or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › DirecTV HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DirecTV HDTV - Page 473

post #14161 of 14741
thanks for the reply.I forgot to mention that i use an ota on the hr20-700 in the family room.I live in S.fla so i really want to continue to use ota. I'll just have to call and see what if anything they can do for me.One thing i did want to ask is if i were to get the genie would they need to re do a complete install on the equipment.I have had mine the same for quite a few years now.
post #14162 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The sluggishness described is normal for DirecTV DVRs. It's been that way for years. If DirecTV could fix it, they would have a long time ago. The OP can raise hell and get one new DVR after another, but the situation will not change.

Not my normal experience with the delays he is talking about. Am I just lucky? On the whole home thing the rewind/ff is a bit slow but otherwise all commands work as expected.
post #14163 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post

Hope this is the right area but not sure where to post.My contract with D is up.I presently have a HR20-700 in the fam. room another HR20-700 in a tv room ,a H20-100 in master br,and a HR23 in another br.The hr20-700 dvr's are getting very slugggish at times slow response w/remote,sometimes on play back of recordings we get jitters/stall/dropouts etc.Just not all the time.I'd like to see what options i have from the experts here.I would like to replace all the DVR's as well as Add one to the Master BR replacing the H20-100.My significant other constantly records and then subsequently watches these programs that i dred.The other day she's watching one of her recordings and kept getting upset and saying "Y does it keep doing that!?" What can i ask or should ask for from D.thx
By any chance, when you refer to stalls, do you mean the video freezes for a bit, plays for a couple seconds, freezes, then plays again with no response to the remote during the freezes? Then, once it plays, you can jump back and the section plays fine?

If so, that's likely a drive going bad. It's going to be aggrevated by running the drive nearly full since it will keep using that same section over and over.

I wouldn't be surprised that if you did a red button reset it would find bad sectors during the self test.
post #14164 of 14741
Is this the DTV master thread? Anybody watching the bible show on history? On mine it's horrible choppy and looks absolutely terrible anytime there is a pan.

Flip it down to BBCA and it's 100% fine. What the heck. Is it just that channel?
post #14165 of 14741
Anyone other than me not get informed the rates were going up? I know it's that time of year again, but I didn't even get an email from them. BTW, what is a regional sports fee? Is this something else they just added or did they stop hiding it in the monthly package rate?




EDIT: I just found my answer on the HOTP thread. Yikes! They are talking $200 a month eventually! eek.gif


http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/hiestand-biz/2013/02/28/espn-cable-tv-regional-sports-networks-verizon-fox/1947197/
Edited by ti-triodes - 3/4/13 at 4:20pm
post #14166 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Anyone other than me not get informed the rates were going up? I know it's that time of year again, but I didn't even get an email from them. BTW, what is a regional sports fee? Is this something else they just added or did they stop hiding it in the monthly package rate?




EDIT: I just found my answer on the HOTP thread. Yikes! They are talking $200 a month eventually! eek.gif


http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/hiestand-biz/2013/02/28/espn-cable-tv-regional-sports-networks-verizon-fox/1947197/

Gotta pay those ridiculous salaries to those guys somehow...along with personal seat licenses, all the branded sportswear, etc. You want it, keep buying. Too bad we don't support actual school sports (and I'm not talking the college sports that are just about farm teams for the pros)....
post #14167 of 14741
What idoes this viewer authentication mean to me when I'm watching the NCAA BB tourney later this month?
post #14168 of 14741
MORE SPORTS
Fox wants to start a new 24-hour Fox Sports Network, according to New York Times article http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/05/sports/fox-planning-national-sports-network-it-hopes-can-challenge-espn.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
They will convert Speed Channel to Fox Sports 1 and later convert Fuel Channel to Fox Sports 2. Getting more money from D* ........good luck with that. But hey: it's MORE SPORTS!
post #14169 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Are the jitters only happening when watching recordings, or do they happen in live TV as well. If they happen when watching live TV then it is most likely a satellite signal issue and you may need to have them come adjust your dish. If it is only with recordings then it is probably the hard drives starting to fail in your DVRs. You can call DirecTV and tell them about the issue and they will send you replacment DVRs for free and without any new commitment. They however will not gaurantee what model DVRs you get. You could get anything from a HR20 to an HR24, whichever is sitting on top of the pile at the warehouse they ship them from. If you have them send an installer out to replace the DVRs for you then you might have a slightly better chance of getting an HR24 if the tech has some on hand (they don't always have them, so you get whatever they have).

