or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH thread - Page 59

post #1741 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

A few things to clarify:

1. it is only a problem when your device outputs 1080p. Not a problem if the device only outputs 1080i or lower.

2. My experience is that the HDMI handshake only occurs when 92 powers on. If your TV is not ready at that time, 92 will remember that your TV does not support 1080p.

So, it is not that whenever you watching anything you will see 'NOT SUPPORT' error. It is whenever you turn on a device that requests 1080p output that you will see the error right away because 92 remembered its initial handshake status (or lack there of). Most cable boxes and sat boxes only outputs 1080i max. But BD players and XBox 360 output 1080p.

The delay I refer to is for the TV so that it gives TV enough time to power on before 92 powers on and request handshake immediately. It does not apply to activity switching.

I had my 92 firmware updated a year or so ago and it didn't resolve the 'NOT SUPPORT' error. Not sure if the newer firmware fix it or not becuase mine is out of warranty already.

So, why do you think the last two TV's worked well with the 92, even switching from 1080P to 1080I and back? This has me bamboozled!
post #1742 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBerger View Post

So, why do you think the last two TV's worked well with the 92, even switching from 1080P to 1080I and back? This has me bamboozled!

It, quite likely, has to do with the way Sony designed those sets.

I assume that your prior 2 Sony's were older models and your 55EX500 is a brand new model. Your prior two sets may have been designed so that the HDMI input circuit was included in the "keep-alive" circuitry that stays turned on when you turn the set off (part of the "Standby" circuitry).

In an effort to be "greener", Sony may have decided to shut off the HDMI inputs in the "Standby" mode (thus reducing the amount of "Standby" power consumed). This would certainly lead to the differences that you observed. However, that would not account for the behavior that you observed while switching between 1080p to 1080i. That part is very puzzling and sounds like a "bug" in the Sony design of the 55EX500. It could also have a defective HDMI input circuit, as well. HDMI is supposed to re-establish the hand-shaking whenever it's input changes, but switching between 1080i & 1080p sounds ridiculous.
post #1743 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

It, quite likely, has to do with the way Sony designed those sets.

I assume that your prior 2 Sony's were older models and your 55EX500 is a brand new model. Your prior two sets may have been designed so that the HDMI input circuit was included in the "keep-alive" circuitry that stays turned on when you turn the set off (part of the "Standby" circuitry).

In an effort to be "greener", Sony may have decided to shut off the HDMI inputs in the "Standby" mode (thus reducing the amount of "Standby" power consumed). This would certainly lead to the differences that you observed. However, that would not account for the behavior that you observed while switching between 1080p to 1080i. That part is very puzzling and sounds like a "bug" in the Sony design of the 55EX500. It could also have a defective HDMI input circuit, as well. HDMI is supposed to re-establish the hand-shaking whenever it's input changes, but switching between 1080i & 1080p sounds ridiculous.

Thanks CT...I got a call today from Sony Engineering and they confirmed there is a "bug" in the HDMI board on the 55EX500...I agree after all the trouble shooting that it had to be with the HDMI board and/or the way the company that supplied the board to Sony had it configured or Sony...
I have read through some of the Forums threads about the VSX92TXH when hooked up to certain monitors will get that "Not Supported" message. Here's one of them...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=14755008

here's another...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=986069

So, Sony informed me that they will have a update for the firmware in a week and will contact me.. I am crossing EVERYTHING that this is the problem and I will be able to get it back to the way it should be...I really like the 55EX500...find the PQ and blacks alot better then the EX700 with the LED backlighting...seems I like CCFL better!
post #1744 of 1988
Still no word yet from Sony!
post #1745 of 1988
Guys are there any software updates for the 92? If so what are the benefits of the update? Thanks.
post #1746 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by seinsmeld13 View Post

Guys are there any software updates for the 92? If so what are the benefits of the update? Thanks.

I am not sure but a few months ago a few of the thread members had put up the most recent firmware update versions and what they do...you will need to search the thread....
post #1747 of 1988
I got a question for everyone...for the last few weeks now I have noticed the 92 makes a noise in the surround speakers which is very sparadic...it kinda sounds like the sound you hear when you turn a dial on a component that has had alot of dust in it..a quick crackle sound! Most of the time it happens like every 45mins or so when watching Directv. It isn't very loud...just annoying and hoping I won't have to pack it up and send it out, argghhhh!
I will have to play a bluray and see if it does it on a different component but haven't had the time to sit for 2+ hours!

