or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 207

post #6181 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Baraka is also visually stunning


Agreed-Baraka is about as good as it gets.
post #6182 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

I have seen some of the NTSC version and you're right ... WOW!!
Baraka is also visually stunning - same people I think, and they are making a follow-up to Baraka.

Baraka is beautiful, however a clumsily put together political message. As far as video goes, it doesn't get any better. Follow up is Samsara, released in September.
post #6183 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Baraka is beautiful, however a clumsily put together political message. As far as video goes, it doesn't get any better. Follow up is Samsara, released in September.

Really? I hadn't noticed that. I guess my filters are working. wink.gif

Jeff
post #6184 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Really? I hadn't noticed that. I guess my filters are working. wink.gif
Jeff

I put my filters on and enjoy it immensely!
post #6185 of 9822
I don't know how I've never been aware of Steven Wilson. I just picked up his "Get All You Deserve" blu-ray and I am totally blown away, not only by the quality of the audio but by the complexity and creativity of the compositions. I caught glimpses of all my old favorite progressive rock bands but at the same time felt like they weren't songs but more like symphonic compositions.

I guess this means I'm really going to have to become familiar with the Porcupine Tree catalogue next. What do you guys recommend for my foray into the land of the Porcupine Tree? I hear a lot about Fear of a Blank Planet. What else?
post #6186 of 9822
Diana Krall 'From this moment on' from HD Tracks at 96/24. Doesn't seem to have a SACD release so I went with the HD tracks download. I"ve listened to some samples of her new album 'Glad Rag Doll', and I don't think its for me.
post #6187 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

I don't know how I've never been aware of Steven Wilson. I just picked up his "Get All You Deserve" blu-ray and I am totally blown away, not only by the quality of the audio but by the complexity and creativity of the compositions. I caught glimpses of all my old favorite progressive rock bands but at the same time felt like they weren't songs but more like symphonic compositions.
I guess this means I'm really going to have to become familiar with the Porcupine Tree catalogue next. What do you guys recommend for my foray into the land of the Porcupine Tree? I hear a lot about Fear of a Blank Planet. What else?

Sounds like my cup of tea. There are several versions listed on Amazon, and I am wondering which one you have? One has a picture of a case labeled as a DVD with DTS-HD Master Audio. But I didn't think you could put DTS-HD Master Audio on a DVD. Another version is shown as a Blu-ray, and yet another indicates it has CD/DVD/Blu-Ray, which is more expensive. It might be nice, if it has both the Blu-ray and a separate CD, to be able to play it in the car.
post #6188 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

I don't know how I've never been aware of Steven Wilson. I just picked up his "Get All You Deserve" blu-ray and I am totally blown away, not only by the quality of the audio but by the complexity and creativity of the compositions. I caught glimpses of all my old favorite progressive rock bands but at the same time felt like they weren't songs but more like symphonic compositions.
I guess this means I'm really going to have to become familiar with the Porcupine Tree catalogue next. What do you guys recommend for my foray into the land of the Porcupine Tree? I hear a lot about Fear of a Blank Planet. What else?



Edit: I just notice/read that Get all you deserve is a tour album for the Grace for Drowning, so you'll be getting the studio version in GFD blu ray package. But Insurgents is another Steve Wilson solo album if you want to try that one.

Grace for Drowning that's a great one Steve Wilson solo project it's fantastic on Blu Ray, there are two review threads buried around here somewhere on here with a few reviews from the members here on all things Hi Rez music, if all sorts music including SW, and some Porcupine Tree stuff I believe..

I've been meaning to do a few, and give the thread a jolt but I have no time frown.gif


Djoel
Edited by Djoel - 10/13/12 at 7:10am
post #6189 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

I don't know how I've never been aware of Steven Wilson. I just picked up his "Get All You Deserve" blu-ray and I am totally blown away, not only by the quality of the audio but by the complexity and creativity of the compositions. I caught glimpses of all my old favorite progressive rock bands but at the same time felt like they weren't songs but more like symphonic compositions.
I guess this means I'm really going to have to become familiar with the Porcupine Tree catalogue next. What do you guys recommend for my foray into the land of the Porcupine Tree? I hear a lot about Fear of a Blank Planet. What else?

I'd start with:

Anesthetize - BR concert video
Sky Moves Sideways
FoaBP
Up the Downstairs
Lighbulb Sun

Those will give a pretty good cross section of Porcupine Tree. Another worth picking up are the Blackfield CD's (one of the many SW side projects)
post #6190 of 9822
My favorite PT DVD-A is Lightbulb Sun. I believe I have all of the PT DVD-As so I'll have to break out a few real soon. I'm not really into prog rock as much as I used to be but PT's and SW's MCH titles are outstanding smile.gif.

