or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Official AX-200 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official AX-200 Owners Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobley78 View Post

Most are white so they blend in with the ceiling.

The ceiling in my room is a very dark charcoal grey...
post #212 of 3108
Well, most theatre rooms have dark colors, and ESPECIALLY tend to have black ceilings to avoid reflections. A white projector stands out like a sore thumb!
post #213 of 3108
A very large 40 sq ft white screen is ok in a projector room, but a comparatively tiny white projector is objectionable and stands out like a sore thumb??
post #214 of 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

A very large 40 sq ft white screen is ok in a projector room, but a comparatively tiny white projector is objectionable and stands out like a sore thumb??

Yes. The difference is your are SUPPOSED to be looking at the screen, not the projector
post #215 of 3108
Anybody seen this baby in a store yet?
Preferrably close to Seattle/ Tacoma WA

tia
post #216 of 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiwill View Post

Here are the pics I promised in another thread. They are from HD broadcast "Dancing w/ the Stars"-- if you ever worry about WAF, you'll know why that's what I was able to get pics of last night!

PJ is shelf mounted, 3/4 up 8 foot wall, about 14 or so feet back from 106 inch WilsonArt DW screen. Bulb is in econo mode. Have not run DVE yet; will do so tonight.

Also, I have tried to see the dynamic iris at work. I've only got about 14 hours on it, but I think I might have seen it once. If that's all I think I see when I'm actually looking for it, I am very pleased with it indeed.

very NICE pictures not soft at all.
post #217 of 3108
Has anyone calibrated their AX200 yet? What are your settings and which calibration disk did you use?
post #218 of 3108
was the ax100 ever available in store?
post #219 of 3108
What do you guys use for cables?
I have the HDMI hooked up short...but I need some long audio cables. Can I run a long Toslink? And how long is too long...what other options?
post #220 of 3108
Another question about Lens Shifting:

Let's say I have my PJ mounted high against 8 foot ceiling, and the screen mounted high against the ceiling, and I use Lens Shifting to move the projected image by 12 inches to match my screen.

Also, let's say I want to do this without using keystone correction on the PJ.

So, do I have it right in that the steps are:
1) Project straight on to wall from PJ current ceiling mount location. I should see a perfectly rectangular image. It will be centered respective of the lens center. (right? no vert offset in neutral position?)
2) Now I use vert lens shift to bring the image down 12 inches to match my screen.
3) Will I need to use Keystone after shifting the image?

I guess the problem is I do not understand if the lens shifting is 'tilting' the lens or if it is 'panning' the lens. If it is tilting, then surely I'd need keystone correction. If it is panning, then I can't understand how it can possibly have such a dramatic shift in vert/horiz direction, when the shifting of the lens is only a few centimeters at most.
post #221 of 3108
Quote:


but I need some long audio cables. Can I run a long Toslink?

How long is it from your source to your receiver? I'd rather use one long HDMI to the PJ and leave all my audio and source equipment towards the front of the screen. Toslink at a long run tends to jump out of the inputs. If you are going to use a long run, I'd rather run coax. I have a 35' HDMI cable for the PJ and it works fine.
post #222 of 3108
With the lens shift you wouldn't or shouldn't need to use Keystone after the shift provided the projector was mounted level.
post #223 of 3108
This is crazy! But wow. OK, so the lens must be panning. How can the lens pan only 1 unch (for example), yet move the projected image by several times more (~12 inches)?

This lens shifting, if I understand it correctly, is no different than grabbing the whole projector and moving it to the right or left on a coffee table to center the image. If you are off by 2 inches, you move the PJ 2 inches...

Im confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post

With the lens shift you wouldn't or shouldn't need to use Keystone after the shift provided the projector was mounted level.
post #224 of 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

This is crazy! But wow. OK, so the lens must be panning. How can the lens pan only 1 unch (for example), yet move the projected image by several times more (~12 inches)?

This lens shifting, if I understand it correctly, is no different than grabbing the whole projector and moving it to the right or left on a coffee table to center the image. If you are off by 2 inches, you move the PJ 2 inches...

Im confused.



Here's a little bit of a read concerning lens shift vs Keystone

http://www.projectorreviews.com/advi...alkeystone.asp
post #225 of 3108
Thanks Mark. I read that, but still doesn't quite explain the inner workings of lens shiting.
post #226 of 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bo View Post

How long is it from your source to your receiver? I'd rather use one long HDMI to the PJ and leave all my audio and source equipment towards the front of the screen. Toslink at a long run tends to jump out of the inputs. If you are going to use a long run, I'd rather run coax. I have a 35' HDMI cable for the PJ and it works fine.

I'm considering following the PJ with the dvd player so I can keep the video connection short...but I either need to move the receiver or use a long audio cable...and I prefer at this point to try a long cable....
Also I wondering about the audio signal with either Toslink or Coax...long cable more degradation? Uses with 5.1?
post #227 of 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

Thanks Mark. I read that, but still doesn't quite explain the inner workings of lens shiting.

This is the part where somebody with a lot more knowledge than I on the subject jumps in and kindly explains the workings to both of us.
I did find this in a search and it may help a little.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...ion-217383.php
post #228 of 3108
I'd rather use a longer vid cable myself. monoprice is where I bought my 35' component cables for the dvd player I have, and 35' hdmi cable from them also. Works great.

If you want a long cable for audio, I'd use Coax.
post #229 of 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bo View Post

I'd rather use a longer vid cable myself. monoprice is where I bought my 35' component cables for the dvd player I have, and 35' hdmi cable from them also. Works great.

If you want a long cable for audio, I'd use Coax.

your prolly right
post #230 of 3108
I hooked up my 200 last night and watched Blue Planet, Payback, and some of the cool parts of Ghostrider. All these movies were Blueray fed through the PS3.

I did a user calibration with CCs disk they give out with a TV purchase. I adjusted the sharpness, color, tint, and brightness.

All I can say is WOW! I came from a Mitsu HC100U (480P pj), so this thing is absolutely amazing to me. Now I have demoed an RS1 in my home and have seen the Pearl in action. I have to agree with Projector Central's review; this is a poor man's (or woman's) 1080P pj.

I'll be posting up screen shots today and will answer questions in this thread as they are posted.

My theater is completely light controlled and I'm using a DIY 106" Roc-Lon fabric screen (1.0 gain).
post #231 of 3108
SIckPuppy:

See if you can figure out what happens when the lens shift is in neutral position. I need to know if the offset vertically is ZERO when the lens shift is centered. In other words, is the lens cenetered with the screen when you do not use any lens shift? It wouldn't be too obvious to answer unless you set up a test of sorts...
post #232 of 3108
I just checked mine and with the lens shift at zero the center of the screen is the center of the lens in the vertical plane. There is a stop in the adjustment so you know it's zeroed.
post #233 of 3108
Thanks Mark!!!

So now I need to figure out if I would be able to drop the image enough to align with my screen... I have all the info I need for that. Thanks again!
post #234 of 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Puppy View Post

I hooked up my 200 last night and watched Blue Planet, Payback, and some of the cool parts of Ghostrider. All these movies were Blueray fed through the PS3.

I did a user calibration with CCs disk they give out with a TV purchase. I adjusted the sharpness, color, tint, and brightness.

All I can say is WOW! I came from a Mitsu HC100U (480P pj), so this thing is absolutely amazing to me. Now I have demoed an RS1 in my home and have seen the Pearl in action. I have to agree with Projector Central's review; this is a poor man's (or woman's) 1080P pj.

I'll be posting up screen shots today and will answer questions in this thread as they are posted.

My theater is completely light controlled and I'm using a DIY 106" Roc-Lon fabric screen (1.0 gain).


Can you give us more info on the RS1 vs the AX-200, since you had the JVC in your house?

Its too bad you couldn't have done a side by side.

What are you going to use for your screen shots?

HDDVD, Blu-ray?
post #235 of 3108
is this pj now actually much brighter than the pt-ax100? is there evan an improvement over the ax100?

i guess it hasnt the ... iris anymore. but concerning pq, is it really better than the ax100?
post #236 of 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

Can you give us more info on the RS1 vs the AX-200, since you had the JVC in your house?

Its too bad you couldn't have done a side by side.

What are you going to use for your screen shots?

HDDVD, Blu-ray?

I second the motion.

I'm very curious to hear how the ax200 compares to the RS1. By their price, they shouldn't be in the same league, but reality may be quite different.
post #237 of 3108
I'll be using Blueray from the PS3. I haven't gotten to the pics yet (I just watched Hellboy on Blu-ray), I just can't stop watching movies ha ha! Look for them to be posted this evening....
post #238 of 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by susu2k View Post

is this pj now actually much brighter than the pt-ax100? is there evan an improvement over the ax100?

i guess it hasnt the ... iris anymore. but concerning pq, is it really better than the ax100?


I have never seen the 100 in action, so I can't answer that.
post #239 of 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post

I second the motion.

I'm very curious to hear how the ax200 compares to the RS1. By their price, they shouldn't be in the same league, but reality may be quite different.

It had been some time (about a month) since I had the RS1, so my memory is a little fuzzy.

I was originally considering the Black Pearl, but decided to get something a little more price conscious (I'm in the Air Force and heading to Korea for a year). I decided to take something a little more "disposable" in case it didn't survive the tour. i will be getting the Pearl upon my return.

with that, this comparison is of course, Apples to Oranges. I'm still in the process of setting up and calibrating the ax200, but was very surprised and pleased with it's performance thus far. It throws a very pleasing picture and what I would consider sharp. I'm still working on adjusting the picture for the best black levels, but would not consider this washed out by any means.

It has several different modes for viewing in three categories: Home theater, Living Room and Game. Within those modes there are more sub-categories to choose from. It has pre-set viewing modes for everyones taste. From ultra-vibrant (RS1 style) to very mild like the Sony.

The detail and sharpness that far surpasses it's price point. I was watching the mountain segment of Blue Planet last night and almost got vertigo from the camera "flying" over the peaks ans valleys. Watching this pj is very "immersive".
post #240 of 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by susu2k View Post

is this pj now actually much brighter than the pt-ax100? is there evan an improvement over the ax100?

i guess it hasnt the ... iris anymore. but concerning pq, is it really better than the ax100?


Yes it would have been nice if PC review would have said if the ax200 was an improvement over the ax100 as far as sharpness and pic quality.Hopefully someone with an ax100 will get one and compare.I wonder if PR will review the ax200.Still sounds like alot of projector for the money.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Official AX-200 Owners Thread