or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH thread - Page 6

post #151 of 1988
Hi all...just got a 92TXH and set it up last night. I tried out an HD DVD with TrueHD and it sounded incredible. I am really liking this receiver so far. I ran the MCACC and it did a great job.
I did come across one question though...should I apply processing to this signal? If so, what? I left my speakers as "large" and adjusted the sub to plus. Anything else I should look at adjusting or turning on or off?
I just want to make sure I have everything set right. Thanks!
post #152 of 1988
Just hooked up the 92 replacing my Denon 3805, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to eliminate the Dialog Normalization. Defaults to a +4. Can someone please give me a heads-up? :-) It's been a long night of set up and I'm too groggy to think. I tried a 'search' here but didn't fing anything.

Thanks much!!
post #153 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthx View Post

Just hooked up the 92 replacing my Denon 3805, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to eliminate the Dialog Normalization. Defaults to a +4. Can someone please give me a heads-up? :-) It's been a long night of set up and I'm too groggy to think. I tried a 'search' here but didn't fing anything.

Thanks much!!

Dolby has locked end users out of being able to defeat dial norm. It's a sucky add-on that was only meant for broadcast HDTV Dolby Digital audio streams. It can affect the original master mix's sound balance.

Sony has been good about leaving it OFF for their TrueHD tracks. Other studios leave it on.

IMHO it does more harm than good.
post #154 of 1988
Ouch!! That's not good. :-( Well, so far I'm still impressed.

Thanks for the feedback.
post #155 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Dolby has locked end users out of being able to defeat dial norm. It's a sucky add-on that was only meant for broadcast HDTV Dolby Digital audio streams. It can affect the original master mix's sound balance.

Sony has been good about leaving it OFF for their TrueHD tracks. Other studios leave it on.

IMHO it does more harm than good.

Please point to evidence that shows that it can affect sound balance. I have read Dolby's information on this and it all states that it is only a normalization of overall volume, like turning your volume up or down. From everything I've read, it does not affect the sound balance or dynamic range.

It's not even part of the audio part of the encode. Rather it's embedded as metadata.
post #156 of 1988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthx View Post

Just hooked up the 92 replacing my Denon 3805, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to eliminate the Dialog Normalization. Defaults to a +4. Can someone please give me a heads-up? :-) It's been a long night of set up and I'm too groggy to think. I tried a 'search' here but didn't fing anything.

Thanks much!!

If yours defaults to +4 frequently, then generally it is only running at 4db higher than a perceived normal listening volume level. All dialnorm is an application of turning up or down(+db or -db) the volume on a track. Works best on broadcast HDTV, as the broadcast changes volume levels frequently. If you normally listen to a movie at -30db, then you may want to turn it to 34(with the +4 dialnorm) to balance the volume. By the way, I have never seen a receiver that allows you to disengage the dialnorm.
post #157 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs913 View Post

If yours defaults to +4 frequently, then generally it is only running at 4db higher than a perceived normal listening volume level. All dialnorm is an application of turning up or down(+db or -db) the volume on a track. Works best on broadcast HDTV, as the broadcast changes volume levels frequently. If you normally listen to a movie at -30db, then you may want to turn it to 34(with the +4 dialnorm) to balance the volume. By the way, I have never seen a receiver that allows you to disengage the dialnorm.


Gotcha. Thanks for the info, that's good to know. I did say it 'defaults' to +4. That was my assumption as the 3 or 4 titles I've popped in to this point have all shown +4. That may be a coincidence if that number can vary. I'll keep checking.
post #158 of 1988
Does anyone know how to program the 92THX to "Skip" inputs? I don't need "Phono" "Games" etc. Did I miss this in the manual?

Thanks,

CD
post #159 of 1988
Hey guys! Just thought I would let you know that I picked up my 52XBR4 tonight and have it set up the best I can right now.

I am still waiting for my HDMI cables to arrive from Monoprice, so I had to use component cables for the time being. But even with the component cables the picture is fantastic. Anyways, I can't wait to get the HDMI cables and my new receiver.

