or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › HD Radio › Nighttime HD AM Stations heard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nighttime HD AM Stations heard

post #1 of 63
Thread Starter 
It would be nice to have a list of AM stations known to be broadcasting HD at night.

I would like to start this thread to inform everyone interested in receiving nighttime HD AM stations.

Please post your AM HD station(s) heard, local or distant.

Note: Nighttime HD broadcasting is defined as meaning the AM station was heard -

A) broadcasting HD at least 1 hour after local sunset at the transmitter site.
OR
B) broadcasting HD at least 1 hour before local sunrise at the transmitter site.
____________________________________________________________ ______
post #2 of 63
Thread Starter 
WTSO 1070 kHz - Madison, WI
heard after 10pm CDT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTSO
post #3 of 63
WABC 770 kHz New York City, NY (380 miles East of Akron OH)
heard at 5:40 AM while mobile in Akron Ohio EDT 9/25/07
HD lock lasted at least 2 minutes including recoveries after over passes on highway.

WTAM 1100 kHz AM Cleveland, OH
dependable night time HD coverage for Akron and Cleveland
post #4 of 63
1240 WMMB, Melbourne, Florida
post #5 of 63
http://www.ibiquity.com Click on "Find a Station".
post #6 of 63
semoochie . . . that doesn't help, in that it does not indicate whether the station is on at night.

Anyway:

KOGO 600 San Diego
KSPN 710 Los Angeles
KABC 790 Los Angeles
KGO 810 San Francisco*
KFWB 980 Los Angeles
KNX 1070 Los Angeles
KDIS 1110 Pasadena
KSL 1160 Salt Lake City*
KFBK 1530 Sacramento*

The *'s indicate that the HD indicator came on, but I couldn't get a lock. So technically, I didn't "hear" them.

Also . . .
KBRT 740 Avalon, CA
broadcasts at their nighttime authorization from 6 AM to sunrise (only), which is technically nighttime HD, but doesn't meet the OP's criteria.
post #7 of 63
I didn't know if this constitutes a Wikipedia article, so I created a Wikia scratchpad article..

go at it folks:
http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/AM_...sting_at_Night
post #8 of 63
Here in Colorado Springs, CO on an HD-100 with Terk AM Advantage antenna:
I can get locks on KFAB, 1110 in Omaha and WHO, 1040 in Des Moines. It looks until a fade and then returns.

The Terk antenna made a big change in reception quality on local distant reception as well. Denver stations: KHOW, 630 and KLZ, 560 now lock and hold during the daytime whereas would only try to lock before. I can get KKZN, 760 to go full scale on the RF meter and be listenable and flash the HD light, before it was barely listenable.
post #9 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Clark View Post

It would be nice to have a list of AM stations known to be broadcasting HD at night.

I would like to start this thread to inform everyone interested in receiving nighttime HD AM stations.

Please post your AM HD station(s) heard, local or distant.

Note: Nighttime HD broadcasting is defined as meaning the AM station was heard -

A) broadcasting HD at least 1 hour after local sunset at the transmitter site.
OR
B) broadcasting HD at least 1 hour before local sunrise at the transmitter site.

Paul - Try this site: http://topazdesigns.com/iboc/ It is ran by Barry McLarnon, a great guy and an avid AM DX'er. It is a "work in progress" as listners chime in with yeas and nays on Nightime IBOC/HD.

I am a AM DX'er myself and I use Barry's "fuzzy logic" website to help with unidentifed stations. The fuzzy logic part helps with "sound alike" calls, such as I thought I heard WTOE and the fuzzy might reveal something like WDOB (imaginary calls, just an example). http://www.topazdesigns.com/ambc/

If you are interested in AM DX, google NRC or IRCA. The WTFDA (World TV and FM DXing Association) has a side mailing list for AM DX. Be warned, most folks there are anti-IBOC, but friendly and helpful as heck.

Yes the iBiquity site does not contain Nightime (aka 24/7) IBOC information and truthfully, I think that their site doesn't have the most complete / accurate info. You might gather that I'm not pro-IBOC, especially on AM. That is for another thread and another time.
post #10 of 63
Is it possible to get a lock on an AM HD with only one of the sidebands? All the distant stations I've been able to get (KGO, KSL) have strong stations on one side of their analog signal. The other side is open enough that I can hear the hash and get an ID, but no audio.
post #11 of 63
I haven't personally been able to get a lock on DX HD AM yet but I have noticed tonight that a lot of signals that I was previously unable to pickup are there tonight, although I am noticing a strange whine in the background of the audio(maybe thats just something bouncing around in the atmosphere) and the band keeps shifting from one part of the country to another( I.E. Cleveland's WTAM 1100 to Chicago's WLS 890 and WBBM 780 and then to Buffalo's WGY 810) anyone else have any reports tonight?
post #12 of 63
In NYC area I am getting the following AM NYC Stations broadcasting HD at night now.

710 WOR AM HD
770 WABC AM HD
880 WCBS AM HD

I think they were on at least a week ago from tonight. I've not been listening to AM HD for awhile and just spot checked last week and tonight. Figured I'd post this info FWIW.
post #13 of 63
Look! Look! Just as I say all this, I got WLS in HD for a brief period of time, I took a picture of it but the HD symbol is no longer there just the letters.
LL
post #14 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_N_T View Post

Look! Look! Just as I say all this, I got WLS in HD for a brief period of time, I took a picture of it but the HD symbol is no longer there just the letters.

T_N_T Congrats on the lock of WLS. The farthest AM HD lock that I have seen reported amongst DX'ers East of the Rockies is about 600 miles. You are pretty close. I really think that AM HD DX and even consistent local reception of AM HD is dependent on the upper atmosphere (D, E and F layers). I live in Indy and if the conditions are auroral at all, I can not even hear most of the Chi town AM stations which is unbelievable at only 142 miles. If they are missing from the dial, I usually get Cuba. There are also Latins covering the other Eastern Clears.

Quote:


I am noticing a strange whine in the background of the audio(maybe thats just something bouncing around in the atmosphere)

The whine that you are hearing is probably a sub audio hetrodyne from the monster 300 KW station from Algeria on 891 KHz. From my modest portables, I have never heard audio out of this station but it often "beats up" WLS with that annoying hetrodyne whine or whistle. I even here the whine on my car radio, when listening to WLS @ night.

I know that this has gone off topic but AM HD reception is very fickle, depending on conditions. If the receivers eventually get better or full DSP (Digital Signal Processing) instead of decades old analog IF filtering techniques, it may make it better.

Dave
post #15 of 63
WTIC 1080 AM in Hartford CT has HD on at night.
post #16 of 63
I'll e-mail Ibiquity and see if I can get them to include the nighttime information.
post #17 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhascall View Post

T_N_T Congrats on the lock of WLS. The farthest AM HD lock that I have seen reported amongst DX'ers East of the Rockies is about 600 miles. You are pretty close. I really think that AM HD DX and even consistent local reception of AM HD is dependent on the upper atmosphere (D, E and F layers). I live in Indy and if the conditions are auroral at all, I can not even hear most of the Chi town AM stations which is unbelievable at only 142 miles. If they are missing from the dial, I usually get Cuba. There are also Latins covering the other Eastern Clears.



The whine that you are hearing is probably a sub audio hetrodyne from the monster 300 KW station from Algeria on 891 KHz. From my modest portables, I have never heard audio out of this station but it often "beats up" WLS with that annoying hetrodyne whine or whistle. I even here the whine on my car radio, when listening to WLS @ night.

I know that this has gone off topic but AM HD reception is very fickle, depending on conditions. If the receivers eventually get better or full DSP (Digital Signal Processing) instead of decades old analog IF filtering techniques, it may make it better.

Dave

And this was with the "out-of-the-box" antenna on my Accurian HD radio, I think I found it's "sweet spot" because I was getting a lot of signals I normally can't receive and my local WLAC 1510 HD was staying locked during the span of time I was listening to it.
post #18 of 63
What should I try to get a lock on next? Any suggestions?

Side question:

Do you think WLS would give me a QSL card if I sent them that picture? That would be cool.
post #19 of 63
I picked up a Hash and ID on WHAS just a few minutes ago, but no lock. went through the band twice, but didn't find anything else besides the locals. I was pretty surprised that I could get the hash on whas, but not the chicago stations as they come in pretty good here.

BTW, three locals here are in HD at night, with one of them being a 50KW station...

WJR 760 (50KW)
WWJ 950 and 910 AM (not sure of the callsign, disney radio)

I think the storms in the region were hampering my efforts to lock onto the chicago stations, heard a lot of lightning interference. Will try again soon.
post #20 of 63
AM nighttime HD broadcasts confirmed:
580 KMJ Fresno, Cal.
810 KGO San Francisco, Cal.
910 KNEW San Francisco, Cal. (seems lower power than in the daytime; digital reception is not consistent though it is fine in daylight).
1050 KTCT San Francisco, Cal. (may identify as KNBR, its sister station at 680 that is not in HD).
post #21 of 63
WCCO 830 kHz Minneapolis MN is broadcasting in HD tonight.
post #22 of 63
I don't have an HD radio, but here in DC, I can hear hash next to two stations:

570 WTNT Bethesda, MD (more like Germantown, a suburb about 25 miles NW of downtown DC) / 1,000 watts "highly directional" toward DC -- please
980 WTEM Washington, DC / 5,000 watts, mostly aimed away from Fairfax County, the DC area's most populous county!

