or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › I need help connecting two subwoofers to one subwoofer output
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need help connecting two subwoofers to one subwoofer output

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I own a Klipsch RSW-12 Subwoofer and a Def Tech Powerfield 15 Plus. When I connect the second subwoofer(Def Tech Powerfield 15 Plus) to the
line out(Klipsch RSW-12) it seems like both subs put out less
bass. Why is that? Is there a way to fix this? I even tried a y-cable from the subwoofer output on the receiver. The same thing happens. I think the preamp level/voltage from the receiver isn't strong enough for both subs.
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

I think the preamp level/voltage from the receiver isn't strong enough for both subs.

That is what it sounds like. It is being attentuated to much when split.

Do you have good quality cables? Sometimes a cheap Y can make a difference. We are talking very low voltage...

Can you just turn them up accordingly?
post #3 of 8
Did you calibrate each sub individually and you need to use a good quality "Y" cable.

Bill
post #4 of 8
Even if your receiver has no output level adjustment for the subwoofer, (if that's true put a new receiver on your Holiday shopping list ), there should be adequate output voltage to drive two subs -- if connected in parallel (as you are doing with the Y connector) each sub input will still see the full output voltage, perhaps less a small amount because of the lower total input impedance of the two subs in parallel.

A more likely scenario is that you have acoustic cancellation between the two subs. If either one of the two subs has a continuously varable phase control, try twirling it while bass is playing -- if just 0 or 180 degree switches, try both positions.

Your strongest bass, and your best blending of non-identical subs, and your easiest way to minimize acoustic cancellation, is to co-locate the two subs -- stack them or run them side by side.
post #5 of 8
Just split the sub output on the AVR and run seperate lines to each sub...DO NOT connect one sub to the other one...
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

That is what it sounds like. It is being attentuated to much when split.

Do you have good quality cables? Sometimes a cheap Y can make a difference. We are talking very low voltage...

Can you just turn them up accordingly?

All cables are Monster. Turning up the volume doesn't help either.
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Did you calibrate each sub individually and you need to use a good quality "Y" cable.

Bill

Yes
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Just split the sub output on the AVR and run seperate lines to each sub...DO NOT connect one sub to the other one...

Tried both ways. I think the voltage is too low for both subs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › I need help connecting two subwoofers to one subwoofer output