or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 299

post #8941 of 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

And bought Division Bell CD, a Pink Floyd album that I did not even know existed until only recently.

I've always enjoyed this album. Pretty mellow.
post #8942 of 9853
I can't seem to find my SACDBA sponsors phone number eek.gif. Hey Dan where are you? Call me before I hit the Buy Now button again biggrin.gif.

Jay Leonhart - Salamander Pie DMP SACD

Bill
post #8943 of 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Thanks, Bill, I might have "misremembered" about America. And thanks for the thread link ... I will lurk.

Jeff

Jeff,

My pleasure. I think you should do more than lurk over at SH. As you know it is an excellent forum for music lovers. It is a little overwhelming at first as the threads in the Music Corner forum move at an incredible pace. I have learned so much over at SH from some very knowledgeable people. Well worth the effort IMO smile.gif.

Bill
post #8944 of 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Jeff,

My pleasure. I think you should do more than lurk over at SH. As you know it is an excellent forum for music lovers. It is a little overwhelming at first as the threads in the Music Corner forum move at an incredible pace. I have learned so much over at SH from some very knowledgeable people. Well worth the effort IMO smile.gif.

Bill

I am most interested in comments comparing the sound quality of the plethora of remastered titles on stereo SACD with the Redbook version. I'll check for threads where I can find those discussions.

Jeff
post #8945 of 9853
Just bought:

Van Morrison - Moondance Deluxe 4 CD/1 Blu-ray box set.

The Doors - L. A. Woman DVD-A

Bill
Edited by Bill Mac - 11/17/13 at 7:53pm
post #8946 of 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Two words ... Bela Fleck.

 

That guy does some really creative stuff, including recently recorded, original full orchestra with banjo pieces. Remarkable considering the expressive limitations of the instrument. 

 

I recall that old Steve Martin stand-up routine where in he plays banjo and comments how you can't play anything not happy on it.

post #8947 of 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Just bought:

Van Morrison - Moondance Deluxe 4 CD/1 Blu-ray box set.

Bill
Finally smile.gif
post #8948 of 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

That guy does some really creative stuff, including recently recorded, original full orchestra with banjo pieces. Remarkable considering the expressive limitations of the instrument. 

I recall that old Steve Martin stand-up routine where in he plays banjo and comments how you can't play anything not happy on it.

My most memorable moments at their concerts is when Bela and bassist Victor Wooten exchange instruments and play the other's in the style of their own. Victor Wooten uses a "hyperkinetic slap and pop technique on bass guitar," and plays the banjo the same. Of course, it still sounds like a banjo but that distinctive sound is overlayed by the technique. Ditto Bela playing Victor's bass with his banjo picking style.

Jeff
post #8949 of 9853
My somewhat late comments to Bill about the King Crimson dvd-a sets:

I did not get "In the Court of..." because it is too raw for me musically. I have to choose what I buy, you know, until I hit the jackpot on the lottery.... :-)

However, I did buy the ones that come after that in their catalog:
In the Wake of Posseidon
Lizard
Larks Tongues in Aspic
Starless and Bible Black.

I love all of them. And they HAVE bass :-)
I can recommend any of the above to you. Perhaps you would like Lizard best because it has lots of influence from jazz. This one is only 24/48 but you would never tell. It has a gorgeous sound. Wonderful, exciting music.

But, I would like to persuade you to buy Larks Tongues (too). I consider this album as their DSOTM. A masterpiece. And the SQ is impeccable. Is there a way for you to listen to that dvd-a before deciding to buy it? A fellow high-rez afficionado could perhaps give you a demonstration...? I would say that one track called 'Easy Money' alone is worth buying this set. The drums, percussions and guitars are unbelievable (apart from the great music of course!)

