or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › DirecTV HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DirecTV HDTV - Page 460

post #13771 of 14743
Do you get all the monies paid in to health insurance, homeowner's ins, auto ins every year back in services every year?

Of course the answer is NO.
post #13772 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic_D View Post

The flip side of that is, if I had paid for the protection plan since I started with DirecTV in 1996, I would have paid $1,152.00 so far and got nothing in return. wink.gif
I'm in the same boat as you.

I've never had the protection plan (customer since 1998) and have have only paid for one receiver: my UltimateTV receiver I bought for $100 in 1999. My orginal SD receiver, my current DVR and 3 different dishes over the years were no charge.

Of course, I've never had a receiver die on me. My DVR hard drive died at one point, but I found it easier to simply swap it out myself. That way, it guaranteed I'd have the same type and it gave me more space. I had been planning to hook up an external drive, but when the internal drive died, I found it cheaper to get a large internal drive instead. I'll probably just swap the old drive back in should I ever cancel or get a new box.
post #13773 of 14743
Damn DirecTV screensaver came on again while recording a movie, this time ruining my HD recording of "Collateral". Last week it ruined my HD recording of the American Music Awards. It is happening also to a friend of mine and her family. Doesn't anyone is this forum give a damn about the problem? All I receive is it is a trivial matter.

Appears there are more complaints about this issue than any other regarding DirecTV. And from what I hear the people at DirecTv seems like that the screensaver is not a problem. They said all I have to do is change channels to get it to come off." Not only is that unacceptable respone for those just watching television, but it ruins anyone trying to archive an HD program to BD-R.
Edited by igreg - 12/1/12 at 1:57am
post #13774 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Damn DirecTV screensaver came on again while recording a movie, this time ruining my HD recording of "Collateral". Last week it ruined my HD recording of the American Music Awards. It is happening also to a friend of mine and her family. Doesn't anyone is this forum give a damn about the problem? All I receive is it is a trivial matter.
Appears there are more complaints about this issue than any other regarding DirecTV. And from what I hear the people at DirecTv seems like that the screensaver is not a problem. They said all I have to do is change channels to get it to come off." Not only is that unacceptable respone for those just watching television, but it ruins anyone trying to archive an HD program to BD-R.
I haven't had this problem yet with my HR-34. That would definitely make me a little angry though.
post #13775 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Damn DirecTV screensaver came on again while recording a movie, this time ruining my HD recording of "Collateral". Last week it ruined my HD recording of the American Music Awards. It is happening also to a friend of mine and her family. Doesn't anyone is this forum give a damn about the problem? All I receive is it is a trivial matter.
Appears there are more complaints about this issue than any other regarding DirecTV. And from what I hear the people at DirecTv seems like that the screensaver is not a problem. They said all I have to do is change channels to get it to come off." Not only is that unacceptable respone for those just watching television, but it ruins anyone trying to archive an HD program to BD-R.

Not many of have ever seen this problem. How many people have posted about it on this forum?
post #13776 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

Not many of have ever seen this problem. How many people have posted about it on this forum?

Do a search on google. It's all over the place.
post #13777 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

it ruins anyone trying to archive an HD program to BD-R.
You realize that, to DirecTV and the studios it deals with, making copyable discs of programming isn't something they want the public to do. Whether you feel that's your right (and I'm on your side, there) or not. Might be why the issue isn't a priority for them.

FWIW, I only get the floating D screensaver when something disrupts the signal. Rain fade, software update, power glitch that forces a reboot. Any of those and, after the receiver comes back up, the screensaver will kick in after a bit. But I'm working with an older receiver.
post #13778 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardballpete View Post

Do you get all the monies paid in to health insurance, homeowner's ins, auto ins every year back in services every year?
Of course the answer is NO.

Of course not.

However, health insurance isn't just for when you're sick. You use it to pay for preventative care and annual checkups. So, I get something out of that for my money.

As far as car insurance, you kind of do get something even if you never use it. Driving safely and being a long term customer lowers your rate and gives you more forgiveness when you do have an accident. The main thing is it protects you from people doing stupid stuff and wrecking you.

The thing is though, neither of those examples you gave apply here. The insurance companies don't own my body or my car.

D* owns the equipment. As long as I pay my bills and don't do something obviously stupid like toss the receiver out the window, they're obligated to maintain and replace it if defective.

The better example would be a rental car. I don't have to elect for the insurance coverage to get a replacement car if it breaks down on me. They're obligated to provide me with a working vehicle. That goes for apartments, too.
post #13779 of 14743
I just had an update (11/29) for my H21-100 non-dvr receiver. 0x462c Anybody know what this is for?
post #13780 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pro View Post

I just had an update (11/29) for my H21-100 non-dvr receiver. 0x462c Anybody know what this is for?


I don't. However I do know these updates happen quite frequently with my receiver. I have a HD DVR receiver.
post #13781 of 14743
Nothing is changed it's supposed to be for added stability, just some tweaks.
post #13782 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pro View Post

I just had an update (11/29) for my H21-100 non-dvr receiver. 0x462c Anybody know what this is for?

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/294895-H2x-HR2x-Software-Release-11-28-12-v-0x062C-0x462C
post #13783 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

You realize that, to DirecTV and the studios it deals with, making copyable discs of programming isn't something they want the public to do. Whether you feel that's your right (and I'm on your side, there) or not. Might be why the issue isn't a priority for them.
FWIW, I only get the floating D screensaver when something disrupts the signal. Rain fade, software update, power glitch that forces a reboot. Any of those and, after the receiver comes back up, the screensaver will kick in after a bit. But I'm working with an older receiver.

Yes, I could see that. They felt the same way about the VHS recorder. But that issue has already been decided. The Supreme Court's decision in the case of Sony v. Universal City Studios, involving the home use of video recorders and the federal copyright law, determined that the former did not infringe on the latter as long as the copied material was not used for profit. Regardless, DirecTV's views on recording has no correlation to the screensaver problem.

By the way, AVS has its own technical glitch; when trying to edit posts there is no cursor to show your place in your text. You have to guess.

**I just pulled up your post and I see a cursor just fine in edit mode. -Doc**
post #13784 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

DirecTV's views on recording has no correlation to the screensaver problem.
Sure it does when it comes to prioritizing glitches to fix. They'd rather you pay more and rent their DVRs.
post #13785 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

By the way, AVS has its own technical glitch; when trying to edit posts there is no cursor to show your place in your text. You have to guess.
Are you using a tablet to access the site? I only ask because I get a curser on my Windows computer, but I don't get one using my Android tablet.
post #13786 of 14743
First, DirecTV shouldn't care, because it does not own the material. If the ability to record material helps its customer base, then DirecTV would be all for it. Ever since the VCR, the ability to record and archive progamming has been a cherished ability by consumers. If you don't beleive me, check out all the recorings of televison programming on YouTube.

Secondly, for many the popping up of the screensaver is bothersome not because of the recording aspect (but still a problem, even if recording in SD), but due to the nuisance factor and due to the inability to rewind the programming once the screensaver comes on; i.e., you walk away for your television to do an errand, planning to come back and rewind the program up tom ninety minutes and catch the show, only to find the screensaver on and the inability to watch your program.

What is infuriating to me is the number of members of this forum who don't see a problem with a screensaver popping up when watching television. Unbelievable.

P.S. Would you address the aforementioned technical glitch on AVS?
Edited by igreg - 12/2/12 at 12:37pm
post #13787 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Damn DirecTV screensaver came on again while recording a movie, this time ruining my HD recording of "Collateral". Last week it ruined my HD recording of the American Music Awards. It is happening also to a friend of mine and her family. Doesn't anyone is this forum give a damn about the problem? All I receive is it is a trivial matter.

Appears there are more complaints about this issue than any other regarding DirecTV. And from what I hear the people at DirecTv seems like that the screensaver is not a problem. They said all I have to do is change channels to get it to come off." Not only is that unacceptable respone for those just watching television, but it ruins anyone trying to archive an HD program to BD-R.

I've never had the DirecTV screensaver come on, on several different boxes, except when I walk away in pause mode, never while I'm watching something, what exactly are you doing when it comes on? Just watching and have the dvr recording? How do you archive to BD-R?
post #13788 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I've never had the DirecTV screensaver come on, on several different boxes, except when I walk away in pause mode, never while I'm watching something, what exactly are you doing when it comes on? Just watching and have the dvr recording? How do you archive to BD-R?

Thanks for the question. I record using the DVR in my bedroom because of easier access. Recently when attempting to record HD video to my PC via the component outputs on the Hauppauge HD PVR the DirecTV screensaver has been coming on while the recording is occurring. I don't know if it is occurring when I record directly to the DirecTV DVR, but I haven't seen that occur yet. But it does take longer to internally record to the DVR and then have to record again to your PC.

With the Hauppauge HD PVR you can record HD to your PC's hard drive via the component outputs of your DirecTV DVR. The Hauppauge HD PVR comes with software to enable the recording. It also comes with software, albeit not too user friendly, to burn the HD recordings to DVD-R or DVD+R (you can record longer video using DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL). DVD-R and DVD+R are known as BD5 and the double layer is known as BD9. The Hauppauge HDR also lets you record in 5.1 Dolby Digital by using the optical output of your DirecTV DVR. The DirecTV receiver is connected first to the Hauppauge HD DVR and then via a USB cable from the Hauppauge HD DVR to your PC.

These are AVCHD recordings and will play back in your Blu-Ray player; e.g., Sony PS3, in HD, although the resolution is capped at 13.5 Mbps (although I have seen it higher in my recordings; the level of resolution changes from scene to scene in your recordings). Most camcorders record in AVCHD and limit your resolution to 18 Mbps if burning to DVD. To achieve greater resolution, you need to burn to Blu-Ray; e.g., BD-R or BD-RE. These give you the capability of burning at least 2.5 hours of the highest HD quality (or 5 hours with double layer). With DVD DL you are limited to about 75-80 minutes of HD at 13.5 Mbps.

The software that comes with the Hauppauge HD DVR makes editing difficult, and any edit can only be burned to a DVD-R or DV+R. You cannot burn to BD-R. However, by purchasing software such TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 you can easily edit the recordings at the single frame level and burn to BD-R. Plus the edited file is saved to your PC's hard drive (with the included Hauppauge software any edited file is not saved to your PC's hard drive). So you can record a three-hour show such as the Grammys and by editing the commercials the entire program can fit easily onto a single BD-R, which can now be purchased for about one dollar a disk.

What is really cool is that with Windows Media Center and the Hauppauge external TV tuner (WinTV-HVR-1950) you can record over-the-air ATSC signals (HD signals) to your PC, and via using the TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 software you can burn these recordings from your PC to either DVD or BD-R. And the quality here is better than the Hauppauge HD DVR. I have seen recordings as high as 25 Mbs. And it records in Dolby Digital 5.1
post #13789 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I've never had the DirecTV screensaver come on, on several different boxes, except when I walk away in pause mode, never while I'm watching something, what exactly are you doing when it comes on? Just watching and have the dvr recording? How do you archive to BD-R?

Thanks for the question. I record using the DVR in my bedroom because of easier access. Recently when attempting to record HD video to my PC via the component outputs on the Hauppauge HD PVR the DirecTV screensaver has been coming on while the recording is occurring. I don't know if it is occurring when I record directly to the DirecTV DVR, but I haven't seen that occur yet. But it does take longer to internally record to the DVR and then have to record again to your PC.

With the Hauppauge HD PVR you can record HD to your PC's hard drive via the component outputs of your DirecTV DVR. The Hauppauge HD PVR comes with software to enable the recording. It also comes with software, albeit not too user friendly, to burn the HD recordings to DVD-R or DVD+R (you can record longer video using DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL). DVD-R and DVD+R are known as BD5 and the double layer is known as BD9. The Hauppauge HDR also lets you record in 5.1 Dolby Digital by using the optical output of your DirecTV DVR. The DirecTV receiver is connected first to the Hauppauge HD DVR and then via a USB cable from the Hauppauge HD DVR to your PC.

