
benq bulb, which I need know is half the cost of this projector!
Yea ha
post #45 of 312
Proj just arrived a day early,. NICE settings Venk! I like them even with full bright. PH530 throws bigger image than pb6100. Will have to rebuild DIY screen. for $600 proj I will do it. Setting at 97" image at 15'6" back.
post #46 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproket View Post

Proj just arrived a day early,. NICE settings Venk! I like them even with full bright. PH530 throws bigger image than pb6100. Will have to rebuild DIY screen. for $600 proj I will do it. Setting at 97" image at 15'6" back.

I also have the Benq Pb6100. I'm just wondering if you could compare the two and list what things you find are better on the Acer. How much of an improvement overall would you say the upgrade is?

I plan to upgrade soon, so any and all input will be very helpful.

Thanks

Jason
post #47 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanmeng View Post

Anyone know why on my 360 via VGA out @ 1280 x 720 my images comes in way off to the left? Even after adjusting the horizontal position all the way to 25, I am still off by 3 inches. Any other resolution or input is fine. The other VGA inputs center up nicely. Any ideas? I only want that resolution from the 360 due to it giving the best results for PQ for games and HD DVD's. It even beats out my Toshiba HD-A1 coming in via HDMI @ any resolution (just slightly)

I have found the same issue with the 360 & Acer VGA combination. My image is way off to the left. I am using the 360 Pro Cooler and when I set the switches to VGA HDTV, I get the horrible off to the left image. I have tried all tracking, frequency & H/V Sync adjustments, to no avail. I have to set the Pro Cooler to Component Video output mode in order to get a full 1:1 pixel mapped 360 Dashboard. Problem with that is, that DVDs will not upscale with that setting. I dont use my 360 for DVD playback so I didnt spend too much time on this issue. However, it's a problem that needs to be resolved.
post #48 of 312
FYI- HDMI is a better picture than component to vga adtaper and Im sure better than component for all channels. Noticable really for SD.
post #49 of 312
This thread is just not active enough!

I'm sorely disappointed in you guys!
post #50 of 312
Chime in guys we need more support!
post #51 of 312
What is the deal with the degamma adjustment? It seems to make no sense. As I adjust from 1 thru 7 the image lightens then darkens then lightens then darkens again. I thought it should be a linear progression but it isn't. I'm using component in at 720p, and YPbPr.
post #52 of 312
I'm not terribly certain what degamma does either, but 7 seemed the best for me. Everything else was either grayed out blacks or crushed blacks. 5 seems to produce the deepest, and most crushed, black levels. 7 Brightens the image and gave me more shadow detail without graying out blacks too much. Tweaking the brightness and contrast also helped get degamma 7 to a more neutral black level to my eyes.

On a side note, anyone else annoyed at the focus ring of this projector? I swear, it turns every time I put the lens cap on making me readjust the focus whenever I use the projector.

Does anyone have any good settings for an Xbox 360 over Component? I would imagine settings for video games would be somewhat different than settings for movies. I hear the limited edition of Halo 3 is going to include a game calibration feature. If someone is picking up a copy of the LE, be sure to post what settings you get from that calibration.
post #53 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz View Post

I have found the same issue with the 360 & Acer VGA combination. My image is way off to the left. I am using the 360 Pro Cooler and when I set the switches to VGA HDTV, I get the horrible off to the left image. I have tried all tracking, frequency & H/V Sync adjustments, to no avail. I have to set the Pro Cooler to Component Video output mode in order to get a full 1:1 pixel mapped 360 Dashboard. Problem with that is, that DVDs will not upscale with that setting. I dont use my 360 for DVD playback so I didnt spend too much time on this issue. However, it's a problem that needs to be resolved.

