or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › **Official Toshiba HD-A35 (ONLY) Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Official Toshiba HD-A35 (ONLY) Thread** - Page 157

post #4681 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

Yeah - maybe a drive issue also? Do you have another 3rd gen HD-DVD player (A3, D3, A30 or A35) that you could swap drives with to test out the theory?

I do have an A30 that has been working perfectly and I want to keep it that way for the main theater, the AVR in that room has HDMI for audio. The A35 was for the living room, connected to an older AVR that does not have HDMI and therefore the analog 5.1 would be used for the lossless sound tracks.

So is that the general consensus, third generation drives are interchangeable but not second generation? I have an A2 parts machine...
post #4682 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

I do have an A30 that has been working perfectly and I want to keep it that way for the main theater, the AVR in that room has HDMI for audio. The A35 was for the living room, connected to an older AVR that does not have HDMI and therefore the analog 5.1 would be used for the lossless sound tracks.

So is that the general consensus, third generation drives are interchangeable but not second generation? I have an A2 parts machine...

I can't speak from personal experience, because I haven't had to replace any drives yet, but I have read that the 3rd gen players all use the same model drive and can be swapped out OK, but the 2nd gen players use a different drive.
post #4683 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I bricked my A35 with a FW update (no idea why - all procedures properly followed etc) but I found a replacement on eBay, and then I bought an A30 as well that came bundled with a decent selection of discs. So I now have two backups for my 200 or so HD DVDs. My point is there still seems to be some around on eBay, at least here in the UK, and they are selling for fairly low prices, so all is not lost. I wouldn't feel comfortable without having a backup player though, just in case.

Kind Regards,

Keith

Yes - I also have a primary A35 in our home theater + a fairly large collection of HD-DVD titles. A few bargain priced 3rd gen players have found their way into our home to make sure I can play all those hd-dvd titles well into the future . . .
post #4684 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

So is that the general consensus, third generation drives are interchangeable but not second generation? I have an A2 parts machine...

The second generation players all have the same HD DVD drive and are interchangeable, and the third generation players all have the same drive and are also interchangeable. I don't think you can use a second generation drive in a third generation player, or vice versa.
post #4685 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking61 View Post

The second generation players all have the same HD DVD drive and are interchangeable, and the third generation players all have the same drive and are also interchangeable. I don't think you can use a second generation drive in a third generation player, or vice versa.

Not disputing your statement but curious as to where you located this information(?) because I may need to find a donor third generation machine if this is the case...

I may have to open all of the players I have and start recording the part numbers of the drives!
post #4686 of 4877
I have changed drives on both 2nd gen and 3rd gen players.

The 2nd gen players (A2, A20 and XA2) have the SD-E802A HD DVD drive.

The 3rd gen players (A3, A30 and A35) have the DAV-RB722 HD DVD drive.

Venturer 7000 also has the DAV-RB722 drive. It's more or less a rebadged A3 in a cheaper housing.
post #4687 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking61 View Post

I have changed drives on both 2nd gen and 3rd gen players.

The 2nd gen players (A2, A20 and XA2) have the SD-E802A HD DVD drive.

The 3rd gen players (A3, A30 and A35) have the DAV-RB722 HD DVD drive.

Venturer 7000 also has the DAV-RB722 drive. It's more or less a rebadged A3 in a cheaper housing.

Excellent, thanks!

I may have to swap the drive fromt my A30 to the A35 to see if it cures the picture freeze condition on my A35 mention a few posts above...
post #4688 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

Excellent, thanks!

I may have to swap the drive fromt my A30 to the A35 to see if it cures the picture freeze condition on my A35 mention a few posts above...

I think it will. If so, you should start looking for a non-functional player with anything but a drive related error. Look for a player with the Welcome bug. That is cause by an error on the mainboard, and the drive is most likely 100% ok.

I see there are 4 non-functional A3s for $28.33 (Buy now) with free shipping on the big auction site.
post #4689 of 4877
Alright now I'm really confused, Replugged player this morning and did pop a Music CD in and had great audio. With that test passed I retried HD disc "Pitch Black" and it fired right up and I am watching as I type. I checked specs and I do have the 4.0 update version.

Now I did unplug player a couple days ago when trouble started so it would reset etc and there was no change so I as usual don't have a clue.

Anyway It's working and I am glad I don't have to bury it or sell for parts which I would have done.
post #4690 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking61 View Post

I think it will. If so, you should start looking for a non-functional player with anything but a drive related error. Look for a player with the Welcome bug. That is cause by an error on the mainboard, and the drive is most likely 100% ok.

I see there are 4 non-functional A3s for $28.33 (Buy now) with free shipping on the big auction site.

The A2 I have goes directly to the setup screen and allows you to make changes there but won't go any further, is this the 'Welcome bug'?

Thanks for the tip about the big auction site.
post #4691 of 4877
If the player has the Welcome bug it will stop on startup with Welcome showing on the display of the player, and it is stuck there whatever you do.

I think you can revive your A2 if you manage to (re)flash firmware.
post #4692 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvasko View Post

Alright now I'm really confused, Replugged player this morning and did pop a Music CD in and had great audio. With that test passed I retried HD disc "Pitch Black" and it fired right up and I am watching as I type. I checked specs and I do have the 4.0 update version.

Now I did unplug player a couple days ago when trouble started so it would reset etc and there was no change so I as usual don't have a clue.

Anyway It's working and I am glad I don't have to bury it or sell for parts which I would have done.

Excellent. Maybe the reset worked, or there was some dust/dirt in the player that was preventing disc reading. Hopefully it will remain happy for a long time . . .
post #4693 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking61 View Post

I think it will. If so, you should start looking for a non-functional player with anything but a drive related error. Look for a player with the Welcome bug. That is cause by an error on the mainboard, and the drive is most likely 100% ok.

I see there are 4 non-functional A3s for $28.33 (Buy now) with free shipping on the big auction site.

I don't think those "non-functional" A3s are going to help, since none of them are able to read discs . . . probably all have bad drives also. I think you are looking for a perfectly functioning A3 that is cheap. I think I paid $50 for the last mint condition A30 I picked up a while ago.
post #4694 of 4877
I didn't go into the non-functional ads earlier, but I see now that the error on them is drive related. So as Rich86 says, they will probably not help you. And on 2 of the ads it is not even an A3 that is on the picture. If you come across a 3rd gen player with the Welcome bug, that would be much better. Or a fully operational player.

Btw, the Toshiba HD-D3 also has the DAV-RB722 drive. As I understand it, the D3 is the same as A3 just a special model name for the units sold through Tesco.
post #4695 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

I don't think those "non-functional" A3s are going to help, since none of them are able to read discs . . . probably all have bad drives also. I think you are looking for a perfectly functioning A3 that is cheap. I think I paid $50 for the last mint condition A30 I picked up a while ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking61 View Post

I didn't go into the non-functional ads earlier, but I see now that the error on them is drive related. So as Rich86 says, they will probably not help you. And on 2 of the ads it is not even an A3 that is on the picture. If you come across a 3rd gen player with the Welcome bug, that would be much better. Or a fully operational player.

Btw, the Toshiba HD-D3 also has the DAV-RB722 drive. As I understand it, the D3 is the same as A3 just a special model name for the units sold through Tesco.

OK, best to stay with working units...gotcha!
post #4696 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking61 View Post

I didn't go into the non-functional ads earlier, but I see now that the error on them is drive related. So as Rich86 says, they will probably not help you. And on 2 of the ads it is not even an A3 that is on the picture. If you come across a 3rd gen player with the Welcome bug, that would be much better. Or a fully operational player.

Btw, the Toshiba HD-D3 also has the DAV-RB722 drive. As I understand it, the D3 is the same as A3 just a special model name for the units sold through Tesco.

Yes - it is also my understanding that the HD-D3 is a Costco model number and is just a rebadged A3.
post #4697 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

Excellent. Maybe the reset worked, or there was some dust/dirt in the player that was preventing disc reading. Hopefully it will remain happy for a long time . . .

I agree, I only have 59 HD discs but they are goodies so it's nice to grab one like King Kong/Matrix etc and enjoy. I admit once I turned purple it was a then small step to Blu completely, but I was hoping for many years of use because it is used sparingly. It is kinda cool that there is a bunch of die hard rascals here. I wish I was more adept at self repair/swap out drives etc but as I said it would be a disaster.

Anyway thanks for replies and I will bounce back for a visit. I am still purple and glad of it.
post #4698 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvasko View Post

...

I am still purple and glad of it.

Me too, I've got around the same as you (63) and would like to be able to keep seeing them for a long time. I've got four players so hopefully I will be able to see them for a long time to come.
post #4699 of 4877
I have 350+ HD DVD and 2 players & 1 xbox add-on. I'd say 4 players will last more than a lifetime with normal use.
post #4700 of 4877
It's tough when you're an endangered species, Ive been through this once with a Beta Max (so long ago hope I remembered proper name) There was no support team or forums etc etc way back in Jurassic/Beta era.
post #4701 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

The A2 I have goes directly to the setup screen and allows you to make changes there but won't go any further, is this the 'Welcome bug'?

Thanks for the tip about the big auction site.

Are you able to open the tray while it is in setup? I would have burned a CD with the latest firmware and started the player with this CD inserted. Hopefully it will then start a firmware upgrade automatically.

If you already are on firmware version 4.0, you will need a modified firmware file to make it to run. I can make one for you if necessary.
post #4702 of 4877
I am purple too (few hundred BD's) and 470 or so HD DVD's,with several rare ones. I love my HD DVD collection. We still have have A2, A35, Onkyo 805 and LG BH200 I'd like to get an XA2. We'll see...always on the lookout for discs I am missing and still wish to add.
post #4703 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking61 View Post

Are you able to open the tray while it is in setup? I would have burned a CD with the latest firmware and started the player with this CD inserted. Hopefully it will then start a firmware upgrade automatically.

If you already are on firmware version 4.0, you will need a modified firmware file to make it to run. I can make one for you if necessary.

Yes, I can get the tray open, so you suggest putting in a v4.0 disc and go through a power cycle to hopefully start the update? IIRC the current version on this A2 is v1.27 (the original?)
post #4704 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalbabe View Post

I am purple too (few hundred BD's) and 470 or so HD DVD's,with several rare ones. I love my HD DVD collection. We still have have A2, A35, Onkyo 805 and LG BH200 I'd like to get an XA2. We'll see...always on the lookout for discs I am missing and still wish to add.

Wow! looking at that HD-DVD count you must have bunch of duplicates, I thought the total released number was around 360 titles, or maybe this is just the English speaking titles?
post #4705 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

Yes, I can get the tray open, so you suggest putting in a v4.0 disc and go through a power cycle to hopefully start the update? IIRC the current version on this A2 is v1.27 (the original?)

Yeah .. it's worth a try
post #4706 of 4877
I posted part of this elsewhere so those that saw it forgive me - I have the opportunity to purchse a HD A30 NIB for $75. Is it worth the small invest now or do I look at the XA2 or Onkyo 805 on the large auction site? Thanks in advance for the replies.
post #4707 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrj69 View Post

I posted part of this elsewhere so those that saw it forgive me - I have the opportunity to purchse a HD A30 NIB for $75. Is it worth the small invest now or do I look at the XA2 or Onkyo 805 on the large auction site? Thanks in advance for the replies.

IF you don't want (need) the A30, let me know as I would...
post #4708 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrj69 View Post

I posted part of this elsewhere so those that saw it forgive me - I have the opportunity to purchse a HD A30 NIB for $75. Is it worth the small invest now or do I look at the XA2 or Onkyo 805 on the large auction site? Thanks in advance for the replies.

great deal, do it! A brand new A35 will cost you more than $250 nowadays.
post #4709 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMDW View Post

Tried to control the Tv with remote as I had setup previously... nothing works. Seems the remote is shot. Going to look for another remote for replacement.

After a lot of thought, I unplugged the player and after a week or so, thought,..hmmmmmmm, plug it in and see if remote and everything works..... and it did!!. That stress test is complete...... setting things back up today....
post #4710 of 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonmandts View Post

I just picked up a MINT A35 with 65 movies for a tad less than 200.00.

*This player has 4.0 on it and so far no quirky issues. After reading hundreds of posts about issues people have, I was concerned.

I just did the same - bought the lightly scratched A35 on eBay with a pile of titles. I am upgrading from an A2 that I bought new back in its heyday.

So I take it V 4.0 is the firmware of choice around here?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › **Official Toshiba HD-A35 (ONLY) Thread**