These are AVCHD recordings and will play back in your Blu-Ray player; e.g., Sony PS3, in HD, although the resolution is capped at 13.5 Mbps (although I have seen it higher in my recordings; the level of resolution changes from scene to scene in your recordings). Most camcorders record in AVCHD and limit your resolution to 18 Mbps if burning to DVD. To achieve greater resolution, you need to burn to Blu-Ray; e.g., BD-R or BD-RE. These give you the capability of burning at least 2.5 hours of the highest HD quality (or 5 hours with double layer). With DVD DL you are limited to about 75-80 minutes of HD at 13.5 Mbps.

The software that comes with the Hauppauge HD DVR makes editing difficult, and any edit can only be burned to a DVD-R or DV+R. You cannot burn to BD-R. However, by purchasing software such TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 you can easily edit the recordings at the single frame level and burn to BD-R. Plus the edited file is saved to your PC's hard drive (with the included Hauppauge software any edited file is not saved to your PC's hard drive). So you can record a three-hour show such as the Grammys and by editing the commercials the entire program can fit easily onto a single BD-R, which can now be purchased for about one dollar a disk.

What is really cool is that with Windows Media Center and the Hauppauge external TV tuner (WinTV-HVR-1950) you can record over-the-air ATSC signals (HD signals) to your PC, and via using the TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 software you can burn these recordings from your PC to either DVD or BD-R. And the quality here is better than the Hauppauge HD DVR. I have seen recordings as high as 25 Mbs. And it records in Dolby Digital 5.1

Hadn't seen the Hauppauge unit before, thanks, that's interesting. Which DirecTV box are you using? Do you get the screensaver coming on when not using the Hauppauge unit? Are you using the HDMI on the DirecTV box at all?
post #13790 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Hadn't seen the Hauppauge unit before, thanks, that's interesting. Which DirecTV box are you using? Do you get the screensaver coming on when not using the Hauppauge unit? Are you using the HDMI on the DirecTV box at all?

No, I have not seen the screensaver come on unless using the Hauppauge HD PVR (but not usually watching television on that set). But I don't see how that could influence the onset of the screensaver. I only have one tuner connected, and I have seen a post that said that could be the reason for the onset of the screensaver. The problem does not occur on my plasma in my living room.

I use composite to the bedroom TV; it is a Sony SD television.

The DirecTV receiver is the HR20-700.
post #13791 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

No, I have not seen the screensaver come on unless using the Hauppauge HD PVR (but not usually watching television on that set). But I don't see how that could influence the onset of the screensaver. I only have one tuner connected, and I have seen a post that said that could be the reason for the onset of the screensaver. The problem does not occur on my plasma in my living room.

I use composite to the bedroom TV; it is a Sony SD television.

The DirecTV receiver is the HR20-700.

Try the resetting of the DirecTV box or double dash thing on the remote like in this thread http://forums.directtv.com/pe/action/forums/displaythread?rootPostID=10992789&previousElementId=11002668 ?
post #13792 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Try the resetting of the DirecTV box or double dash thing on the remote like in this thread http://forums.directtv.com/pe/action/forums/displaythread?rootPostID=10992789&previousElementId=11002668 ?


Thanks for the suggestions. I have already tried those procedures with no success. If I could tell the receiver I am using just one tuner that may work, but I do not know how to accompish that task. Do you? Tx.
post #13793 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Thanks for the suggestions. I have already tried those procedures with no success. If I could tell the receiver I am using just one tuner that may work, but I do not know how to accompish that task. Do you? Tx.

I ran my HR22 with just one tuner at times when I would bring it into another room that had only one connection, didn't have this issue; on my HR24 it was installed with just one connection so it's using only one tuner (the HR20 simply died and I decided with the whole home thing I've got now it could just live in the room with one connection).

Did the DirecTV settings menu ever have a setting control for screen saver? Just see the 4 hour power saver thing now.