It's Directv!
post #1748 of 1988
StuBerger -- I replied to your PM with some alternatives. I really suggest you join the DBSTalk forum (http://www.dbstalk.com/) and see if they might be able to provide some help, or insight into your problem.
post #1749 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

StuBerger -- I replied to your PM with some alternatives. I really suggest you join the DBSTalk forum (http://www.dbstalk.com/) and see if they might be able to provide some help, or insight into your problem.

I will Claus, and for now I will stick with the HDMI connection since the noise isn't enough to damage anything and isn't problematic to our ears. I am starting to think this problem had started after the last D* system update to our DVR on June 3rd.

I will give them (D) a call and talk to tech to atleast give them a heads-up with the problem and hope there will be a fix but with all the audio problems D is having I am not looking for one anytime soon!

Also, it would be a major pain in the ... to switch cables due to how we have our gear hooked up and positioned. I am relieved it isn't the 92!

I also wonder if it's the H23-700 I have or is it in D's signal itself...maybe their new receiver, the 24 would be a fix, hmmmmmm

I'm going to join dbstalk today!
post #1750 of 1988
Well Claus, bad news, that sound is also happening with the bluray too...so I will be packing the 92 up and I will be going to Chicago for the weekend at the end of the month and will bring it to one of the service centers in the area...hopefully it's the firmware but I am gearing toward the latter...since it wasn't happening before with the bluray player!

Damn!
post #1751 of 1988
I need some help...a few minutes ago I was watching Batman via bluray on the 92 and about midway through the movie the 92 just up and shut off and the phase control light was flashing!
I had volume at -22....never encountered this before...I am wondering if this has something to do with the sounds I've been hearing at times...the sound like a dusty knob makes.

It's hard to check the way I have the 92 hooked to visualy see if the speaker wires are fine but I did reach back and feel since I am using banana style plugs and all are spaced fine.

I am now watching War of the Worlds at moderate volume and nothing yet. I did take a look see at the instructions and in the trouble shooting section it says to check the speaker connections...or unplug it and bring it to a authorized service center. Yikes!
post #1752 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBerger View Post

I need some help...a few minutes ago I was watching Batman via bluray on the 92 and about midway through the movie the 92 just up and shut off and the phase control light was flashing!
I had volume at -22....never encountered this before...I am wondering if this has something to do with the sounds I've been hearing at times...the sound like a dusty knob makes.

It's hard to check the way I have the 92 hooked to visualy see if the speaker wires are fine but I did reach back and feel since I am using banana style plugs and all are spaced fine.

I am now watching War of the Worlds at moderate volume and nothing yet. I did take a look see at the instructions and in the trouble shooting section it says to check the speaker connections...or unplug it and bring it to a authorized service center. Yikes!

Well, found what it was...I put a piece if threshold trim down and one of the finish nails went through the ultra thin speaker wire...opps!
post #1753 of 1988
hey how do i turn down the treble on my reciever??? is it the x curve?
post #1754 of 1988
Hit A.param on the remote, then hit down arrow until you see tone on the receiver's display
post #1755 of 1988
I am trying to figure out if the reciever is capable of passing the HDMI signal through to my TV with the unit off.

Is it possible at all? And if not, how can I set to at least pass the audio through (which, currently it does not do. Video only.) Sometimes it's far too late at night to be running the sound through the large speaker system.
post #1756 of 1988
I just hooked up my 92TXH again after not having it hooked up for a few months due to not having my flat panel and I've run in to a slight problem. I noticed that when I turn on my equipment (Panasonic 58VT25, the receiver, and my DirecTV box) the receiver will automatically mute itself. It isn't a hard fix, as as soon as I unmute it it is fine until I shut it off, but it is just a minor inconvenience that would be nice to get rid of.

