or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 265

post #7921 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrowe125 View Post

Man, you weren't kidding- finally got to listen to it yesterday, and it sounded fantastic. And the first 2 songs definitely fit my mood after going to see Before Midnight earlier in the day

I'm glad you are enjoying the Sara K SACD smile.gif.

Bill
post #7922 of 9848
Just bought:

Rolling Stones: Tattoo You SHM-SACD

This is one of my favorite Stones albums. I saw the Stones on this tour at the Hartford Civic center in 1981. I enjoyed the show very much but I kept looking up as I was concerned about the roof. The roof of the Civic Center collapsed in 1978 so I was a bit nervous. Maybe it was my altered state that heightened that concern eek.gif.

Bill
post #7923 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Just bought:

Rolling Stones: Tattoo You SHM-SACD

This is one of my favorite Stones albums. I saw the Stones on this tour at the Hartford Civic center in 1981. I enjoyed the show very much but I kept looking up as I was concerned about the roof. The roof of the Civic Center collapsed in 1978 so I was a bit nervous. Maybe it was my altered state that heightened that concern eek.gif.

Bill

Looking forward to your review on the sonics for this one. Also one of my favorite Rolling Stones albums, and I have none on any hi-rez format. This could be another dark alley for me and my wallet!
post #7924 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Just bought:

Rolling Stones: Tattoo You SHM-SACD

This is one of my favorite Stones albums. I saw the Stones on this tour at the Hartford Civic center in 1981. I enjoyed the show very much but I kept looking up as I was concerned about the roof. The roof of the Civic Center collapsed in 1978 so I was a bit nervous. Maybe it was my altered state that heightened that concern eek.gif.

Bill

i'm also curious to hear your impressions of this one. i like tattoo you quite a bit but...........to me, start me up and waiting on a friend are the worst sounding tracks on the grrrrr blu ray. start me up is known to have been recorded in a bathroom and it has that bathroom reverb sound to it which i am not fond of. maybe it's a personal thing with me. hopefully the shm-sacd sounds good.
post #7925 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Just bought:

Rolling Stones: Tattoo You SHM-SACD

This is one of my favorite Stones albums. I saw the Stones on this tour at the Hartford Civic center in 1981. I enjoyed the show very much but I kept looking up as I was concerned about the roof. The roof of the Civic Center collapsed in 1978 so I was a bit nervous. Maybe it was my altered state that heightened that concern eek.gif.

Bill

Paranoinia, big distroy-a.

None of the Stones SACDs or CDs for that matter will reach "reference" quality. I have most of the Stones SHM-SACDs and this one is above average for their releases. Suspect this is the best digital version available (best I've heard)...3 "Slave"; 4. "Little T&A" 5. "Black Limousine" and most of side 2 ...love 10. "No Use in Crying"!
post #7926 of 9848
Have you heard the"Sympathy For The Devil - The Neptune Remixes?" There are stereo and 5.1 versions of each of the seven mixes. I don't have any of the Rolling Stones SACD's (and won't be buying any either) but I would be very interested in hearing comments from anyone who can compare the remixes to the "remastered" stereo titles.

Jeff
post #7927 of 9848
ok well thanks a lot bill. you just caused me to spend $52 rolleyes.gif. i had been wanting to buy the shm-sacd of sticky fingers a while back but resisted somehow. so after doing some more review reading and such, i just pulled the trigger. i've been on a serious stones kick lately and while lsitening to the grrrr blu ray has been great, i find myself wishing for more of the sticky fingers tunes since it's my favorite stones album. now for the waiting.....
post #7928 of 9848
^^

I really think Bill gets a small fee from Sony and Phillips for every SACD sold.

Jeff
post #7929 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

^^

I really think Bill gets a small fee from Sony and Phillips for every SACD sold.

Jeff

Jeff,

I wish, I'd do it for free product wink.gif.

Bill
post #7930 of 9848
Just got Aimme Mann "Bachelor No 2" MSFL SACD-Stereo
Joni Mitchell "Both Sides Now" DVD- A...this one is on the way.
post #7931 of 9848
Just bought:

Steely Dan - Aja SHM-SACD

Cream - Wheels of Fire SHM-SACD

Bill
post #7932 of 9848
Just bought:

Di Meola/McLaughlin/DeLucia - Passion, Grace & Fire SACD

I've had this SACD on my wish list for quite awhile. It is the studio successor to the excellent sounding Friday Night in San Francisco. I thought this SACD was OOP but it is now available from Amazon and a few other online dealers.

Bill
post #7933 of 9848
I noticed in my Music Direct catalog that Patricia Barber's lates album, Smash, is being released in MFSL SACD. It's up for preorder. I bought the HD Tracks release 96/24 release when it came out and liked it. I may spring for the disc too, not sure, but at least wanted to let the community know.
post #7934 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Just bought:

Steely Dan - Aja SHM-SACD

Cream - Wheels of Fire SHM-SACD

Bill
Bill, you're hopeless.
More SHM-SACDs?
I thought like me, you'd sworn off them, until another intriguing one comes along.
post #7935 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Bill, you're hopeless.
More SHM-SACDs?
I thought like me, you'd sworn off them, until another intriguing one comes along.

Milt,

I believe you are correct smile.gif. I have sworn off SHM-SACDs especially at their very high list prices. But when an excellent deal presents itself I just can't resist wink.gif.

Bill
post #7936 of 9848
SACD like oxygen. You get too much, it makes you high. Not enough and you're going to die.
post #7937 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by caupina View Post

Just got Aimme Mann "Bachelor No 2" MSFL SACD-Stereo
Joni Mitchell "Both Sides Now" DVD- A...this one is on the way.
Have had the Aimee Mann SACD for about 8 years now. It's really good- one of my favorites
post #7938 of 9848
Aimee's follow up to Bachelor #2, Lost in Space SACD is worth picking up too, but then I've been a fan since Til Tuesday and have all her music.
post #7939 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Just bought:

Steely Dan - Aja SHM-SACD

Cream - Wheels of Fire SHM-SACD

Bill
Looking forward to your impressions of Aja. Love it on vinyl haven't heard a redbook cd version that I like nearly as much. Also interested in your take on Tattoo You. Thanks. Ace. P.S. That's quite a library you've built up. Do you listen to DVD-A too or just SACD?
post #7940 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

SACD like oxygen. You get too much, it makes you high. Not enough and you're going to die.
You left out "Scuse me while I kiss the sky" biggrin.gif
post #7941 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

You left out "Scuse me while I kiss the sky" biggrin.gif
Different era, different chemistry. smile.gif
post #7942 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

Quote:
Looking forward to your impressions of Aja. Love it on vinyl haven't heard a redbook cd version that I like nearly as much. Also interested in your take on Tattoo You. Thanks. Ace.

ace,

I had the Aja SHM-SACD before and sold it as I felt it wasn't that much of a SQ improvement over several RBCD versions I have. But I found a copy of the Aja SHM-SACD at a great price so I couldn't pass it up. I'll post my thoughts on Tattoo You when I get a chance to give it a good listen. Now that the good weather is here I spend very little time indoors listening to music smile.gif.

Quote:
P.S. That's quite a library you've built up. Do you listen to DVD-A too or just SACD?

Thanks smile.gif. I have a number of DVD-As as well. With DVD-A just about being a dead format there are many more SACDs to chose from.

Bill
post #7943 of 9848
Porcupine Tree - The Incident

from burningshed.com
post #7944 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Different era, different chemistry. smile.gif
Well yeah but it rhymes
post #7945 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Thanks smile.gif. I have a number of DVD-As as well. With DVD-A just about being a dead format there are many more SACDs to chose from.

Bill
Looks like I'll stick with my vinyl Aja. Whenever you get around to Tatto You is fine by me, my wallet and I are in no hurry. The only reason I asked about DVD-A is because there are a lot of good sounding classical discs out there from AIX records and the Beethoven series that Daniel Barenboim did are outstanding.
post #7946 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

Looks like I'll stick with my vinyl Aja. Whenever you get around to Tatto You is fine by me, my wallet and I are in no hurry. The only reason I asked about DVD-A is because there are a lot of good sounding classical discs out there from AIX records and the Beethoven series that Daniel Barenboim did are outstanding.

I would say that is a good bet sticking with your vinyl version of Aja. I should have Tattoo You this week so I can post my impressions when I get a chance. In all honesty unless one can get any of the SHM-SACDs for under $40 I would suggest passing on them. That is unless it is a title you really want on SACD and the reviews are very positive. The last SHM-SACD I paid over $40 was Quadrophenia. It is a SHM-SACD title that is very well reviewed and I thought I would grab it before it went OOP. As far a disc formats I'm not down on any of them. If it is great music and has great SQ (stereo or multichannel) it doesn't matter to me what digital format it is. That is the beauty of owning a universal player smile.gif.

Bill
post #7947 of 9848
Just left a PM "over there" for 10cc - The Original Soundtrack. This one has been on my wish list for a while.
post #7948 of 9848
I'm here 45 minutes trying to catch up, and all I'm doing is filling up my Amazon, Elusive Carts like a mad musical conductor, I see the usual suspects are still chipping away at some good music ..Btw what's the deal with Foreigner 4, what's the comparison between the older one and this cheaper version now out..Or is it finally making it's SACD premier from DVD-A? Been gunning for it for some time until recently but it was a little too much than I wanted to spend.


Djoel
post #7949 of 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I'm here 45 minutes trying to catch up, and all I'm doing is filling up my Amazon, Elusive Carts like a mad musical conductor, I see the usual suspects are still chipping away at some good music ..Btw what's the deal with Foreigner 4, what's the comparison between the older one and this cheaper version now out..Or is it finally making it's SACD premier from DVD-A? Been gunning for it for some time until recently but it was a little too much than I wanted to spend.


Djoel

Hey Dan,

Welcome back smile.gif! Good to see you have your priorities right in that you are loading up on Hi-Rez music biggrin.gif. You have a PM.

Bill
post #7950 of 9848
I read that Dire Straits' 'Brothers in arms' (and so many other albums) really shine on SACD. I do not own a SACD compatible player, but I do own an Olive 04HD that can play high res files. Are these SACD's also downloadable as high res files (e.g. flac)? I cannot find most albums on sites like hdtracks or linn.com. Any suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Surround Music Formats
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases?