or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › DirecTV HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DirecTV HDTV - Page 5

post #121 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard korsgren View Post

...and, I agree. Directv is now doing a very good job of bringing us HD. It is now up to the programmers (channels such as A and E and TVT, etc.) to wake up and start doing HD correctly. If they have to do a 4 x 3 program, that is ok..just do it correctly. When others are doing it correctly, I see no valid reason why a few channels are not showing a HD (16 x 9) program correctly. So, let us begin to write to these programmers who need to do HD correctly.

Which is why I posted this..

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=914106
post #122 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionary View Post

How does your response negate his impression. If most of the "new HD channels" that they are broadcasting are upscaled/stretched SD, then the channels may be mostly unimpressive. That doesn't mean the service is unimpressive, just the content that is available right now. FWIW, just about everybody, since the launch of TNT-HD, has denigrated it as a poor excuse for HD (A&E is even poorer) due to its incredibly low bit-rate and really awful upscaling/stretching. General impressions are that many of these "HD channels" are doing the same thing for the time being (which isn't that big of a surprise).

Also, not good to antagonize the "old farts" with noobish suggestions like "get a new TV if you can't tell the difference."



Thanks, Tim

I guess I was expecting miraculous transformation of all the non-HD HD channels.

I'm done now


bob
post #123 of 14741
This may have been covered before but with all the action I may have missed it. Golf and Versus have merged into one hd channel. Two questions:
Why?
and
How is programming for either channel going to be affected? Does a hockey game beat out a golf match for hd viewing?
post #124 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionary View Post

...not good to antagonize the "old farts" with noobish suggestions like "get a new TV if you can't tell the difference."

How about "get an ISF calibration if you can't tell the difference"?
post #125 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

What an incredibly clownish, uninformed thing to say. None of the MPEG4 channels are "HDLITE", and if you see the "typical" zoom/stretch "BS", it's the fault of the channel provider, not the channel carrier. But I've read your other posts, so I guess THE SKY IS STILL FALLING!

I agree with you!
post #126 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoe View Post

This may have been covered before but with all the action I may have missed it. Golf and Versus have merged into one hd channel. Two questions:
Why?
and
How is programming for either channel going to be affected? Does a hockey game beat out a golf match for hd viewing?

Tell me is Golf any less boring in HD?
post #127 of 14741
That doesn't make a lot of sense. HD content providers without carriage have little motivation to produce HD content. I think if anything D*'s carriage will 'put them on notice' that they can't just say HD, now it actually has to be done.

Additionally just because a provider stretches some content doesn't mean they're stretching it all. I agree it really stinks to see how little HD is on some 'HD' channels but refusing to provide carriage is definitely not going to encourage more HD content.



Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcaste View Post

I think he wants D* to provide purely/mostly MPEG4, and if they're feeding us zoom/stretch channels, D* should hold off on the broadcast. The fact that they're relaying these signals to their customers means that they're being condescending and in a way manipulative.



Attacking immaturity with immaturity? "Rolleyes" hardly gets the point across.
post #128 of 14741
I just called Directv about Starz HD channels showing channel not purchased. The CSR reset my service a few times, had me reset my service a few times, and finally dropped my programming package and added it again. None of these worked so she checked the HD boxes in there call center and said they couldn't even bring the channels up there and said it must be a problem witht the satellite. Is anyone receiving these channels?
post #129 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz View Post

Own two H20's. Slim line dish. Northeast PA resident. Latest software upgrade. Gone through setup more times then I can count.

I've had the 771 error since this entire implementation of these new HD channels. Cold boots, warm boots, reseating the BBC's, spent an hour with D*'s tech support and nothing but that searching for satellite 771 error. HD lite subscriber since the dino's roamed the earth. Patience will prevail unless someone has a silver bullet.

I just called D* and shockingly got through in less than 5 minutes. I am not even getting test channel 480 to work so there must be an issue with one of my converters or one of the LNB connections. Signal strengths are coming back fine. Tech guy is coming in the morning.
post #130 of 14741
Good point. No matter how much you spend on your set if you can't tell the difference something is out of adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxman View Post

How about "get an ISF calibration if you can't tell the difference"?
post #131 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

I will when HD is really HD. Do you even have an HD set?? Prescription glasses need updating?


bob

In this year of 2007, many programs on HDNET and programs such as 'Sunrise', and network programs, and sports on ESPN and programs on Smithsonion are as good as HD tv will be. Of course, 30 years from now, things will look better when we go to wider formats and 4 times the 'dots' we have today. It is true, a number of programmers are slow to do HD correctly but this has nothing to do with Directv. Write to these programmers and tell them of your complaints. Directv is now doing its' part. MPEG4 (done correctly) is as good as HD will get for many years. Many pieces go to make up the complete puzzle of HD. Directv is one piece of this complex puzzle. If all the pieces are fitting together, HD (2007), can look excellent and very pleasing to the senses.
post #132 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

I just called Directv about Starz HD channels showing channel not purchased. The CSR reset my service a few times, had me reset my service a few times, and finally dropped my programming package and added it again. None of these worked so she checked the HD boxes in there call center and said they couldn't even bring the channels up there and said it must be a problem witht the satellite. Is anyone receiving these channels?

Yeap, got all of them here.. didn't have to do anything.
post #133 of 14741
As Comcast announced when it merged the channels into one HD version, generally, though not always, the Golf content is on during the daytime, with Versus on at night.

Obviously some Versus college football is an exception to that rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoe View Post

This may have been covered before but with all the action I may have missed it. Golf and Versus have merged into one hd channel. Two questions:
Why?
and
How is programming for either channel going to be affected? Does a hockey game beat out a golf match for hd viewing?
post #134 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahred1981 View Post

Am I the only person here who ISN'T having an issue with seeing these new HD Channels? Man, I never thought I'd see the day.

Nope, I got 'em all no problemo.
post #135 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

What an incredibly clownish, uninformed thing to say. None of the MPEG4 channels are "HDLITE",

Do you have some proof to back up this statement?
post #136 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard korsgren View Post

Numbers mean very little.

I don't know about that. If it's still 1440 x 1080 (or is it 720 x 540 with MPEG4?), this HD Lite sufferer for 4 years will be awfully disappointed unless the HD PQ blows me away.
post #137 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim99 View Post

That doesn't make a lot of sense. HD content providers without carriage have little motivation to produce HD content. I think if anything D*'s carriage will 'put them on notice' that they can't just say HD, now it actually has to be done.

Additionally just because a provider stretches some content doesn't mean they're stretching it all. I agree it really stinks to see how little HD is on some 'HD' channels but refusing to provide carriage is definitely not going to encourage more HD content.

Absolutely correct. TNT started out as a lousy excuse for an HD channel; the only thing worth watching was the NBA in HD. But then they began to do their own programming in HD - The Closer, Saving Grace, etc., all of which looked to my eyes (on my 81" diagonal front projection system using Sony's VPL-VW50) to be very, very good - the equivalent of much of what is on regular network channels. Having an HD channel obviously created an incentive to do HD programming, just as it will for many of these new HD channels.

My real brain teaser is this: when virtually all the cable channels have gone HD, does the transition automatically provide *D with a $10/mth programming fee increase? Somehow I don't think my bill is going to go down, even when there are virtually no SD channels left. So as a practical matter, the HD transition gave both *D and *E a nice way to tack on what would otherwise be considered a huge programming price increase.

Note that I'm not saying the price is unfair (they have to pay their infrastructure costs, after all). In fact, I think it is quite fair. I'm just pointing out that as a practical matter, as more people subscribe to the HD channels, *D and *E are getting an automatic programming price increase that is partially, if not completely, "hidden" by the HD moniker.

John C.
post #138 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post

I don't know about that. If it's still 1440 x 1080 (or is it 720 x 540 with MPEG4?), this HD Lite sufferer for 4 years will be awfully disappointed unless the HD PQ blows me away.

With that attitude of course you're going to be disappointed.
post #139 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post

I don't know about that. If it's still 1440 x 1080 (or is it 720 x 540 with MPEG4?), this HD Lite sufferer for 4 years will be awfully disappointed unless the HD PQ blows me away.

It looked awfully good to me this morning before I came to work. I watched a little of that Narnia nonsense on Starz, and it looked great. As did CNNHD and Smithsonian. If this is how the channels are going to look, well its the berries. I'm happy.
post #140 of 14741
Well after wathching these new HD channels for a while I have noticed an improvement in PQ on the HD content, by switching between HBOH and HBOHD; but what has really improved the most is the SD content on the MPEG4 channels, such as The Weather Channel. My Sony 60" XBR2 just looked horrible with D*'s SD content before, but now it is up to a par with OTA digital SD. Much better, actually watchable now. Can't wait for some MPEG baseball games, too bad the Braves are on SS tonight.


Fred
post #141 of 14741
Thread Starter 
Note to networks:

1) Your HD channel should be your premium offering. Tuning to that channel should offer viewers the best way to experience your network. You should not force viewers to tune into your SD channel to get the best quality for the 80% of the time you are sending SD content. IOW, Do not distort, crop or zoom the standard definition programming (unless it is formatted letterboxed on the SD feed).

2) Don't call upconverted standard definition programming "HD" in the program guide - you aren't fooling us. Those that you do fool, what do you gain? You're just as likely to have viewers form a negative opinion of your "HD" compared to other network's actual HD.
post #142 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocktar View Post

We are getting Smithsonian HD on our commercial account, but nothing else.

I just checked and we are the same. Smithsonian HD, and the rest give the 721 not purchased error.
post #143 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

I just called Directv about Starz HD channels showing channel not purchased. The CSR reset my service a few times, had me reset my service a few times, and finally dropped my programming package and added it again. None of these worked so she checked the HD boxes in there call center and said they couldn't even bring the channels up there and said it must be a problem witht the satellite. Is anyone receiving these channels?

---------------
See Link for a fix..
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1048521-post1.html
post #144 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Note to networks:

1) Your HD channel should be your premium offering. Tuning to that channel should offer viewers the best way to experience your network. You should not force viewers to tune into your SD channel to get the best quality for the 80% of the time you are sending SD content. IOW, Do not distort, crop or zoom the standard definition programming (unless it is formatted letterboxed on the SD feed).

2) Don't call upconverted standard definition programming "HD" in the program guide - you aren't fooling us. Those that you do fool, what do you gain? You're just as likely to have viewers form a negative opinion of your "HD" compared to other network's actual HD.



Excellent! ..and, as more and more people get HD, they will begin to see the differences in HD content and begin to shy away from those programmers not offering an excellent HD experience. By the way, '24' has looked very good on Fox in HD. It was carried this morning on one of these so-called HD channels and it looked..not good at all. One thing for sure..these programmers who carry network programs the second time around, bring it to us in HD format, the same way it was seen the first time around on the networks. For all these programmers it is just a matter of good business!
post #145 of 14741
HR20's were updated a few months ago to add this feature. But not all models of the H20 have this update yet. I'm not sure if it's rolling thru any national release yet but check the CE update for your H20 model over at DBSTalk Cutting Edge forum and see if the update is in one of the latest CE's. You can then download when it becomes available (after accepting that my downloading test software you might brick your box).
post #146 of 14741
Thread Starter 
They certainly aren't fooling the MSOs who are well aware of how much actual HD content is shown on the network when they are considering carriage. Simply "filling the screen" is an asinine reason to manipulate the SD programming.
post #147 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post

I don't know about that. If it's still 1440 x 1080 (or is it 720 x 540 with MPEG4?), this HD Lite sufferer for 4 years will be awfully disappointed unless the HD PQ blows me away.

As mentioned above, what you are seeing on the 'best' of the new channels from Directv is about as good as HD will get during the next few years. Channels such as Weather ChannelHD, CNNHD, Smithsonion, HBOHD. etc. look excellent to these eyes. To see better quality you will have to wait many years. It is very true a number of progammers are behind the curve; let us hope they soon see the light.
post #148 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post

I don't know about that. If it's still 1440 x 1080 (or is it 720 x 540 with MPEG4?), this HD Lite sufferer for 4 years will be awfully disappointed unless the HD PQ blows me away.


That dream wont come true until 1080P. Then you'll be blown away.
post #149 of 14741
I've thought about that myself. I expect it will go the way of the special phone services. Remember how you were special if you had caller ID or call waiting? Each one of those add on's was quite costly. Now we just have a control panel on the web and can turn on/off an entire page of 'advanced' phone services for $3. And the bill is higher


Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcolombo View Post

My real brain teaser is this: when virtually all the cable channels have gone HD, does the transition automatically provide *D with a $10/mth programming fee increase? Somehow I don't think my bill is going to go down, even when there are virtually no SD channels left. So as a practical matter, the HD transition gave both *D and *E a nice way to tack on what would otherwise be considered a huge programming price increase.

Note that I'm not saying the price is unfair (they have to pay their infrastructure costs, after all). In fact, I think it is quite fair. I'm just pointing out that as a practical matter, as more people subscribe to the HD channels, *D and *E are getting an automatic programming price increase that is partially, if not completely, "hidden" by the HD moniker.

John C.
post #150 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp11 View Post

That dream wont come true until 1080P. Then you'll be blown away.

I do respect your opinion. But, to my eyes, the differences are not great enough to invest millions of dollars in 1080p. I believe the present system we have (720p/1080i) will be the standard for many years. The next big step will come (plus 20 years) with a format like 21 to 9 (wider screen and bigger screens) and 4 times the resolution of 720p. Actually, in our part of the nation, maybe 20 percent have HD displays so we will have to go many years just to bring the vast majority into the HD era. (I do not know how many with HD sets are actually viewing HD content).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › DirecTV HDTV