or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 170

post #5071 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

All in all, I thought this title ROCKED, upbeat for a blues album, every track was very good, and I would highly recommend it.

Thanks for the review Jay...sounds like an aggressive mix. Can be fun when it matches the music. I'll have to find a copy
post #5072 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

I got this in the mail today, HOLY MOLY if this one doesn't get ya movin, call the doc, take your pulse, heart must have quit beating.

After the first song played I was hooked and grabbed the disc notes. Originally recorded in 1989, it was mastered for surround in 2004. Sound quality is a solid 10, surround mix is a stage perspective, and it too rates a 10
in the instrumental department, but the vocals are weak in the surround mix.

This is a stage perspective, instruments are positioned all the way around. Interestingly, lead guitar and lead vocals do not come from the same place, vocals are center, and lead guitar is located close to the left speaker.

Byther has a great voice, it's smooth, clear, and sounds great, but vocals are recessed, and understated in the mix. It takes some effort to make out the lyrics.

All in all, I thought this title ROCKED, upbeat for a blues album, every track was very good, and I would highly recommend it.

Thanks Jay for the recommendation.
Just ordered my copy from Amazon for $14.99 shipped

Jeffrey
post #5073 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

Thanks Jay for the recommendation.
Just ordered my copy from Amazon for $14.99 shipped

Jeffrey

Me too...plus 4 other SACD blues titles (3 MCH!)...these are all very reasonably priced, what you would expect to pay for redbooks.

Carey Bell: Harpslinger - JSP Records
Jimmy Witherspoon - Big Blues- JSP Records
James & Lucky Peterson: If You Can't Fix It- JSP Records
Joe Beard: Dealin' - Audioquest 2.0

JSP Records also does the Buddy Guy - DJ Play My Blues
Audoquest does the Mightly Sam McClain and Doug MacLeod discs
post #5074 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Me too...plus 4 other SACD blues titles (3 MCH!)...these are all very reasonably priced, what you would expect to pay for redbooks.

Carey Bell: Harpslinger - JSP Records
Jimmy Witherspoon - Big Blues- JSP Records
James & Lucky Peterson: If You Can't Fix It- JSP Records
Joe Beard: Dealin' - Audioquest 2.0

JSP Records also does the Buddy Guy - DJ Play My Blues
Audoquest does the Mightly Sam McClain and Doug MacLeod discs

Martin,

Those are some great titles!

Did a quick listening audition on Amazon and also picked up:

Albert King - I'll Play the Blues for You

James & Lucky Peterson: If You Can't Fix It

Carey Bell: Harpslinger

Joe Beard: Dealin'

Personally I like Blues better than Jazz, but I'm slowly easing my way into Jazz selections as well.

Jeffrey
post #5075 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Me too...plus 4 other SACD blues titles (3 MCH!)...these are all very reasonably priced, what you would expect to pay for redbooks.

Carey Bell: Harpslinger - JSP Records
Jimmy Witherspoon - Big Blues- JSP Records
James & Lucky Peterson: If You Can't Fix It- JSP Records
Joe Beard: Dealin' - Audioquest 2.0

JSP Records also does the Buddy Guy - DJ Play My Blues
Audoquest does the Mightly Sam McClain and Doug MacLeod discs

I hereby rename this thread to "The Borg Effect"! Resistance is futile, looks like a few more coming my way . Thanks Martin!
post #5076 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

6)Hoodoo Man Blues Hoodoo Man Blues
Junior Wells

I love "In the Wee Hours of the Morning" Crank it up... EwwwwwwWeeee
post #5077 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

I love "In the Wee Hours of the Morning" Crank it up... EwwwwwwWeeee


Awesome Martin, looking forward to giving it a spin..

Dan
post #5078 of 9847
It looks like Hoodoo Man Blues will be in my next order from importcds. How is the SQ of this recording? I looked at the history of this album and it looks like it is one of the greatest blues albums ever.

Bill
post #5079 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

It looks like Hoodoo Man Blues will be in my next order from importcds. How is the SQ of this recording? I looked at the history of this album and it looks like it is one of the greatest blues albums ever.

