or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 235

post #7021 of 9848
Just bought:

Allison Moorer - Show MCH SACD

I had never heard of Allison Moorer before but the reviews I have read for this SACD are excellent. So I figured I'd give it a try smile.gif.

Bill
post #7022 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Just bought:

Allison Moorer - Show MCH SACD

I had never heard of Allison Moorer before but the reviews I have read for this SACD are excellent. So I figured I'd give it a try smile.gif Bill


I've been after this one as well Bill, I have the feeling her music is similar to Alison Krauss well same type smooth country . Keep us posted.

I'll PM you later today.

Dan
post #7023 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I've been after this one as well Bill, I have the feeling her music is similar to Alison Krauss well same type smooth country . Keep us posted.

I'll PM you later today.

Dan

Hey Dan,

I have the same thoughts that this one will sound similar to the AK SACDs smile.gif. I'll definitely post my thoughts when it arrives.

Bill
post #7024 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

Does anyone have this Frank Zappa DVDA and if so would you please comment on the SQ and music?

Haloween SQ is very nice for an older live recording. Music is great if Zappa fan or any fan of guitar jamming. Since this is mostly a surround thread, although you didn't ask specifically, the bad news is the 5.1 mix sucks as most live 5.1 mixes do...

There is a Quad DVD Audio release of various Zappa stuff called QuAUDIOPHILIAc that is great. The mix is very well done. Only negetive is it's not a full studio release, it's more of a sprinkle of all different stuff musically...
post #7025 of 9848
Depeche Mode "Violator" CD/DVD DTS/DD 5.1. used for just 13.99. I was under the impression it was a DVD-A, anyway it still sounds good.

I also bought a Bluray by Dolby Laboratories, "The Sound of High Definition II", for just 2.99. It contains some HD videos of BR already issued such as Chris Botti, Dave Mattews, The Police among others but I fell in love with Annekei's "100 sq ft" song....I've played it like 10 times already at full blast on Dolby TruHD eek.gif, such a beautiful voice and song, I just got hooked unfortunately there's no official release, at least I couldn't find any on the web so I just have to hold on to this BR for the time being frown.gif. I'll look for some her CDs next time I"m shopping....any body has heard of her before????
post #7026 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by caupina View Post

Depeche Mode "Violator" CD/DVD DTS/DD 5.1. used for just 13.99. I was under the impression it was a DVD-A, anyway it still sounds good.

I also bought a Bluray by Dolby Laboratories, "The Sound of High Definition II", for just 2.99. It contains some HD videos of BR already issued such as Chris Botti, Dave Mattews, The Police among others but I fell in love with Annekei's "100 sq ft" song....I've played it like 10 times already at full blast on Dolby TruHD eek.gif, such a beautiful voice and song, I just got hooked unfortunately there's no official release, at least I couldn't find any on the web so I just have to hold on to this BR for the time being frown.gif. I'll look for some her CDs next time I"m shopping....any body has heard of her before????

Only the UK Depeche Mode releases had Hybrid SACDs. No DVD-As as far as I know.

http://www.annekei.com

Annekei on Amazon
post #7027 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

Only the UK Depeche Mode releases had Hybrid SACDs. No DVD-As as far as I know.

http://www.annekei.com

You're right, I just realized that after checking the web.....and thanks for the link, I just visited her FB page and I'm about to order some of her CDs.
post #7028 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Hey Dan,

I have the same thoughts that this one will sound similar to the AK SACDs smile.gif. I'll definitely post my thoughts when it arrives.

Bill
Allison is Shelby Lynne's sister and married to Steve Earle. She is more folkie than AK maybe more like Shawn Colvin.
post #7029 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

Haloween SQ is very nice for an older live recording. Music is great if Zappa fan or any fan of guitar jamming. Since this is mostly a surround thread, although you didn't ask specifically, the bad news is the 5.1 mix sucks as most live 5.1 mixes do...

There is a Quad DVD Audio release of various Zappa stuff called QuAUDIOPHILIAc that is great. The mix is very well done. Only negetive is it's not a full studio release, it's more of a sprinkle of all different stuff musically...

Thanks.
post #7030 of 9848
RPWL - World Through My Eyes - SACD Hybrid

This is a great surround mix - Pink Floyd worthy. Only disappointment is that "New Stars" is actually only the first fives minutes instead of either the 7 minutes shown on the back of the case - or the full 12+ minutes as it appears on the second disc of Start The Fire. I can only think this must have been a teaser for an upcoming future planned release... or maybe they laid off their surround sound group before they could finish the mix?

