or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › $400 ps3 before Xmas? (Proof inside)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$400 ps3 before Xmas? (Proof inside)

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 
Well this is not new news but I havent seen anything posted here about it so I will post it.

Theres high probability that sony will introduce a new ps3 before christmas at $400.

The supposed ps3 will only have:

40GB HDD
2 USB ports
No Card Reader
*No PS2 GPU* (for BC compatibility with PS2 games) *this is speculation only*.

FCC Report :

http://i24.tinypic.com/k1dtly.jpg

As you can see the new model its listed as the "CECHG01" while the usual 80GB model its listed as "CECHA01".

Also you can notice that the supposed 40GB PS3 will have a broader signal in both Bluetooth and Wifi over the 80GB one.

A pic that shows the model:

\\

Also there are few rumored packs coming along with the new ps3.

Rumored Packs:

France
PS3 + Spiderman 3 BRD
PS3 + PES 08

Expected Price: 400€ (maybe 450 also)
Expected Offer Date: October 10th

Spain
400-449 Packs middle of october

US?
Nothing so far, but if they announce a 40GB PS3 I think they will annouce a US pack too, probably filled with movies.

Lets see what happens next monday (which is supposed to be the date of the official announcements by SCEE).

Reference:
GAF
post #2 of 42
If they focus on movie bundles BD is doomed. I really can't believe they would do that at this point.
post #3 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim GoodBooty View Post

If they focus on movie bundles BD is doomed. I really can't believe they would do that at this point.

I dont understand the logic in saying that if the ps3 focuses on a ps3 bluray player and bundles in a movie would signify the end for BD...
post #4 of 42
So, let me get this straight. You are positive that there's a good possibility that there might be a really good chance that there will be a PS3 selling for $400 before Christmas.
post #5 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Deplace View Post

So, let me get this straight. You are positive that there's a good possibility that there might be a really good chance that there will be a PS3 selling for $400 before Christmas.

Let me get you straight. Im positive that its mandatory for sony to drop the ps3 before Xmas.

Now thats my opinion, but what I wrote before were the facts (that should not be confused with the confirmation just yet).

Quote:


If they focus on movie bundles BD is doomed. I really can't believe they would do that at this point.

Im sorry but really, what are you saying?
post #6 of 42
http://bluraysavings.com/

Looks like the new bluray offer has the new PS3 model number as one of the qualifying players for the rebate. Looks like further confirmation that we'll see this, and probably somewhat soon.
post #7 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benkrishman View Post

http://bluraysavings.com/

Looks like the new bluray offer has the new PS3 model number as one of the qualifying players for the rebate. Looks like further confirmation that we'll see this, and probably somewhat soon.

Wow you are fast, awesome find, that pretty much confirms it already.
post #8 of 42
I've got to give RScottyL credit on the find, I would have never noticed it myself.
post #9 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim GoodBooty View Post

If they focus on movie bundles BD is doomed. I really can't believe they would do that at this point.

The movies are actually the reason I'm interested in one. As a 360 owner, I haven't really been impressed with their game library to this point. Maybe if a new Tekken comes out I'd feel different. But if they put out a $400 ps3 and pack spiderman 3 and still have the 5 free blu-ray offer going on, Sony is probably going to get my money. The whole trilogy would be better, but I'll take what I can get. I'd like to go format neutral so I don't have to worry about who has the exclusive on what. I think they should focus on the movies and how much cheaper a $400 ps3 would be than the 360 plus addon.

The 80gb version appeals to the hardcore gamer and comes with motorstorm. If we believe the rumors we've been hearing, then the 40 gb version is the new entry level system and its cheaper than any blu-ray player on the market so it would appeal to others than just gamers. There's still a bunch of ps2 owners who think the next gen systems cost too much. I have friends that only have a gaming system for the two or three sports games they like.
post #10 of 42
with games like ratchet & clank, assassins creed, ut3, cod4, uncharted, guitar hero, stranglehold, jericho, singstar, army of two, orange box, haze, kane & lynch, time crisis 4, blazing angles 2, rock band blacksite: area 51, and timeshift (plus more) all being released late october/november, i think that will be a perfect time to introduce the new sku, and thats obviously right before the holiday season.
post #11 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by exx View Post

The movies are actually the reason I'm interested in one. As a 360 owner, I haven't really been impressed with their game library to this point. .

well you said it yourself your more intereted in the movie aspect due to price of the PS3 vs the games its obvious here. For being a so called 360 gamer and not being impressed your the first and nothing is wrong with that as long as you buy 2 PS3s this christmas to help sales im all for it. I bought 3 myself to help with PS3 sales in lacking mainly for blu ray movies and one is mainly for gaming itself.
post #12 of 42
At $399 I'm picking this shyt up!
post #13 of 42
Anyone have any info indicating whether this will be another limited supply SKU like the 20GB PS3 or if they plan to make this in equal or greater volumes than the more expensive 80GB model?
post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Channel View Post

Anyone have any info indicating whether this will be another limited supply SKU like the 20GB PS3 or if they plan to make this in equal or greater volumes than the more expensive 80GB model?

gamestop still has new 20gb for sale if intereted...
post #15 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocktheglide View Post

gamestop still has new 20gb for sale if intereted...

I'm surprised there's still inventory out there. I think it makes more sense to wait for the new $399 40GB model. It's got WiFi and a bigger hard drive, though you are giving up on the EE chip in the 20GB model.
post #16 of 42
Is the $400 price just speculation? I mean, given the $599 price of the 80GB model, I'd be more apt to think that a price around $450 would be the price of the new model.

If it gets cheap enough, maybe I'll pick one up.
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

Is the $400 price just speculation? I mean, given the $599 price of the 80GB model, I'd be more apt to think that a price around $450 would be the price of the new model.

If it gets cheap enough, maybe I'll pick one up.

Just speculation, but it seems to be the number that various news stories are quoting. We'll see soon enough.
post #18 of 42
Completely and utterly ridiculous that they are introducing yet another SKU IMO, especially with yet another harddrive size. I'm scratching my head in amazement.

If theres software, gamers will come.
post #19 of 42
That would only be 2 skus in production.
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davio View Post

Completely and utterly ridiculous that they are introducing yet another SKU IMO, especially with yet another harddrive size. I'm scratching my head in amazement.

If theres software, gamers will come.


360 Core (still made)
360 Pro/Premium (still made)
360 Halo 3 (limited prolly?)
360 Elite (still made)

= 4 in production

PS3 20GB (discontinued)
PS3 40GB (new)
PS3 60GB (discontinued)
PS3 80GB (new)

= 2 in production...
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpatrickb View Post

That would only be 2 skus in production.

It would also be the fourth SKU in the NA market within the first 12 months, and a lot of price jockeying to go along. In contrast, the PS2 launched in NA in October 2000 and didn't receive a price cut until 18 months later. I'm not sure exactly how many versions the PS2 saw within the first 12 months, but I don't think it was 4.
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Channel View Post

It would also be the fourth SKU in the NA market within the first 12 months, and a lot of price jockeying to go along. In contrast, the PS2 launched in NA in October 2000 and didn't receive a price cut until 18 months later. I'm not sure exactly how many versions the PS2 saw within the first 12 months, but I don't think it was 4.

But the PS2 had the monstrous GTA3 exclusive in October 2001 to drive sales, and it wasn't facing much competition from the Dreamcast. And while it wasn't the cheapest thing ever at $299, it didn't induce the same level of sticker shock that the $599 PS3 has. Very different situations.

- Jer
post #23 of 42
Sorry, I'm confused. I re-read your post a couple times and I don't see the "proof" of the PS3 under $400? I see the FCC label for a new PS3, where is the price "proof" and the "before Christmas" proof, as opposed to more rumor?
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

Is the $400 price just speculation? I mean, given the $599 price of the 80GB model, I'd be more apt to think that a price around $450 would be the price of the new model.

If it gets cheap enough, maybe I'll pick one up.

There's also speculation the 80GB model may be dropped to $499 sometime before xmas so $399 for the 40GB would fit right.

Also on a total guess (wishful thinking maybe) I had, I've seen the 2 usb rumor and a no usb rumor. Maybe the no usb rumor is from someone who saw the fcc test model, but didn't realize the 2 usbs... are in the back. That would also help out the "media center" image Sony wants and get rid of ugly cables coming out the front of peoples entertainment centers.
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Channel View Post

It would also be the fourth SKU in the NA market within the first 12 months, and a lot of price jockeying to go along. In contrast, the PS2 launched in NA in October 2000 and didn't receive a price cut until 18 months later. I'm not sure exactly how many versions the PS2 saw within the first 12 months, but I don't think it was 4.

