or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Consumer Reports Jury is back...Samsung 5084...not glowing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Consumer Reports Jury is back...Samsung 5084...not glowing - Page 8

post #211 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post

What are you Smoking? Those magazines take ad revenue from the very products they review. Consumer Reports does not take any advertising. I used to subscribe to Home Theater Magazine until they reviewed a Cary Audio Pre/Pro Amp combo with an advertisement and endorsement from Home Theater in the same issue the product was reviewed. Cary Audio glowed about their review in Home Theater Magazine in the same issue it was reviewed in. If that's not selling ads, I don't know what is.

Consumer reports is unbiased and they have spent thousands of dollars building listening and viewing areas for accurate reviews and calibration. I have been a Consumer Reports subscriber for over 20 years.

I said it months ago and I will say it again. I told you so. I was not impressed with the Pioneer 5080 or the Samsung. Panasonic makes the best plasmas by performance and cost.

AVS forum is biased by forum sponsors selling Pioneer plasmas and Pioneer fans who only see perfection in Pioneer when perfection does not reflect the picture quality.

I have always said Pioneer Elites are excellent but very expensive.

It's another clean sweep for Panasonic. The main reason for the big price drops in plasma pricing is directly due to Panasonic and Vizio with their pricing wars.

Amen to that..they have a VERY thorough testing facility and go to great lengths to review items..they don't just plug a TV in and ask 4 or five staffers.."Does that look good to you??"....The calibrate, run it through many tests and report their findings...

I sure don't trust many website or magazine reviews that rely on advertising money to survive.
post #212 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post

Omeletpants, your statements are completely false. Cordless phones were terrible by every manufacturer for well over 10 years. We are talking about plasmas here. Panasonic is on its 10th generation plasma while Pioneer is on its 8th and I think Samsung is on it's 6th generation plasma. I'm not sure which company invented plasma technology, I think it may be Fujitsu.

Technics was Panasonics line of AV equipment and for years they made the best CD and phono players on the market. They also made very good surround sound receivers at the time.

Panasonics reliability has been their strongest attribute for decades. If you know anything about Japan you would know that Japan is run by a kiratsu. If my spelling is wrong, sorry. This is a tightly guarded monopoly of vendors who control who gets into the Japanese market. The kiratsu controls the sales of components and parts. This form of collusion is illegal in the United States. That's why Mitsubishi makes electronics, cars and a whole lot of other stuff. The same can be said about Panasonics parent company Matsushita.

History lesson is over for now.

Is that the revisionist history lesson?

Panasonic cordless phones have been terrible until 4 years ago. They couldn't figure out the RF portion of the phone and they worked poorly.

Having been an audiophile since the early 80's I can tell you that Panasonics/Technics. was never considered anywhere near world-class. Go to any audio forum and tell them that and see what they say.

Great if you like Panasonic products but stop trying to claim they are world-class to bolster your argument
post #213 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post

Amen to that..they have a VERY thorough testing facility and go to great lengths to review items..they don't just plug a TV in and ask 4 or five staffers.."Does that look good to you??"....The calibrate, run it through many tests and report their findings...

I sure don't trust many website or magazine reviews that rely on advertising money to survive.

Where do you guys get these ideas? Anytime a new display shows a significant advancement, members posts all kinds of fanfare on these boards because they are excited about the advancement. When Panasonic was offering the best black levels that's what was being promoted on the boards. When Sharp came out with the best LCD the market had seen, there was lots of positive fan fare for it. Why is this any different? Why are you guys so upset that Pioneer is getting lots of positive feedback on the boards?
post #214 of 350
anyone who thinks the panny 50" 1080p plasma is better then the samsung 5084 or pio 5080 is a human wasteland and should hit themselves repeatedly with a hammer.
post #215 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmyprixgt View Post

anyone who thinks the panny 50" 1080p plasma is better then the samsung 5084 or pio 5080 is a human wasteland and should hit themselves repeatedly with a hammer.

