or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › DirecTV HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DirecTV HDTV - Page 437

post #13081 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

By broadcasting in 1080i stretch-o-vision, that's how.

To be fair to TCM they don't ever stretch. They show OAR except on the few occasions that the only copy they can get is 4:3 pan and scan when the letter box version is just unavailable.
post #13082 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipinoyakuza View Post

If anyone is thinking about becoming a new Directv customer anytime soon I would suggest waiting until 7-19-12.
Here is Directv's new offer that start on 7-19-12:
Quote:
THE BEST OFFER EVER JUST GOT BETTER!

Mobile and Online Access – Every game, every Sunday, live on your laptop, tablet or cell phone.
RED ZONE CHANNEL® – Never miss a play inside the 20. Get all the final stats from around the league, in HD.
Short Cuts – See replays of entire games in less than 30 minutes.
4 FREE Upgrades on Advanced Product (AP) receivers
.

Does mobile and online access mean that I can watch the games on my iphone or laptop? or just scores and stats
post #13083 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Does mobile and online access mean that I can watch the games on my iphone or laptop? or just scores and stats

Yes, you can watch live games on your iPhone, and laptop. Quality can vary pretty widely depending on your internet speed.

Also, just so you know the every game thing isn't really true, at least it wasn't in the past. I don't think they stream any of the Thursday/Sunday/Monday night games, and I also believe you are blacked out from your local teams in the apps. At least I'm pretty sure that is how it worked last year.
post #13084 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

Spare me the "why are you defending them!?!" posts, please...
But that's all you're doing. If not, can you please state your argument in one sentence, because I have no idea what it is.

This subject started when one poster essentially stated that TCM HD doesn't show any HD. Unless I'm missing something, you argued essentially that it's too complicated and expensive for them to show any HD. Fine. We all understand that. It doesn't change the fact that calling themselves an HD channel is fraud. If it's not, then I think a stupid analogy is in order. I'll go open a restaurant and call it Bob's Steaks. You come in and order a steak, and I'll serve you a hamburger molded in the shape of a steak. You'll say, "hmm, this isn't a steak. But that's ok, I wouldn't expect a steak house to serve real steaks. It must be really complicated and expensive to get and serve real steaks". But all my other customers will tell me I have no right to call my restaurant a steak house and call me a fraud, and rightly so.
post #13085 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Also, just so you know the every game thing isn't really true, at least it wasn't in the past. I don't think they stream any of the Thursday/Sunday/Monday night games, and I also believe you are blacked out from your local teams in the apps.

Youre not reading the entire ad.

Thats why they have their * comments at the end:

*Blackout rules and other conditions apply.
*NFL SUNDAY TICKET and NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX consists of all out-of market NFL games broadcast on FOX and CBS at 1 pm and 4 pm ET.

etc etc.
post #13086 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

But that's all you're doing. If not, can you please state your argument in one sentence, because I have no idea what it is.
This subject started when one poster essentially stated that TCM HD doesn't show any HD. Unless I'm missing something, you argued essentially that it's too complicated and expensive for them to show any HD. Fine. We all understand that. It doesn't change the fact that calling themselves an HD channel is fraud. If it's not, then I think a stupid analogy is in order. I'll go open a restaurant and call it Bob's Steaks. You come in and order a steak, and I'll serve you a hamburger molded in the shape of a steak. You'll say, "hmm, this isn't a steak. But that's ok, I wouldn't expect a steak house to serve real steaks. It must be really complicated and expensive to get and serve real steaks". But all my other customers will tell me I have no right to call my restaurant a steak house and call me a fraud, and rightly so.
The subject started when Adam and Eve entered the Garden of Eden. However, for me, the subject started when MWS192 posted that DirecTV was now testing Turner Classic Movies-HD.

Slimoli responded: "I wouldn't expect a lot of HD content on TCM." I asked Slmoli: "Are you saying that because: 1. You do not expect Turner Classic Movies to obtain HD prints; or 2. You are confused about the fact that 35mm (and above) film is by its very nature high definition and with the proper master materials they can be converted to HD video for cable/satellite viewing and/or Blu-Ray release?" To date, Slimoli has never responded to my question.

At this point mdavej jumped in and said that "last he read" TCM is up-converted version of their SD channel, that it looks that way when he has viewed it on cable or DISH and linked to some screenshots to "prove it." I replied by saying those screenshots were over one year old, but speculated that: "Maybe TCM will upgrade its content to HD with more HD subscribers becoming available; as did most of the other cable channels once their HD subscriber base increased. Remember when TBS and TNT first went HD...?"

NetworkTV jumped in with the observation that it did not take TNT and TBS 3 years to start showing HD content. I suggested that was an unfair comparison as TBS and TNT "specialize in showing current and recent programing easily provided in HD, whereas TCM must convert virtually all of its programming to HD (or be provided it..." This is where the conversation took a dramatic turn!

NetworkTV then makes his flawed argument that many of the movies cablecast by TCM are already mastered in HD: arguing that BluRays are available and that SONY-HD and HDNet[Movies] airs many of the same movies. I respond.with two facts: a movie existing on BluRay is not the same as the version required to cablecast it on TCM and while, yes, SONY-HD and HDNet[Movies] obviously have cablecast HD masters, that does not mean that the copyright owners of these specific movies will license them to TCM for HD cablecast.

At that point the "discussion" degenerates into an ad hominem attack on me and my "defense" of TCM! Let me cut to the chase:

As for you, mdavej, I NEVER responded to you, until your post 13053, where you repeat the unsubstantiated arguments that: "So they have the HD masters already, they have the technology, but they just choose not to broadcast HD in the US for some mysterious reason (many of which are speculated about in the TCM HD thread)." JMCecil jumps in here and again reiterates that they do have the masters, licensing and facilities. HOW DO YOU KNOW?

Lastly, I have never seen TCM-HD; I am only looking forward to its inclusion on DirecTV, as I frequently watch TCM and sometimes digitize from it. In this current thread, I have NEVER suggested that it is a good thing or a good practice for TCM-HD to call itself "HD." I will worry about that issue when TCM-HD is available to me, since I DO pay $10 per month extra for the inclusion of HD versions of channels.

So, why you make an analogy to Bob's Steakhouse is only satisfying to YOU, I have never responded to your points about TCM-HD being called that...

Calling it TCM-HD is an important issue to you! Please do not assume how I feel about that issue, as I have not addressed it in these posts other than a brief suggestion that it does seem misleading for one who pays extra for HD channels and they should file a complaint.
Edited by MichaelLAX - 7/11/12 at 12:00pm
post #13087 of 14741
... I give up!
post #13088 of 14741
NFL Redzone Channel (RZ) available.

I called and talked to retention (always!) to get my bill straightened out (lots of no-service credits were due) and asked for stand-alone redzone (RZ) channel to be added for my trouble. The rep said that she added it. I know time will tell, once football season starts, but I am hopeful. It seems to be an annual ritual to get stand-alone redzone channel. Wish me luck!
post #13089 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

The subject started when Adam and Eve entered the Garden of Eden.

Johnny from "Airplane" said it started when, "First the Earth cooled."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

... I give up!

Yay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_h2 View Post

NFL Redzone Channel (RZ) available.
I called and talked to retention (always!) to get my bill straightened out (lots of no-service credits were due) and asked for stand-alone redzone (RZ) channel to be added for my trouble. The rep said that she added it. I know time will tell, once football season starts, but I am hopeful. It seems to be an annual ritual to get stand-alone redzone channel.
Wish me luck!

Luck.
post #13090 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Johnny from "Airplane" said it started when, "First the Earth cooled."

It was in Airplane II:

Stephen Stucker R.I.P.!!!
post #13091 of 14741
Losing Comedy Central was pretty annoying since I watch several shows on there, but I just remembered that this weekend Spike would be covering Comic Con as well. =\

But that's not so bad right? We can still watch all the coverage in HD on G4...oh...wait...
post #13092 of 14741
This is crazy, we lost all Viacom channels for good?
post #13093 of 14741
Yes, forever.
post #13094 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

Losing Comedy Central was pretty annoying since I watch several shows on there, but I just remembered that this weekend Spike would be covering Comic Con as well. =\
But that's not so bad right? We can still watch all the coverage in HD on G4...oh...wait...

LOL ...it's worse than that ... we wait years .... decades ... for new "Futurama" episodes ... and now this ... oh well, there's always Hulu.
post #13095 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Yes, forever.
foe eva eva?
post #13096 of 14741
Man...no kidding. I just noticed my Futurama recording for tonight got removed from my to-do list. As expected of course, but still sad to see. GameTrailers is gone too.

And no mike, not forever. Only until both companies get their ish together and come to a compromise. Well, at least I hope it's not for forever... eek.gif
post #13097 of 14741
Viacom has even removed full episodes of shows like The Daily Show from the Internet across the board, preventing those who don't even have DIRECTV from seeing the content, pretty nasty move on Viacom's part.

432
post #13098 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Viacom has even removed full episodes of shows like The Daily Show from the Internet across the board, preventing those who don't even have DIRECTV from seeing the content, pretty nasty move on Viacom's part.
And I don't blame Viacom for that, I blame DirecTV. They're the ones who were petty and threw up this site yesterday: http://www.directvpromise.com/other-ways-to-watch/#.T_4gqPU1ZyM

That's a douche move if I ever saw one.
post #13099 of 14741
I would bet this gets resolved before noon Monday. The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are in repeats until Monday, so everyone gets to play tough without consequences for a few more days. I don't think either of them will want to wait until Monday night, however, as it wouldn't be beyond the staffs of either show to comment on it, and you can bet they won't be taking DirecTV's side in the dispute. (They may not take Viacom's either, but in that case I suspect everyone will be made to look bad.)
post #13100 of 14741
383

Wow! perfect timing. There would have been serious amount of nerd rage if the Finale of Korra is not available then.
post #13101 of 14741
In that whole bunch the only good channel was Paladia imho. To bad so called MTV owns it..

Jeff
post #13102 of 14741
Anyone catch Injustice? On the 101 - if you liked Shadowline you'll probably like this. First episode was tonight (Wed.) and repeats Sunday. Arty, British crime stuff - cool super slow-mo car boom, gross dead guy, time-shifting, etc.
post #13103 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

Well, the Viacom channels are black with a posted statement that: "Viacom, the owner of this channel, forced DIRECTV to suspend it..."
I guess I will have to watch The Daily Show on YouTube now! biggrin.gif

Will you be using your DirecTV HD-DVR to find the YouTube programs??

That is one of the basis of the dispute.. If I could stream them for free.. why pay for them??

Other than Nick and Spike.. I really don't care or miss the other channels.
post #13104 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

And I don't blame Viacom for that, I blame DirecTV. They're the ones who were petty and threw up this site yesterday: http://www.directvpromise.com/other-ways-to-watch/#.T_4gqPU1ZyM
That's a douche move if I ever saw one.

As opposed to the Viacom website which I think existed first

http://whendirectvdrops.com/

basically blaming DirecTV for the whole thing neglected the 30% increase to run commercial driven channels. Obviously 2 mega conglomerates fighting it out to make themselves look
like the bigger victim. Viacom has a much longer history of these sort of blackmail wars with all manner of other companies, so I guess I'll side with Direct on the issue and blame the
evil Cable/Network monopoly rather than the Evil Delivery boy.
post #13105 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

Well, the Viacom channels are black with a posted statement that: "Viacom, the owner of this channel, forced DIRECTV to suspend it..."
I guess I will have to watch The Daily Show on YouTube now! biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEC View Post

Will you be using your DirecTV HD-DVR to find the YouTube programs??
That is one of the basis of the dispute.. If I could stream them for free.. why pay for them??
Other than Nick and Spike.. I really don't care or miss the other channels.
It was kind of an in-joke: Viacom has been suing Google (the owner of YouTube) for all of the years that YouTube originally carried clips of their shows and now trying to get the courts to impose the obligation on YouTube to actively seek out and remove Viacom properties (instead of the Copyright Law requirement of Notice and Removal).

Viacom has been getting their teeth bashed in by the courts, but the case is far from over...
post #13106 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

And I don't blame Viacom for that, I blame DirecTV. They're the ones who were petty and threw up this site yesterday: http://www.directvpromise.com/other-ways-to-watch/#.T_4gqPU1ZyM
That's a douche move if I ever saw one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect60 View Post

As opposed to the Viacom website which I think existed first
http://whendirectvdrops.com/
basically blaming DirecTV for the whole thing neglected the 30% increase to run commercial driven channels. Obviously 2 mega conglomerates fighting it out to make themselves look
like the bigger victim. Viacom has a much longer history of these sort of blackmail wars with all manner of other companies, so I guess I'll side with Direct on the issue and blame the
evil Cable/Network monopoly rather than the Evil Delivery boy.
This one is an interesting test: No over-the-air channels involved (which raise a public interest argument in favor of FCC intervention some day...). Viacom as the owner of these channels can charge whatever they want and DirecTV will be forced to pass along the increase.

Look for increased calls to break up the Cable/satellite monopoly of distribution of these channels and ala carte pricing of channels!
post #13107 of 14741
DTV offered me $5 off of billx3 mo and $50 off Nomad, plus Encore freex1month. Is it fair?
post #13108 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

DTV offered me $5 off of billx3 mo and $50 off Nomad, plus Encore freex1month. Is it fair?

What's the status of your contract?

If you are currently out of contract and depending on what monthly plan you are will really determine what they will be willing to offer you.

Encore for free 1 month is what they are giving all customers right now while the viacom channels have gone away.

If you are out of contract I would really press them hard for big discounts and threaten to cancel service.You may have to speak with a retention department though to get the better deals.
post #13109 of 14741
I would like Directv to just lower my bill and dump these worthless Viacom channels and dump every other channel that are showing mostly reality programing that I cannot stand.
post #13110 of 14741
Viacom yanked online access of Daily Show and Colbert so the douche is on them now.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-viacom-20120711,0,3984016.story
Quote:


By Joe Flint

July 11, 2012, 12:28 p.m.

Viacom is cutting back, at least temporarily, on the number of episodes of TV shows that it offers for free online from its cable networks, including MTV and Comedy Central.

The move comes after satellite broadcaster DirecTV stopped carrying Viacom's cable channels Tuesday night. One of DirecTV's issues with Viacom is the amount of content the cable programmer puts online for free. DirecTV and other distributors fear that giving programs away online undermines the pay-TV business model.
Although Viacom did not announce a formal policy change, visitors to the Comedy Central website looking to watch "The Daily Show" or "The Colbert Report" were met with a message saying, "Full episodes are currently unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience."

However, fans of MTV's "Snooki & JWoww" can still watch episodes of that show for free.

Viacom spokeswoman Carole Robinson said the company has "temporarily slimmed down our offerings" as a result of its fight with DirecTV. She added that "hundreds (maybe more) of long-form episodes remain online, for free."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › DirecTV HDTV