or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Triad Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Triad Owner's Thread - Page 182

post #5431 of 6133
That is a beautiful setup. Is it me or do the those speakers just look larger than they should for "bookshelves"? I keep trying to wrap my head around the size of these things. I'm just not used to looking at speakers that aren't towers.
post #5432 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post

That is a beautiful setup. Is it me or do the those speakers just look larger than they should for "bookshelves"? I keep trying to wrap my head around the size of these things. I'm just not used to looking at speakers that aren't towers.

The left and right Golds are on top of Triad Pedestals...................great product those pedestals are........solid and when you fill them with sand........silent as a church mouse! BTW.......on top of pedestals............the Golds do look like towers! wink.gif

Triad speakers are exceptionally well dampened and well built........................and tonight.........I found out how loud they can really get and still hold their composure! biggrin.gif
post #5433 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

I too looked at the JTR Noesis 212's...................................great speakers but not at smooth nor gives a wide sound stage like the Gold LCR's.

Today, I received my S2 which helped immensely! I was running the Golds LARGE but didn't raise the volume above -15db's on the 8801.

Well.......different story today................crossing over at 80 hz opened up the Golds BIG TIME!!!!! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif There is eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif no need for Noesis 212's..............................



Nice!
post #5434 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

The left and right Golds are on top of Triad Pedestals...................great product those pedestals are........solid and when you fill them with sand........silent as a church mouse! BTW.......on top of pedestals............the Golds do look like towers! wink.gif

Does Triad make pedestals for the Silvers as well? I'm going to be looking at a similar setup as yours w/ the Silvers, and pedestals would definitely be a help.
post #5435 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblee View Post

Does Triad make pedestals for the Silvers as well? I'm going to be looking at a similar setup as yours w/ the Silvers, and pedestals would definitely be a help.

Triad makes pedestals for all InRoom models, in an optimized height for the particular speaker model. Custom heights are available at an additional charge, and custom paint is free. Pedestals can also be ordered in veneer at an upcharge, but I suggest that is done at the time the speakers are ordered so the veneer matches. When the speaker and pedestal are ordered at the same time, the veneer grain carries through from the speaker to the pedestal, for a very nice look.
post #5436 of 6133
Can you get a "Piano Black" finish on the Inroom Gold LCR's and pedestals? If so, is it the same upcharge as veneers?
post #5437 of 6133
Well.........................last night watched the newer version of "Total Recall". What can I say...........

I was pleasantly surprised how dynamic the Gold LCR's were when calibrated appropriately. For the last three weeks while waiting for my first installment subs, I've been listening to Gold LCR set at large while keeping the volume at -15 db's on the 8801.

Spent the greater part of yesterday afternoon calibrating and measuring the Silver and Golds.................sounds like a Burl Ive's Song....:.....oops........as I digress.....biggrin.gif

Anyhow, installing crossover's at 80 hz on all speakers I hit the jackpot! The Gold's are really dynamic and sound stage seemed to be wrapped around me............quite the unique experience. With all the installs I've heard using Gold LCR's................none of them demonstrated the true dynamics of this speaker! Goes to show..............auditioning speakers in a B&M is like having a speed limit on the highway.............you can only go so fast ie. loud! I must say................granted, the room has the biggest influence on sound..............yet Triad Gold's paired with Quest acoustic treatments are a hit!

Jeeeezzzzzeeee Paul.................there is no way I could have used Plats and still have my hearing!!!! biggrin.gif
post #5438 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Well.........................last night watched the newer version of "Total Recall". What can I say...........

I was pleasantly surprised how dynamic the Gold LCR's were when calibrated appropriately. For the last three weeks while waiting for my first installment subs, I've been listening to Gold LCR set at large while keeping the volume at -15 db's on the 8801.

Spent the greater part of yesterday afternoon calibrating and measuring the Silver and Golds.................sounds like a Burl Ive's Song....:.....oops........as I digress.....biggrin.gif
Who's Burl Ives? biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Anyhow, installing crossover's at 80 hz on all speakers I hit the jackpot! The Gold's are really dynamic and sound stage seemed to be wrapped around me............quite the unique experience. With all the installs I've heard using Gold LCR's................none of them demonstrated the true dynamics of this speaker! Goes to show..............auditioning speakers in a B&M is like having a speed limit on the highway.............you can only go so fast ie. loud! I must say................granted, the room has the biggest influence on sound..............yet Triad Gold's paired with Quest acoustic treatments are a hit!
That's exactly what I heard in my room with the Gold LCR's. It's also why I preferred the LCR's to the Gold Monitors. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Jeeeezzzzzeeee Paul.................there is no way I could have used Plats and still have my hearing!!!! biggrin.gif
Whad he say??? biggrin.gif

Craig
post #5439 of 6133
I have a similar scenario to what Yuradar mentioned a few pages back. I noticed Dawn mentioned a solution of InWall Silver/4 Surrounds for the rear and side surrounds in ceiling (my options are limited to in ceiling).