Sounds like you have done that to yourself too many times already. Jackass
post #216 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Yeah, experience with one DVD player against millions produced is anecdotal evidence. Sorry that you have no understanding of mean time to failure analysis nor access to that information. For someone to say that panasonic quality is better then I expect to see some evidence. He has provided none and in fact, talked about how he viewed sets in stores and was able to judge quality. Tell me how you assess quality data from a viewing? That's not a very scientific method and I'm surprised that you support that conclusion.

Rarely do I see Panny sets in stores in torch mode unless torch mode means dingy, dark and lifeless. If that's torch mode, I would hate to see what happens with the other settings. It's incumbent upon the manufacturer to ship their sets with settings that will best display the plasmas capabilities. They know the conditions these sets will be displayed so maybe Panasonic is just stupid or doesn't care about how their sets look. Rant on fanboy and keep defending your purchase.

I will break this down into points so we're not talking past one another:

1. I wasn't trying to validate any conclusion drawn by another poster on the basis of anecdotal evidence - I was simply pointing out the irony of your criticism on this basis. Your own harsh and reiterated statements about Panasonic's products are also based on anecdotal evidence - so if anecdotal evidence is irrelevant, so is your commentary.

2. You have admitted that you have never viewed a current gen Pany plasma outside of a big box showroom, thus you have no legitimate insight to offer on the topic of Pany's PQ when the settings are proper and the lighting reasonably controlled.

3. Torch mode looks quite bright and painfully oversaturated, so you are probably correct that the panel you viewed had been set to an alternative picture mode. If, by contrast, the panel was set to Cinema in a brightly lit room, it would make sense that it looked dim in comparison to the others. Did you ever check the picture mode - and can you conceive of the possibility that your big box store of choice has arbitrary selected a mode or settings that fail to stand out under floor lighting? Picture settings, relative to the lighting, are the key to this whole debate, and until you have established that the model panel was setup correctly under the applicable lighting conditions, you should withhold judgment.

4. The 700/750U models I've seen in store have been in Magnolia setups, displaying Blueray feeds. Under these conditions, the PQ is very nice.

5. You are mischaracterizing me as a fanboy. I have never claimed that Pany's consumer panels match pioneers performance benchmark - they don't. Premium PQ and processing comes a premium price. I simply stand by my purchase as a satisfied consumer who feels he has received good PQ per dollar spent. The same is likely true of the Samsung 5084 - I just haven't had the opportunity to watch one at length; so I refrain from pronouncing uninformed judgment. Would that we could all agree to do the same.
post #217 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmyprixgt View Post

anyone who thinks the panny 50" 1080p plasma is better then the samsung 5084 or pio 5080 is a human wasteland and should hit themselves repeatedly with a hammer.

Samsung sucks. It is garbage and not worth owning.

I did a quick inventory of people who own plasmas. Four people I know have Panasonic and all love it, very reliable and great picture. One has a Pioneer and loves it. One has a Samsung but nobody goes to his house because he is a weirdo.

Buying a Samsung is like having sex with a fat woman. She has the right parts but who wants them?

Buying a Samsung is like confusing McDonalds with a steakhouse.

Someone should do a scientific study to find out who buys Samsung. I would bet money most are first time Plasma virgins who didn't know Samsung sucks. These people don't learn until six months later when they visit a friend who has a Panasonic and they see what quality looks like.

They were warned. Consumer Reports told them Samsung sucks. If they don't listen then they will have to live with an inferior product for many months until it breaks down.
post #218 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaMike View Post

Where do you guys get these ideas? Anytime a new display shows a significant advancement, members posts all kinds of fanfare on these boards because they are excited about the advancement. When Panasonic was offering the best black levels that's what was being promoted on the boards. When Sharp came out with the best LCD the market had seen, there was lots of positive fan fare for it. Why is this any different? Why are you guys so upset that Pioneer is getting lots of positive feedback on the boards?

First off, the performance of the new Pioneer 5080 is pure propaganda. Secondly, the forum fanfare for Pioneer is huge here because forum sponsors make a lot more money selling overpriced Pioneers vs. Panasonic or Samsung. Furthermore, the propaganda presented by forum sponsors makes it less likely an AVS reader will want to return their plasma if they don't like it. The word is drop shipper, once you buy it, it's yours. Unless anyone has experience returning a unit they don't like. If the purchaser doesn't like the Pioneer or any other plasma that is drop shipped, they pass it onto Pioneer tech. The forum sponsors are all authorized resellers their method of delivery is to drop ship.

I bought my Panasonic 50PX-600U from Newegg.com. They actually have the product in stock in their warehouse. However, my plasma was no returnable if I was unsatisfied so it was in essence, drop shipped. I'm not knocking drop shippers, I just get frustrated listening to them post all of this propaganda about Pioneer's 8th generation plasma being revolutionary when its not. It all about the money and profit margins.

If you read my past posts I've always praised the Pioneer Elites, but I don't think they are worth the price premium charged by resellers. Pioneer does not allow drop shipping of the elite series or as many online retailers like to call it, online sales. I have not seen the Kuro line yet in person.

With the dramatic price reductions on 50" plasma over the last 6 months, Vizio is going to be feeling the most pressure and heat from competition. Vizio's are decent but now that their pricing is inline with better displays, they're in trouble.

I always look at value vs. performance. When you compare the Panasonic 50" 75U to the Pioneer 5080, the price difference is in excess of $500 and maybe more. This hardly makes the Pioneer a good value.

In conclusion the great running back LaDalian Tomlinson is endorsing Vizio plasmas. This is not right, if he were endorsing Panasonic, Pioneer or Samsung, I wouldn't mind but it really ticks me off that he's pushing Vizio. Endorsing Vizio is like making Ryan Leaf the starting quarterback of the Chargers again with LaDalian in the backfield.
post #219 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiehowser View Post

Samsung sucks. It is garbage and not worth owning.

I did a quick inventory of people who own plasmas. Four people I know have Panasonic and all love it, very reliable and great picture. One has a Pioneer and loves it. One has a Samsung but nobody goes to his house because he is a weirdo.

Buying a Samsung is like having sex with a fat woman. She has the right parts but who wants them?

Buying a Samsung is like confusing McDonalds with a steakhouse.

Someone should do a scientific study to find out who buys Samsung. I would bet money most are first time Plasma virgins who didn't know Samsung sucks. These people don't learn until six months later when they visit a friend who has a Panasonic and they see what quality looks like.

They were warned. Consumer Reports told them Samsung sucks. If they don't listen then they will have to live with an inferior product for many months until it breaks down.

That's just uncalled for. Samsung makes good products. And Doogie Howser would never have sex with a fat woman or any woman, because he's gay. However, growing up watching Doogie Howser and watching him on How I Met Your Mother, he's a comic genius who happens to be gay. A great actor period. You are a disgrace to the name.

I on the otherhand represent Hans Gruber about as well as can be done. I'm the best!
post #220 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post

I on the otherhand represent Hans Gruber about as well as can be done. I'm the best!

Deutschland, Deutschland, Gruber Alles . . . . . . . . .
post #221 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Having been an audiophile since the early 80's I can tell you that Panasonics/Technics. was never considered anywhere near world-class.

With excellent prices, simple design and reliability, the TECHNICS phono turntables have been (and are) the most popular and durable, and preferred by DJs and scratchers everywhere the world over, so they are indeed "world-class". Audiphiles since the "early '80s" should know this!
post #222 of 350
Thread Starter 
oh yea...all hail hans!!!!.....

classics are being written before our very eyes in this thread.


deadcrowsflywest says: A++ would read post 217 again

post #223 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiehowser View Post

Samsung sucks. It is garbage and not worth owning.

I did a quick inventory of people who own plasmas. Four people I know have Panasonic and all love it, very reliable and great picture. One has a Pioneer and loves it. One has a Samsung but nobody goes to his house because he is a weirdo.

Buying a Samsung is like having sex with a fat woman. She has the right parts but who wants them?

Buying a Samsung is like confusing McDonalds with a steakhouse.

Someone should do a scientific study to find out who buys Samsung. I would bet money most are first time Plasma virgins who didn't know Samsung sucks. These people don't learn until six months later when they visit a friend who has a Panasonic and they see what quality looks like.

They were warned. Consumer Reports told them Samsung sucks. If they don't listen then they will have to live with an inferior product for many months until it breaks down.


The type language you have used in your post to make your point really shows you are as martter of fact a "senior Member".


The type language you have used in your post to make your point really shows you are as matter of fact a "senior Member".
post #224 of 350
With all this hoopla over _Consumer Reports_ ratings, why is there no talk about the recent _PC World_ ratings? (I have a real question at the end.)

In a chart (see http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,126398/article.html), _PC World_ lists the top 10 HDTVs, mixing LCDs and plasmas. (I think the chart is on page 114 of the November issue; at least that's the reference I came across.)

The two 42-inch sets I've been considering do not make the top 10 on the chart: Pioneer PDP-4280HD and Panasonic TH-42PZ700U (although the TH-PV700U does poorly at No. 8 despite having a great picture.)

PC World does weigh price as 25% of its ratings (unlike _Consumer Reports_, which, as I understand it, considers price only in awarding its Best Buy tags, not in its ratings).

Apparently _PC World_ did test the Panasonic TH-42PZ700U in another article, and it rated well down the list (see the article on page 110 in the November issue of PC World, LCD vs. Plasma . . . , at http://preview.*******.com/2eg69q [I hope these links work for you. I reached these articles via the Berkeley Library's research links using my library card.]

Here is an excerpt: Our test group consisted of five plasma televisions and seven LCD TVs; in our lab testing, we found that most of the sets were capable of producing superb pictures (as a result, their performance scores didn't differ by much), making design, features, and price more important. For various reasons, two sets--Pioneer's PDP-4280HD plasma and Toshiba's 42HL167 LCD--failed to make our Top 1040-and 42-Inch HDTVs chart (see page 114), but you can find reviews of them at find.pcworld.com/58463.

_PC World's_ top-rated plasma set was the Vizio VP42. The Panasonic TH-42PZ700U, my candidate, was rated tops for HDTV picture quality, but it was downgraded for its standard-definition picture, its unintuitive on-screen menus, its lack of neat extra features for your money, its clunky remote, and, of course, its high price.

QUESTION: So . . . do I stick with my original intention to buy the Panasonic TH-42PZ700U (because of quality and price), or do I now have enough second thoughts (obviously) to continue my search (now years and counting)?

NOTE: I'm stuck with the 42-inch screen, because that's the largest that fits into our armoire. Yes, I'd like a larger screen, but that's out of the question.
post #225 of 350
PC World, the most trusted advisor for plasmas
post #226 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSun View Post

With all this hoopla over _Consumer Reports_ ratings, why is there no talk about the recent _PC World_ ratings? (I have a real question at the end.)

In a chart (see http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,126398/article.html), _PC World_ lists the top 10 HDTVs, mixing LCDs and plasmas. (I think the chart is on page 114 of the November issue; at least that's the reference I came across.)

The two 42-inch sets I've been considering do not make the top 10 on the chart: Pioneer PDP-4280HD and Panasonic TH-42PZ700U (although the TH-PV700U does poorly at No. 8 despite having a great picture.)

PC World does weigh price as 25% of its ratings (unlike _Consumer Reports_, which, as I understand it, considers price only in awarding its Best Buy tags, not in its ratings).

Apparently _PC World_ did test the Panasonic TH-42PZ700U in another article, and it rated well down the list (see the article on page 110 in the November issue of PC World, LCD vs. Plasma . . . , at http://preview.*******.com/2eg69q [I hope these links work for you. I reached these articles via the Berkeley Library's research links using my library card.]

Here is an excerpt: Our test group consisted of five plasma televisions and seven LCD TVs; in our lab testing, we found that most of the sets were capable of producing superb pictures (as a result, their performance scores didn't differ by much), making design, features, and price more important. For various reasons, two sets--Pioneer's PDP-4280HD plasma and Toshiba's 42HL167 LCD--failed to make our Top 1040-and 42-Inch HDTVs chart (see page 114), but you can find reviews of them at find.pcworld.com/58463.

_PC World's_ top-rated plasma set was the Vizio VP42. The Panasonic TH-42PZ700U, my candidate, was rated tops for HDTV picture quality, but it was downgraded for its standard-definition picture, its unintuitive on-screen menus, its lack of neat extra features for your money, its clunky remote, and, of course, its high price.

QUESTION: So . . . do I stick with my original intention to buy the Panasonic TH-42PZ700U (because of quality and price), or do I now have enough second thoughts (obviously) to continue my search (now years and counting)?

NOTE: I'm stuck with the 42-inch screen, because that's the largest that fits into our armoire. Yes, I'd like a larger screen, but that's out of the question.

I was looking for info. on how PC World tests the screens. They didn't provide any meaningful "lab tests" that I could see in their reviewing process. My guess is all their reviews are subjective. That doesn't really do much for me.
post #227 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post

In conclusion the great running back LaDalian Tomlinson is endorsing Vizio plasmas. This is not right, if he were endorsing Panasonic, Pioneer or Samsung, I wouldn't mind but it really ticks me off that he's pushing Vizio. Endorsing Vizio is like making Ryan Leaf the starting quarterback of the Chargers again with LaDalian in the backfield.

Hans, you crack me up.

BTW - since I'm a San Diegan, I have to correct you about "LaDanian" and how to spell his name. Please never speak of Ryan Leaf again.
post #228 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaMike View Post

I was looking for info. on how PC World tests the screens. They didn't provide any meaningful "lab tests" that I could see in their reviewing process. My guess is all their reviews are subjective. That doesn't really do much for me.


this about sums it up:

Quote:


It may well be that calibrating the sets using professional equipment connected to their RS232 or USB ports would have improved their output quality substantially. But who wants to pay $400 to calibrate a $1000 set? Most people won't do it--and that's why we adjusted the sets for our tests using only their on-screen controls.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,137429/article.html



The rationale behind their ratings hierarchy seems to be "there isn't much difference between the tested models in terms of picture quality, so our ratings are primarily based upon ease-of-use, feature sets, menus, connectivity, etc."

or more precisely:

Quote:


There were no standout winners, but Samsung's sets--one an LCD and one a plasma--captured the top two spots on our chart. They didn't give us the best pictures, but their sensible design, variety of options, and reasonable prices lifted them above the rest.
post #229 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSun View Post

With all this hoopla over _Consumer Reports_ ratings, why is there no talk about the recent _PC World_ ratings? (I have a real question at the end.)
.............................

QUESTION: So . . . do I stick with my original intention to buy the Panasonic TH-42PZ700U (because of quality and price), or do I now have enough second thoughts (obviously) to continue my search (now years and counting)?

In a nutshell, PC World is held in even less esteem than Consumer Reports when it comes to the evaluation of tvs. They are rarely used as a point of reference on these forums. Unless they remarked upon some specifically negative aspect of the 700u which struck home with you as being something that you think you would be very concerned or bothered about, I wouldn't pay much heed to their ratings.

If you decide to opt for the 700u, just be sure you need a 1080p set. Most (not all, but most) people tend to agree that unless you are going to use it for a computer monitor or you plan on sitting within 5-6ft of the screen, there is no need to have a 1080p panel. You are better off saving some money and going with a 720p panel.
post #230 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Is that the revisionist history lesson?

Panasonic cordless phones have been terrible until 4 years ago. They couldn't figure out the RF portion of the phone and they worked poorly.

Having been an audiophile since the early 80's I can tell you that Panasonics/Technics. was never considered anywhere near world-class. Go to any audio forum and tell them that and see what they say....

Hm, Panasonic made the only decent 4-line cordless consumer phones for ages, and it still does.

Also, go to the receiver forum and search for Panasonic SA XR57. It is a cheap digital receiver, which while devoid of some features, is superbly musical. Musical enough, that after giving it a try on a whim (it is cheap:-), I sold my Pass Aleph (granted, I was looking to replace the Pass Aleph because it is a Class A box and it ran too hot for where I needed to place it, but I had tried several other boxes, from much better regarded names, and was unhappy with all. The Panasonic SA XR57 was the only one which approximated the sound of the Pass Aleph well enough for me (hooked to a pair of Gallo Solos + a Sunfire sub.) Well, a little 2-channel AudioDigit amp was a little smoother, but I went for the multi-channel convenience on the Panny, which now happily drives both my stereo room and my 7.1 TV room. BTW, the Panny is noticeably better sounding in my setup than the Denon it replaced for multi-channel.)

So, Panasonic makes some good stuff (including my 7-year old plasma, which still looks good:-)

That is not to defend CR, with the methodology of which I have some issues, as I've earlier pointed out.
post #231 of 350
To all debating the quality of the panny 50 or 42pz700u vs the fpt5084 sammy, I must chime in Im a former owner of the 42 and 50 panny I kept both through there break in period before returning them and now own the sammy, and from my experience The Sammy has blacker Blacks in contrast the pannys are more of a dark black/gray and far as whites go the Sammys are a brighter white, the pannys was a cloudy white not as clean. Inaddition to those key differences the sammy boast better colors qualitys, and an additional hdmi port and 1080P through VGA and component for the xboxers among us, now all the sets do a good job of displaying very minimal noise, and handling motion especially compared to the 52xbr2 i used to own.

So there we have it from a former owner of both Pannys and present owner of the Sammy.

My two cents.
post #232 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techtonic View Post

To all debating the quality of the panny 50 or 42pz700u vs the fpt5084 sammy, I must chime in. I'm a former owner of the 42 and 50 panny. I kept both through there break in period before returning them and now own the sammy; and from my experience The Sammy has blacker Blacks in contrast the Pannys are more of a dark black/gray; and far as whites go the Sammys are a brighter white, the Pannys was a cloudy white not as clean.

[From my research]... Now contrast the above opinion with an excerpt from this August 2007 Panasonic plasma review - remove spaces > http: //plasma tv buying guide .com/plasmatvreviews/panasonic-th50ph10uk-review.html --

Images are exceptionally sharp and crisp for HDTV input signals. Color reproduction was superb but the words most often used to describe the unit's on-screen image versus the other flat screen TV's were, "great depth, rich and clear, vibrant." I know the description of the picture sounds a bit like a good cabernet, but those are our thoughts. There are a few standout reasons that the Panasonic Plasmas triumph. One is the gray scaling in dark scenes. Two is the black levels. And three is color reproduction.

1. Gray Scaling: Image detailing in dark scenes is a sticking point with most plasma manufacturers due to the pressure of always attempting to increase black levels and contrast to keep up with the competition. With many manufacturers, much feature matter is lost as what was intended to be shadow detail turns to an over saturated black - thus losing all detail. Panasonic plasmas have been overcoming this problem for years and are only getting better.

2. Black Levels: The Panasonic TH-50PH10UK continues to show the dominant deep black levels that have won Panasonic so many accolades in this area. As discussed with gray scaling, it's really a combination of excellent black levels and great dark matter detailing within gray scales that create a superb picture for the human eye. Though we don’t entirely buy into the Panasonic (nor any other manufacturer) contrast ratio listing of 10,000:1 (we measured the 10U at around 855:1), I do believe they have the best black level technology.

3. Panasonic's plasma color reproduction strives for realism - not overjuiced overipe colors. This Panasonic professional model plasma is very well calibrated right out of the box in movie or standard mode to settings that will not fatigue the eye.

Dark Scene detailing in FIGHT CLUB was superb.

When viewing progressive 720P or 1080I HD signals I'm always pleased with the reproduction and picture depth. 3-dimensional images on a good plasma will surpass LCD every time.

While several manufacturers claim to have almost caught Panasonic in black level production and contrast, the Panasonic models continue to display the deepest blacks and smoothest gray scaling that I have seen. While viewing the anamorphic widescreen 2.40:1 DVD release of Fight Club—a dark film by anyone's description—I was able to discern sufficient definition in the dark detailing of fight scenes, clothing, and distanced objects. The proof that the Panasonic plasma could handle gray scales with no false contouring (banding effects in dark gradations) was also evidenced in the DVD release of Martin Scorcese's RAGING BULL. As De Niro pummeled opponents relentlessly, I was amazed that even with this black and white DVD release there were zero banding/ false contouring effects evident. It is not even a consideration any more with Panasonic's plasma TV offerings. This accomplishment is very difficult for most plasma TVs. The picture from the Panasonic plasma always deliver the most realistic colors, in part because these units do not get offensively warm with oversaturated reds as do so many other models. Gray scaling is drastically improved on this new model—with the most even dark level variations witnessed and monitored by my Sencore color analyzer.

Note: In this review we summarize the 50 offerings in Panasonic’s professional HDTV lineup, including the new 10th generation TH-50PH10UK. The plasma panels used in Panasonic’s professional line of displays are typically cycled into the consumer line of TVs after they have run for a while in the pro-lineup. For example, the current-generation 50-inch consumer model, the TH-50PX75U uses the same panel 9th generation panel as the discontinued 50-inch TH-50PH9U pro display. While picture quality has been consistent throughout the latest 4 or 5 versions of the Panasonic professional plasma, we explain the small changes that were made with each generation.


(END)
post #233 of 350
For our Panny Fanboys, here is a quote from the forum's top calibrator (UMR) on Panasonic plasma

"I find the current Panasonic plasmas totally unacceptable. I did not even bother with this type of measurement because it failed in so many other ways."
post #234 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

For our Panny Fanboys, here is a quote from the forum's top calibrator (UMR) on Panasonic plasma

"I find the current Panasonic plasmas totally unacceptable. I did not even bother with this type of measurement because it failed in so many other ways."

UMR discredited himself as not knowing what he is doing. If Consumer Reports rates Panasonic as one of the best then it shows UMR is wrong.

It's like a mechanic saying I won't work on Corvettes because I can't make them faster.

Panasonic is better than most plasmas. Samsung is worse than most plasmas. That's the truth.
post #235 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

For our Panny Fanboys, here is a quote from the forum's top calibrator (UMR) on Panasonic plasma

"I find the current Panasonic plasmas totally unacceptable. I did not even bother with this type of measurement because it failed in so many other ways."

Criteria? "...totally unacceptable" as to WHAT? - You gave two sentences from some other statement; where is the complete quotation?

If he really feels that a Panasonic plasma is "totally" unacceptable, I guess he favors only "one" brand as "acceptable" - ??
post #236 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTY PELICAN View Post

Criteria? "...totally unacceptable" as to WHAT? - You gave two sentences from some other statement; where is the complete quotation?

If he really feels that a Panasonic plasma is "totally" unacceptable, I guess he favors only "one" brand as "acceptable" - ??

That was the complete quote
post #237 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcrowsflywest View Post

oh yea...all hail hans!!!!.....

classics are being written before our very eyes in this thread.


deadcrowsflywest says: A++ would read post 217 again


LOL..I almost said Yippiekaiyay...
post #238 of 350
Consumer Reports Scores

Panasonic TH-50PZ700U - 81
Panasonic TH-50PX75U -- 78
Vizio JV50P ---------------- 72
Samsung 5084 ------------ 68
post #239 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

That was the complete quote

Please provide a link to this "complete quote".

The two sentences are in reference to "something" else ["...this type of measurement"] , so what is he referring to?
post #240 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTY PELICAN View Post

Please provide a link to this "complete quote".

The two sentences are in reference to "something" else ["...this type of measurement"] , so what is he referring to?


http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...885904&page=10
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Consumer Reports Jury is back...Samsung 5084...not glowing