or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › DirecTV HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DirecTV HDTV - Page 457

post #13681 of 14741
With an attitude like that you are going to be lucky to get any help at all.

I haven't seen too many people here talk about it, but if you go over to the DBSTalk.com forums (AVSForum's sister site) there are a few people who have it, and have used it. I would suggest going over there and reading in the threads about it and possibly sending PMs to people who have used it.
post #13682 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee14 View Post

Last night the TV turned on, I turned it off and it turned itself back on, it kept doing that.
I noticed that my AM21 power light was on BUT not the receiver (HR-23-700), I tried turning on the receiver but it would not turn on either thru the remote or power button.
I unplugged the TV and Receiver, I replugged them in and the TV kept going on BUT then receiver would not turn on, the AM21 light stayed on.
I disconnected the AM21 and plugged the power cord into the HR23 directly but still no power to it.
Obvious problem with the receiver, two questions :
(1) Anyone experience this and have a fix without having to get a replacement ?
(2) MORE IMPORTANTLY, If I replace my receiver do I lose what I have recorded and is there a way to retrieve the programing?
Any advice and help appreciated
Greg

You can copy the recordings in HD via component outputs of the receiver to simple DVD-R or DV+R by usng the Haupauge HD PVR. And the recordings are also in DD 5.1 if the source was DD 5.1

Does anyone know if software exists to be able to copy the recordings in HD to a Blu-Ray disk (allowing more room for movies; thereby enabling a higher bit rate?) Thanks.
Edited by igreg - 10/31/12 at 9:38pm
post #13683 of 14741
DirecTV should do a commercial with me. During the Hurricane we lost power so I start my generator I still had DirecTV service and I never lost it during the whole Hurricane. 2 days running on my generator and DIRECTV working perfect.;
post #13684 of 14741
Been using antenna only for 3-4 months now. Since the weather is turning cold, it's time to get Directv, Dish Network, or Comcast. Was ready to jump the gun on Directv, but had a little issue.

Has anyone had any luck getting a $200 gift card AND free shipping? I've been getting mailers from Directv for a few months promising a $200 gift card. There are a few differences between this and the on-line offer, but it's similar. One difference is that on-line orders get free shipping, while phone-ins have to pay $19.95 shipping fee.

I was ready to sign up, but I absolutely refuse to pay the shipping fee. Has anyone gotten them to waive this fee?
post #13685 of 14741
Emma-B,
Fwiw, I arranged my install through a local company and I don't think I had to deal with shipping. Not sure where you are but the company I used was Video Revolution in Tulsa...
post #13686 of 14741
I've had Directv since '95, and I recently upgraded to the HR34 (with 5 tuners) to go with my HR24 (with 2 tuners) for a total of 7.

I was virtually forced to add a AM21 OTA tuner because the owner of the local FOX channel refuses to accept Directv's terms for retransmission.
post #13687 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

I've had Directv since '95, and I recently upgraded to the HR34 (with 5 tuners) to go with my HR24 (with 2 tuners) for a total of 7.

I was virtually forced to add a AM21 OTA tuner because the owner of the local FOX channel refuses to accept Directv's terms for retransmission.

So what makes Fox worth it? Just curious...
post #13688 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

So what makes Fox worth it? Just curious...

Not FOX news, FOX network....so....

FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #13689 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Murray View Post

DirecTV should do a commercial with me. During the Hurricane we lost power so I start my generator I still had DirecTV service and I never lost it during the whole Hurricane. 2 days running on my generator and DIRECTV working perfect.;
That was me last year during the freak October snow storm.

Electric wires were down all over the place, but I could still watch TV.

Granted, my cable modem never went out, either, so I imagine I'd still have cable if that was my provider.
post #13690 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

That was me last year during the freak October snow storm.
Electric wires were down all over the place, but I could still watch TV.
Granted, my cable modem never went out, either, so I imagine I'd still have cable if that was my provider.

I know Comcast was out and is still out in my town. I had many people in my house watching the news because I was the only one who had TV LOL.
post #13691 of 14741
I have a question regarding DTV's whole home DVR. I currently have 4 boxes, 2 of which are HD DVR's (HR21 I believe), an HD Box, and a standrard box. They are coming out tomorrow replace my HD Box with an HD DVR, and to replace the standard box with a basic HD box. All of these will be connected to the Whole Home service, allowing me to share content.

My question is...I am already networked to my HD DVR boxes via ethernet/Lan to my existing router. Do I really need DTV's Cinema Connection Kit or whatever they call it? Can't I use my existing network connections for the Whole Home service?

I would appreciate feedback from anyone who is in the know on this. I have no problem using a port on my router for their box, if I need to, but if I don't need the extra hardware in my configuration, I am not gonna use it.
post #13692 of 14741
First, why not just switch the standard box with an HD-DVR?

Second, the majority of people that have tried both have found that whole home via coax works better than via ethernet. Plus, the CCK is supported and just using ethernet is not.
post #13693 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

First, why not just switch the standard box with an HD-DVR?
Second, the majority of people that have tried both have found that whole home via coax works better than via ethernet. Plus, the CCK is supported and just using ethernet is not.

Evidently their new HD box is a different version, so they are taking away the existing HD box. I also want the original HD box to be a DVR, and don't care whether the 4th is or not.

So their CCK box connects to my existing router, and the existing coax facilitates the network connection to all 4 boxes? I like that setup actually, and it would free up my own network drops.

Thanks for the feedback - good point about the CCK support. I certainly wouldn't want any issues to deal with in that regard!
post #13694 of 14741
ARe they giving you credits and low prices (like no money upfront or a lot of programming credits) for the whole home DVR upgrade, including the CCK?
post #13695 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

ARe they giving you credits and low prices (like no money upfront or a lot of programming credits) for the whole home DVR upgrade, including the CCK?

They are swapping the boxes out at no charge, and the service is $3/mo.

The setup fees are $49, one time.

Overall, I have to say DirecTV is pretty good about waiving charges, providing discounts if you ask and/or push for it. I have no complaints there whatsoever.
post #13696 of 14741
I'm brand-new to Directv coming from Time Warner/Tivo Premiere. My Wife and I were ambushed yesterday at Sam's Club by DTV running a promotion on the new "Genie." We took the bait. Too frustrating dealing with TWC. They're coming to install everything in two weeks. I'm getting the Genie and 1 client box. I have a few questions.
1. How do they hook everything up? Will they run everything through my existing coaxial lines? Any holes drilled?
2. How is the software on the Genie/HR34? Is the guide fast and responsive?
3. I've heard from people on the TW Thread that there is something called "compression" on DTV where it makes some of the channels not that clear.
That's all could think of at the moment. Thank you in advance.
post #13697 of 14741
^^^Don't have the Genie but have had recent installation of a new HD DVR in a bedroom (previously only had one SD DVR in living room.) I remember when D installed the SD box when we did the switch from cable about 8 years ago. D installers we've had did not use existing coax but installed all new, very neatly. When they did the SD box in the bedroom they took down the old dish and mounted a new one on the other side of the roof. We have crawlspace under the house so that's where all the cabling went. Everything was done very professionally, any holes are caulked.

Can't comment on speed of software on Genie but if it's anything like my HR-24 box it's as fast as I could expect.

As for compression--all digital signals are compressed, even OTA, though OTA gets the least as the only compression is that done by the broadcast station with no additional compression from sat/cable company. I've used both OTA and now DirecTV for local HD channels in that bedroom and see no difference between the OTA and DirecTV pq. Your TWC may actually have more compression than DirecTV. I know that in my area DirecTV has the best pq, Comcast is second, Dish is 3d, and ATT Uverse is worst. I've seen the Dish signal on demos where I work and at malls etc. and couldn't live with the amount of compression artifacts I see even on small tvs.
post #13698 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

^^^Don't have the Genie but have had recent installation of a new HD DVR in a bedroom (previously only had one SD DVR in living room.) I remember when D installed the SD box when we did the switch from cable about 8 years ago. D installers we've had did not use existing coax but installed all new, very neatly. When they did the SD box in the bedroom they took down the old dish and mounted a new one on the other side of the roof. We have crawlspace under the house so that's where all the cabling went. Everything was done very professionally, any holes are caulked.
Can't comment on speed of software on Genie but if it's anything like my HR-24 box it's as fast as I could expect.
As for compression--all digital signals are compressed, even OTA, though OTA gets the least as the only compression is that done by the broadcast station with no additional compression from sat/cable company. I've used both OTA and now DirecTV for local HD channels in that bedroom and see no difference between the OTA and DirecTV pq. Your TWC may actually have more compression than DirecTV. I know that in my area DirecTV has the best pq, Comcast is second, Dish is 3d, and ATT Uverse is worst. I've seen the Dish signal on demos where I work and at malls etc. and couldn't live with the amount of compression artifacts I see even on small tvs.

Thanks for all the info. We went with the Choice Ultimate Package but I'm thinking about switching to the next one up. I think it's called the Premiere Package with all the spots channels. I looked on my channel lineup that the DTV Guys gave and didn't see any of the Fox Sports Channels listed on the Ulitmate Choice, only on the Premiere. Do you have any insight on that or should I call DTV and ask them?
post #13699 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

Thanks for all the info. We went with the Choice Ultimate Package but I'm thinking about switching to the next one up. I think it's called the Premiere Package with all the spots channels. I looked on my channel lineup that the DTV Guys gave and didn't see any of the Fox Sports Channels listed on the Ulitmate Choice, only on the Premiere. Do you have any insight on that or should I call DTV and ask them?

I seem to remember ordering the sports pack which included all of those channels for like 12/month. Might be an option vs. upgrading the base package.

If you tell DTV that you were interested, but it seemed expensive, I am positive they'll give you a deal for at least 12 months. They are good about coming up with deals and options.
post #13700 of 14741
If you go up to the premium package you shoud get all the sports channels and movie channels,like HBO,CINEMAX,showtime ,movie channel and STARZ,
post #13701 of 14741
There is HD content on On Demand with some channels not offered regularly in HD by DirecTV.For example, HD be found on Cooking Channel, H2, and TV Land. Maybe these channels' HD will regularly get join DirecTV.
post #13702 of 14741
So ... anybody know what's up with the Showtime package? Are D* and CBS/Showtime having a lover's spat? ... Did Sandy knock out some uplink equipment somewhere???
post #13703 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

So ... anybody know what's up with the Showtime package? Are D* and CBS/Showtime having a lover's spat? ... Did Sandy knock out some uplink equipment somewhere???

To answer my own question, it's Sandy related ... carry on ...
post #13704 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

Thanks for all the info. We went with the Choice Ultimate Package but I'm thinking about switching to the next one up. I think it's called the Premiere Package with all the spots channels. I looked on my channel lineup that the DTV Guys gave and didn't see any of the Fox Sports Channels listed on the Ulitmate Choice, only on the Premiere. Do you have any insight on that or should I call DTV and ask them?

If you are only interested in your local Fox Sports channel, you should get that as part of any "basic" package without a significant upgrade. Also be advised that if you get the Sports Pack with all the local sports networks, any professional sports on those channels not in your basic geographic area will be blacked out. That's how they get you to purchase the additional packages including MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass, NHL CenterIce, and of course, Sunday Ticket for all the out of area NFL games.

SMK
post #13705 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

If you are only interested in your local Fox Sports channel, you should get that as part of any "basic" package without a significant upgrade. Also be advised that if you get the Sports Pack with all the local sports networks, any professional sports on those channels not in your basic geographic area will be blacked out. That's how they get you to purchase the additional packages including MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass, NHL CenterIce, and of course, Sunday Ticket for all the out of area NFL games.
SMK

That's good to know. I think I'll just stick with the Choice Ulitimate since I'm really only interested in Fox Sports Kansas City/Midwest. I get all the HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Stars, etc.. for free for 3 months plus were keeping HBO and Showtime with our package. Does anyone know how much Fox Sports KC/Midwest will cost to add on to my package?
post #13706 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

That's good to know. I think I'll just stick with the Choice Ulitimate since I'm really only interested in Fox Sports Kansas City/Midwest. I get all the HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Stars, etc.. for free for 3 months plus were keeping HBO and Showtime with our package. Does anyone know how much Fox Sports KC/Midwest will cost to add on to my package?
As Roy said, it should come with your basic package so long as you're in the network's "home" area. And if you live in that home area, you'll get everything FSKC airs. It's the RSNs outside of your home territory that cost extra and where pro sports will be unavailable to you without the add-on pro sports packages.
post #13707 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

That's good to know. I think I'll just stick with the Choice Ulitimate since I'm really only interested in Fox Sports Kansas City/Midwest. I get all the HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Stars, etc.. for free for 3 months plus were keeping HBO and Showtime with our package. Does anyone know how much Fox Sports KC/Midwest will cost to add on to my package?

ALL base packages from Choice on up, come with your local RSN(s) as part of the pkg. DO understand that even if you add on the Sports Pak, you will NOT gain anymore additional sports teams in your local market in the majority of cases. All other pro (& some college) sports on those other RSN's WILL be blacked out.

If you just simply put your zip in this link, it will tell you exactly what RSN(s) come with your base pkg, as well as the individual sports teams that come with them as well. (ie: NOT blacked out) If getting the Sports Pak will net you any other teams, it will tell you that as well:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=3450006
post #13708 of 14741
Hi! I'm considering returning to Directv. Previously I had Whole Home DVR w/ 2 HR24 & a HD receiver. My question is will a Genie HR34 and a HR24 work together within the system? Also, would I then be able to record 7 shows as once? I'd really like to have the convenience of the Genie but I don't want to take the chance of it taking my whole system out of service should a problem occur.

TIA
post #13709 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Hi! I'm considering returning to Directv. Previously I had Whole Home DVR w/ 2 HR24 & a HD receiver. My question is will a Genie HR34 and a HR24 work together within the system?

Yes, both will see each other's hard drives; also, if you were to add on H24 or H25 HD receivers, or C31 clients, those ALSO will see all DVR hard drives as well. (they are adding this feature to all C31 clients with a software update as we speak... wink.gif )
Note that you cannot program shows remotely between the DVR's; you have to either do it directly from each one, or thru the H24/35/C31 boxes.

Do keep in mind though, ONLY the C31's can do "trick play" on live TV...but each one does steal a tuner out of the Genie, since they have no tuners of their own.
Quote:
Also, would I then be able to record 7 shows as once?

Yes
Quote:
I'd really like to have the convenience of the Genie but I don't want to take the chance of it taking my whole system out of service should a problem occur.

Totally agree with you smile.gif
post #13710 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Murray View Post

DirecTV should do a commercial with me. During the Hurricane we lost power so I start my generator I still had DirecTV service and I never lost it during the whole Hurricane. 2 days running on my generator and DIRECTV working perfect.;



You should do a commercial with your generator company, not D*. You can extoll the nice stable output voltages of their products. biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › DirecTV HDTV