My project: I have a 17' x 18' great room with 12' ceilings. On one side I have sliding glass doors and wall space. On the back and other side the room is completely open to my kitchen and wet bar. Not necessarily the perfect room for audio quality, but I have to deal with what I have. I have Focal 1038BEs for the front with a Focal CC1000BE in the center. I am sticking with these as we do quite a bit of two channel listening in the room and we really what these speakers produce. I am trying to find in ceiling speakers that will mate well with this system (I have a Parasound A51 amp and am going to add either a A23 or A21 for the other two channels - or JC1s if the budget grows). The speakers need to be in the ceiling as per the decorator (my wife).

I was looking at matching Focal Electra in ceiling speakers, but I have come across this thread in my research and have heard quite a few good things about Triad in the past. Not sure that in ceiling is Focal's specialty. Does anyone have any good suggestions with Triad in ceiling speakers to complete my 7.1 system?
post #5440 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

Can you get a "Piano Black" finish on the Inroom Gold LCR's and pedestals? If so, is it the same upcharge as veneers?

Piano black is a problem, unless there are no environmental regulations, like in China. Triad has tried to find a solution for a decade. I do know that they have been offering a piano black finish for over a year, but I don't know on what products. My guess is it isn't cheap, either. I don't know if it's more than veneer, but I wouldn't doubt it. I would check with your local Triad rep; he may have the answer. In the meantime, I'll try to get an answer for you.
post #5441 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Who's Burl Ives? biggrin.gif
That's exactly what I heard in my room with the Gold LCR's. It's also why I preferred the LCR's to the Gold Monitors. smile.gif
Whad he say??? biggrin.gif

Craig

Jeezzzeee Craig............you must be a young whipper-snapper! You don't Know Burl Ive's "Silver and Gold?"


On another note................If the Gold Monitors are only a few db's less in output than Gold LCR............I might be changing out soon as I can only listening at -10 db's!!!!!! tongue.gif
post #5442 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjosh View Post

I have a similar scenario to what Yuradar mentioned a few pages back. I noticed Dawn mentioned a solution of InWall Silver/4 Surrounds for the rear and side surrounds in ceiling (my options are limited to in ceiling).

My project: I have a 17' x 18' great room with 12' ceilings. On one side I have sliding glass doors and wall space. On the back and other side the room is completely open to my kitchen and wet bar. Not necessarily the perfect room for audio quality, but I have to deal with what I have. I have Focal 1038BEs for the front with a Focal CC1000BE in the center. I am sticking with these as we do quite a bit of two channel listening in the room and we really what these speakers produce. I am trying to find in ceiling speakers that will mate well with this system (I have a Parasound A51 amp and am going to add either a A23 or A21 for the other two channels - or JC1s if the budget grows). The speakers need to be in the ceiling as per the decorator (my wife).

I was looking at matching Focal Electra in ceiling speakers, but I have come across this thread in my research and have heard quite a few good things about Triad in the past. Not sure that in ceiling is Focal's specialty. Does anyone have any good suggestions with Triad in ceiling speakers to complete my 7.1 system?

Triad has many possible inceiling solutions, but your room may limit them somewhat. If your room is open and not fully acoustically treated, you may not want to do a dipole, especially with 12' ceilings. There are several Triad InCeiling models that have flush grills but angled baffles (45-degrees), and they aim all the sound (not just the tweeters) at the listening area. You could do a pair wide to the sides, and another identical pair in the ceiling near the back of the theater area, aiming into the seating area. With front speakers that good, and nice electronics, I'd recommend either the InCeiling Gold/8 Omni SE at $1,050 each, or even the InCeiling Gold/8 MiniMonitor at $2,000 each. They both use the same tweeter that's in the Gold LCR, but the Omni SE uses a 6" Seas woofer. The Gold MiniMonitor uses a 7" Scan-Speak Revelator woofer, which is the same driver used in the $3,800 Gold Monitor. Either speaker will work very well with what you have. Made in America, and don't forget to order the speakers custom paint matched to your ceiling. Visually, they disappear. In my office, I'm using three InCeiling Gold/8 MiniMonitors for fronts, and with good electronics, they sing.
post #5443 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflo Soldier View Post

Please help, have a question abourt applicability of Triad Omni Runds in ceiling for my new 7.1 set up. I'm wondering if firing "down" from the ceiling they would work OK as my Surround Back Left / Right speakers.

I'm configuring these Surround Back Left / Right speakers per this arrangement:
http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

Thank so much for the quickest feedback / thoughts anyone may have, especially anyone who's using Triad Omni Rounds in a similar/same set up as this?
Appreciate any help or feedback on Omni Rounds for the rear speakers in 7.1 setup! Thanks!
post #5444 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Piano black is a problem, unless there are no environmental regulations, like in China. Triad has tried to find a solution for a decade. I do know that they have been offering a piano black finish for over a year, but I don't know on what products. My guess is it isn't cheap, either. I don't know if it's more than veneer, but I wouldn't doubt it. I would check with your local Triad rep; he may have the answer. In the meantime, I'll try to get an answer for you.

Great. Thank you! In lieu of that potential, is there any black paint that gives off a similar look - or would that be the same as a piano black finish?
post #5445 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Jeezzzeee Craig............you must be a young whipper-snapper! You don't Know Burl Ive's "Silver and Gold?"

My mom used to listen to "Pearly Shells" over and over and over....

We also had a couple of his Christmas albums that were played ad nauseum at Christmastime. She wore the needle out on the record player. eek.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

On another note................If the Gold Monitors are only a few db's less in output than Gold LCR............I might be changing out soon as I can only listening at -10 db's!!!!!! tongue.gif

I suggest you keep the LCR's until you've setup the Monitors and you're sure they can do what you want.

Craig
post #5446 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

My mom used to listen to "Pearly Shells" over and over and over....

Craig

I feel your pain................look on the brighter side.................at least it wasn't like "Bobby Vinton singing Roses are Red" like I had to over and over and over..........again! wink.gif

Back to Triad............
post #5447 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

Great. Thank you! In lieu of that potential, is there any black paint that gives off a similar look - or would that be the same as a piano black finish?

Gloss paint is not like shooting two coats plus clear. It requires many coats that have to be rubbed down between coats. The labor is insane. It's like custom car paint. And the smooth, shiny surface shows every small imperfection, so there's lots of swearing and wet sanding between coats. If Triad didn't go to all that trouble, it would look like "The Krylon Nightmare."
post #5448 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

Great. Thank you! In lieu of that potential, is there any black paint that gives off a similar look - or would that be the same as a piano black finish?

Triad does now offer gloss paint on all speaker products. I can call them for pricing if you like.

I'll PM you with more info.
post #5449 of 6133
Thanks Paul! Great information. I will definitely look into both the InCeiling Gold/8 Omni SE and the InCeiling Gold/8 MiniMonitor. In your opinion, which pair of speakers is more important - the sides or the rears? It may be possible to put the MiniMonitors where they are needed most and stick with the Omni SE for the other pair. Just a thought.
post #5450 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjosh View Post

Thanks Paul! Great information. I will definitely look into both the InCeiling Gold/8 Omni SE and the InCeiling Gold/8 MiniMonitor. In your opinion, which pair of speakers is more important - the sides or the rears? It may be possible to put the MiniMonitors where they are needed most and stick with the Omni SE for the other pair. Just a thought.

If you had to make a choice, the sides are most important. They have more hard, discrete information in them. The rears usually carry more ambiance, with an occasional effect panned back there. You could use Gold MiniMonitors for the sides and Gold Omni SEs for the rears.
post #5451 of 6133
Thanks again Paul! That combination may work.
post #5452 of 6133
By the way, the ONLY Triad speakers available in piano black are the OnWall soundbar models. Other models have to be special ordered in piano black, and it's not cheap.
post #5453 of 6133
Greetings triad owners.. Been hearing a lot of good things about the speakers.. How much real difference is there between gold and platinum lcr? Also whats the diff in cost?
post #5454 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo1 View Post

Greetings triad owners.. Been hearing a lot of good things about the speakers.. How much real difference is there between gold and platinum lcr? Also whats the diff in cost?

The Platinums are their no compromise speaker. High SPL with high resolution, clarity and great dynamics. The Golds have good resolution and clarity and even have good dynamics, but not to the degree the Plats have and with good reason. MSRP on the in-room Gold LCR's is $2,150. MSRP on the Platinum LCR is $7,500.
Reply
Reply
post #5455 of 6133
I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record but the Gold Lcrs are the best speakers I've ever heard when you consider cost and performance. And this is coming from a Platinum owner. 😉
Edited by mankite - 8/25/13 at 3:08am
post #5456 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankite View Post

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record but the Gold Lcrs are the best speakers I've ever heard when you consider cost and performance. And this is coming from a Platinum owner. 😉

I too was considering Plats......................heard Noesis 212's..................and figured Plats were too much. Never heard the Plats but really wished I had.........maybe I'd be a Plat owner. Gold LCR's are plenty dynamic for me...........and better resolution than Noesis 212's.................yet I'm actually attempting to have Gold Monitors put in my room temporarily to see if I want to make a change. It's not a question of dynamics.....but resolution.

I love Gold Monitor's that much.............and at -10 db's on my Marantz 8801 I'm saying, "Uncle" with my Gold LCR's..............so maybe........just maybe Gold Monitors might work for me.wink.gif

Though the Gold LCR's are fantastic.................they just don't have the resolution that I want compared to Gold Monitors. If I can have the same big bold dynamic sound from Monitors that I can with Gold LCR's..........I'm switching out. It not.........then I'm holding pat.

I must agree..................Gold LCR's are THE best bang for the buck I've heard over the last two and half years searching for speakers...........and believe me, I spent every waking moment searching from Seattle down to San Diego. I must have auditioned over 100 different speakers and visited close to that many AV business establishments.

BTW, I have a JTR S2 in my room and was told it would over power my Gold LCR's............well that's not true whatsoever.......it's actually the other way around! I need more bass!!! wink.gif

I've tuned the room the best I can for now......I have +/- 5 db's variance in 7 seating positions so smoothing/filling is needed...............wait until you learn about my path to perfection!!!!! wink.gif
Edited by doublewing11 - 8/25/13 at 8:34am
post #5457 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

I too was considering Plats......................heard Noesis 212's..................and figured Plats were too much. Never heard the Plats but really wished I had.........maybe I'd be a Plat owner. Gold LCR's are plenty dynamic for me...........and better resolution than Noesis 212's.................yet I'm actually attempting to have Gold Monitors put in my room temporarily to see if I want to make a change. It's not a question of dynamics.....but resolution.

I love Gold Monitor's that much.............and at -10 db's on my Marantz 8801 I'm saying, "Uncle" with my Gold LCR's..............so maybe........just maybe Gold Monitors might work for me.wink.gif

Though the Gold LCR's are fantastic.................they just don't have the resolution that I want compared to Gold Monitors. If I can have the same big bold dynamic sound from Monitors that I can with Gold LCR's..........I'm switching out. It not.........then I'm holding pat.

I must agree..................Gold LCR's are THE best bang for the buck I've heard over the last two and half years searching for speakers...........and believe me, I spent every waking moment searching from Seattle down to San Diego. I must have auditioned over 100 different speakers and visited close to that many AV business establishments.

BTW, I have a JTR S2 in my room and was told it would over power my Gold LCR's............well that's not true whatsoever.......it's actually the other way around! I need more bass!!! wink.gif

I've tuned the room the best I can for now......I have +/- 5 db's variance in 7 seating positions so smoothing/filling is needed...............wait until you learn about my path to perfection!!!!! wink.gif
"I need more bass!!!" confused.gif

If you have a subwoofer with dual 18" drivers, driven by 4,000 watts of power, it's hard to believe you "need more bass." This sounds more like a "perceptual" problem than a "real" problem. If you've calibrated to Reference Level, and then you're listening at 10 to 15 dB below Reference Level, you need to "correct" the bass for the decreased "perception" of bass frequencies caused by your human hearing.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E2%80%93Munson_curves

What most humans prefer when listening at levels lower than the level used for calibration is a rising LF curve, AKA a "house" curve. IOW, at listening levels lower than you calibrated at, you need to run your subwoofer "hot." I suggest turning the subwoofer trim up 3 to 6 dB. You should easily have enough headroom in your S2 subwoofer to accommodate this, especially with a MVC setting of -10 to -15. This will make the "perception" of the bass more appropriate for your human hearing deficiencies, (which ALL humans have.)

If you already have enough headroom, the real benefit of additional subwoofers is smoothing of the FR over more listening positions. In particular, multiple subs eliminates nulls. If you have significant nulls in your room, at your listening position, additional subs will reduce or eliminate those nulls, and make the bass sound fuller and better, and will give the impression of "more." Nonetheless, if you calibrate the combined response of the subs to the equivalent level of the single, you won't have "more" subwoofage, you'll have "better subwoofage."

On the subject of moving to Gold Monitors, IMO, it is important to have a "balanced" system. Having a subwoofer system that is immensely more capable than the speakers will leave the speakers wanting. A single S2 will overwhelm Gold Monitors in virtually any sized room. Multiple S2's will be massive overkill for them. If you go with multiple S2's, you'll definitely want more speaker, in order to be able to take full advantage of your sub system, Or, you could consider downgrading the subs to be in balance with the more limited output capability, (albeit the arguably better sound quality), of the Gold Monitors. Then commit to lower playback levels and realize you can't exceed them.

It'll be interesting to hear your impressions of the Gold Monitors in your room in direct comparo to the Gold LCR's. Good luck. smile.gif

Craig
post #5458 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

"I need more bass!!!" confused.gif

If you have a subwoofer with dual 18" drivers, driven by 4,000 watts of power, it's hard to believe you "need more bass." This sounds more like a "perceptual" problem than a "real" problem. If you've calibrated to Reference Level, and then you're listening at 10 to 15 dB below Reference Level, you need to "correct" the bass for the decreased "perception" of bass frequencies caused by your human hearing.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E2%80%93Munson_curves

What most humans prefer when listening at levels lower than the level used for calibration is a rising LF curve, AKA a "house" curve. IOW, at listening levels lower than you calibrated at, you need to run your subwoofer "hot." I suggest turning the subwoofer trim up 3 to 6 dB. You should easily have enough headroom in your S2 subwoofer to accommodate this, especially with a MVC setting of -10 to -15. This will make the "perception" of the bass more appropriate for your human hearing deficiencies, (which ALL humans have.)

If you already have enough headroom, the real benefit of additional subwoofers is smoothing of the FR over more listening positions. In particular, multiple subs eliminates nulls. If you have significant nulls in your room, at your listening position, additional subs will reduce or eliminate those nulls, and make the bass sound fuller and better, and will give the impression of "more." Nonetheless, if you calibrate the combined response of the subs to the equivalent level of the single, you won't have "more" subwoofage, you'll have "better subwoofage."

On the subject of moving to Gold Monitors, IMO, it is important to have a "balanced" system. Having a subwoofer system that is immensely more capable than the speakers will leave the speakers wanting. A single S2 will overwhelm Gold Monitors in virtually any sized room. Multiple S2's will be massive overkill for them. If you go with multiple S2's, you'll definitely want more speaker, in order to be able to take full advantage of your sub system, Or, you could consider downgrading the subs to be in balance with the more limited output capability, (albeit the arguably better sound quality), of the Gold Monitors. Then commit to lower playback levels and realize you can't exceed them.

It'll be interesting to hear your impressions of the Gold Monitors in your room in direct comparo to the Gold LCR's. Good luck. smile.gif

Craig

Yup, I tried to talk him down Craig but he seems bound and determined to have it both ways. Unfortunately, no can do ...

Here's hoping he listens to the sage of the Triad Thread ... wink.gif
post #5459 of 6133
Doublewing's statement that he needs more bass reminds me of some wisdom imparted to me thirty years ago by Matthew Polk, when he told me "Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #5460 of 6133
I've already bumped the S2 +3db's.................................and the reason why I need more bass is to smooth. I'm not a novice and have ability to correct............may take time, but it will get done.

It has been mentioned several times Gold Monitors will play with in 1-2 db's relative to Gold LCR's. If that's the case, with my listening habits Gold Monitors will work just fine...........if not, then I'll hold pat my recent purchase and fiddle with filling subs which has been my intent all along. Once I have REW up and running I'll have a better plan of attack.

Well...........I found Jesus...............I just need to find bass!

Cough.........better bass..........
Edited by doublewing11 - 8/26/13 at 4:12pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Triad Owner's Thread