Too bad DirecTV isn't more help on this. Wonder how the box would be fooled into thinking it's not in use or that it's on pause? With HDMI I can somewhat see that, but not component....
Edited by lovinthehd - 12/2/12 at 5:51pm
post #13794 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I ran my HR22 with just one tuner at times when I would bring it into another room that had only one connection, didn't have this issue; on my HR24 it was installed with just one connection so it's using only one tuner (the HR20 simply died and I decided with the whole home thing I've got now it could just live in the room with one connection).
Did the DirecTV settings menu ever have a setting control for screen saver? Just see the 4 hour power saver thing now.
Too bad DirecTV isn't more help on this. Wonder how the box would be fooled into thinking it's not in use or that it's on pause? With HDMI I can somewhat see that, but not component....

No setting ever to control the screensaver. Have you had the set-up with one tuner recently with no problems? I'm not sure when the problem began with DirecTV. From searching with Google I see complaints going back to 2009, but most of the complaints are in 2012, and even more in the last few months.

I'm going to do some control experiments to see if the problem only occurs when I am attempting to record externally to the Hauppauge HD PVR real time. With he number of complaints (figure each complaints on a forum represents thousands of users) DirecTV should really address this issue, and if nothing else enable the user to shut off the screensaver capability (as with a PC).
post #13795 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I ran my HR22 with just one tuner at times when I would bring it into another room that had only one connection, didn't have this issue; on my HR24 it was installed with just one connection so it's using only one tuner (the HR20 simply died and I decided with the whole home thing I've got now it could just live in the room with one connection).
Did the DirecTV settings menu ever have a setting control for screen saver? Just see the 4 hour power saver thing now.
Too bad DirecTV isn't more help on this. Wonder how the box would be fooled into thinking it's not in use or that it's on pause? With HDMI I can somewhat see that, but not component....

No setting ever to control the screensaver. Have you had the set-up with one tuner recently with no problems? I'm not sure when the problem began with DirecTV. From searching with Google I see complaints going back to 2009, but most of the complaints are in 2012, and even more in the last few months.

I'm going to do some control experiments to see if the problem only occurs when I am attempting to record externally to the Hauppauge HD PVR real time. With he number of complaints (figure each complaints on a forum represents thousands of users) DirecTV should really address this issue, and if nothing else enable the user to shut off the screensaver capability (as with a PC).

My HR24 is fairly new and am running since installation with a single input so single tuner (and had them out here for problems with my dish direction as well, and I think they upgraded a part there); my HR22 died (I have the wrong model where I say it was a HR20 that died). H21 I have is the other box I've got now but only has the single tuner input in any case. I looked at some of the complaints about the screen saver thing, and seems quite a few have the issue and over a wide variation in time, so I'd suspect it's not just with your Hauppauge unit but maybe some analysis is still in order. I haven't been signed into this thread all that long, don't know if it's been mentioned much. Have you tried calling DirecTV's tech people?
post #13796 of 14743
DBSTalk.com is reporting that Showtime & Smithsonian is now available via DirecTV Everywhere http://www.directv.com/networks & Showtime Anytime is also live now as well via http://www.showtimeanytime.com/

They also increased HD content on Showtime VOD with more movies and full past seasons of popular original programming.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=210992

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=211000
post #13797 of 14743
That apparently includes the Showtime Anytime app for iPad and iPhone. The App. Store page lists participating providers as U-Verse, DirectTV and FIOS. When I checked it months ago, D* was not included.

Now cut a deal for the Watch ESPN app.
post #13798 of 14743
I believe ESPN has stated that they will not sign a separate agreement to add Watch ESPN/ESPN3/etc to existing agreements. Content providers either have to agree to terminate the existing agreement and sign a new one, or wait until the current agreement runs out and then get it included on their next agreement.

DirecTV has obviously chosen to wait until they negotiate a new agreement. Not sure when their current one runs out though.
post #13799 of 14743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Not sure when their current one runs out though.
I heard 2014.
post #13800 of 14743
Why is it a guarantee that Fox will end up in SD every single week? Saints Giants reverted to SD.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › DirecTV HDTV