or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-2808CI Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Denon AVR-2808CI Owners Thread - Page 26

post #751 of 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by thsmith View Post

On page 31 Option Setup is not clear to me how to configure my fronts in bi-amp.

Do I use the Front A B-amp or B Bi amp option in the menu and what pairs of speaker outputs do I run to the front speakers?

For additional information p 31 says to go to pp 57-59 for more detail. As it goes, there are two sets of front speaker inputs that can be set up "A" and "B". Depending on which inputs you use determines whether you set up the "A" Bi-am or "B" Bi-amp.
post #752 of 3815
Thanks jdsmoothie and have looked at those pages but it is just not clear to me. I have my speakers currently bi-amped with my Pioneer.

It is really simple. I gues the whole front A and B is confusing me.

Lets assume I use Bi-AMp Front A, thats easy enough in the menu but what speaker terminals do I use?

Front A and B or Front A and Surround Back ?

Sorry, I know I sound like a NUG and I am on Denon's.
post #753 of 3815
With 2808 and 988, you use the surround back terminals to bi-amp either A or B.

Therefore you don't want to connect both terminal A and B to the same speaker.

I use both terminals, but to two different pairs of speakers.
post #754 of 3815
Excellent, thank you ! I thought my Pioneer manual was weak but after looking at the Denon I have to rethink that opinion.

Anyway, thanks ! I will try to not repeat the same old questions but this one just was not intutive to me.
post #755 of 3815
Anyone know how to get the OSD of the channel levels when using the Enter/CH Select button? According to page 50 of the manual, there is an OSD menu that shows the channel levels plus the fader, I only see the display on the 2808. I want to make sure I didn't actually change the fader level, but there seems no visual way to verify this without seeing the OSD menu shown on page 50. This does not show up for me, but all the other OSD menus do.
post #756 of 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

Anyone know how to get the OSD of the channel levels when using the Enter/CH Select button? According to page 50 of the manual, there is an OSD menu that shows the channel levels plus the fader, I only see the display on the 2808. I want to make sure I didn't actually change the fader level, but there seems no visual way to verify this without seeing the OSD menu shown on page 50. This does not show up for me, but all the other OSD menus do.

Although it certainly does show an "OSD picture" on page 50, I've never gotten it to show up on the TV either. Because the Channel Level and Fader function are reached outside of the Menu, I'm guessing this was a programmer oversight. However, you can still see all settings on the 2808 front display. After pressing Enter you can arrow down to each of the different channels and change the sound levels accordingly. The last line is Fader (Front or Rear) so apparently each set of channel changes applies to either the Front or Rear depending on which you have selected.
post #757 of 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Although it certainly does show an "OSD picture" on page 50, I've never gotten it to show up on the TV either. Because the Channel Level and Fader function are reached outside of the Menu, I'm guessing this was a programmer oversight. However, you can still see all settings on the 2808 front display. After pressing Enter you can arrow down to each of the different channels and change the sound levels accordingly. The last line is Fader (Front or Rear) so apparently each set of channel changes applies to either the Front or Rear depending on which you have selected.

Yeah I know you can see each channel and adjust the level on the unit itself. The problem is, if I recall, that if you arrow left or right when the fader is selected, I don't recall if it really shows you where it is currently set at. I am hesitant to test it b/c I don't want to change the fader off of center and not be able to see where it is set at. Has anyone tested if the fader control on the unit itself shows the actual level it is set at?

I am also not sure if these settings reset after you turn the unit off. Some units only retain the main trim levels. I would bet running Audessy resets these though.
post #758 of 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

Yeah I know you can see each channel and adjust the level on the unit itself. The problem is, if I recall, that if you arrow left or right when the fader is selected, I don't recall if it really shows you where it is currently set at. I am hesitant to test it b/c I don't want to change the fader off of center and not be able to see where it is set at. Has anyone tested if the fader control on the unit itself shows the actual level it is set at?

I am also not sure if these settings reset after you turn the unit off. Some units only retain the main trim levels. I would bet running Audessy resets these though.

