or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-2808CI Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Denon AVR-2808CI Owners Thread - Page 124

post #3691 of 3813
I just bought the Sony BDP-S790 blu ray player and hooked it up last night to my Denon AVR-988 (pretty much the same as the AVR-2808). I ran HDMI1 to my TV and HDMI2 to my avr. I turned off BD audio mixing, turned off the braviasync (CEC), turned off the AV separation Output Mode. But when I started a movie, with the TV already on, it only shows PCM and only shows the front left and front right speakers.




If I turn the TV off, stop the movie, then start the movie again, it shows DTS-HD MSTR, and all of the speakers on the avr display.





Then if I turn the TV on, it goes back to displaying PCM and just my front speakers, like the first image. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?
post #3692 of 3813
HDMI handshake issues can often be mitigated by powering on the devices in a specific order, and although generally TV, AVR, then source device, you may want to try AVR, source, TV. Also try the HDCP reset procedure listed in the post below ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_L11
post #3693 of 3813
i just got the 2808ci on craigslist but no audyssey mic
what model # mic do i need.
i see a few different one's on ebay
thx!
post #3694 of 3813
found it
DM-A405
post #3695 of 3813
Correct, although note the following year the mic changed to the DM-A409 which can be used on the XX09 and all newer models.
post #3696 of 3813
Any recommendation's how I should set the crossover frequency on both the AVR and the BDP-103 ?
post #3697 of 3813
Run AUTO SETUP on the AVR and let the AVR set the speaker crossovers, raising any set < 80Hz back up to 80Hz.
post #3698 of 3813
Also, the Oppo's bass management settings only apply to the multich analog outputs. If you are connected digitally (HDMI) then it won't apply, and you need to use the receiver's bass management as JD describes. If you are connecting with multich analog, then you lose out on the receiver's digital processing (it is just an amp with this config) and everything must be set in the Oppo. The digital solution should be superior so you can access digital processing like bass management and Audyssey room correction.
post #3699 of 3813
Anyone have an idea why my Samsung flat panel displays "mode not supported" when I try to use the OSD? It used to work fine with my previous tv. Thanks for any insight.
post #3700 of 3813
Are you trying to pass a 3D video signal as the 2808CI is only HDMI 1.3 and does not support 3D?
post #3701 of 3813
No, not 3d. Just trying to run the Audyesee set up via the OSD.
post #3702 of 3813
Then try replacing the HDMI cables.
post #3703 of 3813
The hdmi cable is good, watching the tv right now. It is not a new set-up. I just havnt ran the room correction software on the reciever with this particular tv.
post #3704 of 3813
Try replacing the HDMI cables. Also check to see if the new TV can accept a 480i signal (OSD resolution) over HDMI as some cannot.
Edited by jdsmoothie - 1/26/13 at 5:55pm
post #3705 of 3813
Guys, a really urgent question so that I can understand whether 2808 will fit in my stand - does the total depth (420mm) include the large volume knob? I.e. if we don't take the knob into account, is the depth closer to roughly 390mm?
Thanks, really appreciated.
post #3706 of 3813
Yes, generally Denon specs will include all "protrusions" ....
post #3707 of 3813
Cabling out the rear can make hash of the best laid plans, though.
post #3708 of 3813
Very good point -- definitely factor in at least 2-3" of space to take into account cabling.
post #3709 of 3813
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Try replacing the HDMI cables. Also check to see if the new TV can accept a 480i signal (OSD resolution) over HDMI as some cannot.

You hit it on the head, the tv wont accept 480i via HDMI. Hooked composite cable from monitor out to tv. Voila in business! Thanks for your help.
post #3710 of 3813
It started when I upgraded my Blu-ray play from my Sony BDPS300 to a newer model that supports DTS-HD Master Audio. I would get these random micro bursts of white noise in the front speakers only when playing a movie with the DTS-HD Master sound track. If I were to pause and go back it did not happen again.
It would occur ounce a week _ sometimes more, sometimes less.
Eventually I noticed that no sound was coming from the front channel at all because the speaker fuses were both blown. Installing new fuses caused the micro burst of white noise to rotate through all of the channels and the only way to get this to stop was to disconnect the front speakers.
Here is where it gets a little odd _ utilizing the other set of the front speaker connections worked fine and I used it this way for a while, but I was uncomfortable with this arrangement as I didn't know why the "A" set of terminals was dead while the "B" set seemed perfectly fine.
Off to the Denon repair centre and he found nothing wrong.
He did a firmware flash (not a default reset) and told me that the font channels were simply muted...