Times change. Sony is this the underdog this generation, and has to be nimble. A $399 PS3 with an enticing bundle is just what they need. (The only worrisome thing is it almost makes too much sence)
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrsteelers View Post

There's also speculation the 80GB model may be dropped to $499 sometime before xmas so $399 for the 40GB would fit right.

Also on a total guess (wishful thinking maybe) I had, I've seen the 2 usb rumor and a no usb rumor. Maybe the no usb rumor is from someone who saw the fcc test model, but didn't realize the 2 usbs... are in the back. That would also help out the "media center" image Sony wants and get rid of ugly cables coming out the front of peoples entertainment centers.

2 USB's in the rear doesn't sound logicial, because it would be too much of a pain to re-charge the sixasis with a rear-USB. (It would have been nice with the original PS3 to have 2 in the front and 2 in the rear though)

The no-USB rumour is just plain silly.
post #27 of 42
is AVS Ent Tonight now, "PROOF INSIDE" LOL

how about y'all make a RUMOR sticky so they wont clutter the boards.
post #28 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

Sorry, I'm confused. I re-read your post a couple times and I don't see the "proof" of the PS3 under $400? I see the FCC label for a new PS3, where is the price "proof" and the "before Christmas" proof, as opposed to more rumor?

Well im sorry if I didn't supply you with a cute walmart $400 ps3 for holiday. I never specified what was the proof about and I never say that the proof were involved in the price or the time, you skip my "?" mark it seems

Now having that clear, and my opinion (I know you don't care about my opinion).

In my mind.

Facts:

FCC paper saying confirming a new sku with less things on it. (*exist*)
>
Less features in most cases and in most markets means cheaper. (*proved*)
>
80GB PS3 Having awful sales (the 60GB, also). (*proved*)
>
Xmas being the most important season in the console market. (*proved*)
>
Xbox 360 owning everything with Halo 3. (*proved*)

After think about those facts my senses start reacting and my head start the think process.

FCC paper confirms a new sku. That new sku will have less features which means that a price reduction its highly probable. Now I ask myself, why it doesn't sell to well? (hint: sales increased over 100% when they dropped the 60GB to $500) ohh, then my common sense tell me that what they need its a cheaper one.

^^^that its just the facts and I didn't even explained them all because its pretty obvious.

Now you complement it with rumors (that make sense).

a 40GB ps3?

Hmm just removing the usb ports and card readers wouldn't be enough, maybe reducing the HDD space and *removing BC chip* <(got to be careful with that one), would save them some more money,but still they got to be losing money. They are not thinking in profit obviously observing the crucial situation of the HW sales. Also they can recuperate that money if they sell well.

The pricing:

It can't be a $400 ps3 only, that would be awful for the 80GB one. It makes more sense something like (40GB - 400), (60GB - $450) and (80GB - $500).

Dates rumors:

Suddenly there are rumors but not remote rumors, there rumors from France, Italy, Spain, etc, about a drop in the price and the dates. Trusted sources and among the retailers. The date is not specify but they say "sometime in october" for EU and all the sources agreed that its going to be an official *surprise* announce the in oct 12. anything announced before Dec 25 its before xmas.

and thats it.

Thats basically how the facts and rumors (the ones that makes sense) common sense and logic works in the human, are not we just great?

That been said, you would like to bet?
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1212 View Post

2 USB's in the rear doesn't sound logicial, because it would be too much of a pain to re-charge the sixasis with a rear-USB. (It would have been nice with the original PS3 to have 2 in the front and 2 in the rear though)

The no-USB rumour is just plain silly.

Obviously no usbs is silly. But if someone not knowledgeable saw aPS3 without usbs in front, they might say it has none.

The logic behind having them in the rear, is that if I'm using my Ps3 as an entertainment hub, in my fancy AV case, I might not want ugly cords sticking out the front. I have many other usbs around, all will work for charging my controller. I could also run a usb from the rear, to anywhere I choose. I run mine out the back and then to the top. (so I charge my controllers on top of my entertainment center) But the cords are still visible because the usbs are in front.

Like I said, mostly (mostly all) wishful thinking on my part. And 2 front, 2 rear would have been nice.
post #30 of 42
meijer was selling 60gb for $399
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › $400 ps3 before Xmas? (Proof inside)