Bill

Bill,

Let me give you an additional nudge (and others). The AQ is not the equivalent of "Come On In The House ('96)" and shouldn't be considering the age of the recording ('65). You get a bit more tape noise, but that's a good sign with older material. Kevin Grey mastered this one. The performance is classic with a young Buddy Guy on guitar. Using SA-CD.net ratings, I'd give 5 stars for performance, 4.5 for AQ...In the Wee Hours of the Morning is hauntingly good...Aw Lawdy. Very intimate recording with great harmonica work/this is the blues. You get harmonica, guitar, bass, drums and vocals. Highlights are the songs/harmonica/guitar work. I think it's a must have.

Somebody done Hoodoo'd the Hoodoo Man! One drink of wine and two drinks of gin...Great stuff for SACD addicts. If this doesn't get you head bobin and your foot tapin', your half way in the grave.
post #5080 of 9847
The Robert Cray Band:" Time will tell" Silverline DualDisc

Kudos to this forum for shedding light on the existence of the high-rez release of this album. It has good reviews. I like Robert Cray so I am looking forward to getting it in the mail.
post #5081 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp2600 View Post

The Robert Cray Band:" Time will tell" Silverline DualDisc

Kudos to this forum for shedding light on the existence of the high-rez release of this album. It has good reviews. I like Robert Cray so I am looking forward to getting it in the mail.


Would also like to express my thanks for all the great reviews and recommendations from our members!!

I also like Robert Cray as well and can't wait to listen to my copy once I get home next week.
At that time I will finally able to check out the growing mountain of SACD's, DVD-A's, DualDisc's, and concert Blu-rays I ordered since the beginning of this year.
Hopefully I will have time to listen to them all but if not they will be waiting for me the next time I return.

Jeffrey
post #5082 of 9847
Well due to peer pressure I also ordered the Robert Cray Time Will Tell DualDisc. I almost ordered it on Amazon from inetvideo for $11.96 but thought I would see if inetvideo had there own site. Sure enough they do have their own site and the disc is $9.99 with shipping the total was $12.94. So if you are thinking of ordering this disc I would sign up at inetvideo to save a few bucks. Does anyone know if the surround layer is in Hi-Rez (DVD-A)?

http://www.inetvideo.com/the-robert-...-tell-dualdisc

Bill
post #5083 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Well due to peer pressure I also ordered the Robert Cray Time Will Tell DualDisc. ... Does anyone know if the surround layer is in Hi-Rez (DVD-A)?

http://www.inetvideo.com/the-robert-...-tell-dualdisc

Bill

I ordered from inetvideo, too. Yes, the dvd side of the disc has the same content as the DVD-A. I checked several reviews before I ordered. It has a 24bit 96kH pcm 5.1 mix and DD 5.1 but no stereo hi-rez, which is just fine with me.
http://audaud.com/2005/06/the-robert...line-dualdisc/
post #5084 of 9847
Here is another site for the Robert Cray dualdisc review
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6462_7-5125589-2.html
post #5085 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Well due to peer pressure I also ordered the Robert Cray Time Will Tell DualDisc. I almost ordered it on Amazon from inetvideo for $11.96 but thought I would see if inetvideo had there own site. Sure enough they do have their own site and the disc is $9.99 with shipping the total was $12.94. So if you are thinking of ordering this disc I would sign up at inetvideo to save a few bucks. Does anyone know if the surround layer is in Hi-Rez (DVD-A)?

http://www.inetvideo.com/the-robert-...-tell-dualdisc

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the link to this site!

Just found a bunch of DualDisc's that where very inexpensive and some that are discounted up to 76% off!!
Saved a bunch over what Amazon would have charged.
All I need is another site to spend money on, and it's all your fault.
post #5086 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp2600 View Post

I ordered from inetvideo, too. Yes, the dvd side of the disc has the same content as the DVD-A. I checked several reviews before I ordered. It has a 24bit 96kH pcm 5.1 mix and DD 5.1 but no stereo hi-rez, which is just fine with me.
http://audaud.com/2005/06/the-robert...line-dualdisc/

warp,

Thanks for confirming the DualDisc has the Hi-Rez mix on the DVD side. If anyone is considering buying the Robert Cray DualDisc I would suggest going for it. I bought Mark Knopfler's Sailing To Philadelphia and Shangri-La DVD-As from Amazon for under $15.00 each. A short time later both titles were OOP and the cost for both are now quite high. In other words grab this one while it is still under $13.00 shipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

Bill,

Thanks for the link to this site!

