or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Triad Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Triad Owner's Thread - Page 170

post #5071 of 6133
Anyone have any experience or suggestions on a good bedroom setup to go with a 50" Plasma? I was thinking maybe two Mini LCRs and skip the center or possible LCR 3.0 bar or similar.

Not for movie watching, but mostly TV and sports
post #5072 of 6133
So.................

I can officially say I'm a proud owner of Triad speakers.............wink.gif

Yep............6 shiny new Silver LCR for surround!

Courtesy of RMK demo, I'm hopeful to own two Orbital Shifters too!!!!! Yeah, the new Gold Standard for clean, unadulterated subwoofer pleasure! smile.gif

Now to figure out LCR speakers..............
post #5073 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Anyone have any experience or suggestions on a good bedroom setup to go with a 50" Plasma? I was thinking maybe two Mini LCRs and skip the center or possible LCR 3.0 bar or similar.

Not for movie watching, but mostly TV and sports

Depends if you want to place the speakers to the side of the tv. Or even if you have the room to do so. If it was for my bedroom, I would do side mounted Mini LCRs that match the height of the tv. It would look really nice and have as much separation as possible. Or if you want to place it under your tv, I would also go with the Mini LCR 2.0 and get it cut to match the width of the tv.
post #5074 of 6133
Toys in the Garage.

The speakers are well packaged. (can't see them all in this pic)

Triad In wall Gold LCRs x3
Triad Silver Surrounds x4
Triad CinemaPlus Silver Sub x4


post #5075 of 6133
When done, will you be providing demos? smile.gif
post #5076 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

When done, will you be providing demos? smile.gif

Absolutely smile.gif few more weeks to go.

I'd love to check out your Dbox set up too.
post #5077 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzfbossman View Post

Toys in the Garage.

The speakers are well packaged. (can't see them all in this pic)

Triad In wall Gold LCRs x3
Triad Silver Surrounds x4
Triad CinemaPlus Silver Sub x4



EXCELLENT system, and moving to four subs was a good move. You'll smooth out room modes, and you'll need less excursion for the same level as two subs. Bass will be super clean.
post #5078 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzfbossman View Post

Absolutely smile.gif few more weeks to go.

I'd love to check out your Dbox set up too.

Sounds like a plan. smile.gif
post #5079 of 6133
Question of the day...............................

Can three Gold LCR's powered by a Krell Evo 403 keep up with two Orbital Shifters? Or do I sit back and enjoy the fireworks......................like Paul has stated in the past, "Owning an Evo is like owning a suedo microwave/toaster!" tongue.gif
post #5080 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Question of the day...............................

Can three Gold LCR's powered by a Krell Evo 403 keep up with two Orbital Shifters? Or do I sit back and enjoy the fireworks......................like Paul has stated in the past, "Owning an Evo is like owning a suedo microwave/toaster!" tongue.gif
Do you already own the Krell? If not, re-allocate the money towards speakers. It makes no sense to spend so much, ($25K), on an amp instead of on the speakers. There are a number of amps that are equally powerful to that Krell... for a LOT less money. Save the money on the amp and spend it to upgrade to Platinums or the upcoming Cinema Reference Line. Much better use of funds, IMO.

To answer your question about Gold LCR's "keeping up" with dual OS's, it will be all about your expectations. The OS's will produce prodigious output, well above Reference Level by 25+ dB. 139 dB from a single OS is just ridiculous output that few can or should utilize. Duals will add 3 to 6 dB to that. If you want that kind of output, then NO, the Gold LCR's will NOT "keep up." Even the Plat's won't keep up with that.

OTOH, if all you want is RL with 3 to 6 dB of headroom, then, yeah, the Gold LCR's will keep up, depending on the size of the room and the listening distance. You won't be using anywhere close to the full capability of the OS's, but hey, overkill is everything. biggrin.gif

IMO, YMMV, My $0.02, etc.

Craig
post #5081 of 6133
Thanks Craig John,

I already own the 403, along with a seven channel s-1500.

If I could get the amount you mentioned, I'd sell it in a heart beat. I paid no where near that!

I'm old.......really old and have no desire to listen to anything above reference.......at least my wife told me that after listening to RMK's set up which is impressive I might add. I thought owning 2 Orbital Shifters would save me money on buttkickera!biggrin.gif

BTW, typing from an iPhone sucks!I
post #5082 of 6133
Craig John, once again, offers spot-on advice.
post #5083 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Craig John, once again, offers spot-on advice.
smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Thanks Craig John,

I already own the 403, along with a seven channel s-1500.

If I could get the amount you mentioned, I'd sell it in a heart beat. I paid no where near that!
OK, $25K seems to be the MSRP for that amp. If you already own it, then you need to decide if the money invested is a good investment. I don't know what that amp is worth on the used market, but if you could get more than $5K for it, you might consider the Earthquake Cinenova Grande, http://www.amazon.com/Earthquake-Cinenova-Grande-Power-Amp/dp/B0081K4A0C, which will do 600+ watts into 4 Ohms. Then you could sell both Krell amps and then put the remainder into the speakers. Speakers will always provide the biggest improvement in SQ, followed by room treatments and room correction. Amps, cables and the like are WAY down the food chain when it comes to SQ improvements vs. $$$ spent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

I'm old.......really old and have no desire to listen to anything above reference.......at least my wife told me that after listening to RMK's set up which is impressive I might add. I thought owning 2 Orbital Shifters would save me money on buttkickera!biggrin.gif

BTW, typing from an iPhone sucks!I
If the floor of the theater is concrete, the effect provided by tactile transducers can't be duplicated by subwoofers, even the Orbit Shifters. OTOH, if the floor is suspended, then the subs can shake the floor, which can shake the seating, but all that room flexing and shaking will have an acoustic impact as well as a tactile impact. Furthermore, if the floor is suspended, you don't "need" OS's to shake it. I have a friend with 4 Hsu subs who can your rattle teeth loose by shaking his suspended floor. I have another friend with Klipsch THX U2 subs who can cause hematuria, (peeing blood), from the suspended floor shaking in his theater.

If you want Orbit Shifters, get Orbit Shifters. If you want tactile shaking, use a suspended floor... or get shakers. Don't get OS's with the purpose of "replacing" shakers.

Myself, I use Crowson Tactile Actuators to shake the seating on my riser, which is suspended over a concrete floor: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450832/the-official-crowson-tactile-motion-actuators-thread

Craig
post #5084 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

EXCELLENT system, and moving to four subs was a good move. You'll smooth out room modes, and you'll need less excursion for the same level as two subs. Bass will be super clean.

Thanks, can't wait to get them installed. smile.gif
post #5085 of 6133
For all the money invested in that system, I would go with Platinum LCRs and pay for them by liquidating some stuff. There is a minuscule difference in sound between a $2,000 and and a $20,000, as long as they're the same power. I can't see spending a fortune on a name and fancy metalwork when a $1,000 amp will be 98% as good. It especially doesn't make sense if it's done at the expense of things that actually contribute greatly to the sound, like speakers and acoustical treatments.

I offer this opinion with the greatest of respect, caring, and love. cool.gif
post #5086 of 6133
And speaking of butt-shakers, I'm in a theater the size of Mankite's (around 1,850 cubic feet), and with two 1,000 watt, 15" Gold DSP Subs, the sofa vibrates like I just filled it full of quarters.
post #5087 of 6133
Hi All,

One of my LCR Gold Classic the Tweeter spoil. Can I still get the replacement or change all 3 tweeters of L/C/R into new model or any tweeter can get in the market.

Thanks and please advise.

Marcus Gan
post #5088 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Gan View Post

Hi All,

One of my LCR Gold Classic the Tweeter spoil. Can I still get the replacement or change all 3 tweeters of L/C/R into new model or any tweeter can get in the market.

Thanks and please advise.

Marcus Gan

That speaker was designed and introduced about twenty years ago. The tweeter is a proprietary Seas tweeter, and at the end of it's run, Triad was the only company using it. Seas stopped making those tweeters and the 6.5" midrange drivers about five years ago, and we bought out all they had. They are now gone. Please go to the Triad website www.triadspeakers.com and look at "how to buy" to find put who the distributor is in Singapore. They may be able to help you. Maybe he can check with Triad and see if there are any more Seas tweeters, but I doubt it. You really can't substitute another tweeter because of impedance, response, and physical shape to fit behind the dispersion control lens. You may have to try to buy a used Classic Gold LCR somewhere to use for parts.

I would also suggest e-mailing service@triadspeakers.com to see if they have any other suggestions. I'm sorry you are having this problem.
post #5089 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

smile.gif
OK, $25K seems to be the MSRP for that amp. If you already own it, then you need to decide if the money invested is a good investment. I don't know what that amp is worth on the used market, but if you could get more than $5K for it, you might consider the Earthquake Cinenova Grande, http://www.amazon.com/Earthquake-Cinenova-Grande-Power-Amp/dp/B0081K4A0C, which will do 600+ watts into 4 Ohms. Then you could sell both Krell amps and then put the remainder into the speakers. Speakers will always provide the biggest improvement in SQ, followed by room treatments and room correction. Amps, cables and the like are WAY down the food chain when it comes to SQ improvements vs. $$$ spent.
If the floor of the theater is concrete, the effect provided by tactile transducers can't be duplicated by subwoofers, even the Orbit Shifters. OTOH, if the floor is suspended, then the subs can shake the floor, which can shake the seating, but all that room flexing and shaking will have an acoustic impact as well as a tactile impact. Furthermore, if the floor is suspended, you don't "need" OS's to shake it. I have a friend with 4 Hsu subs who can your rattle teeth loose by shaking his suspended floor. I have another friend with Klipsch THX U2 subs who can cause hematuria, (peeing blood), from the suspended floor shaking in his theater.

If you want Orbit Shifters, get Orbit Shifters. If you want tactile shaking, use a suspended floor... or get shakers. Don't get OS's with the purpose of "replacing" shakers.

Myself, I use Crowson Tactile Actuators to shake the seating on my riser, which is suspended over a concrete floor: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450832/the-official-crowson-tactile-motion-actuators-thread

Craig

Once again, my sarcasm gets me in trouble...........ie. OS for buttkickers;)

The room is on the first floor and I had to personally supervise the construction process during framing..............the framers thought I was crazy, especially a friend of mine who has 30 years + in the construction business. TGI's are one foot on center with joist dampers...........1-1/4 plywood subflooring with 3/8" Serenity Mat on top along with another two layers of 3/4" plywood............floating floor so to speak......

The framers could not understand why I put a small gap between the subfloor of the theater room and the subfloor for the rest of the house...................... the joist construction was unusual to say the least. Yes, the floor is suspended, but will be fun to see how all works out.

The Krell's I got on the cheap...........would be hard to give them up, but I've been contemplating purchasing a pair of Halo's to better match amps with speakers.

The room will be acoustically treated with Quest panels............500 lbs of acoustical treatments have been sitting on a pallet in front of an open garage for the last three weeks. Yeah, nice way to treat the most important part of the room.

Since I have 1-1/2 months until the home is completed and ready for the home show, it will be extremely difficult to have a fire sale and get rid of the equipment I've gather over the years. Well...........I'm coming to the conclusion it's probably best to follow the design plan to the T and let the experts have their say.........................

Plats were my original intent...................but I have never heard them and feel very uncomfortable purchasing anything site unseen.........though I do trust the opinions of many posters here on this thread. wink.gif
post #5090 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

That speaker was designed and introduced about twenty years ago. The tweeter is a proprietary Seas tweeter, and at the end of it's run, Triad was the only company using it. Seas stopped making those tweeters and the 6.5" midrange drivers about five years ago, and we bought out all they had. They are now gone. Please go to the Triad website www.triadspeakers.com and look at "how to buy" to find put who the distributor is in Singapore. They may be able to help you. Maybe he can check with Triad and see if there are any more Seas tweeters, but I doubt it. You really can't substitute another tweeter because of impedance, response, and physical shape to fit behind the dispersion control lens. You may have to try to buy a used Classic Gold LCR somewhere to use for parts.

I would also suggest e-mailing service@triadspeakers.com to see if they have any other suggestions. I'm sorry you are having this problem.

Hi Paul,

Thanks you are the best.

Marcus
post #5091 of 6133
Marcus,

If Triad doesn't have any left over tweeters for you, you can always pick up a used LCR on eBay or here on AVS. But might be a good reason to upgrade too eek.gif
post #5092 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Marcus,

If Triad doesn't have any left over tweeters for you, you can always pick up a used LCR on eBay or here on AVS. But might be a good reason to upgrade too eek.gif

Hi Tbraden32,

Agree, since the speakers are so old. Looking at JTR Noesis 228 since I already have the JTR S1 and like it very much.

Will try to off load the other 2 LCR. BTW even though is 20 years old and still a very good speakers.

Thanks
Marcus
post #5093 of 6133
New Gold LCRs would be a great choice too!
post #5094 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Anyone have any experience or suggestions on a good bedroom setup to go with a 50" Plasma? I was thinking maybe two Mini LCRs and skip the center or possible LCR 3.0 bar or similar.

Not for movie watching, but mostly TV and sports

My wife and I use an on-wall MicroLCR 3.0 for our bedroom TV under a 50" plasma. Our bedroom is fairly long, so we put a bed on one side and a couch on the other side. The TV is on a lift, and is hidden in a cabinet in the middle of the room. It rises up and can rotate 180 degrees so we can watch from either teh bed or the couch. This is really the only reason we went with this set-up. If the TV was fixed on a wall, I would have gone with 3 separate On-Wall MiniLCR speakers with better spacing of the left and right mains.

We only watch this display when the kids are sleeping, so high SPL was obviously not a consideration for this application. For that matter I didn't even bother with a subwoofer. The clarity of the speaker(s) is excellent, and we drive it with an old Denon AVR. It's really perfect for watching TV or the occasional movie at low volume with excellent dialogue intelligibility.
post #5095 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

New Gold LCRs would be a great choice too!

That's what I was thinking. biggrin.gif
post #5096 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post

My wife and I use an on-wall MicroLCR 3.0 for our bedroom TV under a 50" plasma. Our bedroom is fairly long, so we put a bed on one side and a couch on the other side. The TV is on a lift, and is hidden in a cabinet in the middle of the room. It rises up and can rotate 180 degrees so we can watch from either teh bed or the couch. This is really the only reason we went with this set-up. If the TV was fixed on a wall, I would have gone with 3 separate On-Wall MiniLCR speakers with better spacing of the left and right mains.

We only watch this display when the kids are sleeping, so high SPL was obviously not a consideration for this application. For that matter I didn't even bother with a subwoofer. The clarity of the speaker(s) is excellent, and we drive it with an old Denon AVR. It's really perfect for watching TV or the occasional movie at low volume with excellent dialogue intelligibility.

Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards just a L and R, but might add the center too. Not looking for any surround or monster sound. Just something better then my non existing TV speakers. Probably will not even add a sub either as of now.

What kind of power will a MiniLCR require?
Edited by tbraden32 - 5/8/13 at 7:19pm
post #5097 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards just a L and R, but might add the center too. Not looking for any surround or monster sound. Just something better then my non existing TV speakers. Probably will not even add a sub either as of now.

What kind of power will a MiniLCR require?

For your purposes, and even if you boost bass a little for low-level listening; a 25-watt per channel receiver will do fine. If your old Denon is more than that; even better.

Purists will gasp at this next comment, but if you want a better spectral balance for general television viewing, try using the loudness contour. I'm assuming when you say "old Denon" it has a loudness control. This will fill the bottom end and also boost treble at low levels. I always thought the Fletcher Munson Curve was rather clever. Notice the progressively larger bass and treble boosts at lower levels.

http://www.audiophilejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/fletcher_munson.gif
Edited by Paul Scarpelli - 5/9/13 at 6:17am
post #5098 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

That's what I was thinking. biggrin.gif

Thanks Paul,

Do you know any dealer in US that can export to Singapore.

Just check the dealer in Singapore is selling USD2200/ pc.

How much is the LCR Gold retail in US?

Marcus
post #5099 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Gan View Post

Thanks Paul,

Do you know any dealer in US that can export to Singapore.

Just check the dealer in Singapore is selling USD2200/ pc.

How much is the LCR Gold retail in US?

Marcus

The U.S. retail price of an InRoom Gold LCR is $2,150 each, and the InWall Gold/6 LCR is $2,250 each. If I were you, I would buy locally. Domestic dealers are not allowed to transship, freight would be costly, and speakers are more likely to be damaged shipping around the world. It looks as if pricing is not an issue, either. You will love Gold LCRs.
post #5100 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

The U.S. retail price of an InRoom Gold LCR is $2,150 each, and the InWall Gold/6 LCR is $2,250 each. If I were you, I would buy locally. Domestic dealers are not allowed to transship, freight would be costly, and speakers are more likely to be damaged shipping around the world. It looks as if pricing is not an issue, either. You will love Gold LCRs.

Thanks, For US50 different I would rather get locally with warranty.

I know I will love the LCR Gold. I like the LCR Gold Classic very much and I'm familar with Triad SQ.

Cheers and Have a nice day.

Marcus
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Triad Owner's Thread