Bill
post #6191 of 9822
My last two additions Shirley Horn "Here's to Life" SACD/MCH 9.99 and Ray Brown Trio "The Red Hot Ray Brown Trio" SACD/Stereo 14.99. I also bought Pat Metheny "The Orchestrion Project" on Bluray, I haven't watched it yet.
post #6192 of 9822
I'm listening to Talk Talk, the coulors of Spring on DVD-A WOW, this album sounded so compress in regular redbook, thou not much action in the surround /but the front stage is nicely open up Marks voice sounds haunting as ever, and in some songs 3 feet from the microphone using a passive mega phone tongue.gif


DJoel
Edited by Djoel - 10/13/12 at 5:38pm
post #6193 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by caupina View Post

My last two additions Shirley Horn "Here's to Life" SACD/MCH 9.99 and Ray Brown Trio "The Red Hot Ray Brown Trio" SACD/Stereo 14.99. I also bought Pat Metheny "The Orchestrion Project" on Bluray, I haven't watched it yet.

caupina,

Nice score on the Ray Brown SACD smile.gif! I paid I believe $50 for a sealed copy last year. I just listened to it the other day and it is an excellent sounding live SACD. Gene Harris' piano playing and of course Ray Brown's bass playing is outstanding. I think you should be enshrined in the SACD buyers Hall of Fame wink.gif. Or at least an Academy Award for "the best buys in a Hi-Rez format" goes to.......... biggrin.gif.

Bill
post #6194 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

caupina,
Nice score on the Ray Brown SACD smile.gif! I paid I believe $50 for a sealed copy last year. I just listened to it the other day and it is an excellent sounding live SACD. Gene Harris' piano playing and of course Ray Brown's bass playing is outstanding. I think you should be enshrined in the SACD buyers Hall of Fame wink.gif. Or at least an Academy Award for "the best buys in a Hi-Rez format" goes to.......... biggrin.gif.
Bill

Thanks Bill, just pure luck and patience. I was more thrilled to find the Shirley Horn SACD though, I only had the regular CD.
post #6195 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by caupina View Post

Thanks Bill, just pure luck and patience. I was more thrilled to find the Shirley Horn SACD though, I only had the regular CD.

I just received my copy of the BluRay for the 25th Anniversay of the Hall of Fame museum and was wondering if anyone else that owns this noticed any video issues with both discs. There is some stuttering and slo mo which I think may be by design but then I wonder because I see a lot of dropouts and pixelization at the same time. This is most noticeable when the camera is panning or the artists are moving left/right and right/left. It is on both of my discs so I don't think it is a disc issue. Wondering if my Oppo BDP 93 is having a problem or if the video is just wanky. The sound is fine - no problems there. Normally if my Oppo has a problem with a BR disc, it is with the sound and menus and not the video. Wondering if I should get another copy from Amazon.
post #6196 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by caupina View Post

My last two additions Shirley Horn "Here's to Life" SACD/MCH.

I'm having problems with this SACD. When I play the MCH layer, player stops at the end of track 9 and it doesn't play anymore confused.gif, I tried the 2CH and CD layer and no problem. I'm using the Sony SCD XA5400ES connected via HDMI to the Denon 3808. I tried the Denon DVD 2930CI connected via Denon link and it plays the MCH layer of both tracks 9 and 10, however it doesn't play track 11. I suspect the issue is with the SACD. Anybody else has had problems with this title????. It's a bummer as I really liked it very much frown.gif.

On another note, I watched the Pat Metheny BR and I liked it both visually and sonically, however it's just awkward watching PM surrounded by all those instruments play on their own, looks like a science fiction movie.
post #6197 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by caupina View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by caupina View Post

My last two additions Shirley Horn "Here's to Life" SACD/MCH.

I'm having problems with this SACD. When I play the MCH layer, player stops at the end of track 9 and it doesn't play anymore confused.gif, I tried the 2CH and CD layer and no problem. I'm using the Sony SCD XA5400ES connected via HDMI to the Denon 3808. I tried the Denon DVD 2930CI connected via Denon link and it plays the MCH layer of both tracks 9 and 10, however it doesn't play track 11. I suspect the issue is with the SACD. Anybody else has had problems with this title????. It's a bummer as I really liked it very much frown.gif.
.

The 2ch and 5.1 DSD files are on the same layer of the disc, CDDA is on a different layer. A flaw in the disc would produce pretty much exactly what you describe. Try a good cleaning.
post #6198 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The 2ch and 5.1 DSD files are on the same layer of the disc, CDDA is on a different layer. A flaw in the disc would produce pretty much exactly what you describe. Try a good cleaning.

Thanks rdgrimes, I think you're right. Do you know if the lens "reads" the disc from the center towards the edge of the disc??? I looked at the disc and I can notice some spots as if the layer is not perfectly flat close the the outer edge of the disc which would make sense as the problem is on the last 2 tracks. I'm confused though if both 2.0 and 5.1 DSD files are on the same layer, why the 2.0 file plays perfectly???.
post #6199 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by caupina View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The 2ch and 5.1 DSD files are on the same layer of the disc, CDDA is on a different layer. A flaw in the disc would produce pretty much exactly what you describe. Try a good cleaning.

