or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › eD Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

eD Owner's Thread - Page 70

post #2071 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post

I am looking for a L/C/R of the ed12 cinemas as well! PM me if you are looking to unload them.

I actually got lucky and found someone back in September that was selling just one eD[c]12 so I was able to at least finish off my front sound stage. now it is on to trying to get a couple 6" ones for my surrounds or wides.
post #2072 of 2101
You can build a better version with kits. Better because of the waveguide and CD. The seos 12 deltalites kits would be better and even using a delta pro 12 would be better. My eD was similar but with an upgraded woofer as the SEOS 12 deltalites kit.
post #2073 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

You can build a better version with kits. Better because of the waveguide and CD. The seos 12 deltalites kits would be better and even using a delta pro 12 would be better. My eD was similar but with an upgraded woofer as the SEOS 12 deltalites kit.
Hmmm...... verrrrrry interesting. How difficult was the build?
post #2074 of 2101
post #2075 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

www.diysoundgroup.com
Thanks MK. I think I might abandon my search for the Cinemas and build my own. Now to find the best kit under 1K for the mains.
post #2076 of 2101
There are plenty, get the best driver you can so nothing less than a delta pro 12. Delta lite is next and then the kappa lite 3012HO. There are always JBL and other drivers as well. I would bet that seos 12 deltalites kit would be superior to the eD cinema 12z
post #2077 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

There are plenty, get the best driver you can so nothing less than a delta pro 12. Delta lite is next and then the kappa lite 3012HO. There are always JBL and other drivers as well. I would bet that seos 12 deltalites kit would be superior to the eD cinema 12z

Agreed.
post #2078 of 2101
Compared to the stock eD speaker the SEOS 12 has a better CD, a better waveguide, and a better driver. My upgraded eD had the DE-250 and kappa lite 3012HO driver. So the SEOS 12 delta lite kit would have an equal CD, a better waveguide, and a lesser driver. I bet the crossover in the kit is better too. Just a guess though as my eD speaker was great.
post #2079 of 2101
Sad to see this company go under. I was looking to outfit a new basement AV room saw the website was shutdown.

Did any other company acquire them?
post #2080 of 2101
I posted this elsewhere, but perhaps this thread is a better place, even if it's been dead for 8 months...

I have a 5.1 Elemental Designs system (A6-6T6 Floor Speakers, A6-6T6 MTM Center, A3-5Tc's for surround, and A7S-450 subwoofer). The tweeter on the A6-6T6 MTM Center has stopped working. Testing with a multimeter shows it has infinite resistance, and there does appear to be AC voltage going to the tweeter, so I'm fairly confident a dead tweeter is the problem.

I'm having a hard time finding a replacement, since eD went out of business last year. It's a "1.3” O-635.R silk dome tweeter" according to eD. It measures 4.5" in total diameter, with the driver itself indeed being 1.3". I'm not sure of what the tweeter's resistance should be, and I'm having a hard time finding a tweeter that's got a housing diameter of 4.5" so it fits in the same spot.

If anyone happens to know the manufacturer of these tweeters, I'd be extremely grateful. Otherwise, I'd love recommendations on a suitable replacement tweeter.







Thank you so much!
Rich
post #2081 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorterthanrich View Post

I posted this elsewhere, but perhaps this thread is a better place, even if it's been dead for 8 months...

I have a 5.1 Elemental Designs system (A6-6T6 Floor Speakers, A6-6T6 MTM Center, A3-5Tc's for surround, and A7S-450 subwoofer). The tweeter on the A6-6T6 MTM Center has stopped working. Testing with a multimeter shows it has infinite resistance, and there does appear to be AC voltage going to the tweeter, so I'm fairly confident a dead tweeter is the problem.

I'm having a hard time finding a replacement, since eD went out of business last year. It's a "1.3” O-635.R silk dome tweeter" according to eD. It measures 4.5" in total diameter, with the driver itself indeed being 1.3". I'm not sure of what the tweeter's resistance should be, and I'm having a hard time finding a tweeter that's got a housing diameter of 4.5" so it fits in the same spot.

If anyone happens to know the manufacturer of these tweeters, I'd be extremely grateful. Otherwise, I'd love recommendations on a suitable replacement tweeter.







Thank you so much!
Rich

Measure impedance from one of the other tweeters? Maybe someone will post for a replacement option cause I've no idea. I do know they are car audio speakers which may help. I've the tower 6T6 front setup and 5tc surrounds. Though they are now replaced with Chase SHO-10's, I'm giving them to a friend. They are a great sounding setup and were hard to replace for the performance. Just awesome bargain 3way towers, and the center is a monster.
post #2082 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by autox320 View Post

Measure impedance from one of the other tweeters? Maybe someone will post for a replacement option cause I've no idea. I do know they are car audio speakers which may help. I've the tower 6T6 front setup and 5tc surrounds. Though they are now replaced with Chase SHO-10's, I'm giving them to a friend. They are a great sounding setup and were hard to replace for the performance. Just awesome bargain 3way towers, and the center is a monster.

Yeah, the tweeters on the towers appear completely different unfortunately, so there's no way to be sure they're the same resistance :-/

I'm hopeful someone will be able to help!
post #2083 of 2101
ED sourced some of their drivers, notably in their subs, from some obscure place in the Philipines. One thing you can try is to post the pictures over at the PartsExpress forum and maybe Madisound. Maybe someone might recognize the tweeter or give more insight.
post #2084 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

ED sourced some of their drivers, notably in their subs, from some obscure place in the Philipines. One thing you can try is to post the pictures over at the PartsExpress forum and maybe Madisound. Maybe someone might recognize the tweeter or give more insight.

Awesome idea, thank you! I didn't even realize that they had a forum.
post #2085 of 2101
So, I looked into it a bit, and found this old Acoustic Research 6ohm 1" tweeter. It's a tiny bit smaller than the eD tweeter, but the faceplate is about the same size, so it should fit in easily without major modification. It's a bit higher wattage than what I need, but I figured for $25 it's worth a try for the convenience.

If it doesn't work I'll make one of these fit: Dayton ND28F or HiVi Q1R

Thanks for your help and suggestions! I'll let you all know how it works out in case any of you run into similar problems in the future.

Rich
post #2086 of 2101
I'm curious as to what you guys think a 5 set of the ED Cinema 12's would go for used. I'm considering trying to sell off my set as they are just HUGE! They have the upgraded finish and the compression driver ...

These have been a great set although in my room there's a noticeable lack of midbass ... My room sucks the life out of bass though. The compression driver center highs are the best I've had for dialog. Just unobtrusive and it's clear.
post #2087 of 2101
Looking foreward to reading this thread, I would love to hear some info on the towers. jUCq
post #2088 of 2101
You do know ED is out of business having stiffed many people out of their deposits and payments, right.. Make sure that you know what drivers are used in those speakers to determine if possible replacements are available.
post #2089 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

You do know ED is out of business having stiffed many people out of their deposits and payments, right.. Make sure that you know what drivers are used in those speakers to determine if possible replacements are available.

Chu,

Thanks for the input... Yes, I'm aware they went under. I may have gotten the last pairs of Cinema 12's before eD disappeared. If not the last , it was close to it. I'm just trying to gauge what the market price would be if I was trying to sell them. I'm not looking to replace/repair any of the components in them.

BTW, I've skulked on these forums for a while, and wanted to say I appreciate all the work/research you did in regards to the AV123/eD debacles.
post #2090 of 2101
I sold my front 3 Cinema 12's last fall for 600. I may have been able to get a bit more, but I sold to a friend and was just wanting to unload them since I bought some new speakers. I really did like them a lot and thought they were a great speaker for the price.
post #2091 of 2101
I still have carps set in basement storage. They are very nice speakers for the money! The JTR 228 I'm using now best the eD speakers significantly, but command a higher purchase price. For the price the eD originally sold for and the price used they remain a solid value. I too think the best trait of the eD was movie dialogue clarity.
post #2092 of 2101
Should I keep my five new eD[6]c or sell them? I've been waiting to move into our new house to open them up and use them, but I've got the itch to go a different route now. I was thinking about going for the JBL cinema series. Any thoughts?

Here are the specs on the eD[6]c:
Max Power Handling 350 Watts
Minimum Power Input 4 Watts
Nominal System Resistance 8 Ohm
Tweeter Size VC diameter: 1.7" Throat: 1"
Tweeter Type Horn Loaded Compression Driver
Horn Nominal Dispersion 90° H x 90° V
Crossover Model eD[6]c.BR
Woofer Size 6.5"
Woofer Material Paper
Number of Woofer Drivers 1
Cabinet Type Front Ported
Weight 12lb each
Frequency Response
System Sensitivity 93 dB
Height 15"
Width 8.5"
Depth 10"
Edited by asoofi1 - 11/13/13 at 6:04am
post #2093 of 2101
How much could you get out of them?
post #2094 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

How much could you get out of them?

As far as value, I had gotten offers around $250 per speaker several months back. But they are rare collectibles now, so who knows wink.gif
post #2095 of 2101
Does that make their subs collectible too? They're no longer made and are gradually dying off making them rare. I look at them more like orphans and generally speaking, they become less desireable as they get older. They weren't made for very long and that by a company that stiffed a lot of people/ But if you can sit on them, maybe someone will want them badly enough to pay more.
post #2096 of 2101
They are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for unavailable & new eD speakers/subs.

Please feel free to answer my original question a few posts back, which is not regarding pricing/orphans/bankruptcy/etc and does not effect the performance of the speakers.
post #2097 of 2101
You want me to tell you whether you should stick with the ED speakers which are brand new in the box or go with some JBL's for a HT setup in a house that you've yet to move in to because you've got some itch to go in a different direction. What if you get another itch? Me, if they're not messed up, I'd set them up and live with them for a while. If they meet your needs then move on to something else. Some times, as in sports, the best trades are the ones you didn't make.
post #2098 of 2101
So, I have an ED LT-550 which has given me no issues for the last 5 years. The amp seems to have just gone out as it now only hums with no sound coming from the sub. I know the company is out of business, but is there anyone who knows of an option to repair the amp? Or should I just buy a new sub...
post #2099 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghengisk78 View Post

So, I have an ED LT-550 which has given me no issues for the last 5 years. The amp seems to have just gone out as it now only hums with no sound coming from the sub. I know the company is out of business, but is there anyone who knows of an option to repair the amp? Or should I just buy a new sub...

If you end up needing a replacement plate amp the YUNG plate amps on partsexpress work very well. They should be coming up cheap with black friday around the corner (last year $99 for 500wRMS@4ohms approx $60 for 300wRMS@4ohms)

Not sure on sizing if they direct fit.
post #2100 of 2101
Yes it was an unfortunate event. I'l post in here those bashing should just keep to bashing the company itself. Even then I think AVS has enough bad talk archived in this thread alone to back up how horrible it was especially the ending of eD robbing peoples money as the doors shut.

The gear was and still is great.

Sell away and good luck with the sales. I've given my bro n law a full set of 6T6 towers(2010 model with nicer grills), 6T6center, a2-300 sub and 5tc surrounds to replace his axiomM60 setup. He tells me all the time how awesome it is. Another buddy still rocks the full 5" mtm, a2-300 sub setup without issue 4yrs later.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › eD Owner's Thread