or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › DirecTV HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DirecTV HDTV - Page 413

post #12361 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

I didn't care about the scroll bar but it seems they have removed the ability to fast forward while i'm in the menu and the ability to change the channel while in the menu, why did they have to do that?

Beats me, but all trick play functions while showing "picture in guide" are now disabled.
post #12362 of 14741
This update is terrible. I was happy with my HR-22 until this last update.
post #12363 of 14741
I'm not a fan since the update either. Everything is slower... It sucks
post #12364 of 14741
"Channels I Get" worked with my old Samsung HD receiver, but not since.
post #12365 of 14741
Channels I get is updated every now and then. They updated it about a year and a half ago I believe and had it pretty much working correctly at that time with the exception of the regional sports networks in the 600s. However since they they have added new channels, and evidenlty whoever adds the channels doesn't make sure that they work correctly with Channels I get, so those new channels tend to show up for everyone whether they subscribe to them or not.

Eventually DirecTV will update the feature again and the issue will go away for a little bit. Right now I think they are too busy with all the other stuff going on to worry about Channels I Get. The HD-GUI, HR34, RVU, NOMAD, DirecTV Anywhere, the mobile apps, are where they are concentrating right now and that probably makes the most sense until they are all up and running bug free.

As far as the latest firmware update that disables most of the remote commands when the guide or menu is on the screen I too hate it. I think it is a big mistake and I'm hoping enough people complain that DirecTV reconsider's it. I guess one of the big reasons they are making a lot of these changes is because of the new simplified remote they are coming out with for hotels and RVU TVs. Personally to me it would make more sense just to come up with a completely different IR codeset for that remote and have it work differently, rather than screwing up what millions of customers have been used to for years.
post #12366 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

I didn't care about the scroll bar but it seems they have removed the ability to fast forward while i'm in the menu and the ability to change the channel while in the menu, why did they have to do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

...As far as the latest firmware update that disables most of the remote commands when the guide or menu is on the screen I too hate it. I think it is a big mistake and I'm hoping enough people complain that DirecTV reconsider's it. I guess one of the big reasons they are making a lot of these changes is because of the new simplified remote they are coming out with for hotels and RVU TVs. Personally to me it would make more sense just to come up with a completely different IR codeset for that remote and have it work differently, rather than screwing up what millions of customers have been used to for years.

Beerstalker, this is the explanation that I was given for the changes to the PIG, and the dropping of the double dash delete function. I too hate this loss of functionality. I suggested that they put a remote control selector (like they have for the dish type selector) in the setup to handle this issue, but I think your solution is better, and more user friendly. Why would they remove the functions for over 20 million subscribers to accomodate the users of a newer, simplified remote control? Why make a new remote control with fewer functions (buttons) in the first place?
post #12367 of 14741
Posted this in another thread and got some help but can't hurt to ask for more.

Was wondering if anyone else gets pixelation at the top of their screen on H2 (History 2) when on 1080i + stretch, pillar box and original format settings, but not the cropped setting or any of the lower resolution settings. It's not happening on every channel so it's not the tv. Also noticed on TVLand and IFC but sometimes only on shows that have been recorded. I had to get a new DVR a couple months ago after mine just stopped working and wouldn't power on. Annoyingly they sent me the same model (HR23-700) instead of a newer model. The remote that came with it, since day 1, has to occasionally be slapped around like a neglected sex organ to get it to work. This didn't happen with the old box (or remote) and wondered if anyone else has seen this. Everything is connected with Hdmi. Also pissed that this is still a SD channel, but I digress...
LL
LL
post #12368 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

The double dash button press doesn't delete recordings like it used to.

Now you have to press red and then the OK button as the shortest combos to delete.

Why can't they leave well enough alone?

Good question. We need a new word to describe needless "advances" in technology just because they can, from too much clutter on my HD screen, to irritating noises, to DirecTV's newest snafu GUI, to YouTube continual destructive format changes. Some chages are great, but they need to know where to stop.
post #12369 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

It's not happening on every channel so it's not the tv.

Believe it or not, it is the TV. This happens when you have overscan disabled. Switch to a picture mode that has overscan, and it will go away.
post #12370 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Posted this in another thread and got some help but can't hurt to ask for more.

Was wondering if anyone else gets pixelation at the top of their screen on H2 (History 2) when on 1080i + stretch, pillar box and original format settings, but not the cropped setting or any of the lower resolution settings.

Looks like you're seeing the closed-caption data on SD programming. Yes, this is usually hidden by overscan on pre-HDTV displays. No, it is not the fault of your TV, it's just a mismatch of technology levels. It's up to you to decide if it's annoying enough to engage some form of overscan to hide the data lines.
post #12371 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post


Looks like you're seeing the closed-caption data on SD programming. Yes, this is usually hidden by overscan on pre-HDTV displays. No, it is not the fault of your TV, it's just a mismatch of technology levels. It's up to you to decide if it's annoying enough to engage some form of overscan to hide the data lines.

Overscan meaning "zoom" of some kind?
post #12372 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Overscan meaning "zoom" of some kind?

If you must. Since I don't know what display you have, it's kind of hard to advise further. That being said, very often modern HDTV's have a menu setting that controls overscan. Typically, one setting enables 1:1 pixel mapping and the other option scales (zooms) the picture slightly which hides the edges of the video. In this case, the latter option is probably what you're looking for.
post #12373 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post


If you must. Since I don't know what display you have, it's kind of hard to advise further. That being said, very often modern HDTV's have a menu setting that controls overscan. Typically, one setting enables 1:1 pixel mapping and the other option scales (zooms) the picture slightly which hides the edges of the video. In this case, the latter option is probably what you're looking for.

I have a Samsung pn55c7000. So to get the best resolution (1080i) with the way it's supposed to look (anything but cropped), you simply have to deal with it? Weak.
post #12374 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

If you must. Since I don't know what display you have, it's kind of hard to advise further. That being said, very often modern HDTV's have a menu setting that controls overscan. Typically, one setting enables 1:1 pixel mapping and the other option scales (zooms) the picture slightly which hides the edges of the video. In this case, the latter option is probably what you're looking for.

On Samsung TVs, the mode with no overscan is called JustScan, and the mode with overscan is called 16:9.
post #12375 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

I have a Samsung pn55c7000. So to get the best resolution (1080i) with the way it's supposed to look (anything but cropped), you simply have to deal with it? Weak.

While overscan is technically cropping, it's very slight. And (unfortunately) all channels are still designed with some overscan taken into account, so there's really no good reason not to do it for watching TV. Because that's really "how it's supposed to look."
post #12376 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

On Samsung TVs, the mode with no overscan is called JustScan, and the mode with overscan is called 16:9.

Thanks I'll give it a try when i get home but I think that's what it's on.
post #12377 of 14741
I have a newer Samsung LCD connected via HDMI to DirecTV HD DVR box. But, when HD content is displayed, I see a message reading "Hold exit until TV confirms switch." "Please check to see if you have HDMI cables".

So I'm going to try a different cable but wondering if its settings somewhere causing the problem?
post #12378 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotkey View Post

I have a newer Samsung LCD connected via HDMI to DirecTV HD DVR box. But, when HD content is displayed, I see a message reading "Hold exit until TV confirms switch." "Please check to see if you have HDMI cables".

So I'm going to try a different cable but wondering if its settings somewhere causing the problem?

Make sure your new TV is set to a HD resolution, at least 720P.
post #12379 of 14741
We'll try that!
post #12380 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Thanks I'll give it a try when i get home but I think that's what it's on.

I agree with Jeremy on this one. The trouble (as near as I can tell) is happening because you're letting the D* receiver upconvert a 480p channel to 1080i, and it's not cropping off the stuff (blanking/CC) that you would not normally see on a 545/480 line display.

FWIW, I set my D* receiver to "native," with 480p/720p/1080i/1080p selected as valid resolutions. My TV automatically switches to "16:9" (overscanned) mode when it gets a 480p/i signal and "JustScan" (1:1 mapping) for 1080i/p and 720p signals. YMMV ...
post #12381 of 14741
Is there anything actually happening, or may be on the horizon, with HD programming? Channels not in high end packages? The stuff everyone but DirecTV already carries: BBC America, E, DIY, Cooking Channel?

Or is it so dead @ DirecTV that the only discussion that can possibly be had is about their receivers?
post #12382 of 14741
BlueTiger,

Apparently you guys are getting one full-time HD Channel (Rumor and assumption seems to be Tru TV HD) and one part-time HD channel (A San Diego RSN is speculated).

Sateliteracer has hinted at several HD channels over the next month and that people will be happy about the additions.
post #12383 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDOrlando View Post

BlueTiger,

Apparently you guys are getting one full-time HD Channel (Rumor and assumption seems to be Tru TV HD) and one part-time HD channel (A San Diego RSN is speculated).

Sateliteracer has hinted at several HD channels over the next month and that people will be happy about the additions.

I remember reading last year that D* had plans to add TruTV HD in the first quarter of this year as a fulltime channel. Granted there really isn't much that TruTV has to offer with the exception of NCAA Tournament games as the majority of the other programming is stretch-o-vision. With regards to a new San Diego RSN, that will be Fox Sports San Diego (aka FSN San Diego) as the Padres are going to be the center piece of programming. However the launch has been delayed due to the fact that that the tv deal has been held up in the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball, however the channel is expected to launch on or around March 5th. I have reason to suspect that FSN-SD will be on ch. 694/694-1 because Prime Ticket used to be on ch. 694 & is now on ch. 693.
post #12384 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

...stretch-o-vision...

LOL. I don't know if you coined this phrase or not, Tom, but I love it! The only thing worse is when they call it "HD" as The History Channel HD, TBS HD & others do.
post #12385 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDOrlando View Post

BlueTiger,

Apparently you guys are getting one full-time HD Channel (Rumor and assumption seems to be Tru TV HD) and one part-time HD channel (A San Diego RSN is speculated).

Sateliteracer has hinted at several HD channels over the next month and that people will be happy about the additions.

Don't know what Sateliteracer is. Poster?

Thank you for that information!

It's so little. It's only a little something that's a little more than nothing. (The sports stuff is predictable. DirecTV's model.)

I clicked on your link. Clearly, Bright House cares more so to put together something in the way of an HD lineup from linear SDs available on DirecTV. (Makes me wish I could get Bright House.)

1106 Disney Jr. HD (Announced for March 23)
1108 The Hub HD
1156 Outdoor Channel HD
1157 Sportsman Channel HD
1216 HLN HD
1221 Bloomberg HD
1226 C-SPAN HD
1227 C-SPAN2 HD
1233 TV One HD
1243 H2 HD
1246 Investigation Discovery HD
1253 The Cooking Channel HD
1254 DIY HD
1262 Nat Geo WILD HD
1270 Oprah Winfrey Network HD
1271 Oxygen HD
1272 WE tv HD
1278 BBC America HD
1280 GSN HD
1291 Tru TV HD
1293 E! HD
1294 Style HD
1296 TV Guide Network HD
1311 FUSE HD
1316 Ovation TV HD
1317 Gospel Music Channel HD
1340 EWTN HD
1354 Reelz HD
1357 TCM HD
1359 Lifetime Movie Network HD
1384 IFC HD
1388 Encore West HD
1389 Fox Movie Channel HD
1692 Hustler HD
1917 Galavision HD
post #12386 of 14741
Can you not get Dish either? They have most of those channels too.
post #12387 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Can you not get Dish either? They have most of those channels too.

I have the MLB Extra Innings package.

DirecTV can match any competitor in programming. Now any of the issues to consider I don't mean to overlook. But it comes to down to actually doing it.

It would also be a help if there were people @ DirecTV who are good @ programming because they are not. Sports is not 100% of what that provider has to cover.
post #12388 of 14741
Since there has been so much talk of the new screen guide, I'll say it looks nice. But I'm more immediately responsive to a faster speed of scrolling through programming off the guide. I mean going from one time block to the next off of one channel (like with what's coming up later in the day on HBO).
post #12389 of 14741
Wouldn't MLB TV be comparable to that? They have every out of market game for $125/yr. You can watch that live in HD on just about any device, and switch to the sat/cable provider that has all the other content you want. If you don't have a compatible streaming device, just get an $80 Roku.

Just a thought.
post #12390 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Wouldn't MLB TV be comparable to that? They have every out of market game for $125/yr. You can watch that live in HD on just about any device, and switch to the sat/cable provider that has all the other content you want. If you don't have a compatible streaming device, just get an $80 Roku.

Just a thought.

Not the set up I want.

Thank you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › DirecTV HDTV