or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › eD Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

eD Owner's Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 2101
I just purchased three 6T6 for LCR and two Swan Diva bipolar surrounds. These will replace my Klipsch THX Ultra II speakers. I'm driving them with an Onkyo 805 and have an Hsu VTF3 MKII sub.

I sold the Klipsch because they are overkill for my setup. The room is an open design and most of the listening is done at very low levels to not disturb the kids, wife, etc. Plus, with a baby on the way, I doubt I'll be crankin anything up now that I no longer have a dedicated room.

based upon reading this and other eD threads, it sounds like the 6T6 would be a nice replacement. The klipsch were not particularly bright and imaged well. At near reference levels they are outstanding. Unfortunately, it's rare to gothere at 10pm when the kids are asleep.

For the money, total of around $750 (approx 1/3 of the Klipsch resell value), I don't think it is a bad decision.

I'll post my thoughts on the switch next week. Going from PSB Image 6T, 9C, and surrounds to the Klipsch THX was a big change (Klipsch were more dynamic and have less brightness). Maybe these will compete with the PSB performance.
post #212 of 2101
My 6t6 center channel just registered as delivered on the fedex tracking. I'm looking forward to getting home and setting it up. Now February has to get here for my towers, and A3-300.
post #213 of 2101
Just found this thread. Also as a proud owner of eD gear as well i thought i would post some pics of my setup. No pics of the surrounds as i need to get some speaker stands that will hold the Beefy 5T5 MTM's.

Speakers:
Mains: Elemental Designs A6-6T6 Towers
Center: Elemental Designs A6-6T6 MTM
Surrounds: Elemental Designs A6-5T5 MTM's
Sub: Elemental Designs A2-300

Gear:
Westinghouse 42" TX-42F430S
Harmon/Kardon AVR 247
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR (HDMI/Toslink)
PlayStation 3 60GB (HDMI)
Xbox 360 Elite w/Add-On (HDMI)
Nintendo Wii (Component)
post #214 of 2101
I am keeping my old rears for now (B&W Solids -- I really like how they mount to the wall).

But I ordered the following today -- should be a great upgrade. Really looking forward to it.

1 x A6 - 6T6 - MTM Single
1 x A6 - 6T6 - Tower Pair
1 x A5 - 350 Subwoofer
- Foot Style: Hourglass
- Amplifier: LT/550

The wait begins ... although the center shipped, so at least I can play with that.
post #215 of 2101
You're going to love it! Congrats!

Tom
post #216 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post

I am keeping my old rears for now (B&W Solids -- I really like how they mount to the wall).

But I ordered the following today -- should be a great upgrade. Really looking forward to it.

1 x A6 - 6T6 - MTM Single
1 x A6 - 6T6 - Tower Pair
1 x A5 - 350 Subwoofer
- Foot Style: Hourglass
- Amplifier: LT/550

The wait begins ... although the center shipped, so at least I can play with that.

Congrats. Those Towers and that Center sound AMAZING!!! I can't believe the product I received for such low money.
post #217 of 2101
Well the 6T6 MTM is pretty nice. Got it set up yesterday. Problem is that it doesn't fit in my current stand (which was designed for a smaller CRT than the 60" SXRD I have now anyway). Does anyone know if the MTM will fit in this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Searc...1#availability

Thanks.
post #218 of 2101
Just got my 6T6 front three (all LCR) and cranked one up in comparison with my old Philips MTM 7"--it sounds great--very little timbre difference (I really couldn't tell any). Clean, clear, powerful! Very happy with my eD purchase so far!!!
post #219 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdee View Post

Well the 6T6 MTM is pretty nice. Got it set up yesterday. Problem is that it doesn't fit in my current stand (which was designed for a smaller CRT than the 60" SXRD I have now anyway). Does anyone know if the MTM will fit in this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Searc...1#availability

Thanks.

I have a KDS-R60XBR1 and am using a OmniMount CCH1B Center Channel Speaker Shelf (bought at Amazon... black, but it also comes in silver) to hold my A6-6T6 MTM center channel speaker. I read about it in the XBR1 thread. It seems to work well and is very unobtrusive. I went with the suggestion of installing it upside down. Here's a LINK to the Omnimount hits on the XBR1 thread.

added: one of the main reasons I went with it is that it allows placement of the center on top of the screen.
post #220 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

I have a KDS-R60XBR1 and am using a OmniMount CCH1B Center Channel Speaker Shelf (bought at Amazon... black, but it also comes in silver) to hold my A6-6T6 MTM center channel speaker. I read about it in the XBR1 thread. It seems to work well and is very unobtrusive. I went with the suggestion of installing it upside down. Here's a LINK to the Omnimount hits on the XBR1 thread.

added: one of the main reasons I went with it is that it allows placement of the center on top of the screen.


Man I'd be scared to put the 6t6 on top of my TV (I have a 60A3000). The speaker is pretty heavy and I'd be afraid that it would warp the screen. You haven't had any problems?
post #221 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdee View Post

Well the 6T6 MTM is pretty nice. Got it set up yesterday. Problem is that it doesn't fit in my current stand (which was designed for a smaller CRT than the 60" SXRD I have now anyway). Does anyone know if the MTM will fit in this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Searc...1#availability

Thanks.

I ordered the 6T6 towers, 6T6 center and 5T5 surrounds. Unfortunately, I miscalculated somewhere along the line and the 6T6 center didn't fit in my stand either. I returned it for another single 5T5.

After doing the auto calibration with a microphone and my Denon 3808ci receiver everything sounds fantastic. (Incidentally, the receiver setup has my center and surround speakers as small and my fronts as large.) Of course, this is my first surround sound setup so it is obviously a huge upgrade from just using my TV speakers. I am now just waiting for the A5-350 to round things out.
post #222 of 2101
Can someone tell me if they think going to ED's eD A6 - 6T6 Towers, one of their 6T6 centers would be better then a BIC DV62CLR Center Channel (with the EFE gold modification) & Athena AS-F2 fronts? I am looking to replace my entire front soundstage with something a little more "dynamic" and "louder" for dialog and ED looks like a good choice in my price range. I am just affraid it is not going to be much of an improvement over what I already have.

Thanks guys!
post #223 of 2101
jmalto--you probably know this, but it is not usually a good idea to mix your front soundstage with different speakers (especially different manufacturors). The timbre will be different and you'll be able to tell a that difference in the front. Mix-matching between fronts and rears has been much less of an issue, but still not recommended. I don't have any experience with the Athenas or the BIC, but I do really like my buddy's 6T6s. They sound very clear and have strong mid-bass that isn't coloring or muddy. I haven't totally cranked them yet, but they appear to be very able speakers with a pleasing combination of sound qualities. FWIW...
post #224 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by allredp View Post

jmalto--you probably know this, but it is not usually a good idea to mix your front soundstage with different speakers (especially different manufacturors). The timbre will be different and you'll be able to tell a that difference in the front. Mix-matching between fronts and rears has been much less of an issue, but still not recommended. I don't have any experience with the Athenas or the BIC, but I do really like my buddy's 6T6s. They sound very clear and have strong mid-bass that isn't coloring or muddy. I haven't totally cranked them yet, but they appear to be very able speakers with a pleasing combination of sound qualities. FWIW...

Yeah, I am aware of mixing and matching speakers, but I absolutely hated the Athena center channel. It is very lacking and the BIC is better once it has been modified (IMO.) The Athena's are hard to beat for the price, so I don't want to upgrade and not benefit from it at all.
post #225 of 2101
Hi guys after a lot of thought and reading all these reviews I am going to get the HT system from eD.

Im on budget and made some package within my limit. Im trying to stay between $600-750 for now and as time passes i will keep adding.

1st option:
6T6 MTM pair
A3-250 sub

2nd option:
5T5 MTM pair
5T5 center
A3 250 sub

3rd option:
6T6 tower
A3 250 sub

4th option
6T6 MTM pair
5T5 MTM center
A3 250 su

my room is about 22'x14'x8'. As i mentioned i will be adding speakers in future. I also wanted to know how much the 6T6 and the 5T5 differs.

thanks guys, waiting for some inputs.
post #226 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by xblindx View Post

Hi guys after a lot of thought and reading all these reviews I am going to get the HT system from eD.

Im on budget and made some package within my limit. Im trying to stay between $600-750 for now and as time passes i will keep adding.

1st option:
6T6 MTM pair
A3-250 sub

2nd option:
5T5 MTM pair
5T5 center
A3 250 sub

3rd option:
6T6 tower
A3 250 sub

4th option
6T6 MTM pair
5T5 MTM center
A3 250 su

my room is about 22'x14'x8'. As i mentioned i will be adding speakers in future. I also wanted to know how much the 6T6 and the 5T5 differs.

thanks guys, waiting for some inputs.

Hi. My first recommendation is to call and talk it over with ED (you'll most likely talk to Chris). Especially since they are very strongly recommending the -300 vrs the -250 subs. While they are in the business of selling
If it were me, I would get the A6 Towers and the A3-300 if that fits your budget, the A2-300 if you need to pinch $.
post #227 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

Hi. My first recommendation is to call and talk it over with ED (you'll most likely talk to Chris). Especially since they are very strongly recommending the -300 vrs the -250 subs. While they are in the business of selling
If it were me, I would get the A6 Towers and the A3-300 if that fits your budget, the A2-300 if you need to pinch $.



thanks Grubavs
I will call ED tomorrow.

im on a tight budget now sincne my school has started. as a starter i wanted to purchase a 2.1 or 3.1 system then in future i will get the tower and put the fronts as surrounds.

5T5 MTM pair
5T5 MTM center
and A3-300 sub

that would be another choice.. since i have a bose 321 now any option above and i will be happy.
post #228 of 2101
I also need to buy a receiver too
post #229 of 2101
My opinion - buy stuff you will not upgrade again. So, if it were me, I'd get the 6T6 Towers and 6T6 MTM for center for $590 and then piece together a sub (cheap, or used, pawn shop, ebay, etc). When you get the money, buy a good sub, like the A5-350. Use the speakers you have for the surrounds and then upgrade those as you go along. Focus on your front stage. The towers and a used power sub will perform great up front in a 3.1 setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblindx View Post

Hi guys after a lot of thought and reading all these reviews I am going to get the HT system from eD.

Im on budget and made some package within my limit. Im trying to stay between $600-750 for now and as time passes i will keep adding.

1st option:
6T6 MTM pair
A3-250 sub

2nd option:
5T5 MTM pair
5T5 center
A3 250 sub

3rd option:
6T6 tower
A3 250 sub

4th option
6T6 MTM pair
5T5 MTM center
A3 250 su

my room is about 22'x14'x8'. As i mentioned i will be adding speakers in future. I also wanted to know how much the 6T6 and the 5T5 differs.

thanks guys, waiting for some inputs.
post #230 of 2101
Not sure how much you want to spend, but you might want to consider ShopOnkyo.com for a refurbished unit. A refurbished 605 ($399), 705 ($499), or 805 ($599) are all solid. They are hard to get and typically out of stock, but it's a good deal when you can get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblindx View Post

I also need to buy a receiver too
post #231 of 2101
Cool color walls! Hook'em Horns!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layd Dly View Post

Just found this thread. Also as a proud owner of eD gear as well i thought i would post some pics of my setup. No pics of the surrounds as i need to get some speaker stands that will hold the Beefy 5T5 MTM's.

Speakers:
Mains: Elemental Designs A6-6T6 Towers
Center: Elemental Designs A6-6T6 MTM
Surrounds: Elemental Designs A6-5T5 MTM's
Sub: Elemental Designs A2-300

Gear:
Westinghouse 42" TX-42F430S
Harmon/Kardon AVR 247
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR (HDMI/Toslink)
PlayStation 3 60GB (HDMI)
Xbox 360 Elite w/Add-On (HDMI)
Nintendo Wii (Component)
post #232 of 2101
Layd Dly

How are you liking the A2-300 sub with your towers
post #233 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by xblindx View Post

Layd Dly

How are you liking the A2-300 sub with your towers


I think its great, i need better placement for it (need to run wires for it). Its louder in the stair well behind than it is on my couch. But it still way loud and shakes my house plenty.
post #234 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by xblindx View Post

thanks Grubavs
I will call ED tomorrow.

im on a tight budget now sincne my school has started. as a starter i wanted to purchase a 2.1 or 3.1 system then in future i will get the tower and put the fronts as surrounds.

5T5 MTM pair
5T5 MTM center
and A3-300 sub

that would be another choice.. since i have a bose 321 now any option above and i will be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblindx View Post

I also need to buy a receiver too

That's a good idea. This way you'll get a package deal on the sub (saves BIG$) and MTMs. Later (if you decide to get adventurous ) you could get a package deal on the A6 Towers and an A6 MTM center and have a 6.1 set-up.

I definitely agree with the others' statements about going for the best you can, and also about Onkyo. I have an 805 with no regrets, and many folks have spoken well of the 605 & 705.
post #235 of 2101
Just a thought....

Since everybody says most of eD's speakers are on back order at the moment, you could find out about how long that will be for, and keep saving your money so you can get yourself a nice 3.1 from them. Meaning 6T6 towers, 6T6 center, and the sub of your choice when you can afford it.

Tom
post #236 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post

Just a thought....

Since everybody says most of eD's speakers are on back order at the moment, you could find out about how long that will be for, and keep saving your money so you can get yourself a nice 3.1 from them. Meaning 6T6 towers, 6T6 center, and the sub of your choice when you can afford it.

Tom

And since they don't charge 'till shipment on speakers (they charge for subs when committed to the woodshop, I think, but the speakers are made by somebody else), he could go ahead and order them and do your idea about saving the money during the wait...
post #237 of 2101
I was under the opinion that these were mad in the US. The 6t6 MTM that I received today are made in the philippines
post #238 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

That's a good idea. This way you'll get a package deal on the sub (saves BIG$) and MTMs. Later (if you decide to get adventurous ) you could get a package deal on the A6 Towers and an A6 MTM center and have a 6.1 set-up.

I definitely agree with the others' statements about going for the best you can, and also about Onkyo. I have an 805 with no regrets, and many folks have spoken well of the 605 & 705.


with all the options and price I have decided to go with the onkyo 705. since most of my equipment will be connected with HDMI cable.

and let me see how i can arrange the money for now that way i will set my according to 3.1 2.1 or 3.0 for now. but sonner or later i will have the towers

and for my room which is 24x14x9 i think the a2 300 or the a3 300 would be good bass
post #239 of 2101
ok i purchased the 705 from vanns
post #240 of 2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by xblindx View Post

ok i purchased the 705 from vanns

I like a person who decides and then takes action! Congrats!! Now, go immediately to the 705 owners' thread and read the first post (FAQ). Then, when you get the 705, read it again, and set up the 705 by the book!!! You'll be glad you did.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › eD Owner's Thread