Finally, you could ask them about getting a deal on the Genie and some thin clients. You could put the Genie in your family room (or TV room), and then place thin clients in the other three rooms. The Genie would allow you to record up to 5 channels at once all on that one DVR, and watch those recordings in any of the 4 rooms. Be aware though, watching live TV on the thin clients uses a tuner from the Genie. So if you are watching live TV on all three thin clients you will only be able to record 2 other channels on the genie at that same time (or record 3 if using 2 clients, etc). There have been many posts about existing customers getting good deals on upgrading to the Genie and thin clients lately. Many people are able to get it for free or for $50-100. It will require a new 2 year commitment though.

Yeah they're are some good deals on the genie if you call. I did to inquire about discounts because of the recent price hike. They offered me free genie and free shipping. Before I take the genie, what's the easiest way to store/take some essential recordings from my current dvr? Can I simply use a thumb drive ? I've got a lot of content for the kids that will make the transition to the genie difficult(for the kids wink.gif)
post #14170 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggz View Post

Yeah they're are some good deals on the genie if you call. I did to inquire about discounts because of the recent price hike. They offered me free genie and free shipping. Before I take the genie, what's the easiest way to store/take some essential recordings from my current dvr? Can I simply use a thumb drive ? I've got a lot of content for the kids that will make the transition to the genie difficult(for the kids wink.gif)
You have to actually play it out to another form of medium, such as recordable DVD, etc. or you lose it.

You can't export your stuff.
post #14171 of 14741
One of my HD receivers keeps telling me there is a new firmware available but when I try to move the arrow buttons to select and update it nothing happens. Next thing I know it goes into the TV Apps.

Weird.
post #14172 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

One of my HD receivers keeps telling me there is a new firmware available but when I try to move the arrow buttons to select and update it nothing happens. Next thing I know it goes into the TV Apps.

Weird.

In the past when people have had this happen it wasn't the DirecTV receiver telling them there was an update available it was the TV itself. Grab your TV remote and try it, or go into your TV's menu and try to update it.
post #14173 of 14741
Can't be my TV because I use a LCD computer monitor in this room. But what it might be is my Denon 1613 needing a firmware update instead of the DirecTV receiver.

Not use to having a network receiver as you can tell. wink.gif
post #14174 of 14741
Finally, a published equipment upgrade program. Here is the email I received:

We heard your feedback and have added several great new improvements to the DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN as a result, including an equipment upgrade every two years at no additional cost beyond the monthly charge. (Offer requires a renewed 24-month agreement.)* Effective May 16, 2013, the DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN will increase by $2 per month to $7.99. We're sure you'll agree that it's a small price to pay for these great new benefits. For a list of benefits, see chart below.

If you would like more information about upgrading your equipment, please call us at 1-800-531-5000 on or after May 16, 2013 and reference "upgrade my equipment" in our automated phone system.

You get even more protection and better benefits^

NEW BENEFIT: Equipment upgrade every two years at no additional cost beyond the monthly charge.

NEW BENEFIT: Unintentional and accidental damage from handling of the DIRECTV System.

And of course, you continue to get:

On-site repairs and the cost associated with replacing defective equipment.

Protection for every DIRECTV Receiver, remote, connection/switch, satellite antenna and wiring, plus dish antenna realignment.

24-hour technical support, 7 days a week.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV and Asurion Service Plans of Florida, Inc., Your DIRECTV Plan provider

It's about friggen time I don't have to play russian roulette with moronic CSR's and retention autobots, don't have to threaten, lie, cajole, beg, etc, etc to upgrade.
It's not perfect, but it's a HUGE leap.
post #14175 of 14741
Anyone have Nomad....Already use DirectvPc, but it's a little buggy. Have to have a solid 4 - 5 bars on the signal strength. Wondering is Nomad is any better. I tend to watch a lot of hockey games outside while enjoying a stogie. Sometimes the DirecTVPC just simply won't work.
post #14176 of 14741
I have the Nomad and like it a lot. I haven't really used the new live streaming feature of it though, so I don't know how well it would stack up against DirecTV2PC. I bet if you checked the threads over on DBSTalk.com someone would be able to help you out with that.

I mainly use mine for transferring recordings to my iPads to take with us when we are away from home for a few days, so we can still try to catch up on our shows.
post #14177 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

I have the Nomad and like it a lot. I haven't really used the new live streaming feature of it though, so I don't know how well it would stack up against DirecTV2PC. I bet if you checked the threads over on DBSTalk.com someone would be able to help you out with that.