I think I am going to go with the Pioneer Elite - 910W 7.1-Ch. Satellite Radio-Ready A/V Home Theater Receiver (VSX-92TXH). Does anyone else have this receiver along with an XBR4? Just curious.

The biggest thing I am looking for is a way to get the best video quality I can from my SD DVD collection. I have over 330 DVDs and I want them to look as close to HD as possible on the XBR4 and I was wondering if this receiver would help in doing that. Also, does anyone have any other suggestions as to how to get DVDs to look their best besides a receiver?

Thanks for any help guys!
post #160 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by sven233 View Post

Hey guys! Just thought I would let you know that I picked up my 52XBR4 tonight and have it set up the best I can right now.

I am still waiting for my HDMI cables to arrive from Monoprice, so I had to use component cables for the time being. But even with the component cables the picture is fantastic. Anyways, I can't wait to get the HDMI cables and my new receiver.

I think I am going to go with the Pioneer Elite - 910W 7.1-Ch. Satellite Radio-Ready A/V Home Theater Receiver (VSX-92TXH). Does anyone else have this receiver along with an XBR4? Just curious.

The biggest thing I am looking for is a way to get the best video quality I can from my SD DVD collection.
I have over 330 DVDs and I want them to look as close to HD as possible on the XBR4 and I was wondering if this receiver would help in doing that. Also, does anyone have any other suggestions as to how to get DVDs to look their best besides a receiver?

Thanks for any help guys!

then get a Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD player. Best up converter on the market right now. DO NOT depend on your Receiver to provide the best video content.
post #161 of 1988
Hello, I have my VSX-92 hooked up to Definitive bi-polar tower speakers BP2000. My old VSX-99 rocked-sounded much better than 92. I have two towers, center channel Def, two rear bi-polar rear wall mounts-hooked up everything as manual recommended and played with settings. Sounds as if subs not working-no bass, also when Pro logic llX Music is selected sound volume sounds muted- have to turn volume up and still sounds like crap! Any help greatly appreciated!
post #162 of 1988
Can the up-conversion be disabled in the 92?
post #163 of 1988
If you're referring to the upscaling then the answer is yes. Set it to Pure Video mode and the output resolution will match the input resolution. You'll still get upconversion (analog -> digital HDMI), but there's really no reason to not want that.
post #164 of 1988
Thanks skriefal,yes upscaling is what I was referring to.However my Pioneer Kuro does a fantastic job with its processing and don't want to add to it.
post #165 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1straightshooter View Post

Hello, I have my VSX-92 hooked up to Definitive bi-polar tower speakers BP2000. My old VSX-99 rocked-sounded much better than 92. I have two towers, center channel Def, two rear bi-polar rear wall mounts-hooked up everything as manual recommended and played with settings. Sounds as if subs not working-no bass, also when Pro logic llX Music is selected sound volume sounds muted- have to turn volume up and still sounds like crap! Any help greatly appreciated!

Now that's funny. I was just about to post similar experience. I'm coming from Onkyo 702. I've only upgraded (or so I thought) because Onkyo didn't have HDMI. I'm outputting into plain vanilla Sony 5.1 speaker setup. With Onkyo it was shaking the house on high volume levels, especially the bass was very well pronounced (so I know it's not the speakers). Yesterday I've watched parts of U-571 on Toshiba A2 hooked over HDMI and the sound seemed to be low, even on the max +12 volume. It just didn't have a punch. The depth charges sounded more like fire crackers. Had I set Onkyo to max volume I probably would've had to leave the room. I don't really know what to think. After the automated setup my front speaker levels are -1db, center -0.5 db, subwoofer -3dB, seems in line with Onkyo numbers. Mind you Onkyo was only 100W per channel and still sounded louder/more pronounced. I too wonder what's up. Anyone else observing this phenomena? Is there something I'm missing?
post #166 of 1988
Tried MCACC setup-still no power to subs-speakers working fine! Any suggestions?
post #167 of 1988
Hey guys, I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem I'm having. I have a Pioneer VSX-94TXH receiver and a Sony 52XBR4, and I might simply be having some sort of HDMI issues. Basically, I'll be watching TV, watching a movie, or playing XBOX, and sometimes the screen will just go crazy, either green or static. I've tried to troubleshoot, but the problem is fixed when any of the following happens:

TV turned on/off
Receiver changes inputs
HDMI cables disconnected and reconnected.