Thanks rdgrimes, I think you're right. Do you know if the lens "reads" the disc from the center towards the edge of the disc??? I looked at the disc and I can notice some spots as if the layer is not perfectly flat close the the outer edge of the disc which would make sense as the problem is on the last 2 tracks. I'm confused though if both 2.0 and 5.1 DSD files are on the same layer, why the 2.0 file plays perfectly???.

All discs read from the inside to the outside. As I said, the 2-ch and 5.1-ch files are all on the same layer, apparently the 2-ch files are located first. Since no PC drive can read SACD, nobody really knows much about how they are authored. If you can see a defect, the disc is bad.
post #6200 of 9822
Thanks again....well I'll keep it, for just 9.99 I can't complain.
post #6201 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

All discs read from the inside to the outside. As I said, the 2-ch and 5.1-ch files are all on the same layer, apparently the 2-ch files are located first. Since no PC drive can read SACD, nobody really knows much about how they are authored. If you can see a defect, the disc is bad.

That's true. But some PS3's can read them, and some of those PS3's can be modded to rip SACD to ISO. From there, it is possible to better understand authoring. Anyway, I'd inspect closely for a physical flaw. Absent that, a modded PS3 might be able to produce a playable version.
post #6202 of 9822
I just received the Crossing SACD by David Elias and it is an excellent sounding 5.1 SACD smile.gif. The stereo and surround layers were recorded with a eight track Sonoma DSD recorder. The music kind of reminds me a bit of Jack Johnson. This SACD is still available on Amazon for about $45 or direct from cdbaby for a few bucks less. Not cheap but well worth the cost IMO.

Bill
post #6203 of 9822
Thanks for heads up Bill, I've been interested in this one since reading about either here or SHF.


Dan
post #6204 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Thanks for heads up Bill, I've been interested in this one since reading about either here or SHF.
Dan

Hey Dan,

My pleasure smile.gif. I finished listening to it this morning. The surround mix is very aggressive in a good way. Many different instruments dobro, harp, accordian, mandolin and others which are mostly acoustic. David's voice is very subdued but clear in this multi layered recording. I'm going to try to find other similar recordings where they were recorded direct to DSD as the Crossing was.

Right now I'm playing Mighty Sam McClain's Blues for the Soul SACD. This is an excellent sounding title that was recorded live direct to two track DSD. I can't believe how expensive this disc is now eek.gif. I think I paid under $10 for this SACD at Newbury Comics last year.

Bill
Edited by Bill Mac - 10/16/12 at 5:51am
post #6205 of 9822
This is good news for me, as I love this album! http://www.musicdirect.com/p-99305-counting-crows-august-and-everything-after-hybrid-sacd.aspx
Also want to thank all of you who participate in this forum. I have been turned on to music I would never have considered otherwise!
post #6206 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Hey Dan,
My pleasure smile.gif. I finished listening to it this morning. The surround mix is very aggressive in a good way. Many different instruments dobro, harp, accordian, mandolin and others which are mostly acoustic. David's voice is very subdued but clear in this multi layered recording. I'm going to try to find other similar recordings where they were recorded direct to DSD as the Crossing was.
Right now I'm playing Mighty Sam McClain's Blues for the Soul SACD. This is an excellent sounding title that was recorded live direct to two track DSD. I can't believe how expensive this disc is now eek.gif. I think I paid under $10 for this SACD at Newbury Comics last year.
Bill
Thanks Bill now you got me all salivating, as you said all the major key words to start me Jonezing for some great 5.1 tunes which sounds like Jack Johnson cool vibes.

Yeah I recall getting that same album about 12 bucks or so, good for us biggrin.gif Not so good for the folks who would like to jump on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andwhatnot View Post

This is good news for me, as I love this album! http://www.musicdirect.com/p-99305-counting-crows-august-and-everything-after-hybrid-sacd.aspx
Also want to thank all of you who participate in this forum. I have been turned on to music I would never have considered otherwise!

I recall hearing part of this album in a Audio Show in vinyl, and I told myself I would get it, never did...So glad I wait thanks

Welcome aboard, and keep a thigh hold on your wallet smile.gif

Dan
post #6207 of 9822
Mighty Sam McClain has a new SACD Give It Up To Love that is available from elusivedisc for $19.99. He also has another SACD called Soul Survivor which I have and it sounds excellent.
post #6208 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Mighty Sam McClain has a new SACD Give It Up To Love that is available from elusivedisc for $19.99. He also has another SACD called Soul Survivor which I have and it sounds excellent.

Odd thing, I thought I had SAm's Soul Survivor, it's not even in my wish list...very strange, I gotta go look at my Amazon account and see what's going on. Give it Up to Love should be great, at a reasonable price.

Thanks again

Dan
post #6209 of 9822
Sorry if this has been Posted, this before, but eek.gif


Djoel
Edited by Djoel - 10/16/12 at 5:03pm
post #6210 of 9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Sorry if this has been Posted, this before, but eek.gif
Djoel

Hey Dan,

Those Led Zep discs look to be killer smile.gif. Try importcds as the last time I looked their prices were a bit lower than Amazons.

I just bought:

Elton John - Elton John SACD
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection SACD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Surround Music Formats
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases?