or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 290

post #8671 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

I had forgotten about this. The release date kept getting pushed downstream by amazon. I guess they formally released it Oct 1 and it showed up in my mail yesterday. I listened to a couple of cuts and enjoyed it. I'll listen to the rest today.

Is this Classic Rock? I don't think I'm familiar with these guys.

Enjoy

Djoel
post #8672 of 9850

post #8673 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion View Post



Have you listened to America? Your review? Thanks.
post #8674 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

It's a good question and I dunno as I only have the CD version. 

I think you're referring to an item that Chesky has  listed under DVDA with no description but it's called CHDVD195. Link here:
http://www.chesky.com/dvd-audio.html
And there's a link at the bottom of that page to make an email inquiry if you like.

I don't know if it is the same product as this item elusive disc has, listed as a DVD with 24/96 audio listed as CHDA195:
http://www.elusivedisc.com/SARA-K-NO-COVER-24_96-DVD/productinfo/CHDA195/

I'm gonna go ahead and order one of the HiRes DVD off Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/6305475997/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

It looks to me like they are all the same. I've only looked at the album listed at chesk.com

If you think about please respond back when you get the disc.

Thanks and happy listening.
post #8675 of 9850
Just bought:

Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra Music for Strings Percussion / Reiner

I've been slowly buying Living Stereo classical SACDs as they are normally quite inexpensive. I've yet to get into classical but I'm not getting any younger so I might embrace the genre someday smile.gif.

Bill
post #8676 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion View Post





I've been thinking about that Sarah McLachlan for some time, let us know what you think..

Djoel
post #8677 of 9850
There is more on the AMERICA SACD over on the Steve Hoffman forum here. It sells for under $20 on Amazon. I have 2 or 3 vinyl releases of this album so I am wondering how this SACD sounds in comparison.
post #8678 of 9850

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post

Do you have the Chesky - Sarah K 'No Cover' DVD-A?
I was wondering if the DVD-A contains 'a' video or does it have the entire show in video along with the hi-rez audio? 

 

Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post
 

It's a good question and I dunno as I only have the CD version. 

 

I think you're referring to an item that Chesky has  listed under DVDA with no description but it's called CHDVD195. Link here:

http://www.chesky.com/dvd-audio.html

And there's a link at the bottom of that page to make an email inquiry if you like.

 

I don't know if it is the same product as this item elusive disc has, listed as a DVD with 24/96 audio listed as CHDA195:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/SARA-K-NO-COVER-24_96-DVD/productinfo/CHDA195/

 

I'm gonna go ahead and order one of the HiRes DVD off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/6305475997/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Received today off Amazon= CHDVD195. It is a stereo 24/96 live acoustic performance DVD

(NOT a DVD-A).

 

As a fan, I will say this is a delightful performance well worth the modest price, with Sara at her bluesiest and in fine voice.  The SQ is quite clear and detailed, capturing the nuanced playing of the talented Hui Cox on several unique stringed instruments. The video is rather low quality but it is more than sufficient to clearly highlight Sara's interesting playing style on her unique 4 string guitar and for one to experience this soulful performance from front row center. 

 

I'm a bit disappointed with Chesky's EQ and mix-at times upright bass and drums can be a bit boomy, and vocals a bit thin. This is really not demo quality, other than perhaps Tecalote Eyes- alone it's worth the price of admission, as fine a female singer-songwriter-accompanying-herself-on-guitar performed live piece as I've heard.

 

I cannot say if CHDA 195 is a DVDA but if it is, I'd hope that the mixing and mastering is superior to this DVD.  That might make it worth the trade-off of losing out on "full motion video".

post #8679 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Is this Classic Rock? I don't think I'm familiar with these guys.

Enjoy

Djoel

Yea, more classic country rock. If you like CSNY or America, you'd probably like Poco.
post #8680 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post

Have you listened to America? Your review? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I've been thinking about that Sarah McLachlan for some time, let us know what you think.

I won't have access to my SACD player until, possibly, later on this month. Sorry about that as I'm in the process of moving. I received the America / Sarah McLachlan SACDs as a subscriber to Audio Fidelity CD club.
post #8681 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View PostNot mine. And I am still acquiring new ones at the rate of more than a disc a day!

a disk a day, I love it do you have a list of the best?

 

My recent acquisition

 

Product Details
Double & Triple Concertos by Rachel Podger, Brecon Baroque and Johann Sebastian Bach (2013) - Import
post #8682 of 9850
I just finished listening to Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and now I'm listening to Selling England By The Pound. I have to say these are two excellent sounding 5.1 SACDs smile.gif! I bought my copy of the LLDOB SACD from Steve and it is mint, thanks again! Elusive Disc still has the Selling England By The Pound SACD/DVD (PAL) in stock for $29.99. If anyone is a Genesis fan I'd suggest grabbing this one and a few of the other Genesis SACDs that Elusive Disc has in stock.

Bill
post #8683 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

Yea, more classic country rock. If you like CSNY or America, you'd probably like Poco.

Cool, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion View Post


I won't have access to my SACD player until, possibly, later on this month. Sorry about that as I'm in the process of moving. I received the America / Sarah McLachlan SACDs as a subscriber to Audio Fidelity CD club.



No worries, I'm out a SACD player myself, the whole 103D through a wrench in considering a new player. So no worries, thanks either way.


Dan
post #8684 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Cool, thanks
No worries, I'm out a SACD player myself, the whole 103D through a wrench in considering a new player. So no worries, thanks either way.

Dan-what happened with your 103?
post #8685 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

No worries, I'm out a SACD player myself, the whole 103D through a wrench in considering a new player. So no worries, thanks either way.

Dan

Hey Dan,

Did you sell your 95? If you would be OK with the 103 let me know as I might have one at a decent price. Or are you holding out for the 103D?

Bill
post #8686 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Dan-what happened with your 103?


hey Steve I had a 95, I sold it wanted to keep up with the Joneses eek.gif So now I'm waiting on what ever reports there is on the new 103D..


Dan
post #8687 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

hey Steve I had a 95, I sold it wanted to keep up with the Joneses eek.gif So now I'm waiting on what ever reports there is on the new 103D..

aah, gotcha. I guess The Joneses are flying past me and my old 83.wink.gif
post #8688 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

aah, gotcha. I guess The Joneses are flying past me and my old 83.wink.gif


I thought you had a 93,

I wish I had that steel will on sticking with it, but compensate for my boring life. biggrin.gif I'm a wild man in my own mind!

Dan
post #8689 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I thought you had a 93

I have an 83 and a 980H and probably won't upgrade until both die.
post #8690 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Hey Dan,

Did you sell your 95? If you would be OK with the 103 let me know as I might have one at a decent price. Or are you holding out for the 103D?

Bill

Hey sorry I missed your post some how confused.gif I was going for the 105, but then I heard about the 103D and now I'm the middle! Will keep you posted thou.


Dan
post #8691 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
 

a disk a day, I love it do you have a list of the best?

 

My recent acquisition

 

Product Details
Double & Triple Concertos by Rachel Podger, Brecon Baroque and Johann Sebastian Bach (2013) - Import

No longer at that rate but still several each week.  No lists.  No organization.

post #8692 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View PostNo longer at that rate but still several each week.  No lists.  No organization.

OK any favorite ones?

 

http://images.apple.com/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/docs/mastered_for_itunes.pdf

 

Does it mean they are high resolution files or still 320kb

post #8693 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Hey sorry I missed your post some how confused.gif I was going for the 105, but then I heard about the 103D and now I'm the middle! Will keep you posted thou.


Dan
Assuming you were using the analog outs on the 95, why would you go with a 103D, even with the Darblet?
post #8694 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

OK any favorite ones?


http://images.apple.com/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/docs/mastered_for_itunes.pdf

Does it mean they are high resolution files or still 320kb
I have no experience with iTunes but 320kB is what it is.
post #8695 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Assuming you were using the analog outs on the 95, why would you go with a 103D, even with the Darblet?


I've been down grading most of my components for the last few years, and was really thinking about the VP side of the Darblet for kicks. I'm on constant internal battle between these things.


Dan
post #8696 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I've been down grading most of my components for the last few years, and was really thinking about the VP side of the Darblet for kicks. I'm on constant internal battle between these things.


Dan

Dan,

I believe you no longer have a dedicated preamp (with HT Bypass) so I think the 103 or the 103D would be the better choice over the 105. That is unless you plan on putting your vast SACD collection on a hard drive (DSD) then the 105 might be the best choice to use the digital inputs. Tough choice but the additional $700 cost of the 105 over the 103 made that choice easier for me. There is no doubt the 105 is the better unit especially when using the analog outputs. But I find the analog outputs of the 103 to be quite good when used with my Parasound 2100.

Bill
post #8697 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Dan,

I believe you no longer have a dedicated preamp (with HT Bypass) so I think the 103 or the 103D would be the better choice over the 105. That is unless you plan on putting your vast SACD collection on a hard drive (DSD) then the 105 might be the best choice to use the digital inputs. Tough choice but the additional $700 cost of the 105 over the 103 made that choice easier for me. There is no doubt the 105 is the better unit especially when using the analog outputs. But I find the analog outputs of the 103 to be quite good when used with my Parasound 2100.

Bill


Hey Bill you're correct I no longer have a 2ch processor.

I've been think the cheaper route for sure, but I am planing the whole music on the hard drive thing and even BD movies, a I've been picking Steve's brain on the the hardware storage process but that a another topic.

Hopefully I can make the right decision without leaving anything out the equation.

Thanks

Dan
post #8698 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View PostDan,  I believe you no longer have a dedicated preamp (with HT Bypass) so I think the 103 or the 103D would be the better choice over the 105. That is unless you plan on putting your vast SACD collection on a hard drive (DSD) then the 105 might be the best choice to use the digital inputs. Tough choice but the additional $700 cost of the 105 over the 103 made that choice easier for me. There is no doubt the 105 is the better unit especially when using the analog outputs. But I find the analog outputs of the 103 to be quite good when used with my Parasound 2100.

Bill

How do you put DSD on a hard drive I would do it instantly!

post #8699 of 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

How do you put DSD on a hard drive I would do it instantly!

You download them from the internet wink.gif
Or burn them with a PS3
post #8700 of 9850
Just ordered Billy Joel's "Songs in the Attic" Mobile Fidelity hybrid SACD. Received e-mail from Music Direct that it will be released later this week.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Surround Music Formats
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases?