or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Pioneer Kuro Pictures Thread.......
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Pioneer Kuro Pictures Thread....... - Page 203

post #6061 of 7288
It didn't give me a "wow" moment like when i first saw a kuro, no. None of the new TV's did. I don't think that will ever happen again until OLED is in stores. Until then it's pointless buying a new TV just because.

60" at 7.5 - 8' + reference PQ should make that wait very easy.
Edited by saprano - 7/5/13 at 7:32pm
post #6062 of 7288
The f850 beats the kuro in brightness - most definitely. It beats every plasma in that regard. But i don't agree with it beating it in clarity or sharpness. A reference bluray disk on a calibrated kuro is razor sharp with every bit of detail and shadow details visible - not to mention window clear.

But with regard to contrast. I couldn't imagine me ever needing more than about 45ftl in a bright sunny room. And with it going comfortably up to about at least 54/56ftl (calibrated) it's a non issue for me personally.

I doubt i will ever need more than about 40ftl tbh if i ever get ISF day mode done.

As far as plasma is concerned - the Kuro is very bright indeed.
post #6063 of 7288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post

The f850 beats the kuro in brightness - most definitely. It beats every plasma in that regard. But i don't agree with it beating it in clarity or sharpness. A reference bluray disk on a calibrated kuro is razor sharp with every bit of detail and shadow details visible - not to mention window clear.

But with regard to contrast. I couldn't imagine me ever needing more than about 45ftl in a bright sunny room. And with it going comfortably up to about at least 54/56ftl (calibrated) it's a non issue for me personally.

I doubt i will ever need more than about 40ftl tbh if i ever get ISF day mode done.

As far as plasma is concerned - the Kuro is very bright indeed.

My ST60 was calibrated to 37FL and even on a sunny day thats enough for me. Sure blacks look a little washed out but even with an LCD TV, trying to do any critical viewing in a bright room is just not enjoyable. Most anyone who takes viewing serious enough knows this, and those who don't care could care less anyways LOL

The F8500's only real marketing gimmick against other plasmas is the brightness of the 8500.. Don't get me wrong I LOVED my Sammy plasma.. but I've seen a Kuro and its amazing, hell my ST60 is amazing to me as well..
post #6064 of 7288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

My ST60 was calibrated to 37FL and even on a sunny day thats enough for me. Sure blacks look a little washed out but even with an LCD TV, trying to do any critical viewing in a bright room is just not enjoyable. Most anyone who takes viewing serious enough knows this, and those who don't care could care less anyways LOL

The F8500's only real marketing gimmick against other plasmas is the brightness of the 8500.. Don't get me wrong I LOVED my Sammy plasma.. but I've seen a Kuro and its amazing, hell my ST60 is amazing to me as well..

True. As long as the sun shine wasn't direct. Once your eyes get used to it, 35 or a bit less ftl looks bright enough in a room with plenty of light. Can just get away with about 32ftl tbh imo.

The st60 looks a great screen - obvious thanks to Urga's cracking good pics on another thread smile.gif
post #6065 of 7288
Well opened her up smile.gif

And she truly is a showroom condition. A September 2008 module with a November 2008 build date. Purchased on the 29th April 2009, all papers just asvthey should be. So my warranty runs until then next year smile.gif Remote control never used. It's perfectly uniform and no stuck pixels. One extremely lucky, happy and grateful KRP500M owner here.
















Can't wait to play some material when i can smile.gif
post #6066 of 7288
Congrats the Kuro is a beautiful thing . I love mine !! Best display ive ever owned !
post #6067 of 7288
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

Congrats the Kuro is a beautiful thing . I love mine !! Best display ive ever owned !

2nd that! Congrats on what looks like a super mint 500m. I'm rocking a 101fd and the only thing I can complain about is wanting a bigger screen at times. These truly are remarkable panels!!!! Where did get your 500m from? Do post some pics and impressions once you get her up and running!smile.gif
post #6068 of 7288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post

2nd that! Congrats on what looks like a super mint 500m. I'm rocking a 101fd and the only thing I can complain about is wanting a bigger screen at times. These truly are remarkable panels!!!! Where did get your 500m from? Do post some pics and impressions once you get her up and running!smile.gif

Thank you guys smile.gif

Yes it is in scarily new condition. So much so when i opened it the condition reminded me exactly of the brand new 500A i opened four years ago now. The seller was exact to his word from day one.

I just plugged it in earlier to make sure it came on before boxing it up for the night until tomorrow, it did, perfectly uniform and very clean and sharp. 00:37 hrs here in the UK just now.

I bought it in a private sale from a bloke here in the UK on the AV forums called Brian "aka...baldybonce". Lovely bloke in all truth. When he posted on a thread months ago he mentioned he had a 500M that has only been used for five hours max, or words to that effect. And was looking to sell because he had it in an unused cinema room and wanted something a bit bigger like a 600. The size is perfect for me like the beloved 500A before it, because it's only 5ft from the bottom of my bed to the screen, i game a lot from that distance. So looks big tbh from there for me. And only 11ft at the furthest distance. Anyway... When i read his post i thought i would try my luck and send a PM to him offering to buy if he wanted to sell it - offered him an extremely decent offer, then a bit more. And voila, it was mine.

But i say he was a nice bloke, because i ran into a few financial troubles, and he let me pay it up instead of the original agreement of all in one go. Top bloke and a gentleman. Going to run slides next week. It's been too long without a Kuro.

Happy days wink.gif
Edited by Stu03 - 7/5/13 at 4:55pm
post #6069 of 7288
"only" 11 feet. That is quite a distance for a 50-incher, but 5 feet should suffice for the most fantastic picture you can get.
post #6070 of 7288
Yep 11 feet lying back in my bed., or a quick change around of the bed position and only about seven or eight feet maximum - perfect, my bedroom is quite small tongue.gif
Edited by Stu03 - 7/6/13 at 1:42am
post #6071 of 7288
My ST60 with ambient light of day :



The settings are done yet for the night ...
His day is acceptable with enough light ... wink.gif
post #6072 of 7288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post

Yep 11 feet lying back in my bed., or a quick change around of the bed position and only about seven or eight feet maximum - perfect, my bedroom is quite small tongue.gif
I sit about 10 feet from minds ....smile.gif to me its fine
post #6073 of 7288
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneertop View Post

I sit about 10 feet from minds ....smile.gif to me its fine

Whose mind?
post #6074 of 7288
Optimal viewing distance for 1080P with a 50 inch is about 6.5 feet. 10 feet is probably too far back for a 60 inch it would be a little further back though keep that in mind smile.gif
post #6075 of 7288
Congrats Stu03, you are one lucky bugger !!! smile.gif I have a Pro-101 and I love it !!!!
post #6076 of 7288
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungro View Post

Optimal viewing distance for 1080P with a 50 inch is about 6.5 feet. 10 feet is probably too far back for a 60 inch it would be a little further back though keep that in mind smile.gif

Very few follow those distance recommendations.
post #6077 of 7288
50" with "normal" vision for 1080p is anything from 4ft to no more than 7ft in an ideal world. The closer the better. I prefer my field of view to be filled so no more than roughly five and a half feet for me personally.
post #6078 of 7288
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip61 View Post

Congrats Stu03, you are one lucky bugger !!! smile.gif I have a Pro-101 and I love it !!!!


Cheers skip smile.gif

I feel lucky, very much so. But i felt more lucky when i opened the box and peeled back the bubble and cling film that it wasn't cracked. 491 miles to be precise, from away down past London, basically right by the sea as far down as the map goes. Not quite Lands end but nearly - all the way back up to Scotland. Two days in a van basically. Nervous time basically eek.gif

But it was superbly packed up and protected i will admit the guy did a great job packing it. Had to be, because there can't be many around a couple of hours old in new ootb condition
post #6079 of 7288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post

Cheers skip smile.gif

I feel lucky, very much so. But i felt more lucky when i opened the box and peeled back the bubble and cling film that it wasn't cracked. 491 miles to be precise, from away down past London, basically right by the sea as far down as the map goes. Not quite Lands end but nearly - all the way back up to Scotland. Two days in a van basically. Nervous time basically eek.gif

But it was superbly packed up and protected i will admit the guy did a great job packing it. Had to be, because there can't be many around a couple of hours old in new ootb condition

You are right. The person who packed it up knows how to deal with " Precious " items !!! smile.gif
post #6080 of 7288
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungro View Post

Optimal viewing distance for 1080P with a 50 inch is about 6.5 feet. 10 feet is probably too far back for a 60 inch it would be a little further back though keep that in mind smile.gif

10' is fine for a 60". Thought i sit 8' from a 60", at times i just want to relax and watch TV and i end up sitting 10' to 11' feet back. It's still a good distance to be immersed in programming. My viewing room is only about 1540cuft though.
Edited by saprano - 7/7/13 at 6:55am
post #6081 of 7288
I really adore this thread...

It's nice it is not just strictly just "only" a Kuro pictures thread. But a general Kuro chit chat thread, nice and relaxed. smile.gif

My mate has a 60" 9G, and you can stand or sit 6-8ft from that quite comfortably. Pioneer screens are immense in the quality of actual panel department. (Nothing) comes 'close' wink.gif
post #6082 of 7288
In 2013, I think we can finally say, some things come close. Otherwise letting go of my precious 111FD last Sunday would not have been so easy. wink.gif
post #6083 of 7288
And i remember years ago in an authorized Pioneer dealer store. Watching Spiderman blu-ray at a demo on a 60" 9G. The salesman guy said come in and stand closer. In his words "you can do that with Pioneer plasmas". And we did. Moved onto about 3 and a bit feet. He was very right and i didn't feel the need to stand farther back. Although he had the film mode wrong imo. It was still hugely cinematic. Incredible from such a close distance on a 60" screen. I remember it well.
post #6084 of 7288
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

In 2013, I think we can finally say, some things come close. Otherwise letting go of my precious 111FD last Sunday would not have been so easy. wink.gif

Vinnie, I am fortunate that my panel was replaced last year under warranty and they gave me another great panel for years to come. Right now with my Pro-101 I see no need to replace it at all.
post #6085 of 7288
Skip was that th brand new replacement because of the dent on the back plate mate ?

Or am i thinking of someone else ?
post #6086 of 7288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post

Skip was that th brand new replacement because of the dent on the back plate mate ?

Or am i thinking of someone else ?

No it was something else.
post #6087 of 7288
I was thinking of a guy somewhere on avs who sent his 101 in to Pioneer to fix his red tint. Apparently when it came back it came back with a voltage adjusted - but the red tint remained... But they had put a dent on the back plate in transit back to his place. And Pioneer had no choice but to issue him with a (brand spanking new) 101. From their factory warranty replacement stock in the US.

How come you managed to get a replacement 101? smile.gif
post #6088 of 7288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post

And i remember years ago in an authorized Pioneer dealer store. Watching Spiderman blu-ray at a demo on a 60" 9G. The salesman guy said come in and stand closer. In his words "you can do that with Pioneer plasmas". And we did. Moved onto about 3 and a bit feet. He was very right and i didn't feel the need to stand farther back. Although he had the film mode wrong imo. It was still hugely cinematic. Incredible from such a close distance on a 60" screen. I remember it well.

Yes, yes, i've noticed this too. Standing in front of my 151 when adjusting settings the picture still holds up amazingly well. It's beautiful to look at. I would think it would get worse the closer you get but nope. Who says you need 4K to sit close? smile.gif
post #6089 of 7288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post

I was thinking of a guy somewhere on avs who sent his 101 in to Pioneer to fix his red tint. Apparently when it came back it came back with a voltage adjusted - but the red tint remained... But they had put a dent on the back plate in transit back to his place. And Pioneer had no choice but to issue him with a (brand spanking new) 101. From their factory warranty replacement stock in the US.

How come you managed to get a replacement 101? smile.gif

Mine, had a blueish tint very visible when displaying motion like hockey. You could clearly see the blob of blue showing up when they the camera was following the players on the ice. It was only in the middle of the screen. The Pioneer tech took it back at the shop to see if it would repairable but it was not smile.gif. So they gave me a brand new panel !!
post #6090 of 7288
Nice one skip smile.gif

Well checked today if all the inputs are ok and they all seem to be good. Having a flick through all the brilliant menus the first thing that struck me is how pin sharp the menu's text is. Also i sat with my jaw on the floor (well not quite but nearly wink.gif at how clean the white and grey is. Also the other colors as so 'calm' looking, is the only way i can describe it at the moment. Pure is different from what i remember on the 500A ootb. But all the modes just look 'different', it's difficult to explain. Even the dreaded "Dynamic" appears different. 'Sport' mode isn't nearly as offensive as i thought it would be. I checked the hours with my factory remote and there was just under (20 more than what was originally thought, but it's irrelevant at the end of the day because 20odd is minute to the extreme) . The service menu is the complete opposite of my last kuro. I have no intention of touching anything in there - i have absolutely no reason to whatsoever - except for the hours. Just to keep an eye until i'm approximately past 800hrs then i will get it ISF'D.

But i am going to have lots of fun with homemade calibrating with Pure, and the others in the meantime once past 200 or so hours. The word i am looking for ( i think) with this 500M, is it is extremely "digital" looking. I am surprised and very delighted. It is obviously set up and driven differently. The actual pane itself also is extremely quiet in a decibel sense of the word, even displaying white.

I am surprised just how (different) it is compared to the 500A - after having spent nearly four very happy video years with that stunner.

Starting slides tomorrow properly...




Edited by Stu03 - 7/7/13 at 12:06pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Pioneer Kuro Pictures Thread.......