or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Triad Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Triad Owner's Thread - Page 190

post #5671 of 6133
With your help I am just about ready to order the Gold Omni SE for LCR and Silver surrounds just as soon as we can decide on the room paint color.

Question: will the Denon X4000 have any issue driving these to -10dB given the silver surrounds are 4 ohm rated?
post #5672 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post

With your help I am just about ready to order the Gold Omni SE for LCR and Silver surrounds just as soon as we can decide on the room paint color.

Question: will the Denon X4000 have any issue driving these to -10dB given the silver surrounds are 4 ohm rated?

AVR-X4000 cannot do 4 ohm so you will have to power with an external amp or get a different receiver.
post #5673 of 6133
Specs aren't everything. I've used the Marantz SR600x.. for 4 ohm loads and never had a problem, it sounds better than Denon as well.
post #5674 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post

With your help I am just about ready to order the Gold Omni SE for LCR and Silver surrounds just as soon as we can decide on the room paint color.

Question: will the Denon X4000 have any issue driving these to -10dB given the silver surrounds are 4 ohm rated?

I can tell you that the x4000 has no issue powering 2 of my Silver/4 in-wall surrounds to reference level. I am using an xpa-5 for the other 5 speakers - so I am only asking the x4000 to drive the surround rears. I never tried using it to drive any more of my speakers - I have silver/4 LCRs and surrounds in a 7.2 setup.

How many surrounds are you using - 2 or 4 ? At the volume you posted I think you will be fine. Just be careful and raise the volume slowly in your initial testing so you can listen for any hint of distortion.
post #5675 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjinatl View Post

I can tell you that the x4000 has no issue powering 2 of my Silver/4 in-wall surrounds to reference level. I am using an xpa-5 for the other 5 speakers - so I am only asking the x4000 to drive the surround rears. I never tried using it to drive any more of my speakers - I have silver/4 LCRs and surrounds in a 7.2 setup.

How many surrounds are you using - 2 or 4 ? At the volume you posted I think you will be fine. Just be careful and raise the volume slowly in your initial testing so you can listen for any hint of distortion.

I was driving an entire GOLD LCR & Surround setup off of the Receiver and it had no problem powering any of them. I didn't realize that it wasn't 4 ohm capable and had since had problems with the receiver. Not sure if that was the culprit but its hard to rule out when i was doing something i shouldn't have and not read the specs. All i am saying is just because you can do something doesn't mean its right and not worth the chance of ruining a new receiver.
post #5676 of 6133
Brandon, by the same token, I'm not sure we can blame the receiver issues on the amps driving 4-Ohm speakers. You still had the isses with the receiver shutting down intermittently even after we added an external amp. Lets see what Denon says before we assign specific blame.

Craig
post #5677 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Brandon, by the same token, I'm not sure we can blame the receiver issues on the amps driving 4-Ohm speakers. You still had the isses with the receiver shutting down intermittently even after we added an external amp. Lets see what Denon says before we assign specific blame.

Craig

Correct it could be a red haring but the damage could have already been done to the receiver before we hooked up the amp so its hard to rule out at the moment. I am simply saying if i would have noticed that the receiver wasn't capable of a 4ohm load i would have avoided it from the gate just to be cautious... With that said the receiver actually did power the speakers really well on its own.
post #5678 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjinatl View Post

How many surrounds are you using - 2 or 4 ? At the volume you posted I think you will be fine. Just be careful and raise the volume slowly in your initial testing so you can listen for any hint of distortion.

I would only be driving 2 surrounds for a 5.2 configuration, but the front 3 8-ohm Omni SE's would be driven by the receiver too.
post #5679 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post

I would only be driving 2 surrounds for a 5.2 configuration, but the front 3 8-ohm Omni SE's would be driven by the receiver too.

Well those 8 ohm speakers aren't going to be a problem. I think if you keep the volume reasonable you won't have any issues. I have had my setup in place now for about 2months now and have used the system quite a bit and at consistently similar volumes or higher than -10 and have seen no issues. The Denon amp may get a little warm but not overly so and that is after several hours of movie watching.