You're correct. There doesn't appear to be any fader level display. You first set the channels settings (manually or via Audessy) which would be Fader at center. Then if you want to either Front ro Rear fade from that point, you click on the Fader function and it will adjust all channels (except SW) according to whether you select Front or Rear. Each right or left arrow adjusts the Fader one click in that direction. This requires you to jot down what the original settings are if you want to return to midpoint (which seems archaic to say the least).
post #759 of 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You're correct. There doesn't appear to be any fader level display. You first set the channels settings (manually or via Audessy) which would be Fader at center. Then if you want to either Front ro Rear fade from that point, you click on the Fader function and it will adjust all channels (except SW) according to whether you select Front or Rear. Each right or left arrow adjusts the Fader one click in that direction. This requires you to jot down what the original settings are if you want to return to midpoint (which seems archaic to say the least).

Exactly. I don't want the fader active at all. But since it does not show you the +-12db front/rear fader level, you are stuck with noting how many clicks you made.

I just want to be sure it is at center and it seems there is no way to do this. My only other thought is the Audessy resets this when you re-run it.
post #760 of 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

Exactly. I don't want the fader active at all. But since it does not show you the +-12db front/rear fader level, you are stuck with noting how many clicks you made.

I just want to be sure it is at center and it seems there is no way to do this. My only other thought is the Audessy resets this when you re-run it.

Yes. You'll have to run Audessy to reset all channels to what would be the "center" or zero Fade. Either that or just manually set them to where you want them.
post #761 of 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yes. You'll have to run Audessy to reset all channels to what would be the "center" or zero Fade. Either that or just manually set them to where you want them.

Good thing I will be redoing audessy anyway. I just wish with could show you the +- db level of the fader....then there would be no issue.
It makes no sense, since they obviously show you the master trim levels...why would you not show the fader in case someone had accidentally change it from center. Oh well, I doubt I changed it, but I wish there was a way to "see" the fade level.
post #762 of 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

Good thing I will be redoing audessy anyway. I just wish with could show you the +- db level of the fader....then there would be no issue.
It makes no sense, since they obviously show you the master trim levels...why would you not show the fader in case someone had accidentally change it from center. Oh well, I doubt I changed it, but I wish there was a way to "see" the fade level.

True, especially with the technology that went into this AVR, it would seem it could have been included. At the very least, as long as you use Auto Setup for Audessey and store the resulting settings you can view the resulting channel levels changes (listed in the Auto Setup - Parameter Check - Channel Level Check) and if necessary return them to their original settings using the Restore feature.
post #763 of 3815
hey all, just hooking up my 988. Currently running HDMI out to xbr4 TV, dvr via HDMI into 988, and SD DVD via component with analog audio (L/R) to 988. My speakers are not setup yet so audio is set to "TV" instead of AMP in the menu. Everything works fine with the DVR (get video and sound out of the xbr4), but with the sd dvd, the video makes it through (upscaled to 1080p), but no audio. Any thoughts? Based on this, I'm guessing the HDMI out to the TV only passes audio if it comes through and HDMI input. Is this correct or am I missing something in my setup? any input is appreciated!
post #764 of 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post

hey all, just hooking up my 988. Currently running HDMI out to xbr4 TV, dvr via HDMI into 988, and SD DVD via component with analog audio (L/R) to 988. My speakers are not setup yet so audio is set to "TV" instead of AMP in the menu. Everything works fine with the DVR (get video and sound out of the xbr4), but with the sd dvd, the video makes it through (upscaled to 1080p), but no audio. Any thoughts? Based on this, I'm guessing the HDMI out to the TV only passes audio if it comes through and HDMI input. Is this correct or am I missing something in my setup? any input is appreciated!

It only passes digital audio if it comes from a digital source (e.g HDMI, optical).
post #765 of 3815
Is there a way to change the sub channel level without having the receiver output a test tone?

or

Is there a way to set the sub level for music and movie on the same input, easily without having the receiver send a test tone.

Thanks
post #766 of 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by thsmith View Post

Is there a way to change the sub channel level without having the receiver output a test tone?

or

Is there a way to set the sub level for music and movie on the same input, easily without having the receiver send a test tone.

Thanks

Yes. See post #756.
post #767 of 3815
Thanks JD, I will give that a try tonight. I reads the manual for several days before the receiver arrived yesterday and everything went smooth except getting the componet input to display out to HDMI. FIgured that out finally and being able to EASILY change the sub channel level for music and movie was the last issue.

Thanks again, glad to see people still pay attention to this thread, seems pretty quite for the 2808CI.
post #768 of 3815
It seems to me my DIrectTV HD DVR PQ looks better running the HDMI through the 2808 going to my antique Mits WS-713625 HD RPTV HDMI. Unsoliciated my wife thinks the same thing and she never notices the difference in this sort of stuff.

All I am doing is using the receiver as a switch, does this make sence?
post #769 of 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by thsmith View Post

It seems to me my DIrectTV HD DVR PQ looks better running the HDMI through the 2808 going to my antique Mits WS-713625 HD RPTV HDMI. Unsoliciated my wife thinks the same thing and she never notices the difference in this sort of stuff.

All I am doing is using the receiver as a switch, does this make sence?

Nope. HDMI into the 2808 is simply "passed through" with no changes, however, if you and your wife do notice a difference, might as well keep it connected that way.
post #770 of 3815
Thats what I thought but its definately a better picture. Previously I did use a monoprice 4x1 HDMI switcher and maybe it was just a poor quality signal.

After having the 2808 for 48 hours now I have everything working the way I want and will start to better to understand the remote and seeing I can use it a universal remote, except for the PS3 of course.

The SQ seems better to me than the Pioneer VSX-816 the Denon replaced. The AUdessy calibration seems to work better as well. I use 6 seating positions when I first ran and I am going to try 8 positions this weekend.

Considering what I paid for it from 6ave I am very please with the 2808.
post #771 of 3815
I'm considering the 2808 in part for the upconverting...but have a question for you users...If I pass a SD tivo signal through for upconversion, will the picture quality be noticably better than letting the TV's processer scale it? I know what the terms mean, but will does the upconversion processor interpolate the image to improve pic qual when you put "garbage in"...
post #772 of 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansmatt View Post

I'm considering the 2808 in part for the upconverting...but have a question for you users...If I pass a SD tivo signal through for upconversion, will the picture quality be noticably better than letting the TV's processer scale it? I know what the terms mean, but will does the upconversion processor interpolate the image to improve pic qual when you put "garbage in"...

Nope. It just looks like garbage on a bigger scale although it depends on how well your TV upscales as to which would be better. Although originally I too had decided to upgrade to the 2808CI for the upscaling feature, in the end I found it did no better a job then did either the HD DVR or the TV itself so I don't use that feature. However, you might find more improvement given your DVR is only SD and depending on whether your TV is 720/768p or 1080p.
post #773 of 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakdaddy View Post

I am considering the purchase of the 2808CI. Is there is a way to identify a firmware number currently on the system, before I make the purchase?

The instructions I got were to hold down the STATUS and RETURN buttons on the front panel while turning on the 2808; however, I found that all I had to do was turn the 2808 on and then press the STATUS button only. Each time you press the STATUS button you'll get a new number to include: the serial number, Main firmware #, sub firmware #, and some additional numbers.
post #774 of 3815
Iv'e been trying to figure out the best possible settings for this Receiver for weeks now, I have contacted Denon Technical Support directly without much help. From that I have read from the manual and forums Here is my setup

Sony 60GB PS3
Denon AVR-988
Sony 46" XBR4
5.1 Speaker Setup
(Energy Reference Series + 12" Paradigm Subwoofer)

PS3 -> Settings -> BD / DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) -> Linear PCM
PS3 HDMI Cable plugged into HDMI 1 on the Denon
Denon HDMI cable plugged into HDMI 1 on my XBR4
Denon Set to ->Assign->HDMI
Denon Set to ->Input->HDMI
Denon Receiver set to "Pure Direct"
(Iv'e used the microphone on a tripod for automatic speaker calibration)

I only want the highest quality from this receiver to watch my Blu-Ray movies According to the manual "Pure Direct" is the mode to achieve this. Especially now that the PS3 decodes DTS HD MA, my system should now be complete Is there anything else that I can do? It seems simple but sometimes things can be missed.