Just found a bunch of DualDisc's that where very inexpensive and some that are discounted up to 76% off!!
Saved a bunch over what Amazon would have charged.
All I need is another site to spend money on, and it's all your fault.

Jeffrey

My pleasure. Which DualDiscs did you order? I did a search on the inetvideo site for "DualDisc" with only a few titles found. None of them were of any interest to me.

Bill
post #5087 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

... the vocals are weak in the surround mix.
... vocals are center, ...Byther has a great voice, it's smooth, clear, and sounds great, but vocals are recessed, and understated in the mix. It takes some effort to make out the lyrics...

^Try bumping up the CC trim 1-2dB in your processor when listening to that disc. Just remember to turn it back down afterwards.

I find some mixes need a little "doctoring".
post #5088 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

warp,

Thanks for confirming the DualDisc has the Hi-Rez mix on the DVD side. If anyone is considering buying the Robert Cray DualDisc I would suggest going for it. I bought Mark Knopfler's Sailing To Philadelphia and Shangri-La DVD-As from Amazon for under $15.00 each. A short time later both titles were OOP and the cost for both are now quite high. In other words grab this one while it is still under $13.00 shipped.



Jeffrey

My pleasure. Which DualDiscs did you order? I did a search on the inetvideo site for "DualDisc" with only a few titles found. None of them were of any interest to me.

Bill

My first search produced the same results as you, almost nothing.
After that I clicked on music, reentered dualdisc and got 7 pages of titles.
I ordered :
The Church - Forget Yourself - (DualDisc)
Gretchen Wilson - All Jacked Up - (DualDisc)
Eddie Money - Shakin' With the Money Man (DualDisc)
David Gray - Life In Slow Motion (DualDisc)
Bob Marley and the Wailers - The Best of the Early Years (DualDisc)
Ian Gillan - Gillan's Inn - (DualDisc)
Jane Monheit - Never Never Land (DualDisc)
Blues Traveller - Truth Be Told (DualDisc)
post #5089 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

Bill,

Thanks for the link to this site!

Just found a bunch of DualDisc's that where very inexpensive and some that are discounted up to 76% off!!
Saved a bunch over what Amazon would have charged.
All I need is another site to spend money on, and it's all your fault.

I googled inetvideo and one of the phrases offered by google was "inetvideo coupon." I didn'tt look at all of the hits, but I did click on this one that looks like it has relevant and current discount codes.
post #5090 of 9847
Mike Oldfield: Ommadawn SHM-SACD by Universal Japan
Will be a nice addition to Tubular Bells.
post #5091 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

My first search produced the same results as you, almost nothing.
After that I clicked on music, reentered dualdisc and got 7 pages of titles.
I ordered :
The Church - Forget Yourself - (DualDisc)
Gretchen Wilson - All Jacked Up - (DualDisc)
Eddie Money - Shakin' With the Money Man (DualDisc)
David Gray - Life In Slow Motion (DualDisc)
Bob Marley and the Wailers - The Best of the Early Years (DualDisc)
Ian Gillan - Gillan's Inn - (DualDisc)
Jane Monheit - Never Never Land (DualDisc)
Blues Traveller - Truth Be Told (DualDisc)

And you passed on the Jessica Simpson album ?
post #5092 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

And you passed on the Jessica Simpson album ?

Dam, I knew I missed something.

That one is right up there with Ricky Martin.
post #5093 of 9847
Slow day around here...see what I can do.

Picked up a slightly used copy of Miles Davis - Round About Midnight - Single Layer Stereo SACD

EDIT: Found some Jazz I really like...Hank Mobley, both Analogue Productions
No Room For Squares (Herbie Hancock on the piano)
A Caddy for Daddy
post #5094 of 9847
Just added these titles to my collection :
T. REX - Electric Warrior - Dual Layer - M-CH SACD
Toys In the Attic - Aerosmith - M-CH SACD
post #5095 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Slow day around here...see what I can do.

it's been a slow year so far for me........... i think i've hit critical mass for buying hi-rez surround. it's a shame the population is so small
post #5096 of 9847
Any of you guys have this SACD ? O'JAYS Ship Ahoy ? I been looking for a while now .

