or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › **Official Toshiba HD-A35 (ONLY) Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Official Toshiba HD-A35 (ONLY) Thread** - Page 6

post #151 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

First off, congratulations.

I personally have not heard about an extended warranty. If there was one available, I probably wouldn't go for it. I have a tendency to upgrade soon after a warranty expires. Much to my wife's chagrin.

Yeah was looking for a secondary place to just buy one for piece of mind.
post #152 of 4877
Are there any special tweaks like putting speakers at large, etc...to get the most out of the HDMI audio on the A35 (I know the XA2 has some issues like this)? I am using bitstream out of the A35 to my 885 pre/pro dynamic range control off as well as the other option for SQ off. Do any of the speaker settings in the A35 have any affect on the HDMI audio (they should not obviously, but who knows) and if so, what are the correct settings when using HBR bitstream over HDMI to get the max out of the sound?
post #153 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by nydennis View Post

Yeah was looking for a secondary place to just buy one for piece of mind.

Check out www.squaretrade.com. I bought three year warranties for my Garvin 650 GPS and Onkyo TX-SR875 receiver from them. I can't be sure how good they are at this point as I haven't had to use their service, but they were recommended by a highly rated (100% positive feedback) eBay store.
post #154 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Thank you for your kind words.

The Bourne Identity is a little grainy. HT magazine gave it a 4 out of 5 for PQ. Transformers is pretty darn good. There is some grain in the night scenes. I didn't see the theatrical release (4 year old son), so I can't compare it to it. However, I have heard from more than several members that there was some grain in the theatrical release in the dark scenes, so we got what was originally presented. I would certainly give it at least 4.5 out of 5 stars for PQ.

When the family first watched it, the closing credits started, I paused my 35 and said to my wife "This is why HD DVD was invented."
Definitely demo/showcase material, IMHO...Will


Why are they so grainy? Whether Blu ray or HD on a 1080p screen. I have a $1200 1080p lcd Westinghouse and a $5000 LG 1080p plasma but no difference in terms of grainyness. Transformer was great, not so grainy but I think it is because a lot of cgi were involved. When they made Ultraviolet on Blu ray, they always make it a demo disc where ever dealer you go because they obviously cgi'ed Mila's face on most scenes and so it looks a million bucks! Is it because of the original source of 35mm film movies are shot in and then remastered to digital or something else? Sorry, definitely a noob here but very interesting. Or is it because we are so used to SD that everything is "blurred out"? But when you watch Directv 1080i or 720p Discovery Channels programs, there is no grainyness.

As far as saying to my wife "this is why HD DVD was invented"...if I had said that to my wife (not that she would watch that movie with me anyways), she would have rolled her eyes. But she does definitely appreciate the difference in high def. I mean who wouldn't.

By the way, what does the audio option in the A35 direct digital audio out mean? Not the same as bitstream? And if I wanted to connect to my denon 4308ci via HDMI for bitstream, can I still connect the optical audio out to the same receiver (for zone 4 out to another room surround)? How do I change the output on the A35? Do I have to turn it off and on each time? Because one thing about A35 is the load time that bugs me a bit...my BDP1400 ain't that much better either...actually, xbox HD DVD and PS3 superior here I think.
THANKS
post #155 of 4877
A lot of Discovery's HD programming is shot with HD video cameras, and isn't telecined film, so graininess from a film source isn't a factor there.
post #156 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Are there any special tweaks like putting speakers at large, etc...to get the most out of the HDMI audio on the A35 (I know the XA2 has some issues like this)? I am using bitstream out of the A35 to my 885 pre/pro dynamic range control off as well as the other option for SQ off. Do any of the speaker settings in the A35 have any affect on the HDMI audio (they should not obviously, but who knows) and if so, what are the correct settings when using HBR bitstream over HDMI to get the max out of the sound?

You are correct, the 5.1 setttings on the A35 have no effect over HDMI, they are used only when analog connections are used.

The only 'tweak' I'm aware of is to make sure 'digital direct audio mode' is on. I was bitten by that snake, since I rarely read or should I say, rarely pay attention properly to the owner's manual. I thought DDA was just another stupid, useless processing technique, like dialog enhancement or dynamic range control that would futz up the audio. Wrong, I was! No DDA, no HBR.

Regards...Will
post #157 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsunderI View Post

By the way, what does the audio option in the A35 direct digital audio out mean? Not the same as bitstream? And if I wanted to connect to my denon 4308ci via HDMI for bitstream, can I still connect the optical audio out to the same receiver (for zone 4 out to another room surround)? How do I change the output on the A35? Do I have to turn it off and on each time? Because one thing about A35 is the load time that bugs me a bit...my BDP1400 ain't that much better either...actually, xbox HD DVD and PS3 superior here I think.
THANKS

I haven't really experimented with turning DDA off and putting in a SD DVD to see if the 35 would still bitstream Dolby Digital or not. I do know, as I stated in the previous post, that if you don't turn it on, DD+, THD and DTS HD (MA???) won't bitstream. I'll have to check it out.

As far as feeding digital audio and HDMI at the same time, I haven't tried that, either.

No experimentation plus limited access to my favorite board for two days. 'She who must be obeyed' took today and tomorrow off. She totally supports and enjoys my hobby (obsession) with me. However, she hates it when I whip out an SPL meter and start tweaking stuff. I always get the "For once, can't we just sit down and enjoy a movie?"

You know, smarter words were probably never uttered. But we can't stop tweaking, can we guys? Its genetic...Will
post #158 of 4877
I am looking for a hd dvd player. My current receiver is a denon avr-3802.
Do I need to buy a new receiver to enjoy tru-hd sound from hd dvd's?
Best buy salesman told me if I purchase Toshiba hd a35 i do not need to update my receiver. He says toshiba dvd player decodes tru hd signal and sents it to any amplifier.
I am confused, any ideas welcomed and requested.
I need ideas on a new receiver if needed up to about $1200 I'll spend
post #159 of 4877
If your Denon does not have HDMI, the A-35 has 5.1 analog outputs. You will be able to hear Dolby TrueHD in all of it's glory. It's not very often that a salesperson tells the truth. All you will have to do is get 6 RCA connectors (you can get a 6 connector bundle but you don't have to) connect the outs on the 35 to the ins on your Denon, set all of the 5.1 options (crossover, speaker type, etc) and you are good to go, my friend.

Enjoy...Will

P.S. Then use the $1200 you were going to spend on a receiver and buy $1200 worth of HD DVDs! :-)
post #160 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

The only 'tweak' I'm aware of is to make sure 'digital direct audio mode' is on. I was bitten by that snake, since I rarely read or should I say, rarely pay attention properly to the owner's manual. I thought DDA was just another stupid, useless processing technique, like dialog enhancement or dynamic range control that would futz up the audio. Wrong, I was! No DDA, no HBR.

Regards...Will


Vey good to know! My A35 is being delivered today, I am ready.
post #161 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

You are correct, the 5.1 setttings on the A35 have no effect over HDMI, they are used only when analog connections are used.

The only 'tweak' I'm aware of is to make sure 'digital direct audio mode' is on. I was bitten by that snake, since I rarely read or should I say, rarely pay attention properly to the owner's manual. I thought DDA was just another stupid, useless processing technique, like dialog enhancement or dynamic range control that would futz up the audio. Wrong, I was! No DDA, no HBR.

Regards...Will

Thanks Will! I made that mistake at first as well
post #162 of 4877
Hi Will. If you change your Spdif output from bitstream to PCM and then have the player decode and send MCH PCM over HDMI does the frequency change on the AVR display from 48 to 96khz and back depending on the Spdif setting? This quirky behavior is present on the XA2 and I was just wondering.
post #163 of 4877
mrgribbles,

Out of habit, since the A2 exhibited the same quirk that the XA2 does, I set it that way, as well. If SWMBO allows, I will check to see if that still occurs with the A35. Regards...Will
post #164 of 4877
mrgribbles and everyone with an Onkyo (or perhaps other brand receivers)

I just did a little experiment with the 35 to see if it had the little quirk that G2 machines had. If you set SPDIF to bitstream, your LPCM sample rate dropped to 48khz. If you changed SPDIF to PCM, it would be what it is supposed to be for THD...96khz.

Now, as I said, after mrgribbles brought it up, I figured I should test it. First,
SPDIF at bitstream. Sure enough: 48khz. Now here is the fly in the ointment. When I set SPDIF back to PCM and rechecked, the sample rate was STILL 48khz!!

When I went back to the 'old way' of doing things, ie, incorporating LPCM, my Onkyo showed 96khz. I really hope this is a bug with the Onkyo. For two weeks, I allegedly have been enjoying 48khz audio sample rate. If other Onkyo owners along with others with HDMI 1.3a receivers that own an A35 could check this out and report in, I would greatly appreicate it. I got more testing to do...Will
post #165 of 4877
Ok,

So far, I have tested 8 THD disks and have the same results...48khz for THD. I am currently on hold with Toshiba. Unfortunately, this guy isn't even aware of the G2 issue and workaround that I mentioned in my previous post. He has me on hold to allegedly get a senior engineer on the phone. I will update everyone once I get an answer. Regards...Will
post #166 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

mrgribbles and everyone with an Onkyo (or perhaps other brand receivers)

I just did a little experiment with the 35 to see if it had the little quirk that G2 machines had. If you set SPDIF to bitstream, your LPCM resolution dropped to 48khz. If you changed SPDIF to PCM, it would be what it is supposed to be for THD...96khz.

Now, as I said, after mrgribbles brought it up, I figured I should test it. First,
SPDIF at bitstream. Sure enough: 48khz. Now here is the fly in the ointment. When I set SPDIF back to PCM and rechecked, the resolution was STILL 48khz!!

When I went back to the 'old way' of doing things, ie, incorporating LPCM, my Onkyo showed 96khz. I really hope this is a bug with the Onkyo. For two weeks, I allegedly have been enjoying 48khz audio resolution. If other Onkyo owners along with others with Denons, Yammys, etc that own an A35 could check this out and report in, I would greatly appreicate it. I got more testing to do...Will

Aha!! So if I read you correctly: Changing Spdif does affect the HDMI frequency. I believe this to be a bug in the players and it also implies that Toshiba's handling of in player decoding to LPCM may be colored. The circuit diagrams for the XA2 show the decoded material entering and exiting the Sparc DSP. The material then goes direct to the DACs and off of the same lines, via junction, to HDMI. If this is the case, then bass management is being applied to analog output, as it should and it is also applied to MCH PCM over HDMI as perhaps it shouldn't.

I did some limited experimenting the other nite with this and Transformers and I set speakers to large/small etc. using MCH PCM, and things change. They shouldn't, should they? I'll have to pop in my HD DVE disk and try this but at this point, I believe the Tosh XA2 and your A35 have a MCH PCM issue. More as time goes on.

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

edit: I think its supposed to be 48khz not 96khz at this point. I believe I read in here somewhere that HD is all 48.
post #167 of 4877
Of course, the CSR from Toshiba I spoke to didn't even really understand what I was talking about. He wasn't even aware of the G2 issue and the workaround for it. Whether or not this is true, I cannot say. He told me that according to his information, the A35 was SUPPOSED to output 48khz via bitstream! I am still hoping this is a bug in the Onkyo. Since this guy was clueless, I really don't have anything concrete to relay from them.

He assured me that this would be immediately escalated to Engineering Management. I told him that considering the consequences of this discovery, if true, is a huge problem. I told him I expected a call sooner as opposed to waiting days for a response. High Bitrate Audio...Hmmmm

I truly hope this is something I futzed up but I doubt it.
post #168 of 4877
Thread Starter 
So let me see if I understand this correctly - the HBR system actually feeds the digital audio signal through the A35's DSPs before sending it out to HDMI? Meaning, the analog audio settings (bass management) affects the digital HDMI audio output? I thought the HDMI HBR output was supposed to be "unchanged" in terms of the signal or sound signature (no analog setting effects) . . . I know I'm echoing what's above, but that seems like a pretty big design issue, if true - you'd need to coordinate the audio settings over HDMI to your receiver then?
post #169 of 4877
I'm not sure if they are connected. Mrgribbles will have a better handle on that. What I unfortunately discovered, at least with my rig, is that bitstream is sending a sample rate for THD of 48khz instead of 96. We are both conducting different tests now. If we can get as many members as possible to check what the sample rate of THD material is while using bitstream, the better. I'm sitting here like a moron, hoping it's just a bug in my Onkyo. Until we hear from some of you guys on this, it will be difficult to get our heads around.

I know most people are at work, so this is a pretty tough favor to ask. But if everyone that is using an A35 with a receiver that has 1.3a AND outputs via HDMI incorporating HBR could report what sample rates they are getting when the play a disk with Dolby TrueHD, the better.

I think I'm gonna get sick...Will
post #170 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLawren View Post

So let me see if I understand this correctly - the HBR system actually feeds the digital audio signal through the A35's DSPs before sending it out to HDMI? Meaning, the analog audio settings (bass management) affects the digital HDMI audio output? I thought the HDMI HBR output was supposed to be "unchanged" in terms of the signal or sound signature (no analog setting effects) . . . I know I'm echoing what's above, but that seems like a pretty big design issue, if true - you'd need to coordinate the audio settings over HDMI to your receiver then?

i don't know what the A35 does with HBR, I would hope nothing but transmit. What I'm discussing is in player decoded material being sent as MCH PCM to the AVR but i think Will is addressing some issues he has also found with HBR. Since my XA2 will not pass bitstream yet (!!!) I can't comment on that output from an XA2.
post #171 of 4877
I finally got in touch with someone at Toshiba who understands what I am saying. He's going to check further plus come to this thread to see what others are reporting in. Again, I hope this is just a firmware bug in my Onkyo. I know that some early models needed a firmware upgrade for bitstream issues. When I put my serial number in, the repsonse back from Onk was that my receiver was not one of the affected models. I'll definitely be posting more later. I am going to test every TrueHD disc I own now...Will
post #172 of 4877
Ok.

I finally got around to testing the actual question mrgribbles asked me to check and guess what? The G2 bug is definitely there on the G3s, along with the other issue I unfortunately discovered an hour ago.

SPDIF - PCM
HDMI - PCM
THD sample rate=96khz

SPDIF - Bitstream
HDMI - PCM
THD sample rate=48khz!!!

The hits just keep on coming. Why in the world does the SPDIF setting have anything to do with the HDMI audio sample rate? Are these two issues related? I'm going to keep messing around and see if I can't stumble upon a setting that will allow THD to be 96khz via HDMI bitstream.

Maybe if I turn the screensaver function on? That should do it, right?
post #173 of 4877
Could be the ethernet speed setting!!
post #174 of 4877
Does Bestbuy sell the hda35 ?

I couldn't find it on their website
post #175 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Maybe if I turn the screensaver function on? That should do it, right?

No, maybe you have to enhance you black levels first for it to work
post #176 of 4877
There have been some reports of local sightings, but nothing on line last I checked.

FYI, I have been watching the A35 pricing on Amazon, and it just dropped to $419. That is the best I have seen in the last few weeks.

I finally pulled the trigger as an upgrade to me A2.

Brian
post #177 of 4877
Well...I spoke to Onkyo. Of course they said the problem isn't on their end. I believe them, though. Now my wife wants to kill me because I keep testing material and I won't shut up about it.

I tried every audio combination possible. This one on, that one off, rinse and repeat. No change. I really want this figured out. It's a good thing that I have OCD...Will
post #178 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl262 View Post

I am looking for a hd dvd player. My current receiver is a denon avr-3802.
Do I need to buy a new receiver to enjoy tru-hd sound from hd dvd's?
Best buy salesman told me if I purchase Toshiba hd a35 i do not need to update my receiver. He says toshiba dvd player decodes tru hd signal and sents it to any amplifier.
I am confused, any ideas welcomed and requested.
I need ideas on a new receiver if needed up to about $1200 I'll spend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

If your Denon does not have HDMI, the A-35 has 5.1 analog outputs. You will be able to hear Dolby TrueHD in all of it's glory. It's not very often that a salesperson tells the truth. All you will have to do is get 6 RCA connectors (you can get a 6 connector bundle but you don't have to) connect the outs on the 35 to the ins on your Denon, set all of the 5.1 options (crossover, speaker type, etc) and you are good to go, my friend.

Enjoy...Will

P.S. Then use the $1200 you were going to spend on a receiver and buy $1200 worth of HD DVDs! :-)

I also have a DENON 3802. Right now I'm using the digital toslink out of the A35. Should I try the 5.1 analog outs? Is TrueHD that much better? That's a sizable investment for good cables.

Thanks.
post #179 of 4877
I just received my A35 an hour aho and finished the firmware update and have transformers in. I run an Integra 9.8. If somebody can lay out what they would like me to test and hwere I would see the answers, I would be more than happy to report back.
post #180 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Ok.

I finally got around to testing the actual question mrgribbles asked me to check and guess what? The G2 bug is definitely there on the G3s, along with the other issue I unfortunately discovered an hour ago.

SPDIF - PCM
HDMI - PCM
THD sample rate=96khz

SPDIF - Bitstream
HDMI - PCM
THD sample rate=48khz!!!

The hits just keep on coming. Why in the world does the SPDIF setting have anything to do with the HDMI audio sample rate? Are these two issues related? I'm going to keep messing around and see if I can't stumble upon a setting that will allow THD to be 96khz via HDMI bitstream.

Maybe if I turn the screensaver function on? That should do it, right?

Hi Will. I got the same as you. Selecting BITSTREAM outputs 48kHz regardless of any other setting. BTW: PCM/PCM at 96kHz sounds pretty darned good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › **Official Toshiba HD-A35 (ONLY) Thread**