It is ALIVEEEEE! Looked bad a couple Mondays ago, but now my 960 is back after a chipectomy. I got the 6/7 light Blues one afternoon when I came home from work. Crap!! Well TVs have dropped alot in price, and I heard of sales because of the Superbowl. But, the picture WAS great, and being on a second storie apt, I wasn't looking foward to lugging this +200 Lbs., grey boat anchor downstairs. Then I found this thread. I would like to thank all who wrote on this thread and gave advice, and the pics helped alot!
Just wanted to give back and share what I did:
Removed back cover. Wasn't as bad as I thought. Then...I saw all the TV guts! YOU GOT TO BE F'IN ME! How am I supposed to fix this thing?!? OK, ok, went to read more of the thread. Might as well try it.
Found the D-board location. More reading. There are the chips...I think. Reading. Yes.
Observations: Work slow so you dont bend, unplug, break stuff. Have lots of light and beer...no, thats for after! I decided to remove the D-board for ease of soldering. Before you slide out the chassis, find any wires or connections that need to be unplugged. Take notes and/or mark connections. Note which way the chips are. I removed a small board on the left to get more room to work. I also removed the speaker above the tube for space and light. I left the 3 large wires on the large transformer alone. As you slide out the chassis, look for wires gettin pulled. I had to unplug two connections on the A-board and small twists holding wires. I used large hemostats to unplug small connections and the 4 large gate-like connections between D and A. The four gates need some rocking back and forth to get them loose.
Found and watched this soldering viedo that was a great help: store.curiousinventor.com/guides/Surface_Mount_Soldering/101/
For de-soldering, I used a station set at 625 degrees. It has a screwdriver like tip that worked great. Keep the tip tinned. I found flux is your friend and I swabed some on before de-soldering. The de-solder vac I was using wasn't doing the job. Well...it was ME not doing the job. I was holding the vac nozzle to the side. You need to melt the solder then put the vac tip right over the pin..suck...gone. Cool. I used a large magnifier lamp on an arm to check sure I got the chips loose, and I didn't melt anything I should't have. The hemostats got the MCZ3001DBs out with a little pull. A bright flashlight behind the board is good to check the holes where the pins were.
I soldered in two sockets. Rember the flux. The pins on the chips needed to be adjusted. I layed them down sideways and rolled them over just enough so the pins were not so wide. Make sure the pins line up to the socket and push firm to seat.
Plugged in the connections I removed. Checked. Re-checked. Power...BAM! TV! As I worked on this set, I rember going to the drugstore with my dad and testing TV tubes at one of those Zenith stands with all the sockets on top. Thanks again!