I mainly use mine for transferring recordings to my iPads to take with us when we are away from home for a few days, so we can still try to catch up on our shows.
Personally, I wish they would simply create a DVR remote access app instead of going the hardware route.

All I want to do is watch stuff stored on my DVR remotely. Give me an app and as long as I authorize the remote device initially from within my home network (or authorize it on the D* site like you would an Amazon Kindle book reader), I should be able to use it to watch stuff from anywhere.
Edited by NetworkTV - 3/15/13 at 12:01pm
post #14178 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Personally, I wish they would simply create DVR remote access app instead of going the hardware route.

All I want to do is watch stuff stored on my DVR remotely. Give me an app and as long as I authorize the remote device initially from within my home network, I should be able to use it to watch stuff from anywhere.
+1!
post #14179 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Personally, I wish they would simply create a DVR remote access app instead of going the hardware route.

All I want to do is watch stuff stored on my DVR remotely. Give me an app and as long as I authorize the remote device initially from within my home network (or authorize it on the D* site like you would an Amazon Kindle book reader), I should be able to use it to watch stuff from anywhere.

That's the dream of all cable/satellite customers. Dish don't count because you have to pay for the sling box. It should be native to the provided DVR. Att has no excuse for not doing it as its IPTV.
post #14180 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogerBomb View Post

That's the dream of all cable/satellite customers. Dish don't count because you have to pay for the sling box. It should be native to the provided DVR. Att has no excuse for not doing it as its IPTV.
Actually Dish does count because sling is free. Maybe it wasn't back in the 922 days, but it is now. And I can do it with cable using WMC and Remote Potato or Plex.
post #14181 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogerBomb View Post

That's the dream of all cable/satellite customers. Dish don't count because you have to pay for the sling box. It should be native to the provided DVR. Att has no excuse for not doing it as its IPTV.

And besides the Dish 922 the new Hopper with Sling also has it built in.
post #14182 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogerBomb View Post

Dish don't count because you have to pay for the sling box. It should be native to the provided DVR.

DISH provided my slingbox FREE w/my 722k...
post #14183 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogerBomb View Post

Dish don't count because you have to pay for the sling box. It should be native to the provided DVR.

DISH raised my bill, to provide my slingbox FREE w/my 722k...
There, fixed it for you.
post #14184 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll 
DISH actually LOWERED dishrich's bill, gave him a 2nd 722k FREE, gave him TWO OTA tuner modules for both 722k's FREE, then upgraded 2 (more) of his receivers to HD FREE! (on top of his previous post)
I don't have to ever worry about getting things like this with MY service, since AT&T can't/doesn't provide such modern things as more adding more DVR (tuners), Slingboxes, OTA integration, & adding additional HDD space...


There, fixed it for you! tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
Edited by dishrich - 3/16/13 at 12:26pm
post #14185 of 14741
Anyone out there with an SD tuner: has anything crazy happened to your channels available this morning? Such as, the only channels I can get at this moment are 299, 300,355, and 364. Tried reset, same results. Maybe the box has fried itself? All my HD channels from H21 are normal. The SD on-screen guide only shows these 4 channels. Box is Sony Sat-A2, mfg'd 1996. System test says OK.
post #14186 of 14741
PROBLEM:

The last 3 days my HR-24 DVR has been changing the channel to the station that I program an early morning show.
It should remain on the channel that I have it tuned to.
I am not taping 2 shows at that time slot.

I have not taped any other shows to have a comparison.

Anyone have a similar issue, I have not intentionally reset any settings but I do not believe that there would be a setting for that?


Greg
post #14187 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pro View Post

Box is Sony Sat-A2, mfg'd 1996. System test says OK.

I'm surprised it's lasted this long ... my original Sony fried itself a long time ago.
post #14188 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

I'm surprised it's lasted this long ... my original Sony fried itself a long time ago.

Well, I just turned it back on and...........it's working! Like it's supposed to! OK!

edit: Just as an aside, the Active Channel is stuck in empty mode and has been for several days. So not everything is 100%.
Edited by Scott Pro - 3/20/13 at 11:43am
post #14189 of 14741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pro View Post

Well, I just turned it back on and...........it's working! Like it's supposed to! OK!.

It's a process ...
post #14190 of 14741
Has anyone else been having troubles trying to get a deal for HBO? Don't they usually have special offerers during the free trials?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › DirecTV HDTV