or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Theater Room Items & Accessories › Custom LED Star Ceiling - Shooting Star and more!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Custom LED Star Ceiling - Shooting Star and more! - Page 2

post #31 of 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

Star Designer's solution is not, but iSkyPanel's is.

The retail for iSkyPanel's solutoin is like $4500 for 8x8! Gimmie a break.

Of a kit kat bar.

Agreed...looking at prices now on his site (Star Designer's) and it is very competitively priced.
post #32 of 624
I always wondered what my room would be like if I had one of these. Maybe in my next house I will make sure the ceiling will be taller...
post #33 of 624
156 HDS DVD dang you are owning me up
post #34 of 624
how do you actually install this set up?
post #35 of 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post

how do you actually install this set up?

What do you mean .
post #36 of 624
I don't understand how you install this into your ceiling. I've never seen anything like this before but its looks great.
post #37 of 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post

I don't understand how you install this into your ceiling. I've never seen anything like this before but its looks great.

Take a loock at my blog, starceiling.blogspot.com
post #38 of 624
Tradewinds,

What's the progress on your project. I just ordered my DIY kit this morning and look forward to getting started on a my plan for a starfield skylight box.

I plan on using a single 4x8 piece of hard foam panel from Lowes my actual size will be about 4x6. Should be fun.
post #39 of 624
Thread Starter 
man...things have been moving so slow. Been spending time doing mostly painting of the HT room. Had hoped to have finished the star ceiling this past weekend but no luck. :-(

Hopefully this coming weekend will be it.
post #40 of 624
Thread Starter 
Update:

Pic 1
Pic 2


Progress has been very slow. I just managed to paint and fill the cavity with isulation. I also painted the star panels and will now work on that.
post #41 of 624
Hi, since i got now a litle more to do with HT i want to make the star system a bit more advanced. I have bean asked if the Controller can be controlled via RF.

At this point , no only IR. But i want to change that.
To start with that i have got a MX 3000 remote, and i had to find out, that
the Control cant do direct RF and also some other high value remotes.

I will start t find out what it takes to interface direct with my controller via RF.
I also found out that most HT people have to use a IR to x10 translator to switch lights. And only in the room where the remote is.

So i would like some feed back on ,
if it would be nice to have direct RF link to sitches and other gadgets.
If so i would star a bigger reserch and would start a new thead for that.

Best regards
Stardesigner
post #42 of 624
Hello All.

Just wanted to give props to StarDesigner for helping me walk thru and set up my star ceiling purchase.
I received 3 light units a controller and lots of fiber to get started.
I played around with the lights last night and everything works as stated. I have on unit that is independent of the other 2 for different effects (ie galaxy/constellations etc). The custom controllability of this system is what sets it apart from others (and the support!)
StarDesigner was always quick to reply to emails and very helpful.
Now the hard part of putting it all up in my starbox over the next month.
Ill Post pics on the thread after completion.
The IR works well but RF or x10 would be great!!
post #43 of 624
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDesigner View Post

Hi, since i got now a litle more to do with HT i want to make the star system a bit more advanced. I have bean asked if the Controller can be controlled via RF.

At this point , no only IR. But i want to change that.
To start with that i have got a MX 3000 remote, and i had to find out, that
the Control cant do direct RF and also some other high value remotes.

I will start t find out what it takes to interface direct with my controller via RF.
I also found out that most HT people have to use a IR to x10 translator to switch lights. And only in the room where the remote is.

So i would like some feed back on ,
if it would be nice to have direct RF link to sitches and other gadgets.
If so i would star a bigger reserch and would start a new thead for that.

Best regards
Stardesigner

RF would be great. I am still trying to figure out how to position the IR and the card in the star box. Will try some different ways and see which works best.
post #44 of 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post

RF would be great. I am still trying to figure out how to position the IR and the card in the star box. Will try some different ways and see which works best.