Thanks Mark
post #5097 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

EDIT: Found some Jazz I really like...Hank Mobley, both Analogue Productions
No Room For Squares (Herbie Hancock on the piano)
A Caddy for Daddy

Martin,

Let us know what you think of these two SACDs when you get a chance. I do not have any Hank Mobley SACDs but I have a few on my wish list. I think I'm going to start a list of Analogue Production SACDs that look interesting and buy 3-4 a month to keep my SACD stash fund in the black. Tops on the list is Hoodoo Man Blues and Bill Evans' Moonbeams.

Bill
post #5098 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwknuf6 View Post

Any of you guys have this SACD ? O'JAYS Ship Ahoy ? I been looking for a while now .

Thanks Mark

Mark,

I think this title is very rare and goes for big bucks when it is offered for sale.

Bill
post #5099 of 9847
A boat load arrived today (11 titles)...listed to 3 and here's a quick take on one listen each.

1. Oscar Peterson - We Get Requests (analogue productions version)...Trio with Ray Brown on Bass and Ed Thigpin on drums playing well known classics. The earlier recommendations regarding both OP and RB are spot on. This is sold as a MCH, but it's actually along the same lines as some of the Nat King Cole stuff...3 ch (L, C, R), each musician getting their own speaker; very convincing. They found the actual 3 track masters (2 Ch stuff is apparently in bad shape). Great disc. Some of the other versions were remastered using original vinal (Japan Verve/Not sure on the SHM-SACD)...not this one. The mixed reviews on SA-CD net may be folks commenting on the wrong version. The AP is good and don't let the numbers fool you.

2. Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else. Good title! Great horns between Cannonball on sax and Miles Davis on trumpet, and you get Art Blakey on drums as a bonus. Again well recorded and remastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray. The first track Autumn Leaves is truly a must hear, turned up. If you like horns, this one is good and will be revisited often.

3. Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson (also with Ray Brown and Ed Thigpin). Another great/easy listen. If you like the Gene Harris stuff, you'll like OP. This guy can play the piano. Ben's not bad on the sax either. Buy with confidence.

3 for 3 tonight on the listens. These are all part of the Analogue Production classic jazz releases (verve/blue note) and highly recommended. If you like brass, you should enjoy 2 and 3 above.
post #5100 of 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

A boat load arrived today (11 titles)...listed to 3 and here's a quick take on one listen each.

1. Oscar Peterson - We Get Requests (analogue productions version)...Trio with Ray Brown on Bass and Ed Thigpin on drums playing well known classics. The earlier recommendations regarding both OP and RB are spot on. This is sold as a MCH, but it's actually along the same lines as some of the Nat King Cole stuff...3 ch (L, C, R), each musician getting their own speaker; very convincing. They found the actual 3 track masters (2 Ch stuff is apparently in bad shape). Great disc. Some of the other versions were remastered using original vinal (Japan Verve/Not sure on the SHM-SACD)...not this one. The mixed reviews on SA-CD net may be folks commenting on the wrong version. The AP is good and don't let the numbers fool you.

2. Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else. Good title! Great horns between Cannonball on sax and Miles Davis on trumpet, and you get Art Blakey on drums as a bonus. Again well recorded and remastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray. The first track Autumn Leaves is truly a must hear, turned up. If you like horns, this one is good and will be revisited often.

3. Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson (also with Ray Brown and Ed Thigpin). Another great/easy listen. If you like the Gene Harris stuff, you'll like OP. This guy can play the piano. Ben's not bad on the sax either. Buy with confidence.

3 for 3 tonight on the listens. These are all part of the Analogue Production classic jazz releases (verve/blue note) and highly recommended. If you like brass, you should enjoy 2 and 3 above.


It's always reassuring when you like what you buy, sometime this hobby can feel like a crap shooting and no matter how many great review you read every one seem to have slightly of a different take, and taste but glad you so far like what you purchased. Nice micro review as well.

Dan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Surround Music Formats
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases?