Originally Posted by sheshechic
Hi, I'm considering moving back to Dtv and I'm looking for some input.
1) I currently have Charter w/ 2 TIVO XL boxes and I know that they cannot be used on Directv's system, however I'd like to know how the HR34/24 compare? Can you do season passes with those models?
2) If I switch back to Dtv, I'm thinking 1 HR34, 1 HD dvr and 2 hd receivers with whole home dvr service. I previously had whole home w/hr24s. Wouldn't this give me the most recording options with the least amount of conflict (Sundays are slam packed between my hubby's and my needs)? Also, I figure that if I had a problem with one dvr there's always one to fall back on.
3) How stable is the hr34 now?
Thanks in advance.
1) I'd be willing to bet you'll gain features that you didn't have before. Cable boxes, in general, tend to lack a lot of the extra stuff with their equipment. For example, one thing I love on the D* DVRs that most cable boxes don't have, is a 30 second skip forward you can turn on instead of simply fast forwarding. Some of the other features like Youtube and Pandora access are nice, too, though I don't really use them.
2) That's purely a personal thing. It depends on your need for boxes in other rooms, how much you record and whether you want more space created by more DVRs or simply want one central hub for it.
3) Very stable, it just gets a bit pokey at times. The early DVRs were very buggy, but really improved rapidly. Based on stability and features, I see no reason at all to bother with Tivo. I like D*'s system better. Had they gotten Tivo a few years ago, I might have bitten. Now, I couldn't care less.