So the question is how did the front channels become muted _ I didn't even know this was possible to mute specific channels. I spent a morning trying to figure out where this could be done and the only thing that I came up with is that the channels could be turned down to
-12dB's. This however does not fully mute the channel as you can still hear sound out of the speakers.

Could it be that it just needed a firmware update to the processor, but still what did the technition mean when he told me that the front channels were muted and if so, why did the "A" front channel not work and the "B" channel did ?
post #3711 of 3813
^^
Refer to p. 43 in the Owner's manual .... if the Speaker setting is set to "Front B" the "Front A" speakers are muted.

post #3712 of 3813
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Refer to p. 43 in the Owner's manual .... if the Speaker setting is set to "Front B" the "Front A" speakers are muted.

Ok, thank you very much for the explanation, much appreciated ! smile.gif
I looked at the manual so much, that I missed that even though it was starring me right in the face.
post #3713 of 3813
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post

It started when I upgraded my Blu-ray play from my Sony BDPS300 to a newer model that supports DTS-HD Master Audio. I would get these random micro bursts of white noise in the front speakers only when playing a movie with the DTS-HD Master sound track. If I were to pause and go back it did not happen again.
It would occur ounce a week _ sometimes more, sometimes less.
Eventually I noticed that no sound was coming from the front channel at all because the speaker fuses were both blown. Installing new fuses caused the micro burst of white noise to rotate through all of the channels and the only way to get this to stop was to disconnect the front speakers.
Here is where it gets a little odd _ utilizing the other set of the front speaker connections worked fine and I used it this way for a while, but I was uncomfortable with this arrangement as I didn't know why the "A" set of terminals was dead while the "B" set seemed perfectly fine.
Off to the Denon repair centre and he found nothing wrong.
He did a firmware flash (not a default reset) and told me that the font channels were simply muted...

So the question is how did the front channels become muted _ I didn't even know this was possible to mute specific channels. I spent a morning trying to figure out where this could be done and the only thing that I came up with is that the channels could be turned down to
-12dB's. This however does not fully mute the channel as you can still hear sound out of the speakers.

Could it be that it just needed a firmware update to the processor, but still what did the technition mean when he told me that the front channels were muted and if so, why did the "A" front channel not work and the "B" channel did ?
This sucks, nothing has changed from the original problem, lsat night when I was watching "Wreck-It-Ralph" the same symptoms appeard from the front speakers _ the Denon service centre repired nothing.
It's one of those things that can't be reproduced right away, it has to be used for a number of hours or days before it surfaces.
I mentioned earlier that is sound like mico-burts of white noise _ well after experiencing it again it sounds more like two wooded rullers being "smacked" together. The sound is vey short in duration and loud anough where it wakes the cat up and sometimes blows the fuses on the speakers.
Is there anyone here that has experienced this and if so, what did you do about it ?
post #3714 of 3813
maybe you got some form of DTS "bomb".... it was supposedly solved by fixes in some receivers, not sure about denon but I see in other places that there might be other issues around this. maybe try borrowing another player from a friend to see if it changes. You seem to have a movie (probably not too main stream) that provides a readily testable situation.... some other posts else where seem to indicate issues at the "movie level". anyways, just some thoughts.
Edited by budwich - 3/9/13 at 9:54am
post #3715 of 3813
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

maybe you got some form of DTS "bomb".... it was supposedly solved by fixes in some receivers, not sure about denon but I see in other places that there might be other issues around this. maybe try borrowing another player from a friend to see if it changes. You seem to have a movie (probably not too main stream) that provides a readily testable situation.... some other posts else where seem to indicate issues at the "movie level". anyways, just some thoughts.
Thanks for the reply, tried a different player with the same result and it's doing through mt Dune H1 as well, the other two players are Sony and LG incidentally.

The next thing I am going to try is to power amp the two front surrounds, if it cures the problem then I will know that the problem is in the power amp section of the Denon, if not then it's in the pre-amp circuit. I have some really old tube Ampex stereo power amps buried in the attic, but getting at them is a chore in it self.

I have read about the DTS bomb and there was very little information about it concerning Denon AVR's. All that I could find was that it didn't apply to Denon products _ the technition did apparently update the processor, but now I am not sure if he did that or simply did a reset. Given the problem has resurfaced, I don't think much was done. All he did was connect some speakers up to it and listened to the front channels with the tuner _ not much of a test in my opinion, but then again I am only assumming that he tested with the radio as I found it set to a station.
I'll keep prodding at this for now _ not much of a choice.
post #3716 of 3813
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post

This sucks, nothing has changed from the original problem, lsat night when I was watching "Wreck-It-Ralph" the same symptoms appeard from the front speakers _ the Denon service centre repired nothing.
It's one of those things that can't be reproduced right away, it has to be used for a number of hours or days before it surfaces.
I mentioned earlier that is sound like mico-burts of white noise _ well after experiencing it again it sounds more like two wooded rullers being "smacked" together. The sound is vey short in duration and loud anough where it wakes the cat up and sometimes blows the fuses on the speakers.
Is there anyone here that has experienced this and if so, what did you do about it ?

There have been a couple of issues with DTS-HD MA audio tracks on a few selective BDs both of which were fixed with firmware updates which you said the repair facility installed. Your best bet is to simply set the BDP to decode the audio as there is no loss in audio quality doing so.
post #3717 of 3813
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post

All that I could find was that it didn't apply to Denon products _ the technition did apparently update the processor, but now I am not sure if he did that or simply did a reset. Given the problem has resurfaced, I don't think much was done. All he did was connect some speakers up to it and listened to the front channels with the tuner _ not much of a test in my opinion, but then again I am only assumming that he tested with the radio as I found it set to a station.
I'll keep prodding at this for now _ not much of a choice.

I would definitely call the shop back to confirm not only that they did in fact install a firmware update, but also get the date of the service bulletin for which the firmware update applied and ask whether it resolved the "Star Wars Saga" BD audio issue as that would be the most current of the firmware updates. Otherwise, if not, you can PM me with a non-gmail email address and I can forward the update to you if you would like to install it yourself via a laptop and RS-232 cable connection. Refer to post #3478 in this thread for more information.
Edited by jdsmoothie - 3/9/13 at 2:09pm
post #3718 of 3813
This is great, I've never had anyone give me help like this on a forum before ! biggrin.gif I'm usually the one giving advice, it's nice to be on the other end for a change.smile.gif
I will update this post when I find out exactly what the technition did.
The technition did not do a firmware update, the update they had was for some problem with the "Golden Compass", which I think is an old version compared to the version that fixes the Star Wars issues.
He decided that his update would not fix my problem and nothing was done Hmph...

So much for the Authorized Denon repair center. rolleyes.gif
Edited by JeffR1 - 3/11/13 at 1:46pm
post #3719 of 3813
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

I would definitely call the shop back to confirm not only that they did in fact install a firmware update, but also get the date of the service bulletin for which the firmware update applied and ask whether it resolved the "Star Wars Saga" BD audio issue as that would be the most current of the firmware updates. Otherwise, if not, you can PM me with a non-gmail email address and I can forward the update to you if you would like to install it yourself via a laptop and RS-232 cable connection. Refer to post #3478 in this thread for more information.
I did the firmware update last night and things went well, it's just like doing a BIOS update to a computer more or less, but with a little more procedure involved. Only time will tell if it has fixed my specific problem, but from what I have read here and on other forums it does sound like the DTS bomb.
I big thanks to JDSmoothie, I don't very often see this level of dedication on a public forum, I would have never found the update and how to apply it had you not directed me to it. I have to ask "do you have a life outside this forum" with over 33,000 posts, you just don't see that ?! It's probably all volunteer time too isn't it ? smile.gif
I am also going to call Denon Canada and find out if in fact the particular Denon service centre that I've dealt with was even sent the Star Wars Audio Drop Out update _ I was not impressed with the level of service I got from them. I never did speak directly to the technition, it was always through the receptionist. I didn't realize I had the front surrounds set to "B" and I felt I was treated a bit like moron for not seeing this and I was shuffled out the door with my AVR and less 40 bucks _ then later, them telling me that they couldn't find anything wrong.
I am just glad that I found this thread and that the update went well. cool.gif
Edited by JeffR1 - 3/15/13 at 11:06am
post #3720 of 3813
Great! Glad to hear it worked out for you. smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-2808CI Owners Thread