I don't have my kit yet (it's on its way ), but I intend to put the control card inside my projector bay which will have an IR extender cable and be accessible if ever needed. I'll run the cat5 power cable through the ceiling and out inside the star skylight. Then simply connect it to the light units. This way the control card is easily accessible in the future if ever needed.
post #45 of 624
Just wanted to report that I just received my kit from Stardesigner. Contents appear to be in perfect condition and everything was delivered as promised. I had few interactions with Stardesigner via email and they quickly responded with any questions or concerns. It has been a pleasure dealing with them and I look foward to assembling my Star skylight. I will post pics of my project as I proceed with it I will probably be getting started this weekend with it.

Also thanks go to tragewinds for heads up on this product.
post #46 of 624
Thread Starter 
Hi oman, you had mentioned an IR extender cable. Can you post a link to somewhere that sells one. The IR repeaters I am finding are a bit expensive. Thanks.
post #47 of 624
My plan is to install the buffalo IR unit
http://www.smarthome.com/8191.html

From this unit I would use one of the flasher ports to connect a standard emitter, which I will cut in half and extend with cat 5 cable.
http://www.smarthome.com/8170s.html

At the other will be the emitter in my projector bay. One flasher should hopefully work for both control unit and the projector, if not they have emitters which flood the area with a signal or they also sell two headed emitters.
post #48 of 624
Just thought I'd mention that for an IR repeater I use these.
http://www.smarthome.com/8210.html

I've had them for about 2 years now, they work great. I use them to control my cable DVR from my bedroom on the second floor. The DVR is in the family room on the first floor. You can use as is to flash all your equipment or on the repeat unit you can attach one of the emitters I mentioned above if you want to hide it, and simply attach the emitter to a particular piece of equipment. You might find it a bit cheaper on e-bay. Good luck.
post #49 of 624
What you recommend? I have access to the celing from the attic or I can make celing tiles. If I go the tile route what kind of materials should i make them out of?
post #50 of 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by etexas View Post

What you recommend? I have access to the celing from the attic or I can make celing tiles. If I go the tile route what kind of materials should i make them out of?

Hi, i make them out of fiber board MDF,
I would any way recomend using pannels, to directly drill a ceiling and threat true from the attic is a verry hard job.

Best regards
Stardesigner
post #51 of 624
Great site and great idea!

I have a quick question. How many Star Bundles (5 feet each) will a SCD LED Light Units hold?

Do you have other bundles of fiber? Example Bundle of 50 .5 ?

I have an 184 sqft dome ceiling I am looking to do sometime early next year. I will be running the fiber in the attic and I am trying to put together some rough pricing for my budget .

Thank you,
-Matt
post #52 of 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsshack View Post

Great site and great idea!

I have a quick question. How many Star Bundles (5 feet each) will a SCD LED Light Units hold?

Do you have other bundles of fiber? Example Bundle of 50 .5 ?

I have an 184 sqft dome ceiling I am looking to do sometime early next year. I will be running the fiber in the attic and I am trying to put together some rough pricing for my budget .

Thank you,
-Matt

Hi Matt,
The SCD light units can hold 4 times our star bundle cable.
Yes you can get a premade bundles of 0.5mm fiber. Just buy 1000 feet of 0.5mm fiber, and you will get 20 feet of 50* 0.5mm fiber bundle.

Best regards
Stardesigner
post #53 of 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDesigner View Post

Hi Matt,
The SCD light units can hold 4 times our star bundle cable.
Yes you can get a premade bundles of 0.5mm fiber. Just buy 1000 feet of 0.5mm fiber, and you will get 20 feet of 50* 0.5mm fiber bundle.

Best regards
Stardesigner


Great thank you. A few last questions then I will email you about specifics.

First you will bundle the 20 foot section? Or would we cut the 50 strands to make the bundle?

Second does the Star Bundle come in any other size?

Third: I noticed on the shooting star module it says click here to calculate how much fiber you need, however it is not a link. Do you have a working link for this?

I am still in the process of measuring and calculating exactly what I need.
Thank you again!
-Matt
post #54 of 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsshack View Post

Great thank you. A few last questions then I will email you about specifics.

First you will bundle the 20 foot section? Or would we cut the 50 strands to make the bundle?

Second does the Star Bundle come in any other size?

Third: I noticed on the shooting star module it says click here to calculate how much fiber you need, however it is not a link. Do you have a working link for this?

I am still in the process of measuring and calculating exactly what I need.
Thank you again!
-Matt

Hi,
i would bundle the fiber for you thats our service.
So we have 3 sizes 0.5 , 0.75, 1 mm just let me know by mail what kind of bundle you want , exam. 20x 0.5 - 10x 0.75- 15x 1mm and then i can make
the bundle for you and calculate the price for it.

jep the link dosent work, i hadent had time to make the calculator ,
But here is a good idea of how it works:

The shooting star has 16 leds and each led should drive 1-20 stars.
Lets say you want a shooting star 50 inck long, you would need about 100 ft fiber. and each led would drive 3 or 4 fibers. so every inch a fiber.

But you not limited in a staright line of stars, a comet or spiral galaxy would work wit this module.

i will make a photo tutorial on instaling the shooting star coming soon

Best regards
Stardesigner
post #55 of 624
Just an update,

I made some good progress today with my project. I made a frame for my Star skylight out of 2x3's laid flat. I was then able to secure it to my ceiling with the assistance of my kids. I bought a 4x8 styrofoam board from Lowe's which is very stiff yet very light. It is basically an insulating panel. I cut it down to 4X6 which will be the size of skylight. On the scrap pieces I tested out attaching some cloth with spray adhesive. Worked like a charm.

What I intend to do after predrilling, attaching the cloth with adhesive, and threading the fiber; is to attach 1X4 project wood to the side of the frame with crown moulding on top of that. Then the panel will fit inside of the 1x4's just below the primary frame leaving a gap for the light units. Then I intend to use corner molding with velcro attached to the inside of the 1X4's to hold the panel in place. This way if I ever need access to the light units it should be no problem.

I will attach some photos in the next couple of days but I have to create a photo account so that I don't have to do the attachments.
post #56 of 624
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

I bought a 4x8 styrofoam board from Lowe's which is very stiff yet very light. It is basically an insulating panel. I cut it down to 4X6 which will be the size of skylight. On the scrap pieces I tested out attaching some cloth with spray adhesive. Worked like a charm.

I wanted to try the styrofoam instead of the very heavy hardiboard but was somewhat concern of long term durability and potential sagging. I was just not sure how to support the middle for the large sections I have.

Sounds like for your size it will work out well. Good luck.
post #57 of 624
I began mine this past weekend. I'm using 3-8X4 ft. 1/8 inch hardboard (pegboard with out the holes ). I am using firring strips glued and pneumatically stapled to the panels around the perimeter and one cross brace in the center. I used two EG-PACK48 cables per 8X4 foot panel. Because of the distance to the CoolSky LED unit my furthest panel used 30 feet of cable. I ordered an additional 45 feet today. I finished one and have two more to do. My star field will be 8 x 12 feet when finished. It was fun to do, I will definitely need help installing them to the ceiling. I'm thinking a drywall lift to get it positioned. I'll probably use dry wall screws to attach to the ceiling.
post #58 of 624
Sounds like a plan HeyNow. Hadn't seen that type of material around probably a good alternative if things don't go my way with the foam board. That's gonna be one serious starfield, sweet...

I went with the size I have because the room lighiting had already been configured with 4" recessed lighting as well as HVAC vents. 4X6 fits nicely within these obstacles.
post #59 of 624
As promised, here are some pics of what I've done so far.

Room Before


Styrofoam Board


4X6 Frame


Frame pre-drilled for toggle bolts 3 on each 6 foot side 1 in the middle of the 4 foot sides. First secured by 3" screws to strapping at the 4 corners.


Material cut to frame size


Cloth and adhesive tests


Sticks fine


attached to ceiling


primed it


Cat5 for light unit pulled through
post #60 of 624
Projector bay where control card will be placed


Cat5 pulled from projector bay to behind where the screen will be for LED lights. This will showcase speakers behind AT screen.


More to follow in the near future hopefully.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Theater Room Items & Accessories › Custom LED Star Ceiling - Shooting Star and more!