Well, 70s rock, especially prog is like bread to me: need it every day, cannot live without it. Somewhere you said you were not a fan of Close to the Edge. Well, if you do not enjoy CTTE, perhaps early Crimson is not for you, but I must also say that when I was looking forward to hearing the new high-rez surround mix of CTTE, I was expecting a sonic nirvana similar to what I experience with Larks Tongue. Sadly, to me, the new CTTE dvd-a fails to deliver that.
post #8950 of 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

I gotta check this one out biggrin.gif

If you don't have it the BD is true hi-rez transfer then it's a must have for sure.
post #8951 of 9853
I was just having fun because he called it "Jeff Beck Sea Change." I have the SACD, DVD-A, and the MoFi (which is excellent BTW).
post #8952 of 9853
Oh yea... I've actually got a friend called Jeff Beck redface.gif
post #8953 of 9853
I finally picked up Primus - Sailing The Sea of Cheese. Listened to it last night but I think It's defective. Center channel stops after first track and doesn't come back on my Oppo 83se. Listened to the entire disc thinking that it didn't have a center until I restarted disc and realized the center was on then not on. More testing tomorrow...
post #8954 of 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

I was just having fun because he called it "Jeff Beck Sea Change." I have the SACD, DVD-A, and the MoFi (which is excellent BTW).

Opps, I'm a little slow.
post #8955 of 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post

Opps, I'm a little slow.
It gets worse... I've found out today that my friend Jeff Beck is actually Geoff Beck eek.gif
post #8956 of 9853
I ordered a few of the Universal Blu-Ray Audio discs to check them out. Ordered Queen - A Night at the Opera, Supertramp - Breakfast in America, Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life and Lionel Ritchie - Cant Slow Down. Ordered the Lionel because its supposedly a great recording. Its the only one so far that has shipped.
post #8957 of 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

I finally picked up Primus - Sailing The Sea of Cheese. Listened to it last night but I think It's defective. Center channel stops after first track and doesn't come back on my Oppo 83se. Listened to the entire disc thinking that it didn't have a center until I restarted disc and realized the center was on then not on. More testing tomorrow...

Well I only have a center channel for the first 52 seconds of this bluray. Both 5.1 audio options do the same. First disc of any format I have had problems with. I will check the Dolby Digital output of the optical out next to see (hear) if it's the same result. This sucks! (Primus reference). I do have another player to test it again, but will be a pain to hook up..I am a huge Primus/Les Claypool fan so this is disappointing. This disc was a cut out of some sort (bar code scratched out) from ebay but that shouldn't make a difference. It was brand new other than the bar code..
post #8958 of 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

I ordered a few of the Universal Blu-Ray Audio discs to check them out. Ordered Queen - A Night at the Opera, Supertramp - Breakfast in America, Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life and Lionel Ritchie - Cant Slow Down. Ordered the Lionel because its supposedly a great recording. Its the only one so far that has shipped.

The Breakfast in America sounds very nice. Didn't get a chance to listen to the others...yet. The Stevie Wonder and the Lionel Ritchie are getting good reviews. The Queen, not so much unless you are a 2 channel guy/gal.
post #8959 of 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

The Breakfast in America sounds very nice. Didn't get a chance to listen to the others...yet. The Stevie Wonder and the Lionel Ritchie are getting good reviews. The Queen, not so much unless you are a 2 channel guy/gal.
Y

I had heard the Queen was not that great, but I've wanted the Queen DVD-A for a long time so I figured this was better than nothing.
post #8960 of 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

I ordered a few of the Universal Blu-Ray Audio discs to check them out. Ordered Queen - A Night at the Opera, Supertramp - Breakfast in America, Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life and Lionel Ritchie - Cant Slow Down. Ordered the Lionel because its supposedly a great recording. Its the only one so far that has shipped.

Am interested in your comments on the Supertramp title compared to the CD.

Jeff
post #8961 of 9853
I quite like HFPA disc... But I can only compare it to the CD I bought way back in 1984 eek.gif

Has there been many re-masters and format types?
post #8962 of 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

I quite like HFPA disc... But I can only compare it to the CD I bought way back in 1984 eek.gif

Has there been many re-masters and format types?

Not that I know of. Their catalog has been languishing. I would LOVE it if they remixed Crime Of The Century and Crisis What Crisis. IMO, those are their opuses ... opi?

Saw them in concert for the Crime tour. Opened with the bars and hands projected onto a very large screen over the stage ... emerging from a star-filled night sky . .... OMG.
post #8963 of 9853
Received America SACD. Will hopefully have time this evening to listen and compare it to the Redbook.

Jeff
post #8964 of 9853
I've see Crime Of The Century mentioned on various proposed HFPA disc lists. So with any luck you'll get your wish.