So do you guys think I'm just having HDMI issues?
post #168 of 1988
Any help out there?
post #169 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariuszr View Post

Now that's funny. I was just about to post similar experience. I'm coming from Onkyo 702. I've only upgraded (or so I thought) because Onkyo didn't have HDMI. I'm outputting into plain vanilla Sony 5.1 speaker setup. With Onkyo it was shaking the house on high volume levels, especially the bass was very well pronounced (so I know it's not the speakers). Yesterday I've watched parts of U-571 on Toshiba A2 hooked over HDMI and the sound seemed to be low, even on the max +12 volume. It just didn't have a punch. The depth charges sounded more like fire crackers. Had I set Onkyo to max volume I probably would've had to leave the room. I don't really know what to think. After the automated setup my front speaker levels are -1db, center -0.5 db, subwoofer -3dB, seems in line with Onkyo numbers. Mind you Onkyo was only 100W per channel and still sounded louder/more pronounced. I too wonder what's up. Anyone else observing this phenomena? Is there something I'm missing?

Finaaly figured things out! No response from Audio heads here! Go figure! Anyhow not impressed with the new VSX-92 my old VSX-99 blew this unit out of water-referring to speaker sound quality! I had to turn my sub settings up a bit on rear of subs- I know the new 92 is rated at 130W at front speakers vs 110 on old VSX 99, The only reason I upgraded VSX 99 was for HDMI and new Elite plasma. Will play around with settings for a bit or possibly return and go Marantz or?
post #170 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1straightshooter View Post

Finaaly figured things out! No response from Audio heads here! Go figure! Anyhow not impressed with the new VSX-92 my old VSX-99 blew this unit out of water-referring to speaker sound quality! I had to turn my sub settings up a bit on rear of subs- I know the new 92 is rated at 130W at front speakers vs 110 on old VSX 99, The only reason I upgraded VSX 99 was for HDMI and new Elite plasma. Will play around with settings for a bit or possibly return and go Marantz or?

Actually during automated calibration I was told to turn the sub level down (on the sub itself) twice, before it proceeded.
Even if I raise the sub level manually it still doesn't feel like the advertised 130W.
post #171 of 1988
Of the 92 & 94 owners online here, did you make your decision to go Pioneer based more on Sound Quality or Features? As compared to the similarly equipped/priced Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, Yamaha or Sony ES models? If any of you would share your comparisons, I'd surely appreciate it. I've narrowed it down myself to Pioneer, Marantz & Onkyo, but would love to hear some other user opinions.
post #172 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdlokg View Post

Of the 92 & 94 owners online here, did you make your decision to go Pioneer based more on Sound Quality or Features? As compared to the similarly equipped/priced Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, Yamaha or Sony ES models? If any of you would share your comparisons, I'd surely appreciate it. I've narrowed it down myself to Pioneer, Marantz & Onkyo, but would love to hear some other user opinions.

I second your question and have no answer, but am really interested in why you eliminated Yamaha and Denon. The three I am most interested in are Pio, Yamaha, and Denon. The reports of Onkyo's heat and the delay when switching audio formats have turned me off to them.
post #173 of 1988
Pioneer reciever quality has gone downhill, just my opinion having owned Pioneer elite products for many years! Probably due to fact Pioneer has trimmed cost and quality has suffered. If you are looking at sheer audio quality-you may want to consider Marantz or other choices. My old VSX-99 110 watts seemed to produce better quality audio. Go listen for yourself comparing apples to apples and same speakers/configurations. Good luck!
post #174 of 1988
I agree that Pioneer has lost ground in terms of quality...an example would be the binding posts on the 92...I've seen better on $300 receivers...pure crap.
Marantz has much better build quality.

CD
post #175 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdlokg View Post

Of the 92 & 94 owners online here, did you make your decision to go Pioneer based more on Sound Quality or Features? As compared to the similarly equipped/priced Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, Yamaha or Sony ES models? If any of you would share your comparisons, I'd surely appreciate it. I've narrowed it down myself to Pioneer, Marantz & Onkyo, but would love to hear some other user opinions.

I have 92 txh for about a week now, I didn't feel the $300 extra for 94 was worth it (network for audio and 4th HDMI) and the deciding factors were:

-3 HDMI inputs
-DD/DTS MA decoding
-10 video input sources of which 3 are component and 3 HDMI, this was probably the biggest one, since HDMI inputs are separate, unlike on other receivers where they have to be assigned to one of the inputs. This way you can truly have 6 HD sources
-No relays clicking when changing sources or when audio format changes or drops out (common annoying feature of Onkyo's)
-Video upconversion to 1080p, unlike 720p on lower end onkyo's (605/705/805)
-Running fairly cool, unlike Onkyos
-No reported lip sync problems

The only thing I'm unsure about now is the overall power level compared to my old Onkyo 702. I have to do more experiments. So far it sounds nice and clear but somehow underpowered.
post #176 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariuszr View Post

I have 92 txh for about a week now, I didn't feel the $300 extra for 94 was worth it (network for audio and 4th HDMI) and the deciding factors were:

-3 HDMI inputs
-DD/DTS MA decoding
-10 video input sources of which 3 are component and 3 HDMI, this was probably the biggest one, since HDMI inputs are separate, unlike on other receivers where they have to be assigned to one of the inputs. This way you can truly have 6 HD sources
-No relays clicking when changing sources or when audio format changes or drops out (common annoying feature of Onkyo's)
-Video upconversion to 1080p, unlike 720p on lower end onkyo's (605/705/805)
-Running fairly cool, unlike Onkyos
-No reported lip sync problems

The only thing I'm unsure about now is the overall power level compared to my old Onkyo 702. I have to do more experiments. So far it sounds nice and clear but somehow underpowered.

Very underpowered! Thinking abount hooking my old VSX 99 back up for Audio!
post #177 of 1988
I can't give a testemonial based on pure receiver power, but I just picked up a 92 and have the front pre-outed to Rotel amps and I was relieved to hear how good this sounded, not just for movies (which I assumed would sound fine) but for music and two-channel in particular. Everything I hoped for.
post #178 of 1988
For owners of speakers that output a 4ohm load, no Pioneer Elite is fit to power these speakers. I called Pioneer myself and I also found it in the manual. 6 ohms is a go.

Now i am looking into the yamaha 1800, atleast that receiver can power the fronts that are 4 ohms
post #179 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticnads View Post

For owners of speakers that output a 4ohm load, no Pioneer Elite is fit to power these speakers. I called Pioneer myself and I also found it in the manual. 6 ohms is a go.

Now i am looking into the yamaha 1800, atleast that receiver can power the fronts that are 4 ohms

Depends on your listening habits. I don't really ever turn the sound up anywhere near "reference" levels. Already have some high frequency hearing loss, and don't care for more. So, I don't tax the receiver as much as some folks might.

I've been powering my Legacy Signature IIs, which are rated 4 ohms, plus a center and surrounds, with my Sony DA4ES for some time now, and it doesn't seem to have any noticable problems. I wouldn't think the Pioneers were less capable than the Sony.

If 4 ohms is the lowest impedance the speakers present at any frequency, you may be all right. Some 4 ohm speakers do drop to 2 or 1 ohm at certain frequencies, and then I think there would for sure be problems.
post #180 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpco View Post

I second your question and have no answer, but am really interested in why you eliminated Yamaha and Denon. The three I am most interested in are Pio, Yamaha, and Denon. The reports of Onkyo's heat and the delay when switching audio formats have turned me off to them.

I haven't totally eliminated Yamaha, but have my doubts that they will power my 4 ohm speakers (Canton Ergos). The deciding factor may come down to this: Warranty. Marantz comes with 3 from a specialty shop. Locally I can shop BB or CC and get Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon or Onkyo with a 5 year warranty and drop them back there if they have problems. Ultimately, whatever I get , I plan to run a separate multichannel amp so the 4 ohm speakers will not be an issue then.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH thread