or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Olevia 65 inch 1080p lcd
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Olevia 65 inch 1080p lcd

post #1 of 1760
Thread Starter 
Just saw a 65 inch 1080p Olevia lcd at the Cypress Ca Costco It was connected to the same Coscto video source as the rest of their displays. Picture looked descent compared to the other lcd displays on hand. Glad to finally see some competition for Sharp.
post #2 of 1760
Actually Sharp supplies Olevia with the 65" glass from which that brand rebadges (with Realta HQV technology) its own TV model. Whether you buy Sharp or Olevia at 65" Sharp profits regardless. Ain't capitalism grand?

Can you be a little more detailed about how the PQ of this Olevia TV stacks up to other TV's at Cotsco? Does it anhialate the Vizio's? Do the smaller Sharps look just as good? Does the 65" PQ make it seem like this TV is worth almost six grand? Details please! Inquisitive owners of Olevia's previous top-tier panel, the 747i, want to know.
post #3 of 1760
The Cypress costco is where I saw it also. The black levels looked really good and the scaling looked to be decent. Hard to really compare as it was on the end of the isle. Overall it seemed to look very good, but who know since it is not calibrated and the only other TV's are 52".
post #4 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by danog14 View Post

The Cypress costco is where I saw it also. The black levels looked really good and the scaling looked to be decent. Hard to really compare as it was on the end of the isle. Overall it seemed to look very good, but who know since it is not calibrated and the only other TV's are 52".

Actually it would be factory calibrated since it is part of OLEVIA's high end HD-TV's ...

Well hopefully they fixed the problems that the 747i had.
post #5 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguilom View Post

Just saw a 65 inch 1080p Olevia lcd at the Cypress Ca Costco for $5999.00 It was connected to the same Coscto video source as the rest of their displays. Picture looked descent compared to the other lcd displays on hand. Glad to finally see some competition for Sharp.

Anybody buy one yet????????????????????
post #6 of 1760
A 60 inch or better.... that`s my next Spring buy. Hoping they release a 71 Series at 60. I`d take a 57 tho.
post #7 of 1760
The Gilbert Arizona Costco has 4 of them. It is displayed on the end of the aisle where everyone entering the store has to walk right by it. It is by far the most expensive HDTV in the store, and the quality is amazing. The Sony SXRD (LCoS) rear-projection comes closest in picture quality, IMO.


Syntax-Brillian Olevia 265TFHD 65-inch LCD

The Olevia 65-incher features a Silicon Optix Realta Hollywood Quality Video (HQV) processor to deliver studio-quality images, and the LCD also boasts 2,000:1 contrast, 6-ms video response time and upgradeable firmware via USB.
post #8 of 1760
Does anyone know if the new 265TFHD set is 120Hz refresh?
post #9 of 1760
This tv is using the true high end Realta scaler from Silicon Optix, even better than the Reon in the Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD players. Looking forward to some reviews, I might stop by Costco to check it out today.
post #10 of 1760
Since its using last generation's Sharp glass (the newest one's Sharp keeps to itself for its own LCD's) and it isn't mentioned in the publicity/website (it makes for a heck of a selling point) it's safe to assume this model doesn't have 120Hz. Hope somebody on this forum blows a few grand of his/her own $$$ to prove me wrong!
post #11 of 1760
I have to agree with you. I didn't realize that this is the previous generation panel, but it makes sense. I also checked the Nuvision website for 120Hz on their 65" panel and it is not listed as a feature. Too bad.
post #12 of 1760
I actually WON this TV and have it new in the box sitting in my apartment. I bought a super nice 46" Sony LCD a few months ago and am trying to decide whether or not to sell the Olevia 65" and the Sony and just get a really nice Pioneer 60" Plasma (with some cash to spare).

My apartment is very bright so I'm a bit concerned about the plasma performance in bright light.

Panel is definitely 60hz, not 120, and the response time is 6ms.

Anyone have any advice/strong opinions? Our Costco does not have them yet so I can't see it and I am hesitant to open it and decrease the street value...

Any help much appreciated!
post #13 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbaron View Post

I actually WON this TV and have it new in the box sitting in my apartment. I bought a super nice 46" Sony LCD a few months ago and am trying to decide whether or not to sell the Olevia 65" and the Sony and just get a really nice Pioneer 60" Plasma (with some cash to spare).

My apartment is very bright so I'm a bit concerned about the plasma performance in bright light.

Panel is definitely 60hz, not 120, and the response time is 6ms.

Anyone have any advice/strong opinions? Our Costco does not have them yet so I can't see it and I am hesitant to open it and decrease the street value...

Any help much appreciated!

Wow! lucky you!

I would just use the 65in, I am really intrigued by the Realta processor and that would tilt my decision to keeping it and selling the 46in sony.
post #14 of 1760
I have to admit it's pretty hard to look at this box without firing it up--I am also intrigued to give it a go, but I know if I open it the TV is not going anywhere!

2 of the 4 walls in the TV room are covered by windows, and while I don't watch a lot of TV at all during the day, I do watch football on the weekends so heavy light is an issue at that time.

I'm also a bit concerned about the 6ms response time on a 65" panel (w/o 120hz). It could be pretty blurry for sports like football, and sadly I don't have any way of really finding out until I peel it open.

I guess it comes down to whether I want to have $6k+ tied up in an Olevia set, when I could theoretically sell it and get a 60" Pioneer Kuro plasma. That's why I'm hemming and hawing.

Certainly not complaining--just seeking guidance from the forum sages...
post #15 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbaron View Post

I have to admit it's pretty hard to look at this box without firing it up--I am also intrigued to give it a go, but I know if I open it the TV is not going anywhere!

2 of the 4 walls in the TV room are covered by windows, and while I don't watch a lot of TV at all during the day, I do watch football on the weekends so heavy light is an issue at that time.

I'm also a bit concerned about the 6ms response time on a 65" panel (w/o 120hz). It could be pretty blurry for sports like football, and sadly I don't have any way of really finding out until I peel it open.

I guess it comes down to whether I want to have $6k+ tied up in an Olevia set, when I could theoretically sell it and get a 60" Pioneer Kuro plasma. That's why I'm hemming and hawing.

Certainly not complaining--just seeking guidance from the forum sages...

Glare is a problem if a window is behind you so you see it reflected off the screen. Check out Kuro re how much of a miror it is.

If you sell it, I'll assume you will not get $6k. (Will the buyer get a warrenty with it? Can they return it within 30 days?)

The issue with this TV is motion. We need someone to take a laptop or DVD player (SDorHD) to Costco and test this beast.
post #16 of 1760
Has anyone actually bought a 65 or 52 Olevia or is there an official owners thread ?
post #17 of 1760
Hi Folks - quick update, I caved and hooked it up yesterday. So far very happy with it, the picture quality is pretty darn comparable to my Sony KDL-46XBR2. As this 265 has the same chip as the 747i I was trying to dig up some recommended settings. Trouble is that forum has about 48 pages worth of posts. Has anyone seen a quick link to recommended picture settings on the 747i?

Thanks for any help, I will get back with some more detailed thoughts!
post #18 of 1760
This tv comes already callibrated out of the box. You have to set the menu to 6500k. Then just do minor tweaks to brightness and contrast to maximize settings for your room lighting.
BTW, how thin is this tv? Previous Olevia's have been a little thick. Also, how much does it weigh?
Can you post any pictures?
post #19 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbaron View Post

Hi Folks - quick update, I caved and hooked it up yesterday. So far very happy with it, the picture quality is pretty darn comparable to my Sony KDL-46XBR2. As this 265 has the same chip as the 747i I was trying to dig up some recommended settings. Trouble is that forum has about 48 pages worth of posts. Has anyone seen a quick link to recommended picture settings on the 747i?

Thanks for any help, I will get back with some more detailed thoughts!

Anxious to hear your thoughts as well... did you watch any football? Any artifacting/ motion blur?

THANKS.. Ken
post #20 of 1760
Pictures sfbaron, we want PICTURES of this beast in action!
post #21 of 1760
Well I just shelled out nearly 7 big ones for the Elite Pro 150, and I have it right next to the 747i, so far the most concerning aspect of the Elite is it's inability to pop a bright white in a bright scene. Next to the 747i (which is by far not the brightest LCD out there) it looks almost light grey. So I am very curious to see how well this 265 performs. The original Sharp 65" at nearly $10k at Bestbuy sucks big time with artifacts and blocking. So please report back ASAP.



post #22 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic View Post

Well I just shelled out nearly 7 big ones for the Elite Pro 150, and I have it right next to the 747i, so far the most concerning aspect of the Elite is it's inability to pop a bright white in a bright scene. Next to the 747i (which is by far not the brightest LCD out there) it looks almost light grey. So I am very curious to see how well this 265 performs. The original Sharp 65" at nearly $10k at Bestbuy sucks big time with artifacts and blocking. So please report back ASAP.




Wow...the Elite Pro is a top-tier plasma set, and the whites look awful compared to the 747i. After seeing your pics, I'm so glad I went LCD instead of plasma.
post #23 of 1760
Friends-

I will take some pictures this evening and post them along with some general thoughts. I can tell you that the picture is fantastic in the sweet spot, though the viewing angle on my Sony 46" XBR2 was a bit better.

300 in Blue Ray on my PS3 looked unbelievable. Literally astonishing

Football was very good, basketball (as on my Sony) slightly more challenging for the set but still excellent. There's just so much going on I find with the shiny court. I've never owned a plasma to compare.

The set weights 240 pounds. That's right---it takes a few people to move it.

Ask any specific questions/picture requests.

One more other thing, the TV is actually lacking some of the settings it talks about in the manual. I.e. there are no sub-menus for choosing the PIP source or for moving it around. Maybe a firmware update will fix this. For now, I simply cannot find them. Don't like the menu system in general especially the fact that I cannot TURN OFF certain inputs (ala the Sony) which makes it a hassle to cycle through....
post #24 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbaron View Post

Friends-

I will take some pictures this evening and post them along with some general thoughts. I can tell you that the picture is fantastic in the sweet spot, though the viewing angle on my Sony 46" XBR2 was a bit better.

300 in Blue Ray on my PS3 looked unbelievable. Literally astonishing

Football was very good, basketball (as on my Sony) slightly more challenging for the set but still excellent. There's just so much going on I find with the shiny court. I've never owned a plasma to compare.

The set weights 240 pounds. That's right---it takes a few people to move it.

Ask any specific questions/picture requests.

One more other thing, the TV is actually lacking some of the settings it talks about in the manual. I.e. there are no sub-menus for choosing the PIP source or for moving it around. Maybe a firmware update will fix this. For now, I simply cannot find them. Don't like the menu system in general especially the fact that I cannot TURN OFF certain inputs (ala the Sony) which makes it a hassle to cycle through....

Sweet, so compared to the over priced Sharp 65" it blows it away....?
post #25 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic View Post

Sweet, so compared to the over priced Sharp 65" it blows it away....?

Which overpriced sharps are you talking about? you can get the 65D64U sets for < 6k on the net.

-T
post #26 of 1760
BB is a lot more...
post #27 of 1760
Techaholic...Nice pics...I like the Pioneer. It looks more natural to me. The 747i is brighter and eye popping, but how is the video processing. It does appear sharper as well, but the plasma's glass gives it the more subtle and home theater like look. Just an observation.

Chris
post #28 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbaron View Post

I will take some pictures this evening and post them along with some general thoughts. I can tell you that the picture is fantastic in the sweet spot, though the viewing angle on my Sony 46" XBR2 was a bit better.

Please do, we (all six AV nerds reading this) will be ohh so grateful!

Quote:


The set weights 240 pounds. That's right---it takes a few people to move it.

Sweet Jesus, and I thought my 747i (your 65" HDTV's predecessor) was heavy at 135 pounds!

Does the front of the TV have a heavy glass protecting the screen? That's what accounted for the bulk of the extra weight (compared to similar-sized HDTV's) on my 747i. Also, how do the built-in speakers sound compared to the built-in speakers of the Sony XBR? I know it can't compare to a proper surround sound set-up but but the 747i had pretty rockin' built-in speakers (50W output). I'd be curious to see how the new 65" Olevia stacks-up audiowise.

Quote:


One more other thing, the TV is actually lacking some of the settings it talks about in the manual. I.e. there are no sub-menus for choosing the PIP source or for moving it around. Maybe a firmware update will fix this. For now, I simply cannot find them. Don't like the menu system in general especially the fact that I cannot TURN OFF certain inputs (ala the Sony) which makes it a hassle to cycle through...

Wow, that's odd. Are you sure you're just thrown off by Olevia's unintuitive wheel interface? Because the PIP options for moving around/input are in the sub-menu after you press 'Screen.'
post #29 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail View Post

Techaholic...Nice pics...I like the Pioneer. It looks more natural to me. The 747i is brighter and eye popping, but how is the video processing. It does appear sharper as well, but the plasma's glass gives it the more subtle and home theater like look. Just an observation.

Chris

The 747 is unbelievably good, when watching stuff like the Simpsons, every color on the 747 is solid, while the Elite shows artifacts and pixelation, there's no getting away from the Realta chip in that set, it does a wiz bang job with the SD and lesser signals fed into it. Also when the Elite and 747 are playing HD they are almost identical in colour and detail, but the Elite can get much blacker than the 747, while the 747 can pop sunshine bright whites, so much so that my kids notice the difference a lot. I get comments like " the big tv's grey...." Ahhhh! over all the Elite has a great pedigree like a mercedes, but the 747 is definitely a quality product also. Glass front, great speakers, HQV Realta chip. I'm amazed at the quality of the 747 picture, it really is a great LCD for around 2k. It's SD rendering is probably second to none, and its HD is also very impressive. Basically the achilles heel of the Elite is it's whites, although when calibrated, are more than adequate to create an exceptional viewing experience, and the 747 is weak in the black scenes but overall produces a great picture HD & SD (I believe the 747 is a classic). Kinda like a Lancer 2000 turbo.... great bang for the buck.
post #30 of 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic View Post

The 747 is unbelievably good, when watching stuff like the Simpsons, every color on the 747 is solid, while the Elite shows artifacts and pixelation, there's no getting away from the Realta chip in that set, it does a wiz bang job with the SD and lesser signals fed into it. Also when the Elite and 747 are playing HD they are almost identical in colour and detail, but the Elite can get much blacker than the 747, while the 747 can pop sunshine bright whites, so much so that my kids notice the difference a lot. I get comments like " the big tv's grey...." Ahhhh! over all the Elite has a great pedigree like a mercedes, but the 747 is definitely a quality product also. Glass front, great speakers, HQV Realta chip. I'm amazed at the quality of the 747 picture, it really is a great LCD for around 2k. It's SD rendering is probably second to none, and its HD is also very impressive. Basically the achilles heel of the Elite is it's whites, although when calibrated, are more than adequate to create an exceptional viewing experience, and the 747 is weak in the black scenes but overall produces a great picture HD & SD (I believe the 747 is a classic). Kinda like a Lancer 2000 turbo.... great bang for the buck.

Is there a difference between the 2 on fast motion handling ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Olevia 65 inch 1080p lcd