or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › DirecTV HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DirecTV HDTV - Page 459

post #13741 of 14741
Yes
post #13742 of 14741
I’ve never had SatTv, and would like opinions on reception. I like the price and channel lineup from Dish but in my area [Omaha, NE], N-o-b-o-d-y likes them.

In fairness to Dish the people I talked with had them years ago, not recently. I also live very close to a military base if that matters.

When I read the Dish HDTV forums, the complaints are more channel related than service / reception.

Bottom line, I really want to go with Dish, but with a low fixed income, I can’t afford to throw money away.

Opinions from people who have had both services would be appreciated.
post #13743 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trac View Post

I’ve never had SatTv, and would like opinions on reception. I like the price and channel lineup from Dish but in my area [Omaha, NE], N-o-b-o-d-y likes them.

In fairness to Dish the people I talked with had them years ago, not recently. I also live very close to a military base if that matters.

When I read the Dish HDTV forums, the complaints are more channel related than service / reception.

Bottom line, I really want to go with Dish, but with a low fixed income, I can’t afford to throw money away.

Opinions from people who have had both services would be appreciated.

I haven't had dish but friends of mine have it and I have DirecTV. IMO the quality of DirecTV IS MUCH better than Dish. The channel lineup is also IMO is much better. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
post #13744 of 14741
You realize this is a Directv thread right?
post #13745 of 14741
Start with the channel listing and choose the provider based on that first.
post #13746 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

You realize this is a Directv thread right?
Yea, but many have switched from Dish, I'm, curious if it's reception or channel listing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Start with the channel listing and choose the provider based on that first.
As I originally stated, I like the channel listing and price of Dish. Just thought dtv owners might have an unbiased opinion of the reception issue. Primarily, is the equipment faulty, lower quality or is it an installation issue.

I'll see what the Dish thread has to say.
post #13747 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Can't comment on the internet glitch. Regarding the thumbnail I get it more often than not, depending on the particular show and channel. Sometimes there just isn't an available image. I'm actually surprised at some of them--I'll click on some foreign film in the guide and the thumbnail will be of the original foreign release poster or dvd art and the title will be different from the US release. Many ommissions are on TCM for older films never released on dvd.

I was at my In-Laws for Thanksgiving and they have DirecTV. About 95% of everything in their guide/list had the thumbnail in the top-right. Mine only has a few here and there. If I go through my whole guide (about 200+ channels) I'm lucky if I see three thumbnails of the movie/tv show. Also, after the install on Tuesday Night my guide was very fast and responsive and I was very impressed with the speed of everything. Yesterday and today it seems slow and buggy. Takes about 5 seconds or more to respond from button push. Could all of this be from the Genie still downloading info? As I mentioned before I have one client box and it requires that small seperate box that plugs into the router via ethernet and then into the genie via coaxial cable. Would it make any difference if I add another ethernet cable from my router to the Genie? Sorry for all the questions but the installers were not that helpful.
post #13748 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trac View Post

Yea, but many have switched from Dish, I'm, curious if it's reception or channel listing.
As I originally stated, I like the channel listing and price of Dish. Just thought dtv owners might have an unbiased opinion of the reception issue. Primarily, is the equipment faulty, lower quality or is it an installation issue.
I'll see what the Dish thread has to say.

Dish does have a dish configuration requirement that is a bit wonky, but with proper setup it works as well as any. It's just not as tolerant of idiot installers.
post #13749 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

Just got Genie and service installed Tue Night. So far I'm ipressed with everything. Have one client box. Last night as I was trying to activate some of the different apps and it said I had no internet. I did have internet (laptop, ps3). Everything worked but apps and the client box. Had to restart the box to resolve it. Does this happen often? I was under the impression from the guy who sold me this package and various info on the Directv Site that there would be movie poster thumbnails of the movie/tv show inside the guide info/list info. There is not. I have seen a couple of shows display this but only about 10% of the time. Thanks in advance.

Mine says that about the internet a lot. I just unplug the network cable from the internet inserter box dongle thingy and it seems to solve that problem. Mine does show the thumbnails in the upper right corner of the guide while browsing the guide.
post #13750 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

You realize this is a Directv thread right?
Now that's hilarious smile.gif

Ok seriously, I just never like DISH for reasons I don't know. My parents have it and every time I visit and use it I feel it's so 2nd rate compared to directv. It's like they're not as sharp and advance as directv. And IMHO the PQ is better too.
post #13751 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I was at my In-Laws for Thanksgiving and they have DirecTV. About 95% of everything in their guide/list had the thumbnail in the top-right. Mine only has a few here and there. If I go through my whole guide (about 200+ channels) I'm lucky if I see three thumbnails of the movie/tv show.
My guess is, the system is still populating that stuff. It might take several days to fully aquire all the extra information.

I know myself, nearly every listing has a thumbnail image. If I could give you mine, I'd be glad to since I really don't care whether I have them or not.
post #13752 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Anyone ever have the screensaver come on while watching tv?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Yes

That's just a sign you've had the TV on too long. wink.gif
post #13753 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

My guess is, the system is still populating that stuff. It might take several days to fully aquire all the extra information.
I know myself, nearly every listing has a thumbnail image. If I could give you mine, I'd be glad to since I really don't care whether I have them or not.

it took a good 3 or so days for my Hr-24 to fully populate the guide etc. I've found that with D boxes (or any other box I've had) it helps to unplug it and reboot when guide etc. gets slow or buggy, but I wouldn't do it on new installation until it's had 3 or 4 days to stabilize.
post #13754 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trac View Post

I’ve never had SatTv, and would like opinions on reception. I like the price and channel lineup from Dish but in my area [Omaha, NE], N-o-b-o-d-y likes them.
In fairness to Dish the people I talked with had them years ago, not recently. I also live very close to a military base if that matters.
When I read the Dish HDTV forums, the complaints are more channel related than service / reception.
Bottom line, I really want to go with Dish, but with a low fixed income, I can’t afford to throw money away.
Opinions from people who have had both services would be appreciated.

I have current experience with both (DirecTV at home and Dish on one of the demo sets at work). PQ is definitely better on DirecTV--Lots more overcompression on Dish. This is obvious on both local channels and nationwide "cable channels". It's not a matter of installation either--with digital there is no gradual deterioration as signal strength goes down-it's either as good as it's gonna get or not there at all.
post #13755 of 14741
As I suspected the Genie was still downloading/populating info. I checked today and pretty much every listing has a thumbnail. The guide still seems a bit slow especially since I know how fast it can be, as it was super fast and responsive for about 8 hrs after the install. I'll give it through the wknd before I call DTV or try a reboot. Thanks for all the info.
post #13756 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

As I suspected the Genie was still downloading/populating info. I checked today and pretty much every listing has a thumbnail. The guide still seems a bit slow especially since I know how fast it can be, as it was super fast and responsive for about 8 hrs after the install. I'll give it through the wknd before I call DTV or try a reboot. Thanks for all the info.

Are the Genie's really responsive, I've got two HR20-100s and I think it's an HR23-100 and they are all slow as can be, they used to all be very responsive, but they've all been just dogs for the last what seems like a year, but they definitely have become very sluggish and changing channels by directly punching in the channel can be infuriating as it only recognizes a button press here and there and it's just ridiculous compared to how the units functioned for many years prior to the new guides, which didn't really do a thing for me, but sure did slow the entire surfing experience to a crawl and made it a very frustrating experience.
post #13757 of 14741

My Genie is very responsive.

post #13758 of 14741
My Genie is fairly unresponsive - not as bad as my old HR21, but not real quick either.
post #13759 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Anyone ever have the screensaver come on while watching tv?

Yes, has ruined my HD recordings of the American Music Awards and of the HD version of a Matt Helm movie showed by Sony this afternoon. I talked to a friend who says she also gets the screensaver coming on while watching, and so do her parents. Isn't DirecTV addressing this issue?!
post #13760 of 14741
I have 5 HD DVRs and have never seen it happen, have you contacted them about a replacement?
post #13761 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

I have 5 HD DVRs and have never seen it happen, have you contacted them about a replacement?

Appears to be a widespread problem, so it may not be related to a defective receiver. The new programming may just have the screensaver pop up peridiodically if you don't press any of the remote buttons after so many minutes.
post #13762 of 14741
Well, my DirecTV HD DVR (HR24-500) stopped responding to my remote control and so I rebooted it, and as I dreaded, after the self-check it reported there was a problem with the hard drive and gave me a code to give to Customer Service. They said they are going to send me out another DVR in the mail and to expect it within 3 days. Sucks I just lost all my DVR recordings, but o well. First world problems!!

Question - If I did NOT have the 5.99 support plan would they be harassing me to pay for a replacement DVR?? I am not sure if my 5.99 plan played any part in getting a replacement without incident.
post #13763 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post

Well, my DirecTV HD DVR (HR24-500) stopped responding to my remote control and so I rebooted it, and as I dreaded, after the self-check it reported there was a problem with the hard drive and gave me a code to give to Customer Service. They said they are going to send me out another DVR in the mail and to expect it within 3 days. Sucks I just lost all my DVR recordings, but o well. First world problems!!
Question - If I did NOT have the 5.99 support plan would they be harassing me to pay for a replacement DVR?? I am not sure if my 5.99 plan played any part in getting a replacement without incident.
Without a doubt
post #13764 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Without a doubt

I don't really understand DirecTV's policy on the equipment. I have to pay a monthly lease and if the device you gave me fails than I have to pay shipping and then other fees associated with a new box?? I know Comcast and Uverse never handled device issues in this manner. Also, when I asked to change out a box a year ago from SD to HD they insisted I sign up for another 2 year agreement or pay $100 for the HD box. Annoying to say the least. I don't know what makes these boxes so special they treat it like I own it, but then charge me a monthly lease and if I cancel my service you also want the equipment back?
post #13765 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post

If I did NOT have the 5.99 support plan would they be harassing me to pay for a replacement DVR?? I am not sure if my 5.99 plan played any part in getting a replacement without incident.

NO, the ONLY benefit you get with the PPP on receivers, is that you normally have to pay $20 S&H to have a replacement receiver sent; otherwise, they are replaced FREE as long as it is a leased receiver. And most of the time, you can very easily get them to waive the S&H fee, particularly if you are a good, long-term customer. I've had many clients have to get replacement receivers, & they all had NO problem getting the S&H waived. (after I told them this secret wink.gif )

Personally, I think the PPP is a total waste of money, & discourage my clients from getting it. Even if you have a receiver break EVERY year, you're still money ahead over spending $72/year.
post #13766 of 14741
i have the genie and 1 client. the client is super slow but the genie is not much faster. genie was unbelievably fast for about 12 hrs after install last week but then became sluggish. i rebooted a few days later and it seemed faster but it is now slow again. should i reboot again or call tech support ?
post #13767 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post

Well, my DirecTV HD DVR (HR24-500) stopped responding to my remote control and so I rebooted it, and as I dreaded, after the self-check it reported there was a problem with the hard drive and gave me a code to give to Customer Service. They said they are going to send me out another DVR in the mail and to expect it within 3 days. Sucks I just lost all my DVR recordings, but o well. First world problems!!
Question - If I did NOT have the 5.99 support plan would they be harassing me to pay for a replacement DVR?? I am not sure if my 5.99 plan played any part in getting a replacement without incident.
We have never had the protection plan & have replaced 4 or 5 broken receivers (since the 1990's) without charge or shipping cost. Might be because of being a long-time customer, as dishrich mentioned above. At the most, you should only have to pay for shipping on a replacement.
post #13768 of 14741
The reason I have the P/P is I live in East TX and it's because of several lighting storms we have every year. I don't remember how many receivers I've had to replace over the years.

Not to mention a couple of dishes,wiring,TV's,computers,phones you get my drift it's just piece of mind for me.wink.gif
post #13769 of 14741
Ditto for the same situation in South Florida. Torrential thunderstorms, Tropical storms, Hurricanes, searing heat, etc, etc. Need the PP, especially for outside wiring, connectors, Dish parts. etc.

Where can u buy insurance priced at $5.99/mo on anything? Wish I could find health insurance pricing that was at that price!biggrin.gif
post #13770 of 14741
The flip side of that is, if I had paid for the protection plan since I started with DirecTV in 1996, I would have paid $1,152.00 so far and got nothing in return. wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › DirecTV HDTV