Over $100 new on Amazon, but I was able to find a used copy for a very reasonable price (sorry it was the last one they had).

Got notice that The Raven shipped from Burning Shed yesterday - so excited for that to show up - and great news that Tull has two more releases coming including Passion Play!!! Also - if you are so inclined - please join me in a asking Sony Columbia to release Al Kooper's Super Session. I sent them a note today. http://hub.sonymusic.com/about/feedback.php

Tree in Boring
post #7031 of 9848
Just ordered a couple of blu-ray a discs...The Rolling Stones - Grrr from Amazon UK (50 greatest hits in only 2.0...but the convienience of one disc was too good to pass up) and after all the rave reviews on here, PB - Modern Cool

I sure hope the blu-ray format will bring more MCH/Hi-Res listeners...more listeners will hopefully equate to more releases down the road.
post #7032 of 9848
Tidbit for the day...views of this thread have now exceeded 450,000 views!
post #7033 of 9848
Just ordered the two new AF SACD releases (2.0):

Yes: Close to the Edge
Rush: Counterparts
post #7034 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Just ordered the two new AF SACD releases (2.0):

Yes: Close to the Edge
Rush: Counterparts

Did you get a ship date on CTTE? I've had mine on pre-order since early December.
post #7035 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Did you get a ship date on CTTE? I've had mine on pre-order since early December.

Delivery est = 5 Mar for both (Amazon - Pre-order). I know some AF subscription members have already received the Yes title (good initial reviews/typical for S Hoffman remasters), unsure about initial release of the Rush title. Usually save a few dollars waiting on Amazon release.

Here's a link to the SH tread regarding releases/initial thoughts.
post #7036 of 9848
Just purchased Joni Mitchell's 'Ladies of the Canyon', her 1970 album. It was a new release today in hi-rez on hdtracks.
post #7037 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Delivery est = 5 Mar for both (Amazon - Pre-order). I know some AF subscription members have already received the Yes title (good initial reviews/typical for S Hoffman remasters), unsure about initial release of the Rush title. Usually save a few dollars waiting on Amazon release.

Here's a link to the SH tread regarding releases/initial thoughts.

Thanks for the link. I was monitoring that thread for a while be haven't looked at it since some of the AF priority members received their copies. Sounds like another SH hit! Can't wait.
post #7038 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

I know some AF subscription members have already received the Yes title (good initial reviews/typical for S Hoffman remasters), unsure about initial release of the Rush title.

Have both the Yes and Rush SACDs at home for a couple of days (both SACDs made in Austria). Unfortunately, don't have time to listen to them yet. Sigh rolleyes.gif.
post #7039 of 9848
Just bought:

Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto - Getz Gilberto Verve SACD

The Who - Quadrophenia SHM-SACD

I have been looking to get Quadrophenia for quite awhile but the prices were always close to $60. I grabbed one of ebay from blowitoutahere for $51.84 shipped. I'm not big on the cost of SHM-SACDs but this title might become OOP in the near future.

Bill
post #7040 of 9848
Bill, FWIW that Quadrophenia is the best version out there, imo.

Unsure if you like earlier Who but the SHM-SACD of Sell Out is stellar.
post #7041 of 9848
The Doors PERCEPTION box set DVDA.

I bought this a few years ago but it sounded bad and I just recently learned there were chinese versions or knockoffs of this and those must have been the copies that landed in my house instead of the authentic version. So, I found a good used copy locally and picked it up. I was going to just buy the new SACD releases from Acoustic Sounds but I opted for the original dvda since reading the following about the SACD release.

From the Acoustic Sounds website:

"The surround sound program on the Doors SACDs comes from the original 96K, 24-bit files mixed and mastered by Bruce Botnick for the DVD Audio Doors/Perception release. Those mixes were made from the original one-inch, eight track, 15 i.p.s. analog master tapes. For the SACDs, the mixes were then up-sampled without filters to DSD using the Weiss Saracon format converter and authored by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center."

I'm sure they did it right - just gives me pause when they talk about converting to DSD based on my experience in trying to do so.
post #7042 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Bill, FWIW that Quadrophenia is the best version out there, imo.