I am having the same problem as detailed in the Acer PH530 thread. I have found no fix for this. I have tried contacting Acer support and here was thier cookie cutter reply:

"Thank you for contacting Acer America. I apologize for any delay in responding to your email. On the image menu try adjusting the screen ratio to 4:3 to see if this makes a difference and if you already have it at 4:3 try 16:9. Also check the have the projection location set to the correct one such as Front-Desktop, Front-Ceiling, Rear-Desktop. Also you can try adjusting the tracking on the image to see if this resolves your issue. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Acer Online Support Team"

I will try working this out with them.
post #54 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by venk View Post

Does anyone have any good settings for an Xbox 360 over Component? I would imagine settings for video games would be somewhat different than settings for movies. I hear the limited edition of Halo 3 is going to include a game calibration feature.

My Xbox 360 is in shipping now, when it arrives I'll check it out. With my Infocus X1 and the original xbox I would turn the projecter to the brightest settings for games. I think "PC mode" would be best for games with the Acer.
post #55 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatari5200 View Post

"Thank you for contacting Acer America. I apologize for any delay in responding to your email. On the image menu try adjusting the screen ratio to 4:3 to see if this makes a difference and if you already have it at 4:3 try 16:9. Also check the have the projection location set to the correct one such as Front-Desktop, Front-Ceiling, Rear-Desktop. Also you can try adjusting the tracking on the image to see if this resolves your issue. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Acer Online Support Team"


It doesn't look like they are going to be much help. I was going to email them about the degamma setting but I suspect I'd get the same answer. lol
post #56 of 312
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz View Post

I have found the same issue with the 360 & Acer VGA combination. My image is way off to the left. I am using the 360 Pro Cooler and when I set the switches to VGA HDTV, I get the horrible off to the left image. I have tried all tracking, frequency & H/V Sync adjustments, to no avail. I have to set the Pro Cooler to Component Video output mode in order to get a full 1:1 pixel mapped 360 Dashboard. Problem with that is, that DVDs will not upscale with that setting. I dont use my 360 for DVD playback so I didnt spend too much time on this issue. However, it's a problem that needs to be resolved.

For those of you having problems with the 360 through VGA with the image being to the left.. I had this same problem as well and what fixed it for me is setting the 360 at 1920 x 1080.. Hopefully it works for you guys because it did for me..
post #57 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mracacia View Post

What is the deal with the degamma adjustment? It seems to make no sense. As I adjust from 1 thru 7 the image lightens then darkens then lightens then darkens again. I thought it should be a linear progression but it isn't. I'm using component in at 720p, and YPbPr.

yepp, I see the same with my Ph530. I already though that my PJ is defective since nobody mentioned this issue so far.

I am quite disappointed with the black level and the especially with the shadow details, even after spending some time with the settings. I think the gamma level of the PH530 is way to low... What's your take on that?

BTW: Any hope that Acer could change that with a firmware update?
post #58 of 312
As I mentioned last week, this PJ suffers in the Black Level dept. The fact that you have to have Gamma at 7 to have a decent picture is laughable at best.

And that Green Tint to the picture.... I cant shake it.
post #59 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz View Post

As I mentioned last week, this PJ suffers in the Black Level dept. The fact that you have to have Gamma at 7 to have a decent picture is laughable at best.

And that Green Tint to the picture.... I cant shake it.

Art will have to be the "savior" on the best settings for the pj. Everyone seems to be struggling to find the best settings here.
I gather from your comments that you haven't sent it out yet??
post #60 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Art will have to be the "savior" on the best settings for the pj. Everyone seems to be struggling to find the best settings here.
I gather from your comments that you haven't sent it out yet??

Not yet, and thats a pitiful shame considering the overwhelming show of support I have received from the guys on this forum to cover the shipping fees.

Yea, so far though I've collected $15 and not a penny more. I really expected people to be a bit more proactive with this. I dont want to put anyone on the spot but I want to thank the (3) guys who helped out thus far. Eitherway, I wont ask for any more help on this. I will move forward on it myself.

Problem is, I sent Art an email some days ago to get his ship-to address and he hasnt gotten back to me yet. I will follow-up with another email shortly. As soon as he gets in touch with me, I will ship this baby out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Acer PH530 Tweakers and Calibration thread..