or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Sony VPL-VW60 Tweakers Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony VPL-VW60 Tweakers Thread - Page 4

post #91 of 1578
Joe,

I bought an A35 from Amazon today, they're selling for $100 less than Best Buy. Couldn't pass the deal up. Then I think I'll be getting the new Panny 30k. Does your Pioneer do all audio formats?
post #92 of 1578
Yes, the Pioneer does it all and more. I was just watching King Of New York Blu ray with your settings and I cannot believe how nice the picture is... Great work Omar!
post #93 of 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post

IIMU that DVD is native 480i, and BR is native 1080p24

Thanks, I do understand the native resolution of BR and HD DVD, I was only asking if playing a DVD in one of the mentioned players if it would pull 480p directly off of the disc. I thought that standard DVD players had a limitation or something in the lazer that wouldn't allow it to pull 480p.
post #94 of 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by A/Vspec View Post

I never could get an exact answer to the age old question about DVD and how the 480 is stored on disc. I have read things about a flag on the disc that can be set for it to output pure 480P but I can not find that through google now. But I did do a search and still get two answers from two sites:

From CNET: http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5107912-1.html

480p - 480 progressive; form of standard-definition digital television (SDTV) comparable to VGA computer displays but not considered high-definition television (HDTV), though 480p is discernibly cleaner and slightly sharper than analog television. The native resolution of DVD is 480p, but that resolution can be seen only if a DVD player outputs a progressive-scan signal and the DTV has progressive-scan or component-video inputs; it is also known as EDTV.

Thanks for the link. I don't think this is where I read this but I know I read this from somewhere that I thought was a credible source for information. To hard to think back seven years ago. Thanks for the info.
post #95 of 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Yes, the Pioneer does it all and more. I was just watching King Of New York Blu ray with your settings and I cannot believe how nice the picture is... Great work Omar!

Thanks, Joe! Glad I could be of help. And thanks for the buying tips. I'll keep the Pioneer in mind along with the Panny. Want to see actual hard core testing of both when the Panny comes out. You have any links to reviews/tests on the Pioneer?

Omar
post #96 of 1578
Nothing yet on the Pioneer. It is still very new. If people could see a Blu ray or HD DVD title with your settings then they would not question the price of the Black Pearl. They would wonder why it is so cheap! Seriously.
post #97 of 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by A/Vspec View Post

It is the same as the VW50.

And since it was already posted in that thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0+Service+menu

I guess I will duplicate that here:

PLEASE DON"T GO INTO THE SERVICE MENU UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING - IF YOU PLAY WITH OTHER THINGS IN THE SERVICE MENU YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO PUT THE SETTINGS BACK PROPERLY! GO INTO THE MENU AT YOUR OWN RISK!


Enter, Enter, Left, Enter will allow you to access the service menu.

Enjoy!

Thanks.
post #98 of 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Nothing yet on the Pioneer. It is still very new. If people could see a Blu ray or HD DVD title with your settings then they would not question the price of the Black Pearl. They would wonder why it is so cheap! Seriously.

Haha, yeah I agree with you! Interesting thing is, "my" settings are pretty close to stock out of the box Cinema settings, with the exception of switching the Iris to manual and changing the color temp. I tried Mike's suggestion of Gamma 3 last night on Underworld and liked it a lot. I'm going to have to run that gamma program disc, because what I'd like lies between Gamma Off and Gamma 3...Off is a bit too bright and 3 is a bit too dark. We'll see what the disc says. Has anyone tried that disc yet to see if it's worth it?

About your Pioneer 95, have you had any glitches, skips, frame drops, pops or problems of any kind with the video or audio on it?

Omar
post #99 of 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post

Haha, yeah I agree with you! Interesting thing is, "my" settings are pretty close to stock out of the box Cinema settings, with the exception of switching the Iris to manual and changing the color temp. I tried Mike's suggestion of Gamma 3 last night on Underworld and liked it a lot. I'm going to have to run that gamma program disc, because what I'd like lies between Gamma Off and Gamma 3...Off is a bit too bright and 3 is a bit too dark. We'll see what the disc says. Has anyone tried that disc yet to see if it's worth it?

About your Pioneer 95, have you had any glitches, skips, frame drops, pops or problems of any kind with the video or audio on it?

Omar

I agree. I have been switching back and forth between gamma 3 and gamma off and I think I like gamma off best. One right inbetween would be nice. Flesh tones with gamma off seem better.
post #100 of 1578
It is all about taste because I keep settling for gamma 3...
post #101 of 1578
Well, Gamma Off gives better detail and highlights, Gamma 3 gives deeper shadows. Of course, it doesn't have to be one or the other, just program two User settings identical except one Gamma Off and the other Gamma 3, switch to taste depending on the movie

Mark, have you tried the calibration disc that came with the projector?

Joe, did you see my question about the Pioneer, regarding frame drops, etc.? The info (even if by PM to avoid conflicts and such) would truly be appreciated. Also how long have you had it, about how many titles have you tried in it, and how many if any firmware upgrades have you done? I'm trying to decide between it and the Panny 30k that's coming out this month.

Omar
post #102 of 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

It is all about taste because I keep settling for gamma 3...

Could also have a lot to do with screen material, ambient light.. etc...

Gamma 3 is the most accurate though according to the Sencore analyzer though.

Wish I had a HD/BR player so I could really try it out.
post #103 of 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post

Well, Gamma Off gives better detail and highlights, Gamma 3 gives deeper shadows. Of course, it doesn't have to be one or the other, just program two User settings identical except one Gamma Off and the other Gamma 3, switch to taste depending on the movie

Mark, have you tried the calibration disc that came with the projector?

Omar

No, not yet.
post #104 of 1578
Joe, just demo'ed a Sony 2000ES, looks pretty good. Have you tried one?
post #105 of 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by A/Vspec View Post

Could also have a lot to do with screen material, ambient light.. etc...

Gamma 3 is the most accurate though according to the Sencore analyzer though.

Wish I had a HD/BR player so I could really try it out.

Well, I have a high gain screen--VuTec 6.0, and total light control in the room.
post #106 of 1578
Same screen here. I posted a couple of pics to show my settings. As for the Pioneer 95FD I have not ever experienced a single frame drop at all. I have watched about 10 movies on it so far. I have not had a chance to see the new sony. Is it nice?
LL
LL
post #107 of 1578
What? No 2.35:1 screen?

Looks very nice Joe. Any pics of the seating/rear of theater? close up of the equip rack?
post #108 of 1578
Ok, I found a tweak for the gamma. It is under the service menu and go to "Display Engine" and it is "02 DE/UF SW" and the default is "1". I found changing it to "0" helps a bit with the gamma.

This setting controls the gamma shading and with it set to "0" I noticed my 100 IRE looks more white. Also I ran the gamma test and it is flat across the spectrum and a bit closer to 2.2

It is not a drastic change in the picture but it should help with bright whites.
post #109 of 1578
One of the Black Pearl and another of my rack. Also one of the screen (recently) before I painted the area black...
LL
LL
LL
post #110 of 1578
A few more...
LL
LL
LL
post #111 of 1578
My goofy signs and then my Wife's bar...
LL
LL
LL
post #112 of 1578
Joerod-
Would you consider adopting a middle-age "kid?"
Man, dude ! Do you ever have it goin' on there!!! That is sweeeet. Now I see why ya have the bright screen...with the medium-ish tone walls ! Well it looks great. Now we want the screen shots.
Thanks and congrats.
post #113 of 1578
Thanks! I would love to post some screen shots. I just need some practice.

Also, I know it sounds sick but I have the Colts/Pats game on with Dynamic and custom temp 1. Also black level on high and even gamma 3! It looks like a freakin plasma! But plenty of eye candy!
post #114 of 1578
I bet painting the area around the screen made a world of difference!

For screenshots, I would make sure that the color balance is set to daylight, use a tripod, and do longer exposures on a freeze frame.
post #115 of 1578
Awesome. i will try that... Thanks...
post #116 of 1578
Joe, your theater is damned awesome! When can I come over? I notice you have food prices "competitive " with most movie theaters these days. Sheeshh...a guy can't even get a break at home!
post #117 of 1578
I think that if Joe had decided on 3 chip DLP, those prices would be substantially higher.
post #118 of 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by A/Vspec View Post

Ok, I found a tweak for the gamma. It is under the service menu and go to "Display Engine" and it is "02 DE/UF SW" and the default is "1". I found changing it to "0" helps a bit with the gamma.

This setting controls the gamma shading and with it set to "0" I noticed my 100 IRE looks more white. Also I ran the gamma test and it is flat across the spectrum and a bit closer to 2.2

It is not a drastic change in the picture but it should help with bright whites.

Mark,

Your Gamma tweek HIT THE SPOT! Thanks man, now I have rich blacks AND detail. Wooohhhoooo!

Omar
post #119 of 1578
So how do we access the service menu?
post #120 of 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

So how do we access the service menu?

Originally Posted by A/Vspec View Post
It is the same as the VW50.

And since it was already posted in that thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0+Service+menu

I guess I will duplicate that here:

PLEASE DON"T GO INTO THE SERVICE MENU UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING - IF YOU PLAY WITH OTHER THINGS IN THE SERVICE MENU YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO PUT THE SETTINGS BACK PROPERLY! GO INTO THE MENU AT YOUR OWN RISK!


Enter, Enter, Left, Enter will allow you to access the service menu.

Enjoy!

---------------

Ok, I found a tweak for the gamma. It is under the service menu and go to "Display Engine" and it is "02 DE/UF SW" and the default is "1". I found changing it to "0" helps a bit with the gamma.

This setting controls the gamma shading and with it set to "0" I noticed my 100 IRE looks more white. Also I ran the gamma test and it is flat across the spectrum and a bit closer to 2.2

It is not a drastic change in the picture but it should help with bright whites.
__________________
-Mark
Audio/Video Specialist
www.digitalvortex.com

Home of the Medieval Knight Theater:
http://www.digitalvortex.com/MedievalKnightHT.htm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Sony VPL-VW60 Tweakers Thread