Unsure if you like earlier Who but the SHM-SACD of Sell Out is stellar.

Have you had a chance to compair to the MFSL version?...I have that, not the SHM, and have been hesitantient to pull the trigger if we are just splitting hairs. Would assume the bass would be tighter (tends to be the case for the SACDs). The MFSL is really good to my ears.
post #7043 of 9848
Chief, not personally but my friend has the MFSL and unfortunately forgot to bring it over for a comparison but he said that the SHM sounded bigger and cleaner to him than the MFSL.
Take that FWIW as audio memory is very unreliable imo.

We listened to a Japanese release, the US release and the Polydor W. German release.
The SHM was better imo, than all of the above.
It wasn't a stunning difference but it was easy to hear which is my baseline for "worth it".

I can't speak for them but the opinion on the Hoffman forum was that the SHM was superior to the MFSL.
I didn't have a digital version of Quadrophenia so I justified it by that and the fact that it's a double album for the same price as a single.

To perhaps give you a baseline on my "ear", I could not tell any discernible difference between the Steve Hoffman mastered Who's Next cd and the SHM-SACD.
That was on my home theater system, which if I may say so, is pretty damn good.
However I've just put together a 2-channel system and I should compare on that as the source player and the speakers are superior to my theater system.
The room however is not.

IMO, this and Who's Next are not audiophile level recordings but there's nothing to be done about that until a re-master\re-mix is done.
There is the recent deluxe Quadrophenia with 8, I believe, surround mixes but I haven't heard that either.
Edited by Milt99 - 2/23/13 at 12:37pm
post #7044 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Bill, FWIW that Quadrophenia is the best version out there, imo.

Unsure if you like earlier Who but the SHM-SACD of Sell Out is stellar.

Hey Milt,

I have read that the SHM-SACD and the MFSL both sound excellent. The cost of the SHM-SACD was lower than any price I have seen for the MFSL. I have the Who's Next SHM-SACD but not Sell Out. I'll have to check that one out.

Bill
post #7045 of 9848
Just received a notice from importcds that Close to the Edge has finally shipped. Hooray!!
post #7046 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Just received a notice from importcds that Close to the Edge has finally shipped. Hooray!!

Mine shipped today as well smile.gif.

Bill
post #7047 of 9848
Yeah Bill, the MFSL Quad is astronomical.
Great to hear you had success with importcds.
Mine's coming from Amazon, delivery 3/5.
Edited by Milt99 - 2/23/13 at 9:24pm
post #7048 of 9848
Still searching out the Living Stereo releases.
These are really nice recordings\performances.
Picked up the Ravel Bolero today. Excellent.
The Copland Billy the Kid\Rodeo\Grofe Grand Canyon Suite is fantastic.

Not hi-res or surround but the Fleet Foxes Helplessness Blues local Seattle band is, imo, outstanding from start to finish.
Cathedral sound.
Listen to the samples.
post #7049 of 9848
Eagles Farewell on bluray (preorder)

Woodstock bluray (peace man)
post #7050 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Chief, not personally but my friend has the MFSL and unfortunately forgot to bring it over for a comparison but he said that the SHM sounded bigger and cleaner to him than the MFSL.
Take that FWIW as audio memory is very unreliable imo.

We listened to a Japanese release, the US release and the Polydor W. German release.
The SHM was better imo, than all of the above.
It wasn't a stunning difference but it was easy to hear which is my baseline for "worth it".

I can't speak for them but the opinion on the Hoffman forum was that the SHM was superior to the MFSL.
I didn't have a digital version of Quadrophenia so I justified it by that and the fact that it's a double album for the same price as a single.

To perhaps give you a baseline on my "ear", I could not tell any discernible difference between the Steve Hoffman mastered Who's Next cd and the SHM-SACD.
That was on my home theater system, which if I may say so, is pretty damn good.
However I've just put together a 2-channel system and I should compare on that as the source player and the speakers are superior to my theater system.
The room however is not.

IMO, this and Who's Next are not audiophile level recordings but there's nothing to be done about that until a re-master\re-mix is done.
There is the recent deluxe Quadrophenia with 8, I believe, surround mixes but I haven't heard that either.

Milt,

Maybe I should sell the MFSL and get the SHM :-). Thanks for the detailed feedback.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Surround Music Formats
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases?