or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › The Official LG HD-DVD/Blu-ray Combo Drive Owner's Thread (threads merged)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official LG HD-DVD/Blu-ray Combo Drive Owner's Thread (threads merged)

post #1 of 1933
Thread Starter 
It seems that the low-cost dual format HTPC drive LG GGC-H20N (aka GGW-H20N, GGC-H20LI, etc) is out in Japan. Here is a link on cdrlabs showing a screenshot of the box with price tag: http://www.cdrlabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23697 . It's only ~$350 in yen apparently! My brother lives in Japan, so I'm going to call him tomorrow and ask him to see if he can pick one up in Akihabara and ship it to me. I may be the first one around here to get a hold of one before they go for sale in the US.
post #2 of 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pion View Post

It seems that the low-cost dual format HTPC drive LG GGC-H20N (aka GGW-H20N, GGC-H20LI, etc) is out in Japan. Here is a link on cdrlabs showing a screenshot of the box with price tag: http://www.cdrlabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23697 . It's only ~$350 in yen apparently! My brother lives in Japan, so I'm going to call him tomorrow and ask him to see if he can pick one up in Akihabara and ship it to me. I may be the first one around here to get a hold of one before they go for sale in the US.

How bout you have your brother buy about 20 of them and then I am sure enough forum members will buy them off of you! Will this Japanese version work in the US?
post #3 of 1933
Thread Starter 
It's just a hardware drive, there should be no difference based on language. And from the pictures the labels are all in english. I would assume that it is identical except for maybe the manuals. Even the package in that picture is in english. The drive might be set for region 2 or whatever by default, but I'm pretty sure you can change that easily regardless.

I could ask my bro to get a few but I would need the money in advance to do that.
post #4 of 1933
I want to buy one of these for the HTPC I'm building for my brother. I'll settle for the Pioneer bD reader if this combo drive is not available by 1 October here in the U.S.

I hope you kind AVS folks will post here once you spot these drives available for sale here. I'll do the same.
post #5 of 1933
...must...know...more

I know it's only been two days since the last post, but I thought I'd bump it just in case. I would LOVE a $350 hybrid drive!
post #6 of 1933
We all would.

If there were a group buy on this I'd be interested as well, but it would need to be arranged and handled by someone we could all trust thousands of dollars with. (no offense intended, but we don't know you from a scammer.)

Troy
post #7 of 1933
If your brother could find us a retailer willing to ship worldwide..with a secure website maybe:S???
post #8 of 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcCinema View Post

We all would.

If there were a group buy on this I'd be interested as well, but it would need to be arranged and handled by someone we could all trust thousands of dollars with. (no offense intended, but we don't know you from a scammer.)

Troy



How can you question whether anyone here is scamming when you are hitting up everyone you can for donations to a "project" that MAY end up netting you a lot of cash, new computer systems, etc without ever completing your end of things. No offense intended, but I don't know YOU from a scammer, either.........

JN Porter
post #9 of 1933
I went into Fry's in Freemont, CA today and saw a price tag for this new LG combo player listed for $299. They had none in stock, and showed none on order at any Fry's stores, but this is a good sign that they are forthcoming for this price at Fry's at least

And I'm actually going to be in Japan in two weeks, so I think I'll bring one back
post #10 of 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnporter View Post

How can you question whether anyone here is scamming when you are hitting up everyone you can for donations to a "project" that MAY end up netting you a lot of cash, new computer systems, etc without ever completing your end of things. No offense intended, but I don't know YOU from a scammer, either.........

JN Porter

You have 52 posts, and I have 4,500+.

I've been here since 2002 and helped thousands free of charge in that time and never before have I ever asked for a thing in return. I have a solid history of helping people, you don't.

Not only that but I've dealt with all kinds of people here personally and tons of people even know my address and phone number and have been to my house. I would ruin my entire reputation on my favorite place to be, and have people kicking down my door. You on the other hand would loose a history of 52 posts.

Aside from that, I have a team of very experienced professionals from here and other places volunteering on my project, so it's not just me. No, I'm not getting rich, not even close yet. But if I do it won't be from a few donations it'll be from genuine hard work and success from this project.

Just pointing out some basic but very important differences.
You don't even have a history of helping people on here.

I'm not mad and I still don't mean to hurt your feelings. You just don't even have the level of feedback I'd trust if you were selling a piece of burnt toast on ebay.

Perhaps you could do something to remedy peoples fears rather than trying to call me into question.


Troy
post #11 of 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pion View Post

It seems that the low-cost dual format HTPC drive LG GGC-H20N (aka GGW-H20N, GGC-H20LI, etc) is out in Japan. Here is a link on cdrlabs showing a screenshot of the box with price tag: http://www.cdrlabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23697 . It's only ~$350 in yen apparently! My brother lives in Japan, so I'm going to call him tomorrow and ask him to see if he can pick one up in Akihabara and ship it to me. I may be the first one around here to get a hold of one before they go for sale in the US.

Interesting... I have a friend going to Japan next week, I'll ask him to check it you

Filip
post #12 of 1933
Wow that looks great a low cost dual drive I will probably be able to get one here by October 2008 If im lucky as in Oz Technology moves slowly. October 07 in the US thats a short wait. We only just got 1080p lcd tv's. Everyone knows it as well any imported gear we pay top dollar for even on ebay.
post #13 of 1933
Thread Starter 
My bro looked for the drive but it was sold out at the store he went to. He did say the buffalo external usb drive was in stock though, as well as the blu-ray burner. I think he is going to check back in a few days.
post #14 of 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftheaded View Post

And I'm actually going to be in Japan in two weeks, so I think I'll bring one back

leftheaded-san: Akihabara wa "Geek Mecca" desu, ne?
post #15 of 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftheaded View Post

I went into Fry's in Freemont, CA today and saw a price tag for this new LG combo player listed for $299. They had none in stock, and showed none on order at any Fry's stores, but this is a good sign that they are forthcoming for this price at Fry's at least

And I'm actually going to be in Japan in two weeks, so I think I'll bring one back

I just picked up today's paper and the Friday Fry's ad has a listing for Pioneer
BDC-2202B5PK Blu-ray DVD-/+RW/CD-RW combo drive (Black bezel only)
for $299.00. That might have been the one you saw instead of the LG.
Either way, they are starting to show up and getting near my price range.
I just wish they were HD-DVD & Blu-ray combo's instead!!
grusome
post #16 of 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by grusome View Post

I just picked up today's paper and the Friday Fry's ad has a listing for Pioneer
BDC-2202B5PK Blu-ray DVD-/+RW/CD-RW combo drive (Black bezel only)
for $299.00. That might have been the one you saw instead of the LG.
Either way, they are starting to show up and getting near my price range.
I just wish they were HD-DVD & Blu-ray combo's instead!!
grusome

nope, that's actually what I returned to the store that day BECAUSE I saw this LG is on the horizon. Lucky for my I was still within the 30 days and I happened to go look at the BD/HDDVD section!
post #17 of 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

leftheaded-san: Akihabara wa "Geek Mecca" desu, ne?

i think you have me mistaken for someone else lol i have no clue what you said.
post #18 of 1933
leftheaded, you said you were going to Japan, so I replied in Japanese: The Akihabara district of Tokyo (where they sell the most high-tech toys) is "Geek Mecca," isn't it?
post #19 of 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

leftheaded, you said you were going to Japan, so I replied in Japanese: The Akihabara district of Tokyo (where they sell the most high-tech toys) is "Geek Mecca," isn't it?

oh, unfortunately I don't know more than ten words in japanese, and I've never been to japan! I'll be reading my phrase book on the plane

but yes, akihabara is the electronics shopping district. I'll probably be lucky if I can find one of these given my language barrier and the fact that it's going to be very new and rare anyway. sounds like local japanese are going to have trouble finding these in stock, let alone a tourist with a language barrier! but i'll try ahha
post #20 of 1933
http://cgi.*********/Buffalo-SATA-co...QQcmdZViewItem

That looks to be it . . .

Now, if only I had $500 in my Paypal . . .
post #21 of 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftheaded View Post

I went into Fry's in Freemont, CA today and saw a price tag for this new LG combo player listed for $299. They had none in stock, and showed none on order at any Fry's stores, but this is a good sign that they are forthcoming for this price at Fry's at least

And I'm actually going to be in Japan in two weeks, so I think I'll bring one back

This is great news, actually. I hope they show up sooner rather than later. For $300, this is a no-brainer and I'll build a new HTPC around this baby.
post #22 of 1933
so just too clarify, the LG Combo 6X burner is coming out on October 7th?

The GGW-H20LI model ?
post #23 of 1933
Best Buy lists the LG GGC-H20LI Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Combo for $299.99. Not available yet. Might order it anyway.
post #24 of 1933
Back ordered now... hm, may be worth just getting in line.

That is the price point that i've been waiting for.
post #25 of 1933
Wow...great price. This is the price point for me as well. Think it's time to start building the new HTPC.
post #26 of 1933
I smell something in the air... newegg isnt even listing that 1,000 version anymore. Hm.
post #27 of 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftheaded View Post

i think you have me mistaken for someone else lol i have no clue what you said.

When in doubt just say eggo-ga? (Yes, I spelled it phonetically).
post #28 of 1933
I ordered a GGC-H20N from Japan via a proxy service (I'm in Australia), it arrived yesterday afternoon...

As you would hope and expect, since all it has to do is read the physical discs, it works very well - it's also pretty quiet.

I had a quick look at a good selection of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD titles and it performed flawlessly...After the Paramount/Dreamworks announcement and the announcement/release of this drive I decided to go format neutral...Yesterday afternoon was my first experience of either format.

I am running the latest AnyDVD HD and PowerDVD Ultra, using a passively cooled 8600GT with 163.71 beta drivers, Core2Duo E6300 slightly overclocked to 2.12GHz and 2GB RAM...

I'm now one very happy HTPC'er
post #29 of 1933
Thanks for sharing that info. Glad to hear that it works well. I think i can wait another few weeks until they are released here to get one.

So what do you need AnyDVD HD for? Cant PowerDVD Ultra play the BR and HD-DVD disks alone?
post #30 of 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstorra View Post

I ordered a GGC-H20N from Japan via a proxy service (I'm in Australia), it arrived yesterday afternoon...

As you would hope and expect, since all it has to do is read the physical discs, it works very well - it's also pretty quiet.

I had a quick look at a good selection of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD titles and it performed flawlessly...After the Paramount/Dreamworks announcement and the announcement/release of this drive I decided to go format neutral...Yesterday afternoon was my first experience of either format.

I am running the latest AnyDVD HD and PowerDVD Ultra, using a passively cooled 8600GT with 163.71 beta drivers, Core2Duo E6300 slightly overclocked to 2.12GHz and 2GB RAM...

I'm now one very happy HTPC'er

Fantastic!

Did the drive come with any software? If so, what software?

Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › The Official LG HD-DVD/Blu-ray Combo Drive Owner's Thread (threads merged)