Both stations are owned by Clear Channel, by the way.
__________________________

So far, there are two major signals that have been online in HD, yet don't do HD at night:

630 WMAL Washington / 5,000 watts that actually provide pretty good service to DC, Fairfax Co., and most of the rest of the immediate suburbs. There's a daytime HD signal, but no nighttime HD so far.
1500 WWWT Washington / 50,000 watts aimed away from Fairfax County (though an FM signal covers them). They used to air an HD daytime signal, then took the HD off entirely for some reason.

Both of these stations aren't owned by Clear Channel.
post #23 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_N_T View Post

And this was with the "out-of-the-box" antenna on my Accurian HD radio, I think I found it's "sweet spot" because I was getting a lot of signals I normally can't receive and my local WLAC 1510 HD was staying locked during the span of time I was listening to it.

Cool. A guy in Toronto got a lock on WLAC about 10 days ago.

I think that you will find that as fall and winter set in, you may find even better conditions (as long as the auroras don't fire up). In the summer, electrical storms hundreds (thousands?) of miles away can not only be heard as static crashes, I think that the RF that they produce desensitizes the band. As fall moves in, things stablize and the night time skywave intensifies and is longer lived.

CCrane sells some nice AM antenna "upgrades."

Dave
post #24 of 63
Jim1348 - Woah!!! Yay for 'CCO. I'm 90 miles away from it here in north Rochester, but when I had my long wire antenna up, I could get full signal bars on my Sangean ATS-909.

Last I knew, people were unable to get an actual audio lock, just the call letters. Anyone gotten an audio lock yet?
post #25 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post

Jim1348 - Woah!!! Yay for 'CCO. I'm 90 miles away from it here in north Rochester, but when I had my long wire antenna up, I could get full signal bars on my Sangean ATS-909.

Last I knew, people were unable to get an actual audio lock, just the call letters. Anyone gotten an audio lock yet?

I did get an HD lock on WLS, but it didn't last for more than a minute,don't know if I got a lock on KMOX because I stepped away from the radio too long, strange that I got a lock on WLS nearly five hundred miles away, there were some good(and stange) band conditions as I said during that night that I picked up WLS.
LL
post #26 of 63
I can pick pick up WJR 760 from here fairly decently. I might try and get the letters, I don't know if I can get a pic of the HD lock because I might be gone during the time it is being recieved.
post #27 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_N_T View Post

What should I try to get a lock on next? Any suggestions?

Side question:

Do you think WLS would give me a QSL card if I sent them that picture? That would be cool.

They probably would QSL for that! This is a new phase of AM DX'ing. You may even get a letter instead of a card, since this is a new era. Also, they are trying to silence the doubters (which includes myself). Congrats, again!

Dave
post #28 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_N_T View Post

I can pick pick up WJR 760 from here fairly decently. I might try and get the letters, I don't know if I can get a pic of the HD lock because I might be gone during the time it is being recieved.

Probably for a while. They've mysteriously stopped doing HD at night. My CE says it's because WJR's HD was making it tough for people in Pennsylvania to receive WABC. Don't know if there's any truth to that.

Doc
post #29 of 63
Well, WJR's on 760 and WABC is on 770, so it's possible. I wonder how 780 WBBM/Chicago hurts things for WABC?
post #30 of 63
Thread Starter 
Are there any more confirmed nighttime AM HD reception reports?
____________________________

560 KLZ - Denver CO
580 KMJ - Fresno CA
810 KGO - San Francisco CA
910 KNEW - San Francisco CA
600 KOGO - San Diego CA
630 KHOW - Denver CO
710 KSPN - Los Angeles CA
710 WOR - New York NY
740 KBRT - Avalon CA
760 WJR - Detroit MI
770 WABC - New York NY
790 KABC - Los Angeles CA
830 WCCO - Minneapolis MN
880 WCBS - New York NY
890 WLS - Chicago IL
910 WFDF - Detroit MI
950 WWJ - Detroit MI
980 KFWB - Los Angeles CA
1040 WHO - Des Moines IA
1050 KTCT- San Francisco CA
1070 KNX - Los Angeles CA
1070 WTSO - Madison, WI
1080 WTIC - Hartford CT
1100 WTAM - Cleveland OH
1110 KDIS - Pasadena CA
1110 KFAB - Omaha NE
1240 WMMB - Melbourne FL
_____________________________

The above list is what I have complied so far from all of the responses in this thread. If your reception report does not appear above it is because you have not idicated that you have obtaind an "HD" lock on your receiver from the station during nighttime hours at the transmitter site - see first post in this thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD Radio
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › HD Radio › Nighttime HD AM Stations heard