1. Wait until they become available in Canada (who knows when this will happen).
2. Bite the bullet and buy an Elite (you may wish you had bought it after you fill the 20G drive).
3. Go cross border shopping and get a Premium from the U.S.
Get the Elite. My 20GB HD got filled up in no time. Also, if you're still using optical for sound, it will save you the hassle and expense of finding a dongle that will fit both HDMI and optical at the same time. The Elite comes with it.
The HDMI pros should be in stores shortly. Stores are slowly burning through existing stock right now.
I know HMV is sold out and waiting for new stock. Try them, they might be the first to get the new HDMI models. Maybe EBgames. BB and Futureshop will take some time they probably have a warehouse full of consoles to get through.
Halo 3 should help a bit with consumption speed of old stock...
Here's a trick to avoid that 2-4% exchange charge.
What you need:
- a credit card company that will allow you to change your address to a U.S. address
- someone you know who lives in the States that you can trust to not read your cerdit card statement in the rare case that they may receive it.
Call your credit card company and change your address to the U.S. mailing address. Make your order and ship it to that address. Everything will match up and they will not charge you anything for purchasing on a Canadian credit card. I do this with my AMEX.
Just bought 2x Sharp AQUOS 46D64U 1080p LCD's like this through the F&F deal.
Don't you know yet? Technology-wise, we always get last year's US model today : / Canada is where US retailers unload what won't sell in the US market. All those premiums without HDMI from the US are being shipped to Canada and other peripheral markets so they can fill the shelves in the US with the new model. Same thing happens with plasmas/LCDs and just about every other technology item.
Go for the Elite. What people are saying about the 20gig drive is true. It's not hard to fill it up with demos, game videos, and DLC (map packs can be quite large and you generally don't want to delete them once you've got them).