By the way, I would DEFINITELY recommend using the microphone on a tripod for the automatic setup, I have a fair bit of knowledge in setting up systems and speakers using various EQ methods, however the results from the automatic setup are quite amazing. Just follow the instructions word for word
post #775 of 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by WKampff View Post

I only want the highest quality from this receiver to watch my Blu-Ray moviesā€¦ According to the manual "Pure Direct" is the mode to achieve this. Especially now that the PS3 decodes DTS HD MA, my system should now be completeā€¦ Is there anything else that I can do? It seems simple but sometimes things can be missed.

Pure Direct is a "2-channel" mode used exclusively for "music" sources. You probably want to use one of the other surround modes (depending on the source) when watching Blu-Ray movies to get the full 5 channel surround sound impact from your system.
post #776 of 3815
It took about 30 days, however, I received an email from DenonJeff yesterday with the previously mentioned (post #656) firmware update file, I must order a USB to Serial cable before I can actually apply the update. He indicated in the email that the firmware file cannot be shared or copied. Therefore if you want the update, you'll have to PM him directly as indicated in the earlier post.
post #777 of 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by WKampff View Post

Iv'e been trying to figure out the best possible settings for this Receiver for weeks now, I have contacted Denon Technical Support directly without much help. From that I have read from the manual and forums Here is my setup

Sony 60GB PS3
Denon AVR-988
Sony 46" XBR4
5.1 Speaker Setup
(Energy Reference Series + 12" Paradigm Subwoofer)

PS3 -> Settings -> BD / DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) -> Linear PCM
PS3 HDMI Cable plugged into HDMI 1 on the Denon
Denon HDMI cable plugged into HDMI 1 on my XBR4
Denon Set to ->Assign->HDMI
Denon Set to ->Input->HDMI
Denon Receiver set to "Pure Direct"
(Iv'e used the microphone on a tripod for automatic speaker calibration)

I only want the highest quality from this receiver to watch my Blu-Ray movies According to the manual "Pure Direct" is the mode to achieve this. Especially now that the PS3 decodes DTS HD MA, my system should now be complete Is there anything else that I can do? It seems simple but sometimes things can be missed.

By the way, I would DEFINITELY recommend using the microphone on a tripod for the automatic setup, I have a fair bit of knowledge in setting up systems and speakers using various EQ methods, however the results from the automatic setup are quite amazing. Just follow the instructions word for word

I have a similar setup with everything the same except my receiver is the 2808. Sounds like we have the same settings on the receiver. Not sure about the Pure Direct thou, I'll need to check on that when I get home. Interested to see what other tweaks we can apply.
post #778 of 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

It took about 30 days, however, I received an email from DenonJeff yesterday with the previously mentioned (post #656) firmware update file, I must order a USB to Serial cable before I can actually apply the update. He indicated in the email that the firmware file cannot be shared or copied. Therefore if you want the update, you'll have to PM him directly as indicated in the earlier post.

jd, what fixes or features do the update provide?

Also, this thread seems fairly quiet, is it that people are just enjoying this receiver or not much interest. I for one so far have been impressed with the SQ and features but there just does not seem to be a lot of discssion on this receiver.

Thanks,

Tracy
post #779 of 3815
Never mind on the F/W question, I just read 656 but other questions on receiver interest stands.
post #780 of 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Pure Direct is a "2-channel" mode used exclusively for "music" sources. You probably want to use one of the other surround modes (depending on the source) when watching Blu-Ray movies to get the full 5 channel surround sound impact from your system.

Are you sure about that? I've read the manual and other forums, nothing is stated about a "2 channel Pure Direct Mode"... Page # 37 (of the AVR-988 Manual) States that Pure Direct Mode is "the mode that recreates the original sound most faithfully providing extremely high quality sound." If you look at page 65 of the manual you will see a section for Pure Direct, underneath it has many options one of which is a Multi Channel Pure Direct 7.1 mode... Plus when using this option, all unnecessary circuitry is shut off (including the front display) in an attempt to achieve a "Pure" clean sound. Having tested all available options I don't believe that this mode is a "2 Channel" mode... If anyone can give me some proof that I should not use this mode I would gladly change it... After all, aren't we all after the same thing? The highest quality sound from out devices...?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-2808CI Owners Thread