Also, I haven't exactly read up on whether the receiver can do 3D or not, but I just kind of assumed it couldn't. Am I wrong in that assumption? Earlier today I was able to play Super Stardust HD in 3D just fine even though I have my PS3 run through my receiver. Or does that game do a different kind of 3D than 3D Blu-Ray?
post #1757 of 1988
bgbball31 -- Your assumption is correct. The VSX-92 is a two+ year old AVR. None of the AVRs that were produced before this year (2010) are 3D capable -- they do not have HDMI 1.4 inputs and the necessary interface hardware to handle 3D signals. Only some of the newest designs are 3D capable, and not all 3D capable AVRs are compatible with all 3D BD players and/or all 3D displays. The interface standards have not been formalized yet.

Your muting problem sounds strange. However, it's actually kind of nice, since it prevents a loud blast of audio or "pops" coming out of your speakers during the turn-on process.

Theonetruegreg -- I do not believe it is possible under any circumstances. When the unit is Off (standby mode), all processing (audio & video) is turned Off. The standby mode only keeps the power supply active to provide power to the memory chips to remember the radio presets and A/V settings.

When watching late at night, the volume control can always be turned way down so that the audio level is very quiet, so that should not be an impediment to late night use (even with a large speaker system). Just because you have a large speaker system does not mean you have to use it at a loud volume.
post #1758 of 1988
Never thought about the positives of it, huh. Anyways, like I said, I didn't think it was 3D capable, but that doesn't exactly explain how I was able to play a 3D PS3 game through it...
post #1759 of 1988
bgbball31 -- That's because 3D games are coded differently from 3D movies. When people talk about 3D, they are referring to the new 3D movie Blu-Ray video material.
post #1760 of 1988
i just hooked up some new paradigm speakers. i did the mcacc. will it hurt the center channel if i go into the eq of my vsx 92 and raise all of the high freq. 1 db and turn the trim up 1 db? it a cc-390 center. thanks
post #1761 of 1988
hey guys how much should i start a 2 1/2 year old vsx-92txh on ebay? its in like new condition. and how much do you think they are worth now? thanks!!
post #1762 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdpw View Post

hey guys how much should i start a 2 1/2 year old vsx-92txh on ebay? its in like new condition. and how much do you think they are worth now? thanks!!

Hate to say it but I have been noticing that used, in mint condition, 92's are going from 450.00 to 550.00...
post #1763 of 1988
it is in mint conditon. but hey, its electronics ya know. they never resell for a lot
post #1764 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdpw View Post

it is in mint conditon. but hey, its electronics ya know. they never resell for a lot

I might be interested...
post #1765 of 1988
I had to disassemble my receiver the other day. Everything is working normally except I now have no sound when watching tv. I have my satellite receiver hooked up direct to the tv, dvi out to hdmi direct to the tv. For audio optical out to receiver. No sound. Any suggestions?
post #1766 of 1988
Anybody?
post #1767 of 1988
Try hitting "Signal Sel" on the remote and cycle through until you get to auto. Maybe it's in Analog and not HDMI or Digital. Usually no sound means the incoming signal doesn't not match what the 92 is set up to receive.

If it works leave it in AUTO. That way it will automatically detect the incoming signal and switch on it's own.
post #1768 of 1988
There was an issue with the dat receiver, thanks for your help anyway.
post #1769 of 1988
Guys my receiver is working great as normal. I recently reset the receiver as I was having an issue which turned out to be my HD satellite receiver. I therefore had to do the maac again. The unit for some strange reason sounds much better than it has in the past. My question is, is there any need to do the firmware update? I spoke to a Pioneer tech he said there was an update but unsure as to what it does. How do I check my receiver to determine which firmware I have? This will save me a hell of a lot of time, thanks.
post #1770 of 1988
Hey all,

Question regarding headphones and the vsx-92txh. I'm attempting to hook up a Sony wireless headphones (MDR-RF925RK) to the 92 and failing miserably so far. After dismantling my rather inaccessible system to get to the back of the 92 I finally gave up and decided to just use the headphone jack in the front. According to the forums, when plugged in this should cut the output to the speakers and just run sound through the headphones.

What happened when plugged in is that it put the output into stereo instead of 5.1 but still continued through the speakers with no sound coming from the headphones.

Currently I have a PS3, toshiba hd-a30, and comcast cable box on hdmi in, and an xbox 360 on component/optical in. Outputs are hdmi out to the tv and speakers/amp from the 92.

Any help would be appreciated as I have a week or so left that I can return the headphones if need be. At this point I likely to do more harm than good if I keep fiddling with the system. How I got it all working together in the first place I'll never know.

Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH thread