or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › DirecTV HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DirecTV HDTV - Page 8

post #211 of 14740
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibul View Post

There's two problems here.

#1.) The "stretchers" vastly outnumber the "non-stretchers", I would wager.

#2.) More importantly, the companies that sell these televisions and these high-definition services do an atrocious job at explaining these things to the average consumer. Most people with the black bars that hate them probably don't even realize they HAVE a stretch feature, or that their DirecTV box can be set to auto-stretch SD content, or so on. The consumers aren't at all educated on the subject.

Well, soon the viewers will have a wide range of tv programs they can readily chose from. Those who prefer a distorted looking picture will probably still have a few channels to chose from. And, those who prefer a really good looking picture, will have many channels to choose from. To each his own.
post #212 of 14740
Email campaign for elimination of stretching and overly annoying programming bugs here

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=101206
post #213 of 14740
I completely agree with you personally but separating our good business sense from our passion don't you think they're basing this on some sort of data rather than just assumptions?


Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

That's ridiculous. If you want to zoom or stretch, you're free to do so if they pass it normal.

If you watch square programming on a rectangle TV, it's going to be a square - the 42" TV will yield a bigger square than a 32" TV - that's why you buy a bigger TV for a bigger picture.
post #214 of 14740
Anyone else not getting all the 21 channels listed? I'm at about 12 of 21, the rest appear in SD
post #215 of 14740
Okay, I've already torn the bows and wrapping off all these new channels....but I didn't find USA, SciFi or FX under the tree, guess I wasn't a good boy this year.
post #216 of 14740
OK, all of you who are lucky enough to be home and able to watch the new offerings, help me out since I am traveling once again and will not be able to see this until Thursday.

I have had mpeg4 locals for a year now? Roughly? I admit that they look better than their mpeg2 counterparts on any given Sunday, HOWEVER, they are still susceptible to that dreaded macroblocking that is most evident on on 1080i sourced material broadcasting live sporting events. NBC and CBS football for example.

Is there anyone on here today that has had the H20, HR20 for a long time now (like me) who can compare the new offerings to what we have seen over the past year (give or take a month)?

For example - NBC sporting events are horrid, even in mpeg4 from my HD locals.
CBS football can explode with macroblocking during "live" events.
Most "720p" sourced material does not behave this way on my FOX and ABC mpeg4 affiliates.

So, the question for me will be whether or not the 1080i sourced mpeg4 offerings behave like my HD locals or no.........

TBS HD may be a good channel to compare with the Braves, eh?

Thanks
post #217 of 14740
Same here. We're a tough crowd aren't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Okay, I've already torn the bows and wrapping off all these new channels....but I didn't find USA, SciFi or FX under the tree, guess I wasn't a good boy this year.
post #218 of 14740
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Okay, I've already torn the bows and wrapping off all these new channels....but I didn't find USA, SciFi or FX under the tree, guess I wasn't a good boy this year.

These are set to launch in October [which starts next week ] according to the Directv website, so you still have time to be a "good boy"

Cheers,
John
post #219 of 14740
I've been with D* going on five years and have been so disappointed with HD Lite. But there's a truly soft spot in me hoping they'd do the right thing with MPEG4 and would equal even the best cable system in HD PQ.

Those who've seen those few 750 plus mH cable systems (that pass the signal as received) and compare a football game for example on ESPN-HD to a game seen on D* MPEG2, know absolutely there's a night and day difference in HD PQ.

Now I read on the Washington, DC thread from someone with no irons in the fire that the new D* ESPN's MPEG4 are the same as the ESPN's MPEG2 in HD PQ, in other words more HD Lite. Someone, anyone not known as a D* defender, please say it ain't so!
post #220 of 14740
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post

BTW... right NOW... TMC HD showing "Into the Blue". Jessica Alba. Bikini. Underwater. Very nice.


Yeah - looks very good (and 2.35:1 OAR) Oddly, not listed as HD in the D* guide.
post #221 of 14740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post

Now I read on the Washington, DC thread from someone with no irons in the fire that the new D* ESPN's MPEG4 are the same as the ESPN's MPEG2 in HD PQ, another words more HD Lite. Someone, anyone not known as a D* defender, please say it ain't so!

how are you seeing espn in mpeg 4?
post #222 of 14740
Quick question: are the channels in the 70s the new MPEG4 versions?
post #223 of 14740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post

I've been with D* going on five years and have been so disappointed with HD Lite. But there's a truly soft spot in me hoping they'd do the right thing with MPEG4 and would equal even the best cable system in HD PQ.

Those who've seen those few 750 plus mH cable systems (that pass the signal as received) and compare a football game for example on ESPN-HD to a game seen on D* MPEG2, know absolutely there's a night and day difference in HD PQ.

Now I read on the Washington, DC thread from someone with no irons in the fire that the new D* ESPN's MPEG4 are the same as the ESPN's MPEG2 in HD PQ, another words more HD Lite. Someone, anyone not known as a D* defender, please say it ain't so!

That person has good eyes as ESPN is still at MPEG 2 even on the new channel. What little I have watched before work I thought looked outstanding. I will watch more tonight and then make a judgement
post #224 of 14740
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj713 View Post

Quick question: are the channels in the 70s the new MPEG4 versions?

No and they will be going away at sometime down the road
post #225 of 14740
[quote=isyp;11733472]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp11 View Post

As I recall 720p and 1080i are the only HD standards that have been approved by the US government. I believe that 1080p would require an act of congress. That's not likely since they can't seem follow through with the commitment to cutover to all digital and do away with analog.

And I believe Congress has backed out the origial date from 2009 to 2011 to go full HD as the standard. That is...Congress' idea of HD.

So, I can't imagine when 1080p is even going to be disussed, yet planned as the new standard.
post #226 of 14740
Thread Starter 
Enough with the 1080p discussion.

(and there is no "full HD" date. There's no HD requirement at all in the Digital transition)
post #227 of 14740
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambroni View Post

For example - NBC sporting events are horrid, even in mpeg4 from my HD locals.
......
Thanks

I don't think mpeg4 or any future mpeg can help NBC when it comes to broadcasting HD. There is a good thread here on avsforum that was started about NBCs horrible golf coverage. There were some very good posts about the root of NBCs problems which are in transmission of programming. Until they fix this, everything they do will be horrible. The link is here...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=NBC+Golf

if you care to read up on their problem.

Cheers,
John
post #228 of 14740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post


Now I read on the Washington, DC thread from someone with no irons in the fire that the new D* ESPN's MPEG4 are the same as the ESPN's MPEG2 in HD PQ, in other words more HD Lite. Someone, anyone not known as a D* defender, please say it ain't so!


Well I would agree with that poster, because there is NO ESPN MPEG4 yet, it is MPEG2 so it is the same.
post #229 of 14740
Thread Starter 
73/206 ESPN HD is the identical MPEG2 stream.
post #230 of 14740
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan1112 View Post

[url]
This is the one that was recommended to me on another thread and is the same one that the D* repair guy gave me for free when he came out yetserday. I had scheduled the repair visit a few days ago before I knew about the splitter issue. He showed up, I told him what the issue was, he handed me the splitter and left.

I would almost guarantee that this is your issue if the house is more than a few months old.

Morgan,

Thank you for your help. I am sure you are correct. The switch that is being used is an:

Eagle Aspen 5x8 Multiswitch with Power Supply (S-4180-GX+)

"This unit will NOT pass the MPEG-4 signal for the 5 LNB dishes"

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=SP58DC22

It seems like I need another switch. Appreciate your input Morgan and bonscot87, CaspianM and John4924!!! This is a very dynamic thread! Guess I'll be on hold tonight with D* for a while!!

Charles
post #231 of 14740
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj713 View Post

Quick question: are the channels in the 70s the new MPEG4 versions?

Again, I think the ones that end in "H" are MPEG2, if they end in "HD" they are MPEG4.


Fred
post #232 of 14740
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan View Post

Is anyone else having problems?

I have the HR20 DVR. Around 6:00 am this morning all of my original HD package channels (Houston local channels, ESPN, HDNet, etc.) except ESPN2 suddenly stopped working. I see the new channels listed in the guide but I can't get them either. The test channels work fine, and I get the congrats message on ch. 498 as well.

Suggestions?

Anybody? Please?
post #233 of 14740
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambroni View Post

OK, all of you who are lucky enough to be home and able to watch the new offerings, help me out since I am traveling once again and will not be able to see this until Thursday.

I have had mpeg4 locals for a year now? Roughly? I admit that they look better than their mpeg2 counterparts on any given Sunday, HOWEVER, they are still susceptible to that dreaded macroblocking that is most evident on on 1080i sourced material broadcasting live sporting events. NBC and CBS football for example.

Is there anyone on here today that has had the H20, HR20 for a long time now (like me) who can compare the new offerings to what we have seen over the past year (give or take a month)?

For example - NBC sporting events are horrid, even in mpeg4 from my HD locals.
CBS football can explode with macroblocking during "live" events.
Most "720p" sourced material does not behave this way on my FOX and ABC mpeg4 affiliates.

So, the question for me will be whether or not the 1080i sourced mpeg4 offerings behave like my HD locals or no.........

TBS HD may be a good channel to compare with the Braves, eh?

Thanks

I have just about never gotten 'blockng' on the mpeg4 local channels. In fact, to my eyes, channels like (mpeg2) HD Theatre and HDNET appear clean and clear.
post #234 of 14740
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan View Post

Anybody? Please?

Have you reset your receiver yet?

If that doesn't work call D*.
post #235 of 14740
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcb View Post

Again, I think the ones that end in "H" are MPEG2, if they end in "HD" they are MPEG4.


Fred

Not sure about your hypothesis but here is a list from the first page of this thread:

MPEG2 Channels
ESPN HD (206/73)
ESPN2 HD (209/72)
(Discovery) HD Theater (76)
HDNet (79)
HDNet Movies (78)
TNT HD (245/75)
Universal HD (74)
CD USA (101)
HBO HD East (70/501/509)
Showtime HD (71/537/543)
post #236 of 14740
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcb View Post

Again, I think the ones that end in "H" are MPEG2, if they end in "HD" they are MPEG4.


Fred

Nope.

Only thing you need to know is that all channels that were MPEG2 - still are.
post #237 of 14740
I decided to switch over to D* this morning from C*. I didn't know they were rolling out new HD channels and wanted to bundle services with ATT for the discount.

I got the HDDVR... is there any specific hardware I should request from the installer. My only concern would be getting an outdated dish or HDDVR. I know they have two of them on for HD and one for local.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I let you know how the PQ compars to C*
post #238 of 14740
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

No and they will be going away at sometime down the road

Crap, so I have to reprogram my DVR...
post #239 of 14740
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj713 View Post

Crap, so I have to reprogram my DVR...

Eventually
post #240 of 14740
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambroni View Post

Of course he doesn't.

Ignorant comments like that are the reason I quit hanging around here a looooong time ago.

Of course I have proof. MY EYES. Now run along. You weren't missed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › DirecTV HDTV