And those surrounds sound great. I have been watching a lot of recent Bond movies and the Bourne series - some of those action sequences have a lot going on in the surround channels.

I too was a bit concerned with how well the Denon would handle those speakers given the specs on this AVR but I have to say so far so good.
post #5680 of 6133
Hi there,

I also have a question about the receiver. I am going to buy 3 inwall Silver/4 monitors for LCR in my home theater system. Someone recommend the new Marantz SR7008 AVR. I am wondering whether it can handle Silver Monitors with enough power.
Here is the power spec of SR7008:
125 W + 125 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.)
165 W + 165 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7% T.H.D.)

Michael
post #5681 of 6133
Yes, I use Marantz Receivers with Triad all the time. Excellent choice!
post #5682 of 6133
Hi all -

I'm planning a first-floor distributed audio project. My home has an open floor plan ... each 'living space' is about 250 ft^2, with 9 ft ceilings. Moderate furnishings with hardwood floors. For each 'living space', I envision a set of four InCeiling Silver SealedRound speakers - no separation of more than 9 feet from one speaker to another. With the size of our first floor, this equates to about 16 speakers.

My concern is bass extension ... even though the system obviously cannot recreate the imaging of a 2.0 or 2.1 system, I want to have the low frequency extension to rival the >music< capabilities of my media room (think acoustic jazz and 19-20th c. orchestral).

My thought was that I might have to add one InCeiling Bronze/10 Sub per 'living space' (i.e., per set of 4 InCeiling Silvers) to add the LF extension that I need.

Without having access to s similar existing installation, would those of you with experience think that the subs are necessary, or will the large number of distributed Silver SealedRounds (working together) provide enough bass extension by themselves?

Thanks in advance for your advice -

Happy Holidays!

- ianbtv
Cambridge, VT USA
post #5683 of 6133
You will get better bass if you go with the open rounds instead.

I would install wire for the sub(s), but not purchase the subs immediately. Try the open rounds first, and then add the subs if you need them.
post #5684 of 6133
Can somebody PM me and tell me what a decent/average price is for three Triad platinum's?

Perhaps the golds as well
post #5685 of 6133
I am looking to upgrade the receiver at the house. I added a Apple TV and an Xbox One. Both of those devices are HDMI only. For me that means that it can only be displayed in zone 1 and can't be displayed in Zone 2. The current Denon 4308ci only had component video output for Zone 2.

I would like to stay with the Denon, but am not married to the brand. The current Denon choices would be the X4000 and the 4520. The 4520 has a little more power to the speakers than the X4000 (150w v. 125w).

What would be a better matching receiver for my Traid Silver InWall speakers and Triad InWall Silver/15 sub?

Thanks,
Tom
post #5686 of 6133
I bought a set of used Triad Platinum LCRs + Center, and I'd love to have some advice on how to best integrate them for a 30x17x12 dedicated theater (in progress). (I also have a bunch of subs.)
Thanks for your time and advice!

1) Amplification?
I currently have 2x Parasound JC1s and 1x A51. Do you feel that the Platinums benefit much from the JC1s? So far, I'm not noticing much benefit compared to my previous (much less efficient) speakers, which really opened up with the JC1s. I noticed that the big Triad Cedia demo used 3x JC1s for all the fronts. I am considering selling my JC1s and reinvesting in other areas.

2) Baffle Wall?
I'm planning on mounting the speakers behind an AT screen on a false wall. How much benefit would a baffle wall make over simply putting heavy acoustic treatment on the front wall? What parameters would you suggest for a baffle wall?

3) Go Active?
I am using JRiver as my primary source, which supports some fancy convolution plug-ins for room correction and active crossovers. What do you think about using software like Audiolense or Acourate to design filters along with a 16 channel DAC, and using the PC as a preamp? Do you think this would provide much benefit over running the Plats as passive, or am I more likely to spoil things? Can you provide details on the built-in crossover parameters?

4) Height/Angle
If I mount the speakers so that the tweeters are in the middle of the screen, should I angle the whole speakers down, or is it fine to just angle the horn?
post #5687 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknipper View Post

I am looking to upgrade the receiver at the house. I added a Apple TV and an Xbox One. Both of those devices are HDMI only. For me that means that it can only be displayed in zone 1 and can't be displayed in Zone 2. The current Denon 4308ci only had component video output for Zone 2.

I would like to stay with the Denon, but am not married to the brand. The current Denon choices would be the X4000 and the 4520. The 4520 has a little more power to the speakers than the X4000 (150w v. 125w).

What would be a better matching receiver for my Traid Silver InWall speakers and Triad InWall Silver/15 sub?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom - I can't speak to the 4520 but I am currently using a X4000 in my setup with Silver/4 inwall speakers. I am using the X4000 to drive only my surround backs and am using an XPA- 5 amp to power the other 5. I like the feature set on the X4000 and since I have dual subs I like the fact that the Audyssey calibration handles that setup. Not sure if the 4520 has that feature or not so might be something to consider if you anticipate going to 2 subs at some point. You didn't mention whether you had an additional amp to drive your speakers or how load you intend to listen to them. I would hesitate to use the X4000 to drive all 5 or 7 Silver/4 inwalls if you intend on listening anywhere close to reference as these are 4 ohm speakers and will likely require more power than the X4000 has to give at higher volumes.
post #5688 of 6133
I am currently using the Denon 4308 to power everything. My normal listening levels are -20 to -35 for movies depending on type of movie (kids or action) and time of day (kids sleeping).

I am leaning towards the 4520 for the power.

Thanks,
Tom
post #5689 of 6133
Some pics of my Triads in room:

Me installing the Gold LCRs



Using the laser to do a bit of toe in:




Adding OC703 + foam wedges for "cool" factor



Done:


With panels removed to show the four Triad subs:

post #5690 of 6133
Very nice.

Do you have any other subs in the room?
post #5691 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post

Very nice.

Do you have any other subs in the room?

Thanks Dawn.

These are the only subs. Placement was not ideal...I didn't plan well smile.gif. I was a bit worried the sonic results would suffer. (I was prepared for plan B....four corner placement and some extra costs)

My build thread is 5 months behind reality. Since these pics I've spent 500+ hours in the room and had Jeff @ accucalhd.com calibrate the room.

The room rocks! Front row, MLP, is flat enough that the Triad PEQ was not even used...get lucky sometimes. Back row sucks..LOL but it's only 18" off the wall so not sure any placement would help.

Reference capable at MLP. But we listen at -20 to -12 depending on source.
post #5692 of 6133
@Yzfbossman - Love the room - looks great. Gold LCRs are my FAV!

A question for you (and other similar configurations) ... I often see folks put all three speakers behind the screen but that leads to the left and right being less than the Dolby recommended 22-30 degrees from center, even more so when you get into the second row. Is there a reason you chose this approach vs. having the L/R flank the screen? Looks like you could have made that work also. Just curious.

I use to run 11 channels ( w/ heights/wides) but once I moved to an AT screen (which moved my center up) and moved my mains out a little bit .. the WALL-O-SOUND is HUGE and I've pretty much abandoned anything beyond 7 channels at this point. I'm about 26 degrees in the front row and 20 degrees in the second.

Great work !!!!
post #5693 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknipper View Post

I am currently using the Denon 4308 to power everything. My normal listening levels are -20 to -35 for movies depending on type of movie (kids or action) and time of day (kids sleeping).

I am leaning towards the 4520 for the power.

Thanks,
Tom

Yeah if you intend to power a 7.1 or 7.2 setup using the single Denon receiver then 4520 may be a safer bet if all of your speakers are Silver/4's. It also has more amps as well and gives you the sub eq for dual subs in case you ever wanted to add a sub and take advantage of that. Still your listening levels are pretty moderate so the 4520 would not be pushed much at all at those levels. Lots of headroom if you ever wanted to go to higher volumes closer to reference level.
post #5694 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleyc View Post

@Yzfbossman - Love the room - looks great. Gold LCRs are my FAV!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleyc View Post

A question for you (and other similar configurations) ... I often see folks put all three speakers behind the screen but that leads to the left and right being less than the Dolby recommended 22-30 degrees from center, even more so when you get into the second row. Is there a reason you chose this approach vs. having the L/R flank the screen? Looks like you could have made that work also. Just curious.

To be honest, it was ignorance for me. I did put thought into it....but I just didn't have any practical knowledge of how much of a sonic difference it would/could make. I still don't. Right now my LR is at ~21 degrees at MLP. (if outside of screen wall I think it wold have been 29-30 degrees) I did the calculators and measured...etc... I sure wish I could A/B the placement with out too much effort. I ended up deciding to anchor it all to the screen and follow the sheeple. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleyc View Post

I use to run 11 channels ( w/ heights/wides) but once I moved to an AT screen (which moved my center up) and moved my mains out a little bit .. the WALL-O-SOUND is HUGE and I've pretty much abandoned anything beyond 7 channels at this point. I'm about 26 degrees in the front row and 20 degrees in the second.

Great work !!!!

I wish I could hear that!
post #5695 of 6133
21 at the is MLP is good and frankly the most important. Also I never took into account the wide angle shots which gives the illusion of 'extra' width .. without being able to tell where the first row will be. Just skimmed your thread .. amazing carpentry and fabric work!!!

When you had Jeff do the calibration .. I'm assuming you had both audio and video calibrated? If so, what tools does he use to adjust the audio?
post #5696 of 6133
Okay gentlemen due to recent events I met a point that I'm seriously considering Golds. I live in Eugene Oregon does anyone know the closest place to demo some?

I'm not making any radical instant decisions from my first choice JTR speakers, but I wouldn't mind having a listen
post #5697 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleyc View Post

A question for you (and other similar configurations) ... I often see folks put all three speakers behind the screen but that leads to the left and right being less than the Dolby recommended 22-30 degrees from center, even more so when you get into the second row. Is there a reason you chose this approach vs. having the L/R flank the screen? Looks like you could have made that work also. Just curious.

I'm still in the early construction phase of my HT but I chose to put my LR behind the 2.35:1 screen (50 degree viewing angle) for two reasons:

First since I was doing in-wall (and not a false wall due to limited room depth) and could not toe-in the speaker I assumed that 21 degrees would be better than being 30 degrees off axis.

Second I wanted to keep the speakers at least 2-3 feet from the room boundary, which for my also somewhat narrow room only will work behind the screen.

And don't even ask about the unexpected plumbing and romex behind that wall... wink.gif
post #5698 of 6133
And curious to know how many of you listen to music on your triad speakers? I really do not know much about them at all but from what I've heard they're the best movie speakers available. I have not heard much as far as music my room is dual-purpose as music is a big deal to me. I would be looking at the gold model in room speaker. I have a Sherborn seven channel amplifier. It puts out 550 watch a channel all channels driven at 4 ohms
post #5699 of 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

And curious to know how many of you listen to music on your triad speakers? I really do not know much about them at all but from what I've heard they're the best movie speakers available. I have not heard much as far as music my room is dual-purpose as music is a big deal to me. I would be looking at the gold model in room speaker. I have a Sherborn seven channel amplifier. It puts out 550 watch a channel all channels driven at 4 ohms

One of the locals in LA, IvanPino, has a set of Gold LCRs in room for the LCR and silver LCRs for surrounds. Both music and movies sound incredible on them!
post #5700 of 6133
Ok. I thought I heard somewhere in Northern Oregon was a Triad shop. Is that incorrect info?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Triad Owner's Thread