I'd quite like to hear a new version of Even In The Quietest Moments, as the CD release version I have sounds nothing like as good as the dbx vinyl disc I have smile.gif
post #8965 of 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Am interested in your comments on the Supertramp title compared to the CD.

Jeff

Jeff,

I'm going to give this another listen and compair to the MFSL Gold CD. I also have a remastered redbook...not sure of year. I know the MFSL betters the remastered version (bright) so I'll use it as the benchmark. On first 2 listens a few days ago, the blu-ray came across as a bit on the loud side, more detailed w/better insturment separation, better low end and bass hits good. Don't get me wrong, it's good; I just had high expectations for this one and was left a little dissapointed. The biggest issue with me on the blu-ray is the high pitch vocals (frequent with Supertramp)...bright and causes me to lower the volume. I never got that with the MFSL which if my memory serves me well, is much more musical and warm. More to come...just working from memory here.
post #8966 of 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Jeff,

I'm going to give this another listen and compair to the MFSL Gold CD. I also have a remastered redbook...not sure of year. I know the MFSL betters the remastered version (bright) so I'll use it as the benchmark. On first 2 listens a few days ago, the blu-ray came across as a bit on the loud side, more detailed w/better insturment separation, better low end and bass hits good. Don't get me wrong, it's good; I just had high expectations for this one and was left a little dissapointed. The biggest issue with me on the blu-ray is the high pitch vocals (frequent with Supertramp)...bright and causes me to lower the volume. I never got that with the MFSL which if my memory serves me well, is much more musical and warm. More to come...just working from memory here.

Oooh yes, the MFSL might be the highest quality Redbook available.

Level-matching is paramount in critical A/B testing as even .5dB louder source will sound "better" than the identical source at -.5dB. Of course, that is not practical and maybe not even possible for a comparison like this. So match them as close as possible and then listen for inner detail and nuance. Supertramp had all of that.

Jeff
post #8967 of 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Don't get me wrong, it's good; I just had high expectations for this one and was left a little dissapointed.

I am cursed as well; I saw them at the Tower Theater and was directly in front of the mixing board. In fact, I grabbed a chunk of kick drum note as it was slamming me in the chest, stuck it in a jar and brought it home.
post #8968 of 9853
FYI folks...the XTC Nonsuch is outstanding...just speaking on the 5.1 LPCM (guessing it's the same on the DVD-A and Blu-ray versions). Steve Wilson has done a great job with this one...obvious on first listen, took several plays for the music to grow on me (all new for me) but it certainly has. There may be a few throw-aways, but some great great tunes. One of the best of the year in my opinion and why I love this stuff; especially when it's 5.1 material!.
post #8969 of 9853
XTC-Nonsuch
post #8970 of 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Oooh yes, the MFSL might be the highest quality Redbook available.

Level-matching is paramount in critical A/B testing as even .5dB louder source will sound "better" than the identical source at -.5dB. Of course, that is not practical and maybe not even possible for a comparison like this. So match them as close as possible and then listen for inner detail and nuance. Supertramp had all of that.

Jeff

Jeff,

I was able to A, B and C using the Original US release, MFSL Gold CD and The Blu-Ray...I would rank them 1) Blu-ray, 2) Orignal US release, 3) MFSL. The blu-ray was really the clear winner and it wasn't what I remembered or expected...or close to the redbooks. I compaired the PCM format of the blu-ray and tried to peak out vocals on all 3 at 90 dbm. The nuances on the blu-ray were clearer and more appearant. The thing that really jumped out to me was the "air" in the vocals/sax/piano...notes hit faster and the decay was significantly better and more lifelike. Base had more weight/impact. Better depth. At compairable levels, the vocals were not any more "harsh"...memory is a funny thing. The original sounded solid and right (good version) and when compaired to the MFSL had better balance and clairity, but just didn't bloom like the blu-ray. The MFSL was wamer but sounded as if a slight vail was over the music, more congested, less of the nuances. Not the same with the MFSL version of COTC which is one of my favorite rock redbooks. FYSA, I had both the redbooks ripped to hard drive playing through the Oppo 95, so swithcing between redbooks was instant. Took about 15 seconds to move to/from the blu-ray.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Surround Music Formats
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases?