or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Dual Format Players › LG GGC-H20LI Hybrid Bluray/HD-DVD Reader (PC Drive) is out and cheap! $299!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG GGC-H20LI Hybrid Bluray/HD-DVD Reader (PC Drive) is out and cheap! $299! - Page 11

post #301 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Klinger View Post

No issues?

I have played HDDVD/BD from a USB HDD and have not had any issues whatsoever.
post #302 of 327
Anyone used this drive with advanced audio? I've never reseaeched it a lot, but can you do the loseless audio from the PC (even if it requires an advanced sound card of some kind). I've been an HD DVD support, with 30 odd HD DVDs. I'd love to hvae a dual format system and have been debating using this drive in a media center PC. However, I am interested in the advance audio formats available on both systems and if I spend the money on this as the solution, I'd prefer to be able to do it.
post #303 of 327
Yes you can do the lossless audio on the PC. With the latest version of PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 (build 3730) lossless sounds great (I'm using analog from my soundcard - Creative X-Fi).
post #304 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

Yes you can do the lossless audio on the PC. With the latest version of PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 (build 3730) lossless sounds great (I'm using analog from my soundcard - Creative X-Fi).

Awesome man, thanks for the info.
post #305 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post

I'm not sure PowerDVD plays files. I may be wrong, however. If you backtrack in this thread, you might find this question addressed.

I'm not sure it was addressed in this thread but indeed PowerDVD ultra can no longer play HD files ripped to the hard drive. That capability was recently removed by the manufacturer after receiving pressure from the film industry. So, to play HD movies ripped to the hard drive you must either:

1) create a .iso image file, mount the drive w/ daemon tools and playback with PDVD)

or

2) use an older version of PDVD to play files ripped to the hard drive


There are several threads discussing this on the AVSForum.
post #306 of 327
Anyone else having trouble with this drive combined with PowerDVD Ultra 7 and BD+ titles?

I just bought my first Blu-Ray title (Live Free or Die Hard) and I have had nothing but trouble with playing the disk. My last situation is that I get the menu to play the disk and I can't actually select the PLAY MOVIE option.

Makes it hard to watch it!
post #307 of 327
Are you using the Ultra that came with the drive and did it update?
post #308 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by taeboguy View Post

Anyone else having trouble with this drive combined with PowerDVD Ultra 7 and BD+ titles?

I just bought my first Blu-Ray title (Live Free or Die Hard) and I have had nothing but trouble with playing the disk. My last situation is that I get the menu to play the disk and I can't actually select the PLAY MOVIE option.

Makes it hard to watch it!

I've had no difficulty with BD titles, including Live Free or Die Hard, which I rented. I'm using the PowerDVD that came with the drive, and which I updated.

marty
post #309 of 327
Has anyone had any issues with this drive not working? Specifically, the drive disappearing. In the BIOS is sees it fine, and it boots up okay, but eventually it disappears and it's as if it's not even connected anymore. Though it still opens and closes.

I've asked Newegg for a replacement and I'm waiting their reply. I think I might have a defective unit.
post #310 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Six-Pack View Post

Has anyone had any issues with this drive not working? Specifically, the drive disappearing. In the BIOS is sees it fine, and it boots up okay, but eventually it disappears and it's as if it's not even connected anymore. Though it still opens and closes.

I've asked Newegg for a replacement and I'm waiting their reply. I think I might have a defective unit.

More likely you have a SATA controller or driver problem.
post #311 of 327
Joe-Six-Pack, are you on vista and running ahci by any chance? Could be this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928253
post #312 of 327
After reading a couple of the posts in this thread I decided to get that SATA card and give that a try. I really hope it works. We'll see.
post #313 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Are you using the Ultra that came with the drive and did it update?

I upgraded to the Ultra edition. As far as I can tell I am on the latest release.

I am getting horrible stuttering issues on the video during playback. No trouble on the audio. Also it looks as though it is not isolated to BD. I thought it was but it is doing it on DVD and HD-DVD as well.
post #314 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by taeboguy View Post

I upgraded to the Ultra edition. As far as I can tell I am on the latest release.

I am getting horrible stuttering issues on the video during playback. No trouble on the audio. Also it looks as though it is not isolated to BD. I thought it was but it is doing it on DVD and HD-DVD as well.

What's your system? Do you have enough muscle in there to run high-def video?
post #315 of 327
I think my problem was solved with the SATA PCI card! I only tested a regular DVD at lunch, but it's actuallly working and that's something it didn't do before!
post #316 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post

What's your system? Do you have enough muscle in there to run high-def video?

Here is what I have......I think my deficency is the video card.

Asus P5E-VM HDMI
Intel E8400 Processor
2 gb 800 MHz DDR2 ram
500 gb Sata II drive
Vista Ultimate
LG HD-DVD/BD combo drive

I am using the onboard HDMI video and have the bios configured to dedicate 256mb of the 2 gb onboard ram to the video playback.
I think that I really need a dedicated GFX card.

Thoughts?
post #317 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by taeboguy View Post

Here is what I have......I think my deficency is the video card.

Asus P5E-VM HDMI
Intel E8400 Processor
2 gb 800 MHz DDR2 ram
500 gb Sata II drive
Vista Ultimate
LG HD-DVD/BD combo drive

I am using the onboard HDMI video and have the bios configured to dedicate 256mb of the 2 gb onboard ram to the video playback.
I think that I really need a dedicated GFX card.

Thoughts?

I would agree. Also, you're bleeding off necessary ram from vista to run your on-board video. Maybe go to an Asus forum, like the one here, and get some feedback re. your board and using the on-board video:

http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

That's a great cpu you've got. For my htpc, I've got the gigabyte ds2r with on-board video, but I installed an 8800GT OC, so I've got lots of oomph (plus an e6750, raptor OS drive, Spinpoint storage drive, Turtle Beach Montego DDL audio card). Plus, I wanted a HTPC that could game as well. For Blu-ray and HD playback, I've had perfect playback so far, no so much as a burp, and I think that's a combination of my cpu plus my video card. So depending on what feedback you get from others, you might want to consider a dedicated video card. Now maybe there is something else going wrong and causing the stuttering. That's where the Asus forum might be very helpful, as hopefully there will be others with your same mobo and who can confirm or disconfirm. Good luck. BTW, I'm one of the gigabyte mods at that forum, where I go by Alex666.

marty
post #318 of 327
Bestbuy Canada is listing the GGW writer for 350(no stock but will ship when available). I wish I waited instead of getting the GGC reader.
post #319 of 327
Tiger Direct stores (at least in the Toronto and GTA) are removing their stock for the clearance price of $164.97 for those who are interested (down from 189.99). Installs with no problem as mentioned in the forum. Am using Nero 8 with HD-Plugin as the included software is limited. Best deal for a dual format unit for a HTPC.
post #320 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck-eh! View Post

Tiger Direct stores (at least in the Toronto and GTA) are removing their stock for the clearance price of $164.97 for those who are interested (down from 189.99). Installs with no problem as mentioned in the forum. Am using Nero 8 with HD-Plugin as the included software is limited. Best deal for a dual format unit for a HTPC.

Geez, that's about half of what I paid US back in December. Well, HD-DVD is dead, so I'm not surprised. BTW, I've had absolutely no problems with the included software. Very easy installation, and it runs both HD and BR just fine.

marty
post #321 of 327
Great player but like all hardware the price changes to market conditions.
post #322 of 327
Can I connect the ggc-h20 to my Plasma TV and play a bluray or HDVD or is this for PC use only.























































































hd
post #323 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by merinio View Post

Can I connect the ggc-h20 to my Plasma TV and play a bluray or HDVD or is this for PC use only.

Did you fall asleep on your Enter key?

This is a PC SATA drive. You'd have to build a HTPC to output to your TV.
post #324 of 327
Hi Everyone,

Recently, i just purchase a LG GGC h20L combo drive. My system passed the requirement for hi def (verify by CyberLink Advisor). and also use the Powerdvd 8 Ultra software. In win xp pack2. It plays Blue Ray disc fine. but can't read HD DVD disc. However, It can play HD DVD. but can't read Blue ray disc when i using win Vista 32 bits (same system but different hard drive) This makes me crazy!! Very much appreciated for your helps and info to fix this problem.

DDavs
post #325 of 327
Didn't Cyberlink remove HD DVD playback with PowerDVD 8?
post #326 of 327
Do you know what software right now in the market can play both format ?? Thanks
post #327 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by grucl View Post

Didn't Cyberlink remove HD DVD playback with PowerDVD 8?

Yes. But there are some hacks around that you can make it to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavs View Post

Do you know what software right now in the market can play both format ?? Thanks

Not 100% but I think TMT can still do that but not long. Check with the guys there.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dual Format Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Dual Format Players › LG GGC-H20LI Hybrid Bluray/HD-DVD Reader (PC Drive) is out and cheap! $299!